IMDb > Children of Men (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Children of Men

Children of Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 120: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Slow and little payoff

Author: michaelgs from Dallas, TX
7 September 2010

It is difficult to let people know the problems I have with this movie without giving a bunch away, but let me just say that it takes a highly improbable and unexplained event (all mothers on earth somehow stop having babies at the same time), adds some vivid imagery and a few half-baked ideas, and caps it off with a set of characters that we have little or no investment with at the end. There is little sense of jeopardy here; at one point a character turns up shot, but it doesn't seem integral to the story. This is the kind of movie that would be more interesting if it was either more believable or more thrilling. Taking a far-out concept and wrapping it in a plodding mess of a plot is a recipe for disaster.

Its not as great as they say it is! BEWARE

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
31 July 2010

CHILDREN OF MEN – CATCH IT ( C- ) Children for Men, Well I've been hearing about it since its been released. So, from last 4 yrs I thought I'll watch it but because of Clive Owen I was not interested at all. Well to be honest I don't like him at all, he has always disappointed me in every movie except for CLOSER! Let's talk about movie now, well it's a good attempt but it's not a classic as most of the critics and people suggest. The movie had its moments but I though everything was happening so fast that at one point it seems like too much. 1st Julianne Moore dies, 2nd then the people KEE is living with from months are evil, 3rd Michael Cain powerful security system villains finds in one night which looked like they all living in the same area, 4th out of the blue Mariam gets taken away and get killed obviously, 5th the whole villains gang enter into the refuge camp with full own guns, how even did they pass the security?, 6th in the end the whole army cease fire and gaze at the baby and then suddenly start fighting again and no-one report or try to snatch the baby out from them. Now that was just unbelievable. 7th Clive Dies thanks GOD and 8th we even don't know for sure weather people Kee is going to are even good or not. Anyways it's my Opinion. Clive Owen is like as always… fed of his life, this time he actually had the reason to be… Julianne Moore is delight as always. Clare-Hope Ashitey was a disappointment; I didn't felt her emotions at all. Overall catch it for its grittiness, the time flies by at least it doesn't let you bore!

Disappointing

Author: Steve Brulé from Canada
5 March 2008

After all the glowing reviews on this site I expected a passable movie, but the plot is about as believable as "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes."

There are interesting bits scattered through the movie; Michael Caine was very effective as a charming eccentric. There are also a couple of good musical selections, as others have mentioned, even a bit of old and odd King Crimson, but they were cut off abruptly in every case, leaving me quite dissatisfied. It would have been nice to hear more of the Ruby Tuesday number for instance.

The film is watchable and mildly entertaining at times, but not worth the $5 rental fee. If you are invited to watch it with friends, bring your laptop and you could get some email done during the dull, dreary, meaningless parts.

children of men

Author: rinkedo from United States
9 July 2007

I have to mark this movie for science fiction. No matter how bad the world situation is, societies do not collapse because of illegal immigration. Come on-the world's youngest person is beaten to death? When Kee has her baby in that filthy room, and they go on the run again, everybody who hears the baby cry acts like it's music to their ears, then they go right on fighting as soon as they are past. There's no reverence for life. I thought it was a bit scary to find white supremacists directly in charge of caged immigrants. Or crazed evangelicals loaded down with assault weapons. No wonder the society broke down. Those people rendered the government troops mostly ineffective. When a country can no longer provide security and basic services, the stage is set for anarchy. The movie reminded me of 1984. Regardless of the quality acting, the plot was sketchy and the story line was uneven. Even the chaos of war has a certain amount of organization to it.

What are people talking about? A bore.

Author: deschreiber from Canada
21 February 2011

I saw this movie on television and gave up on it after a little more than an hour. I went over to my computer to see if anything was new in my local newspaper. What a bore! Seventy-five million dollars only got you this? For some reason the entire world is going down the tube. Who knows why? Doesn't seem to be connected to the infertility issue. Only Britain (rah, rah) is in better shape; that is, it does have terrorist bombs, the streets are a mess with garbage and graffiti, and the countryside is swarming with murderous outlaws, but at least it isn't in flames like other countries. Our hero is conscripted to escort a pregnant woman to safety. Why exactly does she need protection? Um, I dunno, she just does. Everyone in the movie seems breathless with excitement, which the producers apparently thought was enough to create excitement in the audience. There's lots of chasing, people running and shouting, and I suppose that adds up to gripping entertainment for some viewers, but I'm being generous by giving this turkey a rating of 5 stars.

Sunken by Political Insinuations

Author: billion_mucks from Boston
25 November 2007

If "Children of Men" has got something really good, that would be the verisimilitude with which the near future is painted. The apocalyptic atmosphere, the desolated and helpless crowd and destroyed terrains, make up for a good aura on the film: the woods whisper mysteriously and the towns for refugees are grim and violent.

But that's about all. The movie will start as a puzzle with many questions unanswered. As some are revealed, other questions are placed. There is a feeling of an incomplete process, of an ongoing question mark. The points that explain their constant running from the government are feeble and unconvincing, so ¿why are they running? ¿Why not go to the government? Clive Owen is ungestured as a statue, bringing no lighting features to the acting skills. Was it that the goal he was trying to reach, he fails to communicate his sentiments all the same. Michael Caine is the only bright star, shining on it's lateral role.

Besides, we have to stand a far too prideful and patriotic script, making England the best and an unique power. It also is filled with political insinuations that at no point hit the viewer, nor interest him. Movies don't need that kind of subdued messages. It's attack to the immigrant policies, to the police corps is uninteresting and biased. The book is responsible yes, but they could well have cleaned that off. Who really cares about those "hidden" critics to the system?

