IMDb > The Trumpet of the Swan (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Trumpet of the Swan

The Trumpet of the Swan More at IMDbPro »

movie is OK but not at all true to the book

Author: wedgewu from United States
1 February 2005

Being a very large fan of the original story, this movie was absolutely abysmal. As a standalone movie it's just a bit below par (the songs are just awful), but given that it was based on such a great story, this film had something to live up to, and it falls far short of that. There are characters and storyline added that don't really make sense - and some of the best parts of the original story were omitted.

For some reason, the swans all have hair that is obnoxiously colored. Lime green, purple, yellow and orange?? I guess this is so you can tell them apart but there could've been a less anatomically incorrect way to do it... but I guess this will be OK for kids.

If you are a fan of the original story looking for a decent movie adaptation, DO NOT watch this movie. You will be sorely disappointed.

If you're looking for a cute and fun movie to watch with your kids, then this movie is adequate. But just barely.

Really sweet and has its heart in the right place, but it all seems bland

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
20 May 2010

I love the book by EB White and having seen Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web and really liking them, I looked forward to seeing The Trumpet of the Swan. Another reason why I wanted to see the film was because Carol Burnett was doing a voice on it, to this day I still love her as Miss Hannigan in Annie and I consider her a great actress and comedienne. On paper, Trumpet of the Swan had all the ingredients for a perfectly charming family film. A beautiful, charming book to work from and a great voice cast were the main attractions.

After finally seeing it, I felt that there were some good moments and everything, but at the end of the day it all felt bland. First of all, I highly appreciate the messages that the film had, learning the importance of reading and writing, overcoming disability, finding your own voice, honour and family love are great messages for kids and incorporated into the story in a simple yet effective way. Another redeeming quality is the voice cast, while I found the characters themselves bland I thought Jason Alexander, Seth Green, Reese Witherspoon, Mary Steenbergen, Joe Mantegna and Carol Burnett all do stellar jobs. Plus I think kids will find it very cute, there are parts where I certainly did find very sweet and well intentioned, as there are some touching moments.

However, there are also things that don't quite work. The animation I had mixed feelings about, some of the backgrounds are quite pretty with lovely use of pastel colours, but some of the characters are poorly drawn with some wonky movements. A lot less successful were the songs, they were sweet but they were also very sugary and forgettable and felt as though they were there to make the movie longer. Another component that didn't work as well was the story, there were some touching and humorous moments but the film's structure is somewhat episodic and rushed. That way I didn't relate to the characters as much as I would have liked, and that extra ingredient that made the book so charming was missing. Speaking of the characters while the protagonist was decent and Mrs Hammerbotham was likable in some ways, but some others Serena and the squirrels especially were rather cookie-cutter and the father did have moments where he annoyed me. Several of these problems lead to one major problem, the length, at barely over an hour the film was for me too short and that did affect how I felt about the characters and the story.

Overall, The Trumpet of the Swan certainly isn't a bad film as such, it just wasn't a particularly good one either. Kids will definitely like it, but adults may find it bland. 4/10 mainly for the voice work. Bethany Cox

Mediocre, watchable for kids

Author: long-ford from India
25 February 2009

This is a mediocre family friendly animation. It's nothing special but works as modest time-pass entertainment specially for young children. The story deals with a trumpeter swan who doesn't have a voice and so doesn't know how to attract a mate. Would it help if he got a real trumpet and learned to play? The animation quality is alright for home viewing. The voice work is decent with Jason Alexander, Reese Witherspoon and Carol Burnett managing to hold our attention. The songs are dull and feel like padding. The film runs a short seventy minutes and is acceptable for kids.

Overall 4/10

Okay

Author: swimmercait from Atlanta, United States
18 July 2003

This movie was not the greatest movie I've ever seen, but I did enjoyed far more than I thought I would. Most of the story is true the book of the same name by E.B. White. Except of course for the song & dance numbers (which were terribly annoying and for the most part unessecary) and a couple of characters were

also not in the book (the talking squirrels are a few).

The Trumpet Of the Swan would be best enjoyed by children ages 3-10, beyond

that the movie seems hokie.

4 out of 10 stars.

Cute, short animated movie, kept my attention the whole way.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
30 September 2003

With so few votes, it appears that few have seen this movie. I am a bit shocked at its low rating. It is barely 70 minutes long, the voice-acting is very good, with Reese Witherspoon, Jason Alexander, Carol Burnett, and others. It is about a hatchling trumpeter swan who doesn't have a voice. How can he "trumpet" and attract a mate? How about if he gets a real trumpet and learns to play?? I got this DVD on loan from my county library system, I planned to watch a few minutes of it late last night, to see if I wanted to see the whole thing, but found it so captivating that I couldn't stop. It is a total fantasy, with a brief commentary about the plight of trumpeter swans, but overall a nice diversion which would be enjoyed by any children, or childish grandfathers like me!

