IMDb > "SpongeBob SquarePants" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"SpongeBob SquarePants"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"SpongeBob SquarePants" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Like it or not, this show is hard to avoid

Author: FrankBooth_DeLarge from someplace
25 July 2005

SpongeBob is a very popular show. Its quirky humor, colorful characters, and crazy plot lines make it irresistible. It's hard to avoid this show, even if you're an adult, or a teen. This show also cheers you up very easily. You may like it, or you may not believe that you're watching something like this, but either way, it will somehow get to you.

The story lines are focused around SpongeBob, an energetic sea sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea. Each episode focuses around him and his misadventures with other people in his town known as Bikini Bottom. His best friend is the dopey starfish Patrick, his other best friend is the land squirrel who lives in a submarine home, Sandy. Other characters in the show are SpongeBob's drowsy neighbor, Squidward, his boss at work, Mr. Krabs, the evil Plankton, and the driving school teacher Mrs. Puff. There are a bunch of other characters in the show, but most episodes are focused around them.

These days, Nickelodeon hasn't been doing so well. Most of their new shows are spin offs of old shows, and most of the new shows aren't good at all. SpongeBob is very reminiscent of older Nickelodeon shows. Elements like quirky humor, annoying neighbors, fun plot lines, slightly dark humor in a few episodes(not as much as the old Nickelodeon shows), mishaps at work, worst enemies, and mishaps due to SpongeBob's antics all make this show great. There are times when this show can become stupid, as a matter of fact, every episode uses stupidity in a certain way. Some episodes are smartly written, and in odd ways, certain episodes have a message in them.

There is nothing in this show that should make parents feel uncomfortable. In most episodes, there is some type of adult humor that adults and teens will find to be funny.

Everyone should see this show. Watch it with kids, or by yourself, either way, you'll probably have a great time with this show.

"Spongebob Squarepants" TV Series- 10/10. Very funny with lovable characters.

Author: movies2u from United States
16 January 2004

Spongebob Squarepants" (1999) TV Series

It seems that it wasn't long ago that this show aired on Nickelodeon, but it's been like 5 years, and Spongebob Squarepants' popularity hasn't decreased at all- of course, I can see why. This show is set in the small town of Bikini Bottom (a town under the sea that is home to many sea worthy creatures)- including a spontaneous sponge named Spongebob. He lives with his pet snail, Gary, next to two neighbors- a grumpy clarinet playing octopus- Squidward, and his best friend who is a starfish who couldn't tell his hand from his foot- named Patrick. He also has a friend who lives in an air dome, and she's a Texas native squirrel named Sandy, who got bored with life above water, so she moved to the ocean. Spongebob works at the Krusty Krab along with Squidward, a popular restaurant owned by the greedy Mr. Krabbs. And there is Plankton- a microscopic sea creature who owns his own restaurant- The Chum Bucket- a very unpopular restaurant, that hasn't gotten a customer since it's opening- so, of course, Plankton is always out to steal Mr. Krabbs' secret Krabby Patty formula, causing trouble for the krusty krew. Spongebob goes through one predicament after another, and this show is just hilarious. Some may find Spongebob annoying, but for those like me, we love him! 10/10.

The Best Cartoon Ever!

Author: Dick_Starky from United States
23 February 2005

Spongebob Squarepants is a sea-sponge. He is shaped in a rectangle, and is in the form of a common household sponge. He lives in a pineapple under the sea, in the town of Bikini Bottom.

He is often found to be annoying his cynical neighbor Squidward, the grouchy Clarinet playing squid next door, who definitely thinks the sea is half empty.

Next to Squidward is a large rock, where dwells a starfish with about as much intelligence as his home-sweet home. He is Patrick Star, neighbor to Squidward, but lifelong friend to Spongebob.

Over yonder lives a 'land squirrel' by the name of Sandy Cheeks. Her hobbies include the search for the 'Hay in the Needlestack', to biking in the Industrial Park.

Finally there's Mr. Eugene H. Krabs, penny hugging/pinching proprietor of the Krusty Krab; Spongbob's beloved workplace, and the home of the Krabby Patty.

On the subject of the Krabby Patty, that brings us to the esteemed Sheldon Plankton, arch-rival to Mr. Krabs, and generally very evil. His constant attempts to steal the Krabby Patty make for very funny episodes.

In Summery, this show can be summed up with a single word: Brilliant. It is witty, smart, extremely funny, with timeless characters, appealing to all ages.

10/10 A Classic!

Great show for all ages

Author: thanksbutnothanks9891 from United States
4 September 2005

I have been watching this show since I was about 9, and I am now almost 14 and I still find it hilarious. It doesn't contain profanity or harsh language, so it's appropriate for all ages. Even though I also enjoy shows on MTV, I believe that Spongebob Squarepants is a great show for all ages. Even my mom enjoys it. When I first saw the plot line, a story about a sponge who lives undersea, I thought it would be stupid. But I've been watching it for 5 years so obviously it stuck with me. Spongebob wouldn't be anything without Patrick Star, Spongebob's dumb neighbor and best friend. Spongebob Squarepants can teach you lessons, it can make you laugh, it maybe will even make you cry. Even though Spongebob is supposed to be an adult, it shows that you're never too old to act younger than you are. Spongebob is a great show no matter how old or young you are.

