IMDb > Maybe Baby (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Maybe Baby

Maybe Baby More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A fun English romp for mom and dads

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
21 February 2004

"Maybe Baby" is a very British comedy about a married couple who are having trouble making a baby. He's a script writer who sees the foibles and farces involved in their attempts to conceive as fuel for a screenplay which could save his failing career. She's a Barbiesque beauty who's avoiding the advances of a charismatic actor while trying to conceive. A fun frolic through the camp and corny, "Maybe Baby" is about 80% comedy with the remaining 20% spread over drama, pathos, romance, contemplations about married life, etc. resulting in a light hearted romp which should play well with more mature married-with-kids types, especially females into English humor, in spite of lukewarm critical reviews. (B)

Great film

Author: (sandamy27@yahoo.com) from United States
8 August 2005

This film was terrific. The charisma between Joely Richardson and Hugh Laurie is terrific and completely believable. The movie is so powerful however that I would only advise seeing it in the company of others if you have already achieved your family size. In other words, it would be a very painful movie to watch with someone who was having trouble with infertility. It's funny, but it's also very true. For me, it touched at the heart of all the issues involved in infertility. And Ms Richardson is a superb actress. I've also seen her at the Haymarket in Lady Windemere's Fan and she is an excellent performer.

The semi-cameo (and slightly camp) performances by Dawn French, Joanna Lumley, Emma Thompson and Rowan Atkinson made for fun entertainment as well.

Stop knocking it!

Author: kippunk (bobthebuilder64@mail.com) from Newcastle, Australia
12 January 2001

I just finished watching this movie about half an hour ago, and I fail to see what everyone has against it. Ok, I admit, it was more romance and less comedy than I had expected. But i think it is cool for Ben Elton to produce such an honest script and good adaptation. Hugh Laurie's acting is brilliant considering he's in a really out of character part, and Joely Richardson also performed well, suprising me again as I would never have chosen her to perform that particular role in a comedy film.

The biggest regret of this movie was the total waste of the brilliant Rowan Atkinson, Emma Thompson and Dawn French. At least Thompson and French were funny in their parts - whereas Rowan Atkinson was again cast in a brainless role that just reminds everybody of the overrated Mr Bean and not his brillint comic performances in Blackadder and The Thin Blue Line.

But, making up for all these casting mistakes, was Tom Hollander -AWESOME as in the role of Ewan. The accent is clever, he looks young and fresh and is very, very funny. His character and particularly his attitude towards English people emphasises the fact that this movie isn't meant to be really serious - it's just a good chance for everyone to sit down and have a good laugh at themselves, while also showing a bit of the pressures that might be encountred by an infertile couple.

Basically, i say stop "dissing" this movie and give it a fair go. Don't criticise the movie, just enjoy watching it. Maybe Baby is good for a laugh and a satisfying happy ending, and a bit of fun playing spot your favourite British actor.

Could have been far better

Author: Barnaby Marriott (barnabymarriott@yahoo.com) from Brighton, East Sussex, England
25 May 2000

Picture the scene - it's an office. Three ladies are sitting together, transfixed as a handsome young actor seductively recites a poem to them. When he has finished Joanna Lumley, with the sauciest grin you've ever seen on her face, says: "Darling, you're in serious danger of turning me back into a heterosexual!"

That scene alone is enough to see this film - I was in stitches for about 3 minutes!

I saw Maybe Baby the other evening with my friend Ruth, at a sneak preview. We both had very mixed feelings about it, agreeing that for the first half an hour it was fresh, funny and entertaining.

Maybe I'm biased as I am a major Joanna Lumley fan, but as soon as she disappears from sight, something goes slightly wrong and I began to look at my watch wondering when it would finish.

One of the biggest problems with this film is the casting of Joely Richardson as Lucy, the woman who is so desperate to conceive a baby. She is such an irritating character, not to mention soppy and bossy, that you really don't give a hoot if she DOES become pregnant. Personally, I would worry for the offspring's sanity with Lucy as a mother.

On the other hand, Hugh Laurie managed to be funny, charming, sympathetic and endearing, while Emma Thompson was great in her one and only scene as their hippie pal.

