IMDb > "Dark Angel" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dark Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Wish it did not stop.

Author: Dardania Lion from USA
5 June 2014

I really loved it. The first season is the best. The second one is okay but it does get boring with Joshua. The first one has some good things in it. Jessica tried to know more who escaped Menticore and faces hard time.

I wish, I really wish we had someone starting from season 3 but sadly it wont happen. Jessica has her family and wont be bothered doing this thing again. I have to say she did a really good job here.

Come on James Cameron, make us happy and start another Dark Angel series.

Find someone who looks like Jessica Alba and make it happen, just have a try and I am sure people will like it.

Don't do things just because of money. You have enough of it.

Having it play in Seattle would be really nice. Somehow I love this city.

Thanks

Could this actually happen?

Author: kris-bagnall
6 August 2012

Overall a very decent TV series, in my book a decent TV series make you want to instantly watch the next episode, not because of a silly cliffhanger but because as a package its just brilliant. Sometimes Dark Angel achieves this sometimes it doesn't. The first season took me a little while to get into but then it really gets good, as it ends and season two picks up Dark Angel takes a huge shift. I found Season 1 a much better season, with the mystery cult popping up from no where, Joshua (who was almost a jar jar binks character) and original Cindy barely featured in season 2. Season one was much more enjoyable. One of the gems of Dark Angel was the soundtrack with Chuck D (Public Enemy)at the helm, it was always going to be good. Even after a few years of it being produced the music is still top notch, this almost makes it better. The key thing of Dark Angel how close it is to the world we live in DNA and genetics being altered to make 'better' people. This could be going on somewhere in the world today. As the truth becomes known to the general public, what disappointed me is that the mass majority hate and want to kill anyone from Mantacore.I would like to think if this happened in our world today there would be a significant percentage of the population willing to accept them in our society and communites. If you are a sci-fi fan, this is well worth checking out (even if it just for Jessica, very hot)

Echoes peoples darkest fears of the modern age.

Author: lois-lane33 from Montreal
1 December 2014

I am a fan of this show. I thought the combo of Jessica Alba and Michael Weatherly was a good one. I only saw the first season-there were two seasons. Good pace and good setting makes this show work well. Good placement of humor helps also. There is way too much humorless SF out there which really gets old after a while. Despite the show being a few years old I find it is still watchable-maybe it even got better with age. Its funny to see Michael Weatherly in a not NCIS role because I have grown so accustomed to seeing him do the NCIS thing on the show of the same name. I haven't seen Jessica Alba for ages in anything. I guess this show can be considered proof she existed. The show explores the darkest fears of the modern age-that genetic manipulation exists and has been used to create people who burn twice as bright for half as long. A little like Bladerunner's Replicants. James Cameron was involved so you have to figure it owed its basic concepts to something else. Other than than derivative element of it-its not a bad ride. I give it a seven for the acting but I think the derivative nature of the plots underpinning is at a five level. Gots to pay them bills I guess.

i loved this show. But i was disappointed

Author: sally_hardesty2 from Canada
4 March 2012

For what it was i loved this show. The first season was great. It had great ideas and interesting characters. There were other ways i would have loved the show to go other then the way it went. But the second season was horrible. It had a completely different writing scale. It 100% disappointed me. It deviated so much from the original story, it was difficult to follow and felt like it was completely rushed to get it over with. I was extremely disappointed in the fact that a large part of Max's x5 group was dead. When all she ever wanted to know was that they were OK. I think Zack or William Gregory Lee got a raw deal when he died and i would had loved to see Max and him together more.Tingas death just plain upset me. Then the whole ending stunk. I was never a real fan of the alba and weatherly relationship to begin with.

If this show had not been as expensive i wish they would have explored more about the x5 group instead of the scifi freakier x7s and direction they went. I liked the original plot. Rather then the more extravagant issues coming on the end. If i could say one thing to the writers it would have been less is more and drop the whole Joshua daddy complex thing that wrecked it.

