IMDb > "Jackson's Wharf" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Jackson's Wharf" More at IMDbPro »

Not bad

Author: Jason from Auckland, New Zealand
17 August 1999

This programme has only recently started in New Zealand, and looks interesting. The characters have decent lines, and the plot seems okay (even if in some places it is a bit ridiculous). I will be following the show's progress with interest.

True to life kiwi drama

Author: thegrassisalwaysgreener from New Zealand
15 June 2006

Completely unglamorous drama, that epitomises New Zealand, with, of course, the added drama. Unlike Shortland Street, which shares the same pool of actors, Jackson's takes on the one hour a week format which allows it to have more believable drama. But Jackson's goes further that Shortland Street which tends to glaze a veil of city shine over itself, Jackson's doesn't pretend to be set anywhere else than a small rural town. And to it's credit, it stays amazingly true to itself. What I love about Jackson's Wharf is the interiors, the scenery, the life depicts any rural town in New Zealand. Somehow it manages to combine reality and drama, and in some episodes even draws you in so far, you could be sitting at a nearby table at the hotel bar. The houses are real, the superette/dairy is real, the characters may lead more dramatic lives than your next door neighbour, but you could still be fooled into thinking, that indeed they were your next door neighbour. This is true late 90s NZ drama at its best.

I won't try and pretend it's some glorious show, that if put out on the international stage would rival the most renown. I praise it because it doesn't try to.

I'm not ashamed to say this is one show I'd buy if it came on DVD, unfortunately due to this being New Zealand, I don't hold my breath. So you have to catch it on TV. Currently repeating on Thursdays tv2, 1pm. Set your VCRs.

Damn fine police drama from Downunder.

Author: maverick-60 from Auckland New Zealand
6 October 2000

This a damn fine TV drama, damn fine, if I may say so myself. Congratulations to the producers, who are honouring the Treaty of Waitangi by making sure heaps of Maoris get roles - and they even get to play the good guys too. Unrealistic in real life, but, hey! - it's all make-believe isn't it? Kia ora bro!