I practically closed my eyes whenever Rowan Atkinson (as Lucy's gynacologist) appeared onscreen - WHY does he always play these braindead characters? He is far more effective in the wily and acid-tongued roles like Blackadder.

It's a sweetly undemanding film, but if you are expecting anything like Notting Hill or Four Weddings & A Funeral, you'll be very disappointed.

Maybe Not

Author: michael-connelly3 from Maine
14 March 2007

Okay, this was not the Worst Movie Ever Made. But still, it is a too pathetic piece... It drags, it's lame-- even the concept is tired (the old "movie about making a movie thing"-- Been there, done that!)and even if true, it's not enough to make this worth watching. Hugh Laurie is nearly always worth watching-- hell, we'd probably enjoy watching him shave or change his motor oil, but the writing in this is ho-hum, the acting is uneven-- some very, very nice bits indeed, but cojoined with some truly looney characters (Emma Thompson, who I otherwise love, is simply whacked out here) and Mr Bean just doesn't belong in this movie. The film doesn't know if it's a drama or a comedy, or a comic drama or what. It lurches forth and back in tone, sort of keeping the viewer guessing. I think the movie may have been just an honest mistake. The director, after all, had a wife going through IVF at the time. Yes, there is humor in everything (well, most things), but this wasn't a comedy and it wasn't a drama-- It was like a steak and banana milk shake. Steak is fine, bananas are fine, but they don't go together mixed that closely. Is this film worth seeing? Sadly, no. It doesn't offer solace to the infertile, it doesn't offer enough laughs for those for whom infertility isn't a touchy subject, it's just there, and like a pile of dog doo in a meadow, it's best avoided.

A long sitcom – but still gently funny and sweet

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
29 July 2002

BBC producer and scriptwriter Sam is married to Lucy and are trying for a child. As they try all sorts of methods to improve their chances, Sam's work begins to suffer until it is suggested that he write about something close to his own life. He begins to develop a script based on his and Lucy's attempts to get pregnant – without her knowledge. However prying into he diary for more info he gets more than he bargained for.

A BBC film this features so many stars of BBC TV comedy that you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a sitcom with high production values. In fact much of the plot and the laughs come very much from the sitcom school of writing, albeit of a slightly higher quality. There are quite a few very funny bits, plenty of saucy moments and jokes and some very soapy, sweet bits. It does feel like a sitcom with high ideas – although it still manages to be gently entertaining, if never exactly brilliant in any sense.

Laurie is good without showing the wit that made him famous, while Richardson is very good back in a British film. The rest of the cast is made up of big stars like Lumley, French etc in all sorts of role and then a host of faces where you'll be struggling to remember where you saw them – I got at least two Eastenders actors in very small roles.

Overall if you like UK sitcoms then this'll be right up your street (and a little bit better than what you're used to), if you don't then this is very slight but it still might win you over.

Hmmm.......

Author: Britlaw from London UK
4 June 2000

This romantic comedy lost its way a bit leaving it only partly romantic and I'm afraid not always very funny. There are a few shots at Auntie (the BBC for our overseas readers) and several very good lines though some may be very familiar to those who have seen writer Ben Elton's stand up show or his BBC series.

A full cast of 80s alternative comedians makes their appearance, Emma Thompson almost looking identical to her mother in 'Saving Grace' in her mad hippie cameo and Dawn French affecting a bizarre Aussie accent as a nurse.

Hugh Laurie does well as always in his role as a sort of alternative 90s Cary Grant and James Purefoy will get most people's juices running (cf. the line by Joanna Lumley's character quoted in an earlier comment) but all in all this just wasn't funny enough, I don't know why, perhaps there were just too many targets.

Only 6/10 from me I'm afraid.

Sweet little romantic movie.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
25 July 2006

Most people seem to hate this movie as a comedy and see it as a bas satire on the world of television. The movie is however so much more. The main essence of the movie is on its romance and a sweet little romantic movie this is.

