IMDb > The King's Guard (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The King's Guard More at IMDbPro »

Movie needs a lot of help.

Author: ghostshieldstudios from United States
22 May 2005

The different actors within this film all possess more than adequate talent to have made a much better film. Because a motion picture is not fitted with a large budget does not mean it has to be of poor quality. Do not blame the actors for this lame motion picture, you are only as good as the tools you are given to work with. The fact they utilized a very limited scene display for their plot showed a lack of either imagination or budget. Maybe both. A much better film could have been made from the script used. Better settings for filming, better choreography of the swordplay, better costuming. Horses and better costuming would have helped the film. There are numbers of small independent film companies spread across America that could have done a better job with the budget this film had. Nick Nashoba

Entertaining and fun

Author: (ndimas) from California
18 February 2004

This certainly isn't the greatest movie ever made, but doesn't claim to be. It's just an adventure film with romance that's fun and thoroughly entertaining with a surprisingly good cast of newcomers. Trevor St. John as the lead definitely stood out (he's now on the soap "One Life to Live" and very nice to look at) I thought about a film in the same genre that came out about the same time, " A Knight's Tale" which also had a handsome male lead and romantic princess connection. The other quirky characters were also fun to watch. I think it warrants a good sequel with a somewhat bigger budget, if you know what I mean. It's a great movie for kids. Lent it to a friend and her little daughter could not stop watching it over and over again. A great movie for the family. It doesn't really warrant the PG 13 rating as I do not normally let my 10 yr old son watch PG 13 and am very careful about what he watches, but this was just fine. The outtakes are hilarious. Review from a 10 year old boy: "My favorite movie. It's funny with lots of action. Two big thumbs up!"

In the history of cinema...

Author: mak52 from Lynnwood, WA
4 March 2002

there have been many great sword fights. "Robin Hood", "Captain Blood" and even "The Princess Bride" come to mind. This movie is so bad to almost drive the memory of those great fights right out of my mind. Bad acting-oh yes, bad dialog-oh yes, but the worst choreographed fight scenes perhaps in the history of movies. I know professional stunt people are expensive but not spending the money really really shows.

Movies need a budget for a reason (Possible Spoilers)

Author: shadesinc from Germany
1 November 2005

Not the worst movie I have ever seen, but still in the same general vicinity. The King's Guard is a fumbling attempt to merge adventure and comedy. The humour often came off as really badly overacted nonsense and the action scenes were overlong and poorly choreographed. There was no grandeur in what should have been a grand adventure. It seemed as if all of the sweeping shots of wonderful vistas had been left out because they couldn't afford the extras to fill the spaces. The costuming looked hastily thrown together and this was explained by introducing the idea that the king's guardsmen were all acting undercover. It would have made as much sense if there was a scene where the king gathered his men together and said, 'Tomorrow is mufti day boys, so you can wear whatever you like.' The lack of extras/money was again shown when not very far into the movie, the narrator comes on to explain that the situation had become dire, due to an attack of overwhelming numbers of bandits and that during the fight, the allies of the king's guard had run off. The next scene shows some of the men of the king's guard pulling one of the carts that had formed part of the caravan that had been attacked…they couldn't even afford horses! The four or five thousand dollars that went into making the movie could have been used to do some good in the world, instead of stealing 92 minutes of my life.

Fine display by Eric Roberts, Sir Gerald, and Ron Perlman

Author: Evan Francis (evjofrancis@msn.com) from Alameda, California
21 July 2004

The costumes were good, acting was flawed in some areas not involving Roberts, Gerald, or Perlman. I especially enjoyed Gerald Cox's performance as the bumbling assistant. Good work! The sets were alright, not great, and the lighting was a little too bright. But I liked the characters in the film. Roberts stole every scene of course, but Gerald and Perlman held their own. I recommend this flick to most people. If you really want to see a good film with Gerald Cox, you might want to check out "Fangs of The Harvest." It's an indy short film about the twisted relationship between a father and his family on a camping trip, and Gerald plays a "no-nonsense" Sheriff who is very entertaining to say the least. Of course, Eric Roberts is good in "The Specialist" and "Runaway Train." Ron Perlman giving his best effort in "Quest for Fire," and "Hell Boy".

Great Movie and Good for the Family

Author: wtreadwell from Southern California
16 February 2004

I really liked this movie. Good story, good sword-play, classic tale with good guy, great bad guy and a fight for the princess. The family will really enjoy this simple but fun movie. Romance, treachery, sword-fighting - what more could you ask for?

You Know It's Good When…

Author: Ranger Kevin (AzRanger) from Rincon Mesa, Arizona
15 November 2002

…when you can tell the actors are having fun! This movie was a real pleasure to watch. It reminded me of the original Saturday Night Live show where the actors literally lived their roles and didn't care about trying to outdo each other hoping to get noticed and move on to (supposedly) bigger things. The only exception was the character Talbert (Eric Roberts) who didn't fit in with the plain and simple fun that everyone else was having in this film. While all were enjoying their parts, he acted like he just wanted to get it over with and hammed it up every chance he got. His lines came out stiff and forced. Example: after he killed Lord Morton (Ron Perlman) and took command of the bad guys he made this awful speech trying to rally the troops. No heart in it at all. Because of him I gave it 9/10.

Fun. The kid's loved it!

Author: (movie51@san.rr.com) from Roanoke, VA
14 August 2001

The movie was very enjoyable, lots of action and jokes to keep the family entertained. I have a personal interest in sword fighting and it appeared to me that they fought in a very authentic way for that time period. Also costumes seemed authentic. I recommend a big budget sequel.

Very Entertaining, a must for the family

Author: eileencraft from California
9 August 2001

The King's Guard was excellent. Lots of sword action and light humor combined with suspense and romance. I loved Eric Roberts' character and his quest for the princess. The ending was very clever and the out-takes were hilarious. It was a great film for every member of the family. They should do a big-budget sequel.

Great movie, should do a TV series

Author: louis-33 from California
8 August 2001

Fun family entertainment - love the action, swordplay and romance. Eric Roberts was fabulous. He's a great adversary. The princess was beautiful and I loved all of the characters. Scenery was exceptional. The costumes and weapons were authentic and I think they should make a sequel with a bigger budget for theatrical release - maybe Disney should pick this up!