The best cartoon ever?

Author: demonchessmaster from United Kingdom
26 June 2005

I've only just started getting into cartoons again after not watching them for so long. I heard about Spongebob Squarepants and decided to check it out. Now I watch every episode religiously! It's amazing! I don't think I ever seen anything as surreal or as funny in a kids show as this! The show takes place in Bikini Bottom, an underwater town. Spongebob Squarepants (voiced by the amazingly talented Ton Kenny) is a sponge that works as a fry cook at the Crusty Krab, run by one Mr Krabs (voiced by Tom Clancy who many people will remember from Shawshank Redemption). Spongebob is a kid at heart and a little stupid, but gets up to the most amazing adventures. Alongside Spongebob are his best friend Patrick Starfish (Bill Fagerbakke) who is even more stupid than Spongebob, Sandy Cheeks (Carolyn Lawrence) a squirrel that lives underwater for some reason, Squidward Tentacles (Rodger Bumpass) Spongebobs moody next door neighbour, Mrs Puff (Mary Jo Catlett) Spongebob's driving instructor and Plankton (Mr Lawrence) a very tiny sea animal with a Napoleon Complex.

What makes the show so funny is the situations that Spongebob and his friend Patrick get themselves into. They are both very stupid and child like, meaning that they get into trouble on a regular basis, which makes for exciting episodes. There are some huge laugh out loud moments and some of them stuff that they get up to will make your stomach churn with laughter. All the characters are amazingly put together and they all work. Each have their own personality which allows them to carry on the story and let Spongebob interact with them all.

One of the funniest stories is the send up of Batman and Robin where Spongebob and Patrick try to bring out of retirement their two favourite heroes. Mermaid Man (Ernist Borgnine) and Barnacle Boy (Tim Conway). Anyone who's ever watched the classic Adam West Batman will appreciate the humour of this episode! All in all, a very funny cartoon. It's insane enough for kids to enjoy, but also so funny that many adults will enjoy it (as long as they get the humour). Take it for what it is. Don't' try and analyse it. Just watch and enjoy.

Oh and one more thing. In one episode, the background music is provide by metals most greatest heroes, PANTERA!!!!!!!!

10/10!!!!!

I love Spongebob

Author: Amy from United Kingdom
9 August 2005

I first discovered Spongebob square pants while I was on holiday in Florida. It dawned on me when I got back to England that we could get it on Nickelodean so I started watching it all the time and loved it! It's basically a kids show although sometimes it does have some jokes that are obviously intended to go way over children's heads. And I love it for that. Loads of my friends love the show and we're all surprised that we could be so entertained by a small yellow sponge who lives in a pineapple! Oddly enough though, my favourite character is not Spongebob. I love Squidward and Plankton and their bitter bored outlook to life. They seem remarkably cynical for Nickelodean which is why this show is a breath of fresh air and hugely popular.

HOLY CRAP!!! SpongeBob SquarePants is funny!!!

Author: dereklarma from United States
22 August 2007

I'm 15 years old, I have a cousin who is 5 years old, and my mom is over 40. What do we all have in common? We like SpongeBob! A show that is for all ages. SpongeBob is a silly cartoon that reaches young, old, and in between. Younger kids will enjoy the silly antics and slapstick. While teens and adults will enjoy a lot of adult and more witty humor that passes over little kids heads.

The show takes place underwater. The main character, SpongeBob, is a talking sponge, who works as a fry cook for Mr. Krabs, the greedy owner of the Krusty Krab. He also works with his depressing and more sophisticated next door neighbor, Squidword Tentacles, who is constantly annoyed by SpongeBob's crazy, stupid antics. SpongeBob's other neighbor and long-life best friend, Patrick Star, is a talking pink starfish that maybe the most stupid character ever. There is also Plankton, a tiny but evil character that is jealous of Mr. Krab's restaurant and always is trying to steal his formula for the sacred Krabby Patty, but he always ends up failing miserably. Then there is Sandy Cheeks, a squirrel that for some reason lives underwater in a space-suit. Sandy befriends SpongeBob and Patrick and loves to do exciting things with them. are these not the most ridiculous characters.

You might be thinking, this sounds stupid. Well it is stupid, thats the beauty of the show. The premise is so ridiculous that anything can happen. None of the episodes ever continue the story and plot of the previous episode. Its a cartoon. Every new episode starts a new story. And the story lines of the episodes are just sometimes ridiculous, but the characters in the show are so good that everything works. Squidword is a great straight-man for the comedy. He seems to hate his life because SpongeBob and Patrick are constantly ruining things for him. Not on purpose, SpongeBob and Patrick are just stupid. Especially Patrick who is my favorite character. The show at times seems to make a point on how stupid he really is. Sometimes Patrick seems mentally retarded. But he is good at heart along with SpongeBob. Mr. Krabs on the other hand is just plain greedy. His character amuses me because he is so cheap that its ridiculous. He'll do anything to save a dollar or make an extra penny. And Plankton is the worst one of them all. Plankton comes up with these Genius plans to steal the Krabby Patty formula but he has one problem, he is an 8th of the size of everyone else. all of these characters make for great comedy.

