IMDb > "Cleopatra 2525" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

an hour show in a 1/2 hour slot

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
8 May 2000

I love Cleopatra 2525. The show moves like lightning, plot set up takes about 2 minutes and subplots, if any, are sketched in between bursts of gunfire. It's a show in which all extraneous elements have been stripped out, leaving you with a bunch of cute, underdressed girls running and shooting. Yes, sometimes it's incomprehensible, but when the show is on it's dynamite. In one episode Cleo relives the same scenario 3 times, a Run Lola Run in 22 minutes. The pace is breathless, Jennifer Sky is funny and adorable, the show is shameless (stripper transported into a future full of scantilly clad women is the kind of idea people come up with at 4 in the morning after a lot of drinking). It leaves you breathless. Anyway, I love "chicks kick ass" shows, and if Cleo isn't quit Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it's still great campy action. If only they would trash that horrible reworking of the song 2525. It has the most abysmal lyrics written ever by anyone.

Think before you judge and surprisingly good acting

Author: mjarvis0 from United Kingdom
18 September 2006

As I have said before in previous comments, some programmes are there to be 'Light entertainment'. So I get somewhat frustrated when commentators seem to be expecting a program that will reveal the meaning of life, you will not get that from Cleopatra 2525 and it does not presume to offer it. What you get is a girl who was frozen and is brought back to life some 500 years later and her adaptation to this new life is realistic. She does not settle in within 10 minutes as what happens with other time travelling adventures and neither is she the female equivalent of James Bond ready to take on all comers.Cleopatra is overawed by her new surroundings and frightened by some of the weaponry on display as most of us would be. However it is light entertainment, the stories have a beginning a middle and an end in quick time and their are some surprisingly good moments of acting. The episode when there is a double of Cleopatra is particularly moving and Jennifer Sky I think gives one of the best performances of someone dying for a long long time, and being a film and television buff I know what I am talking about. Finally to prove my sincerity I have purchased all but four of the episodes and I am entirely satisfied with my purchase. The only reason I do not have the complete set is because I purchased the other episodes before realising that there was one complete box set. Victoria Pratt and Gina Torres complete the trio creditably and for light entertainment Cleopatra 2525 certainly entertained me.

A Comic Book Come to Life

Author: richgei from Baltimore, MD, USA
8 March 2003

The same producers made Hercules and Xena. They were both action shows, but with strong emphasis on the dramatic battle between good and evil. Cleo, on the other hand, is a comic book come to life. Sure, it doesn't have the deep, brooding style of story-telling its predecessors had, but it's not supposed to. It was designed to be a companion to the hilarious "Jack of all Trades" starring the great Bruce Campbell (known as "Back to Back Action").

The Cleo woman are tough and strong, and yes, scantily-clad, just as comic book characters usually are. Unfortunately, some fans tuned the show out early because they took it too seriously. Understandably, the half-hour shows were dominated by constant laser battles and fist-fights. But the later shows were an hour long, allowing the characters to develop and grow. That helped build the drama and made the action scenes more effective.

Having the "Cleo" character (Jennifer Sky) be an exotic dancer from today added contrast and humor. And I'm not surprised that Gina Torres and Victoria Pratt are on new shows. They are both fine screen presences. So, relax, enjoy the comic book action and don't take it too seriously.

an hour show in a 1/2 hour slot

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
8 May 2000

millennial angels...

Author: tripperM from earth
10 December 2000

ya know the concept of "guilty pleasures"? yeah, you have 'em, like admitting you watched - and enjoyed - goonies, battlestar galactica AFTER they reached earth, v the series, charlie's angels, starsky & hutch, the 1950s version of superman, or godzilla movies.

here's the ultimate in guilty pleasures. coupled with jack of all trades in a sam raimi action packed hour, this half hour slot is fast paced, easy to follow, and loaded with fun-to-watch scanlity-clad babes.

the man that brought us evil dead, xena, hercules, and the adventures of brisco county jr does it again with this 2000 update of charlies angels. we got charlie (voice) an unknown being that has the knowlege and the time to find people who need help, bosley (mouser) the gadget man, and three gorgeous babes that kick a** for a living.

and oh what a living!

One of the most original, creative, and entertaining shows of the genre.

Author: skeptic1222 (skeptic1222@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, CA
10 September 2001

Everyone I told about this show (especially females) was most skeptical of its quality (to say the least), but quality is one thing Cleopatra 2525 had in surplus. After watching an episode or two however they began to see that this was much more than simple "eye candy" for men, this show had depth. Women are shown to be intelligent, powerful, and excellent leaders in this show more than any Sci-Fi series at the time. This show should be seen by all women for its pure self-esteem boosting qualities (my wife loves Sarge), "girl power" is in full force here (apologies for the cliché). Many people that thought the show was silly or degrading to women probably only saw the commercials for it, or a few minutes of the actual show (if even that) and never gave it a chance.

