IMDb > Tuesdays with Morrie (1999) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A beautiful movie

Author: Colin McEvoy (hunter_kahn@hotmail.com)
6 December 1999

This is a great TV movie about a retired teacher named Morrie Schwartz who is slowly dying of Lou Gherig's disease. Instead of being miserable about his inevitable death, Morrie has accepted it. An old pupil of his, Mitch Albom, has come to visit Morrie after hearing of his sickness on the news. Morrie starts to teach Mitch about his ideas on the meaning of life. He says "When we learn to die, we learn to live." When you can accept that you will die someday, you live life differently. He also says to always forgive everyone before it's too late and to love everyone. "We must love one another, or die."

It is made very clear from the very beginning of this movie that Morrie is going to die. Knowing this makes you dread the ending of this movie, but not as much as watching Morrie in such pain, especially at night. There were great acting jobs by everyone in this movie, including Wendy Moniz and Hank Azaria. But Jack Lemmon steals the show.

This movie reminded me a lot of "I'm Not Rappaport," starring Jack Lemmon's partner Walter Matthau. It's an excellent and beautiful movie that will really make you look at life differently, which is what Morrie would have liked.

Oprah's Doing

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
13 January 2005

Even though Oprah funded / supported this film with the change she had in her left pocket, her involvement in making this film possible was worthy. Jack Lemmon gives another brilliant / unrecognized performance as Morrie, the old friend and teacher who is preparing himself to die. Hank Azaria is surprisingly good as well. For a change, Azaria moves away from his work in comedy and many of his character driven roles to play a heart-filled character. By the second half of the movie, you forget that he is the voice of many Simpson characters. The ending of this movie is worth watching this movie again and again and again. If you have ever had to say goodbye to a loved one, you will understand and be a fan of Tuesdays with Morrie.

I liked it, even though I don't usually like this kind of movie

Author: Steve Schonberger from near Seattle, WA, USA
7 December 1999

Based on a quick summary, a movie about a man slowly dying of a terminal illness, I would expect to hate the movie. Most such stories are painful to watch, as if a movie maker thought that making viewers suffer to watch the movie would give them sympathy for the suffering of those stricken with the featured disease. But this one is an exception. It's not about the dying man's disease, it's about the man himself, and about the former student who visits him every week.

Morrie is dying of ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease. He is a retired teacher, and was Mitch's revered favorite teacher. Mitch visits him once a week, and reawakens their friendship. He finds Morrie's words so wise that he asks to tape their conversations so he might remember them better. Well, I appreciate Mitch's efforts, because I was happy to hear Morrie's words of wisdom also. Some of his advice is sappy, particularly taken out of context, but as a whole he presents very positive messages. Part of it is the idea that although he's sick, dying, and often in pain, he's not afraid of death, but rather interested in getting as much as possible out of the life he has left. There's much more to it than that, but that's the biggest part of his message.

But there's more to the movie than the message -- a movie with nothing more than a message (even one worth presenting) is bound to be boring. The real pleasure in watching this is that the characters are interesting along the way. The two stars' acting is first class. A regular "disease movie" would just make me feel guilty about not caring about its sick main character. This movie made me care about Morrie and Mitch.

A wonderful film to see with family, and without commercials.

Author: Amy Watson (amykay) from Central new Jersey
5 December 1999

Tuesdays with Morrie was ideally suited for the format of a television movie. A series of vignettes with narration from Hank Azaria, a film based chiefly on dialogue and example, Tuesdays with Morrie is a heartwarming reminder to all of what is important in life--even for people who believe they have it all figured out. Hank Azaria delivers a rare and precise dramatic performance. Jack Lemmon, of course, is right on the money. If at all possible, view the movie without commercial interruption. Somehow corporate sponsorship doesn't fit.

Beautiful coda to a great career

Author: Rob Barlow (rlamybarlow@yahoo.com) from San Gabriel, California
28 June 2001

For me, at least, the emotions portrayed in tv-movies can get watered down thanks to commercials. Not so with this one, which had me in tears for most of the film. Another great performance from one of our all time greats, Jack Lemmon, plus a very good one from Hank Azaria, and a terrific message on how to be a better person. Highly, highly recommended.

Great film -Can't understand why others bashed it so badly!

Author: john c griffin (jgil@insightbb.com) from Chatham IL
6 February 2004

One of a kind film that teaches us to enjoy each day and not take anything for granted. Also teaches us about amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and its devastating effects on even the most fun-loving of people (Jack Lemmon) and how someone's illness and imminent death can affect those closest to the victim (family as well as close friends) in both a sad and positive way. I thought this was a beautiful film and Jack Lemmon gave an excellent performance. When he was saying goodby to his "favorite pupil" on his deathbed and lectured him one last time "I'll be buried by a beautiful oak tree, you talk, I'll just listen." This movie has both a sad but beautiful ending in getting across the message that death is a part of living and shouldn't be feared. Maybe this message is too heavy for some of the other so called critics but we all have to face up to it eventually.

Great Movie!!!!

Author: Rob 1 from New Zealand
12 October 2000

Tuesdays With Morrie aired on Tv3 last night here in New Zealand.

This film was truly worth the Emmy awards it received. Hank Azaria was excellent but Jack Lemmon was amazing, making his character believable and interesting.

A great film. ***1/2 out of ****

A truly beautiful film about living.

Author: mrjamesharris from United Kingdom
27 November 2005

Just watched 'Tuesdays with Morrie' for the first time. And have been moved to tears by this gentle, charming, beautiful and thought-provoking film. I actually remember a few years ago seeing Mitch Albom, the author of the book (Tuesdays with Morrie: An old man, a young man, and the last great lesson) on which this wonderful film is based, on the Oprah Winfery show. He was telling the true story of how this special book came to be written and about how the experience had affected his own life. At the end of the show Oprah announced that her production company was going to be making his book into a film. I was very glad but hoped that the film would live up to my expectations. Now on finally seeing it I can honestly say that it has exceeded them! The entire cast is superb and Jack Lemmon in particular gives an unforgettable performance as Morrie. 'Tuesdays with Morrie' is a profoundly moving, deeply touching, life affirming film. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Didn't insult us

Author: Kevin (isleofdawn) from Ypsilanti, MI
3 October 2003

This is one of those rare television events that didn't dumb itself down in order to reach a wider audience. It stayed true to the book and the only complaint I could see were minor problems with pacing. All-in-all, I regard this work as what I hope television will become but am fearful these types of shows will remain the exception.

A wonderful lesson in life.

Author: kstephens from Toronto, Canada
11 September 2001

I admit I was cynical in finding and watching this movie. Beforehand, I felt Oprah's influence would veer the film in a certain direction and it would represent the worst aspects of the TV movie: being treacly, and unrealistic. But Jack Lemmon's presence ensured my interest. (This, after all, was the illustrious actor's last performance.) I was rewarded by a clear-eyed, stirring, and often moving depiction of one man's dignity and the gift of living he bestows on a younger man. Both Lemmon and Azaria lock on to their parts with conviction, and I felt a real loving friendship existed between the men. I learned from this movie: lessons about communication and ideaology. It is a rare gem, honestly portrayed, and further proof (as if we needed any!) of Jack Lemmon's unique and breathtaking talent.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]