All technical aspects are flawless. But the story is twisted and, too dynamic loosing the string to trap the viewer. Some shooting scenes are vivid, with steadicams vibrating and sound really scratching your walls. But, besides that, there is little to expect and pretty much nothing to ground for with "Children of Men". It's nice to have a good time, but you will see that behind that curtain of dynamite scenes and political innuendos, you are left with...nothing much. Nothing that would make the movie worth of being classical nor great, just a spur of the moment.

What am I missing here?

Author: fiddley from United Kingdom
23 September 2007

Well. Just finished watching a movie I have been anticipating viewing for some time and I am utterly confused. How on earth this flick has got an 8.2 average review, I cannot understand. Sorry to all those who loved it, but this film, for me, was pretty dire. The photography was OK, the sets and costumes were good. I thought Owen did very well with what he was given, but the plot character development, script and the other actors were, to be polite, awful.

What was the director trying to say with the movie? I get the almost religious undertones, and the introspection of the human race as destructive force but these things could be inferred merely by reading the tagline for the movie. I spent almost two hours expecting the film to expand upon the issue, and have walked away feeling nothing.

I don't understand the rationale of the opposing militia groups. Why the baby was deemed to be the key to one side having a tactical advantage is a mystery. What was their goal? I felt no compassion for the main characters, I thought Caine's character in particular was weak. The pretentiousness of the whole thing was astounding; Several long orchestral movements suggest some profundity, yet there is nothing in particular to read of these scenes.

The only thing a walk away wondering is - has IMDb become over popularised? I used to be able to rely on it's ratings absolutely to find a great movie. It seems anything nowadays is capable of being a top 250 movie. Then again I didn't like Lord of the Rings either, so I guess it's just me. Hope you enjoy Children of Men, but on reflection I will consider it total and utter tosh.

This movie was Blah!

Author: stevengamez from United States
24 July 2007

Man! This movie was such a disappointment! I have been wanting to see this film ever since I first saw the trailer, and I waited nearly a year to see it on Pay Per View last night. It had good actors and seemed to have a great story line! Where could I go wrong? Oh, and it has Sigur Ros playing on the trailer!! Boy, was I wrong! From the very beginning you're just throwin into a chaotic jungle of craziness. You find out that the world hasn't had a new born in a long while (of course, it never explains why) and (of course, you find THAT out in the trailer itself)....

I very excited to see Julian Moore in the cast, but she dies within the first 20 minutes of the movie and doesn't serve any purpose to the story line. Well, she does throw a pregnate lady at the main character (whom I guess is the main character?) and then dies shortly after (apparently they have some past romantic life with him, but who cares??? SHE DIES). There are a whole bunch of other "terrorist" that help her out, but it never explains their roles either.

There are also these people that are also trying to help the baby out, but it doesn't explain their role either. Why are they helping? Who knows! Why can't they tell anybody else? Who knows! The main character played by Clive Owen doesn't even know why he's helping out this girl, except for the fact that she has the last born baby....but, why does he care? It's not going to save his life? But apparently, Julian Moore told him so! Umm, what else? So, there's this really crazy, hippie dude that is friends with Clive Owen...we don't' know their history together, but the audience only knows that their friends. I had no emotional attachment to the guy, but of course..he dies...and I guess it was kinda sad to see an old man die.

So, here's basically the story line.

A girl who's pregnant runs around England with Clive Owen (with some random lady with crazy hair *not sure why she's there either*). There world is out of wack and England has a Nazi-like regime. There's a thing called the Human Project, and it apparently saves babies. There's a crazy lady at the ending who helps put Clive and the baby's mama in a crappy boat. And Clive dies at the end...with a horrible open ending (probably one of the worse open endings i've ever seen)....

I never write about movies, but I felt strong enough to let the world now I disappointed I am. It could have been SO much better.

Not as good as expected.

Author: j_a_s_p_e_r
19 January 2008

I love sci-fi. Good sci-fi. This is not sci-fi, it's a war drama (to be shelved next to Full Metal Jacket) First let me tell you what I liked about the movie. The world is extremely well presented as desperate, morbid and hopeless. The contrast of the hope of a single baby is equally well presented and will make a grown man cry. And even I, a grown man, cried. It contains some of the most gut wrenching scenes of warfare turned into the most beautiful thing I have seen on film.

Too bad one or two scenes do not make a movie (at least for me).

Now for why I rated the movie so low. The story of Children of Men was nearly completely revealed in the trailers. There is virtually no character development, the story is pretty straight forward, and yet unbelievable at the same time. When I say "unbelievable" I mean several convergences of character paths were so improbably that, if it weren't for the intensity of the scenes, they would be exposed for what they are : "deus ex machina" story patches.

Moreover, the story is preachy about its anti-war, anti-immigration reform stance and makes it quite clear that if a disastrous, hopeless situation occurs those things would send mankind over the brink. It presents the terrorists not as the "good guys", but rather the "not so bad guys". Imagery from Abu Ghraib were directly duplicated and used in the background of some scenes.

A note on the DVD release: The extra interviews with the extreme left wing activists really rubbed me the wrong way and their simplistic view of the world didn't even measure up to the complexity posed by the film.

Turn of your brain and enjoy!

Author: gronissimo from Netherlands
12 April 2009

Nice looking, but overrated.

I write this review specifically to counterbalance the ridiculous amount of overly positive "hallelujah" comments on IMDb.

CoM is simply not worth the high rating. It's got really great dystopian ingredients to start with (the movie actually starts out fine), but you can only have to much illogical elements in any plot. The storyline is NOT good, see other reviews for explanation.

It really is OK to watch, but as so many have commented: it feels like this movie was over-hyped by the movie company behind it, abusing public forums like IMDb. Or the world has gone mad.

Recommended only if the theme suits you and you can stand stupidity.