The critic Ebert has a complete review, however I believe his rating is a bit low for this charming little cartoon.

Almost criminally bad

Author: tibs-chris from United States
13 May 2010

The animation was terrible (the blue-eyed boy wouldn't stop rocking back and forth as though he was high). There were a bunch of really bad music numbers, and the plot wasn't anything like the original story. The scenes were jarring and made no sense. In one scene a kid at summer camp climbs into a kayak at the beach and fifteen seconds later he's in danger of going over a waterfall. Right next to the campground, really?? So a bunch of other kids get in a kayak to save him. All the while they were being directed by a single counselor who shouted incoherently through a bullhorn. The bullhorn even made annoying electronic squeals, but it was ANALOG. What? Oh, and daddy swan won't shut up, ever. In the opening scene he sings a song about his partner's newly laid eggs and then proceeds to JUGGLE THEM. The characters and settings in this movie were so bad that I'd rather try to watch Microwave Massacre again. I'm sure a lot of work went into this, but they should have invested a whole lot more.

Avoid.

Love the Book, Love the Flick!

Author: dmills9 from Alberta, Canada
17 September 2008

Now, I'm not one who likes picking apart a film, because of differences from the book, but ... I'm okay with praising it for accuracy.

My children and I had just finished reading the book, when we saw this in the discount section at the store. Well, we just couldn't resist giving it a try. We all truly enjoyed it.

Most of the details are true to the book, but more important than that, the spirit of it remained in tact.

With a strong moral lesson (or two) I really enjoy this just for causing you (and kids) to spend some time thinking about things that matter. It is also very upbeat overall, despite some more serious moments while the characters face large personal dilemmas. The voice talents were impressive and the animation was adorable and engaging.

The only negatives I have to say about this one are not a big deal, but there are two very weak characters. The 'mean kid' is totally unconvincing and pretty annoying and the camp coach is just confusing. (I don't understand what he says or why he is like that. Is it supposed to be funny?) But, since both of their roles are relatively minor, they don't ruin the film. So, sit back with the kids and maybe some popcorn and enjoy.

truly awful

Author: Neil van Niekerk (saxofonix) from New Jersey. USA
8 December 2001

This is one of the worst animated features I have ever seen. I can't see how this silly and convoluted story (and minimal animation) would appeal to either a child or an adult. Despite using a 'name' cast, the voice talents don't gel on screen. There is no depth to the storyline and in the end leaves you completely uninvolved with either the characters or the narrative.

Great Movie! Not Bad In Any Way At All!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
12 September 2010

I saw this movie quite a long time ago, and I thought that it was totally fabulous! Now I am wondering something, why does it have such a low rating? Does it deserve a low rating? The answer to me is no, because this movie is honestly one of the best motion picture releases of 2001! In my opinion, it is a shame that so many slander a great movie, because I loved this! This movie has got everything possible that is great, great animation, great voice acting, great music, and on the whole, great everything! So all in all, this movie is fabulous from start to finish, in fact, I honestly have nothing to say against this movie, because it is just so fabulous! This movie while underrated, is another movie that in my opinion you should see, because you are probably going to be thrilled with this movie just like I was! I am not kidding you, this movie is great, I don't understand why a lot of people don't like it!

I wanted to see this movie ever since it came out despite all of the bad reviews, because you can't let bad movie reviews affect your judgment, you have to see a movie for yourself before you can say if it is good or bad. Well I saw this movie and when it was over, I wish that it would have just kept on playing, because it in my opinion is Academy Award worthy! Does this movie deserve bad ratings? It does not, because this movie really has got a lot of things to like about it, such as the great music and voice acting!

Ignore the bad reviews and see this movie for yourself, because you are probably going to love it! Now on a scale from one to ten, one being the worst and ten being the best, this movie scores a perfect ten stars out of ten! So all in all, this is in fact another one of the greatest animated movies that I have ever seen in my life, and that is saying a lot, because I have seen a lot of great animated films in my lifetime!

very nice

Author: Mihai Mitrica (mmitrica@yahoo.com) from Craiova, Romania
28 April 2002

Cartoon like this one are made for all ages. Very wise, elegant with beautifull backgrounds and a excelent animation. Interesting and usefull for understanding youth problems. My son like it very much, me too.