There is stupid comedy in SpongeBob, but there is also a lot of jokes and situations that only adults can understand. There is dark humor and even some witty jokes. Sometimes you will even see some references to pop-culture events. Kids will enjoy the silly stuff when adults and teens will enjoy some of the other jokes.

This cartoon is unique because its a kids cartoon but all the main characters are full-grown adults. Yes there sea creatures but they are grown-ups. But SpongeBob and Patrick act like little kids. Thats what I find charming about the show.

Watch SpongeBob Squarepants! Any age can find humor in the show.

My Favourite Nickelodeon cartoon ever. Patrick Star is outstanding.

Author: hatred_aside from Australia
22 June 2005

Spongebob is a cartoon not only to be liked by children but even elders because its sort of like Ren & Stimpy but not as filthy. Spongebob Squarepants is star of the show he is basically a yellow sponge living under the sea in a place called Bikini bottom. He has a job at a fast food restaurant called the Krusty Krab where he works for Mr. Krabs who is a very money hungry Krab always looking for a get rich quick scheme. Patrick Star is his best friend who is a Pink chubby star, in my opinion is the best character on this show, he's even dumber & more clueless than Homer Simpson. Squidward Tentacle is Spongebobs next door neighbor & also his co-worker at the Krusty Krab but can't stand Spongebob at all & hates working. They basically are the four main characters in the show but when you start watching the show you will start to recognize the characters more. A great cartoon for the whole family. overall from the two or three seasons i've seen of this, i would rate this around 8.5 / 10.

Masterful, perhaps mis-targeted, surreal stream-of-consciousnessparody

Author: Brad Eleven from Houston, TX
3 January 2001

"SpongeBob SquarePants" is an hilarious and often unpredictable cartoon series aired at this writing on Nickelodeon. Its regular times are Saturday & Sunday mornings, with occasional marathons and a semi-regular feature on Nick's Friday evening U-Vote feature. The massive amount of hype surrounding its release in mid-1999 suggests that the Nickelodeon staff really likes the show.

The series is clearly for adults, in the same sense as "The Simpsons" and "Beavis and Butthead" are. The marketing, however, is quite child-oriented, and somehow, the series has become associated with other Nickelodeon features which actually offer redeeming social value for children, viz "Wild Thornberrys" and "Blue's Clues". I don't mind, personally--I enjoy watching SpongeBob with my toddler-age children, although I do find myself answering lots of interesting questions ("Why is Squidward dancing like that? It's scary.", "You can't put fake arms on like that, can you, Daddy?", "Why is Patrick so dumb?")

The show features the voice talents of Tom Kenny (a perennial supporting voice in cartoons) as SpongeBob, Rodger Bumpass (another voice talent veteran) as Squidward the, well, squid, Bill Fagerbakke ("Coach"s Dauber) as Patrick the Starfish, Carolyn Lawrence as Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob's love interest, a squirrel with an air helmet), and Clancy Brown ("Buckaroo Banzai"s Rawhide) as SpongeBob's employer, the tight-clawed Mister Krabs. I have noticed in many features that "Mr. Lawrence" is credited as a writer; I suspect a husband-wife team, given that Sandy Cheeks gets some great dialogue--but that's pure conjecture, and I heartily welcome correction or corroboration alike. There have been several celebrity appearances, most notably Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway as the voices of fictional superheroes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.

I like the damn show. I was hooked on it for at least a year, from the Clutch-Cargo-flavored introduction to the United Plankton logo at the end of each episode. The plot lines' continuity is above average, with a well-developed cast of supporting characters who populate Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob's home. There are the obvious suspension-of-disbelief requirements, such as the watery environment's inexplicable tolerance for electricity and exhaled air, but this is easily counterbalanced by the whimsical misusage of jargon (SpongeBob, in a desperate moment says, "I'll use the Shell Phone!").

Classic episodes include "Bubbles", "Moon Rocket", and "Home Sweet Pineapple".

Ahh yes, the good show...

Author: Yoshi6666 from United States
26 April 2006

I remember when I first saw the show, the episode: Bubblestand. I loved that episode and decided to wait for more episodes. That was when I noticed that five million more episodes came on. Watched every single one of 'em. Tom Kenny does a REALLY superior good job on the voice on Spongebob. I loved it as a little kid, and I still like it today.

I love this show so much I could hug it. Too bad they haven't made recent and decent episodes these days. The newest one sucked. Anyways, this show is a really cool one because there is no point to it and there is mindless comedy! D:. I recommend most of you to watch it, for it is the best.

A really fair show indeed.

Page 1 of 30:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]