The show had a "pure Sci-Fi" storyline which never drifted into the paranormal (i.e. always had a science explanation without ghosts, esp, god, etc.) which was a breath of fresh air in the midst of the many idiotic shows of the time that turned to the Paranormal to explain their plot devices. As an example, when someone was "out of phase/invisible" and could walk through walls the writers went to great lengths to explain why they didn't fall through the floor to the center of the earth (ever hear another Sci-Fi or Paranormal show even try to explain that). All the villains had motives (known or unknown) and were never presented as simply `evil'. This show had great storylines, characters with depth, unique and creative set designs, gadgets, and special effects to die for. The means of transportation was a blast to witness (shaft travel) as well. The actresses were not just extremely attractive, but extremely talented as well. This was the ONLY show I made a point to record when I would be elsewhere, and I can proudly say I never missed an episode. My wife loves the show as well, although she can't stand the theme song and tries to make me mute it.

The series unfolded in a way I have not seen since Babylon 5 (another great show, but a bit on the Paranormal side of Sci-Fi) another of my favorites. The entire series was building up to a spectacular revelation, but was cancelled for reasons unknown (after constantly being moved to increasingly inconvenient time slots that is). I can't help but wonder that if the PR for the show emphasized the Sci-Fi qualities more than the attractive women (and attractive though they are) they might not have given so many the misguided ideas that probably led to the changes in time slots, and ultimately cancellation.

I give Cleopatra 2525 a 9 out of 10.

Cleo, Hel, and Sarge, you will always hold a special place in my Sci-Fi heart. >

Starts bad, but ends good! Superficial, action-packed and light story - take it for what it is!

Author: micke_rofon from Sweden
9 July 2008

There are moments when you don't want those deep drama-series. When you don't want series with heavy stories or a must to watch every single episode to be able to hang on. There are moments when you just want to watch a simple series, with lots of action and cool characters. For those moments, you have Cleopatra 2525.

I was one of those who actually enjoyed Charlie's Angels. Critics said it was to superficial and silly. But the thing is, that's the point! People who can't relax and expected a serious movie hated it. It's exactly the same with Cleopatra 2525. It is superficial. It has silly and unrealistic characters. And that's why I like it. It isn't like any other series.

The first season wasn't very good. The character Cleo was irritating and a little too much. The story was a little lame, and you didn't get to know the characters very much. But hey, they only had 20 minutes in every episode.

In the last 5-6 episodes of Cleopatra 2525, they finally gave the series full 40-minutes length. And it was here I started to love it. The series finally started to grow into a very qualitative series. Too bad they had to cancel the series. Because the last episodes of Cleopatra 2525 actually was very good. I will never forget Hel, Sarge and Cleo. Unique characters that only the creators of Xena could have created!

Really funny! You won't be disappointed

Author: Lyceus from Madrid, Spain
3 February 2008

Cleopatra 2525 is a very funny, entertaining show. You shouldn't take all the show seriously, but if you wanna have fun, that's your TV show. Being made by the producers of Xena is a quality guarantee, and Cleopatra 2525 isn't that different from Xena. The female warriors formula is brought to the future, where they don't have to fight warriors or gods, but dangerous robots which dwell in the surface, and the humans are forced to live underground. Along the two seasons of Cleopatra, they develop an interesting and funny underground world, and we get to know the three main characters: Cleopatra (Jennifer Sky), Hel (Gina Torres) and Sarge (Victoria Pratt). They all are different, but as a team, they work really well. The three main actresses appeared previously in Xena, like most of the regular/guest cast (there are some known faces from Hercules too, or from both shows). I specially liked the character played by Danielle Cormack (Ephiny in Xena), which is very different from any of her roles I previously knew. So if you liked Xena and Hercules, you'll love Cleopatra 2525. If you don't know them, try it: I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

A very wonderful and entertaining show!!!!

Author: beckyfan (beckyfan@general-hospital.com)
14 November 2001

I LOVE this show! I LOVE to watch the re-runs! It was sad when it was cancelled! I sent in a letter and petition to the studio and producers to have it not cancelled! I've signed many petitions online!

This show had it all, drama, suspense, kick-butt action, adventure and humor! Jennifer Sky was incredible as Cleo(patra) (I LOVED it when she sang on one episode!), Victoria Pratt was amazing as Sarge (She and I are both Canadian!) and Gina Torres was wonderful as Hel! The entire cast was great! Even the supporting cast and others! Kate Elliott was great as Lily! I really like her! I have a website about Jenni and Vicki and I would like people to visit it! I can't put the URL here but if you would like to email me you can.

I give this show a 100 out 0f 100! This show is really great! So if you get a chance to see it in re-runs, do so and tape it too. You won't regret it!

Finally, a good "Action Pack" Production!

Author: Phantom-43 from Boston, MA
20 February 2000

Anyone who's watched any of the "Action Pack" shows like Xena and the like knows that they range from the comically cheesy to the just plain dumb. But here, in this futuristic show, somehow the formula of action, slapstick, and pop-culture in-jokes works great. Jennifer Sky is hilarious as the unfrozen exotic dancer who's WAY out of her league in this bizarre Lewis-Carrol-meets-Blade-Runner-on-acid future world, but bluffs incredibly well. Victoria Pratt pulls off the square-jaw heroics better than many before her - a 26th century Xena. And Action Pack veteran Gina Torres is finally given a three-dimensional character. The fact that our heroes are gorgeous women with exposed midriffs is more incidental than you'd think..

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]