It's a well made movie, with realistic main characters in a realistic situation. Of course everything is done over-the-top, to still give the movie a light and fun overall feeling, rather than a heavy dramatic one, which it easily could had turned into. I like this approach and it worked out well for the film. It's fun but at the same time also serious at the right moments. It makes "Maybe Baby" a well balanced movie, that perhaps goes a bit too over-the-top at times, in terms of its credibility.

The strongest point of this movie are the two main characters. There are realistic and their relationship is portrayed in a sensible and good way. Those two character make and form this movie. It's a movie about real people with real problems. The are nicely portrayed by Joely Richardson and Hugh Laurie. But of course a lighthearted little movie as this also needs over-the-top comical characters. This one is portrayed by Tom Hollander. He for most part is the comic relief of the movie, as a movie director. Unfortunately the movie also thought it was necessary to give some famous British comedians a cameo in this movie. It's distracting and not always good for the credibility of the movie, though Rowan Atkinson's role is certainly an entertaining one.

The story is told nicely and has several story lines in it, which never distracts from each other. The entire movie is told with some subtle British humor which help to make this movie a light one to watch.

If you take the movie for what it is (a light romantic movie with humor in it), you'll certainly enjoy watching this little British movie.

This movie IS funny!

Author: pdianek from Virginia, USA
1 March 2004

Can't believe all the negative reviews! I found this movie quite funny, despite having experienced infertility years -- and several children -- ago. But do NOT watch this film if you're desperately trying to conceive, there will be much pain and frustration in it for you.

If, however, you're blissfully unconcerned with causing conception, then do rent it. Hugh Laurie is terrific, he gives his character such humanity . .. and incidentally has one of my favorite lines ever: as Sam trots off to give a first-time sperm sample, his angry boss shouts, 'W****r!'. Sam, seemingly truly puzzled: 'How did YOU know?' Joely Richardson is fine, lovely, and gets to show her bottom in a fetching hospital-gown turn. She also displays the many facets of a pregnancy wannabe, the frustration, confusion, monomania, and quite visceral anger over her body's refusal to cooperate now that she's old enough and mature enough to be responsible for a child -- when 15-year-olds have no problem conceiving.

The co-stars never quite steal the show, but they come close. Emma Thompson in dreadlocks? Yes! Joanna Lumley, tart as usual. Rowan Atkinson with a brilliant yet believable gynecologist take-off, and Tom Hollander, whom I had always seen as a good-friend (or is he?) type, in an outrageous performance complete with goatee and Glaswegian accent. Then there's Matthew Macfadyen (pre-Pride and Prejudice): acerbic, clueless and downright hilarious.

'Maybe Baby' (its title song sung by McCartney) is definitely worth a looksee. Put it on your queue.

Maybe Baby? Maybe not.

Author: Simon Peters (Simon_peters@yahoo.com) from BATH United Kingdom
2 August 2005

Maybe Baby is a bitter, misogynistic, mess. It has all the drawbacks of cheapness in production, and an inexperienced director, though it had the benefit of, count 'em, FIVE producers!

Elton has surrounded himself with the usual suspects in terms of cast; Emma Thompson and Dawn French both running madly amok, Joanna Lumley clearly unassisted by any direction, and Hugh Laurie and Rowan Atkinson both merely going through the motions. Atkinson in particular is very unfunny in a schoolboy's version of a gynaecologist, complete with vulgar asides and much gleeful flaunting of gynaecological instruments that look like instruments of torture.

The unexpected bit of casting is Joely Richardson. She is beautiful and her beauty is exploited in a rather unpleasant voyeuristic way - it is difficult to see a woman undergoing various humiliations while trying and failing to get pregnant while the director still thinks it titillating to give us several peeks at her body.

Most of the characters in the film are intended to be funny, but all are caricatures, with the exception of Joely Richardson. She is treated unsympathetically throughout and ends up paying for her inability to conceive by being made to appear not only foolish but unfaithful, until persuaded back to her abandoned husband by a toe curling section of romantic melodrama. The character of the film director is the least structured of the lot, starting out as a foul mouthed and completely implausible, Scottish yob, until the story demands that he become lovable, a task he fails to achieve with any conviction.

It is difficult to believe that a film can be this bad. Maybe Baby? Maybe not.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]