IMDb > "Relic Hunter" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Relic Hunter"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Relic Hunter" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

ENJOYABLE TV ACTION FODDER.

Author: ALAN MOUNT from CARDIFF, WALES
17 December 2000

I needed to watch several episodes of this show to decide its qualities and I'm glad I waited as my initial response was not a favourable one.It takes a while to buy Tia Carrere as adventuress extraordinaire Sidney Fox but it did not take long for this beautiful and talented actress to make the role her own and she has superb chemistry with her excellent foil Christien Anholt who brings much of a Hugh Grant type persona to his part as the hapless Nigel.Their globe-trotting adventures are the stuff of 30's serials and are highly derivative but handled in a never over-played tongue in cheek fashion which makes the series ever more enjoyable as it progresses.The person,however,who pointed out that the episodes all climax in the same fashion has hit the nail on the head as our heroes are always held at gunpoint in a cave or suchlike every week and always escape in the same fashion.This is something that needs to be addressed if the show is to achieve syndication worthy longevity.All in all though RELIC HUNTER is a welcome addition to the TV action adventure genre.

a really enjoyable show

Author: lizzy-tilley from Canada
17 March 2008

I got hooked on Relic Hunter when I had to stay home from school for a week, because RH is on at 10 Pacific Time during the week. Although regularly I don't get to watch it. I think Sydney is good female role model, because she isn't afraid to fight back. Also, Nigel is the trusty, yet slightly clumsy sidekick and friend. Nigel and Sydney have good chemistry together. I really admire Sydney's hard working personalty. THis show is probably one if my altime favourite shows. Whenever I watch it, i'm always really engrossed in it. It's really hard to get me stop watching it. I try to watch it when ever I have a holiday off of school. Elizabeth

A really fun show!

Author: merkred from West Yorkshire, England.
23 May 2003

This is the type of show I really enjoy and in view of previous comments I have read I must say how much I have enjoyed Lindy Booth in the series - she is just so funny!. I am pleased that all of season 2 is now available on DVD and hope that season 1 will be released soon. Love it!

Indiana Jones Meets Tomb Raider.

Author: Mr_Garak from Cuba
1 January 2003

Relic Hunter is sort of a cross between Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider, Tia Carrere is the "Dr Jones" character of the series who goes on adventures to solver mysteries, find ancient relics, of course she runs into the occasional rival relic hunter and normally ends up fighting herself and her colleges out of dangerous situations.

Not a bad show, certainly better than some of the shows that currently air on TV these days.

A positive pitch for the show in question.

Author: Fox21 from AK, USA
8 December 2001

"Relic Hunter" is a really nicely done, fun TV show. People are obviously going to compare it to Tomb Raider, but other than the female protagonist, RH is a lot closer to Indiana Jones. But the best thing about Relic Hunter is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. There's lots of loose humor mixed into the interesting plotlines, which, again, are very Indian Jones-like. Tia Carrere and Christien Anholt are great actors and have great chemistry, although they aren't ever romantically with eachother. Lindy Booth was a great complimentary character as Claudia, and it's a shame that she left the show. The new girl(s) just don't do anything. I didn't expect much from this show at first, but the cast is really great, and Sydney and Nigel feel like good friends. Overall, Relic Hunter isn't a hard-as-stone drama or a throw-away action flick. It's an entertaining, fairly realistic show (in relation to a lot of what's on TV) that isn't afraid to laugh at itself in the process of doing its thing. I don't go crazy if I miss an episode, but I'm always up for watching it when I'm around. And Tia Carrere is a fabulously talented woman. She is a beautiful model, a talented singer, and a smart actress. "Nigel, duck!"

best program ever!

Author: vickie from Milton Keynes England
17 December 2003

Relic hunter is hilarious and tottally entertaining. The sexual frustration between sydney and nigel is hilarious and makes it very funny to watch. It may not be a multi million dollar program but it is definately worth seeing. I have spent over a hundred quid on relic hunter DVD's and i will buy more as they come out. top class entertainment!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic Series

Author: ebiros2 from United States
22 July 2013

The series is made by a Canadian company, and has a different look and feel from its Hollywood adventure / action counterparts.

The series may have been inspired by Eidos' "Tomb Raider" game that was popular around the time this series was made.

Professor Sydney Fox works for the archeology department at Trinity College - a fictitious school in "north east" area of Americas (which can be either in Canada, or the US). She spends most of her time relic hunting that takes her to many exotic locations around the world. She's an expert in ancient cultures, and martial arts. She's accompanied by her assistant Nigel Baley who's intelligent, but aren't nearly as tough as she is. In most episodes she goes into a somewhat scary situation where she and Nigel has to fend for their lives using their charm, intelligence, and martial arts skills. The episodes are much more story driven compared to American made TV series of this type. Ethnic mixture of part Hawaiian Tia Cerrerie, British Christien Anholt, and Canadian Lindy Booth (Tanja Reichert in the third season) is also unique in TV series.

What's stellar about this series is it's production. The producers of this series knew what they were doing. The characters, the stories, and the location are all superbly in good taste that holds up to repeat viewing. One very honorable mention goes to the series' cinematographer. You can freeze frame any part of the episode, and they all look like a perfectly framed, and exposed Kodachrome shot. No messed up computer graphics, or effects to kill the atmosphere of the story, and this in my opinion is one of the attraction of this series.

Stories are great, acting is great, so no wonder there's still a fan base to this series that's requesting more episodes to be made. If they are going to make another series, I'd like to request the original team that made these episodes come back, because the look and feel of the series was superb.

This is one of the best television series, and deserves further development in the future.

the best adventure show

Author: departed07 from United States
26 July 2003

This show finished on the week before I graduated from high school in 2002, after knowing about it, I decided to watch this show that my high school teacher recommanded. Relic Hunter is about a woman name Sydney Fox(Tia Carrera) that is like Lara Croft and Indiana Jones combined, as she goes out with her associates to find old ancient relics that other people and historians want. This is fun at its best, and what I like about this show is that it gets it right for being a Tomb Raider wannabe. And the idea that Sydney never uses a gun.

Thanks Mr. MacAulay

for fans

Author: tatsu2050 from Germany
24 August 2011

I watch a lot of TV shows and a show doesn't have to have a gigantic budget to keep me entertained. If it's witty, charming and has likable characters you don't mind cheap sets and more often than not bad actors around the main characters. I really like Tia Carrere in this show and... well that's almost about it.

In everything I read about Relic Hunter before watching it myself the figures Indiana Jones and Lara Croft were brought up. Let me put it in few and simple words where the similarities lie: * Indiana Jones is a university professor -> Sydney Fox is, too * Indiana Jones looks for relics -> Sydney Fox does, too * Lara Croft got martial arts skills -> Sydney Fox does, too

Now let's take a look at the differences: * Indy Jones is a really intelligent man who knows very much and has to figure out intriguing riddles -> Sydney Fox never gives the impression she is a top professor with a vast knowledge about what she does. When she solves a riddle its more like putting a puzzle together than using a lot of wit. * Lara Croft is just completely kick-ass in everything she does -> Sydney Fox shows some vulnerability here and there (not a bad thing in general), and being kick-ass mostly focuses on the fight scenes.

In most shows there is the concept of the hero of the show and the comic relief sidekick. In this case the sidekick would be Nigel, nerdy teaching assistant from England with his slightly distinguished British accent and manner. This would be a good mix if the Sydney character was actually really knowledgeable and kick-ass and the sidekick really nerdy and funny. Thing is they're both just not all that extreme in their ways so you sometimes wonder who plays who's part.

The one thing that is really above average about this show are the fight scenes. Those are well executed and pretty often have some slapstick element to them that is actually funny. And Tia Carrere is really good in her role. I'm not a fanboy but have to say, if it wasn't for her charisma I wouldn't have gotten past the first episode.

I give this show a 5/10 because of Tia, the fight scenes and the general concept of the show.

Great, however needs different time slot.

Author: thinkantihero from Montana
7 October 2001

A fun and entertaining new series. I personally think that Tia Carrera has chosen a good career move. I highly enjoy her assistant English chap, Nigel. The stories are fun and original. The only thing that might put a damper on this series is the time slot. Mountain Standard Time (my time), the show is on at 4 a.m. Sunday morning. In my opinion I think that is should be pushed up to an earlier time or pushed to a different day. Overall the series is great!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]