Nifty show

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
17 September 2009

In the the middle of a dark Winter's night (set in this year ironically 2009) a handful of genetically engineered kids escape the asylum in which they were trained to be super soldiers under the command of the tyrant-like Donald Lydecker. Some escape the guard some don't. Those who do escape split up and go their own ways. Twenty years or so later, America is in a major economic depression, and this is where we meet Max Guevera. Downtown in a West Coast American city, she works as a postal delivery girl, with her roommate 'Original' Cindy. Max has one objective in life at the moment, to be reunited with her brothers and sisters. Like her, they are all out there somewhere trying to hide from Lydecker and his goons. One night in a strange turn of events, Max meets Logan Cale, a technology whiz and a journalist. They strike a deal, Max will act as his spy, to help him bring down suspected criminals, and He will try and help Max locate her siblings. It is a dangerous game.

From the mighty James Cameron, who at the time was taking a break from Hollywood comes a quirky, sci-fi adventure, which balances wit, charm, and action in the story of one kick-ass Heroin. What a great way to start a career for Jessica Alba. She is perfect for the role, and the show is more interested in her filing the shoes of a strange character rather than showing off cleavage which, Alba has since done frequently.

the one problem I have with Dark Angel is a certain lack of excitement, Every time Max gets into trouble she gets out pretty easily because she is so much smarter and tougher than her enemies, but I guess that is what makes the show so quirky. It doesn't usually take itself seriously, and we grow to like the people.

Sci-fi lovers might get a kick out of Dark Angel.

Series 1 review - consistently average `thriller'

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
3 February 2003

Max is a genetically engineered soldier. From birth she was trained to be a soldier by those at Manticore, however as a child they escaped and spread out. As an adult, Max works as a bicycle express courier in a post-apocalyptic Seattle filled with corruption. She also helps activist `Eyes Only' (Logan) to get information and expose wrong doers and in exchange for him helping her find out where her brothers and sisters have gone. However the sinister force of Manticore led by Lydecker is ever close.

When I watched the pilot for this series I was not too impressed but thought I'd give it a go and stick with it. At several points I thought of giving up but I have stuck with it through to the end of series 1 - which I have just watched. The plot was reasonable despite being weak at the odd time. The basic element surrounding Manticore was always well used but the show often went off into little side plots that were done in one hour where Max helps people etc. It became like a action version of The Littlest Hobo after a while! However the central theme worked well.

As this was aimed at the teen audience the series suffered from lots of unnecessary bits and pieces. Worst of these were the characters at Max's workplace, they are teen stereotypes who talk in clichés and are a little annoying. Original Cindy is sexy but annoying and Herbal and the rest are just poorly used stoners. They add a comic side to the series that it didn't need and doesn't work well as it takes away from the dark thriller side to it.

Generally the writing is good but it is full or holes and doesn't stand up if you take a long hard look at the series, also some episodes are very weak or a little silly. My personal choice for silliest episode in series 1 is where Max is `on heat' supposedly due to her feline DNA! Even when it's good it's not that great but was just about passable enough to keep me watching but only just. As for series 2 I may not stick with it as I noticed the series starting to flag recently.

Alba is pretty good in the lead, but she has the annoying habit of being too cocky - standing with her hand on her hips and her head cocked all the time! She is good looking and pretty sassy but is not a very talented actress - more a nice piece of ass! Weatherly is OK as Logan and is a better actor than the series maybe deserves. Savage is also pretty good as Lydecker but maybe that's because his plots were usually quite good. The support cast are all pretty wooden or are there for comic relief and I found none of them to be of benefit to the series other than attracting a younger audience. Examples of this would be Max's brother who looks just like a bulky Brad Pitt type or the fact that Cindy is a black (tick!) lesbian (tick) and the series makes use of the chance to have her talk about sex as much as possible as well as hooking up with an old girlfriend.

Overall I stuck with this series despite that fact that it never really grabbed me - it was more like a time where I just turned off my brain or did something else at the same time as watching it. There are much better series out there which are aimed at adults or teenagers. At first I thought this series struggled with consistency but I soon realised that this was not the case. No, this series is consistent but the downside is that it is consistently average.

May or may not fly

Author: tprofumo from Los Angeles
10 October 2000

I think the jury is still out on this one, but it will be an uphill battle for this show, despite some good numbers for the two hour debute.

"Dark Angel" is the kind of sci-fi I should like, in that it deals with a plausible future and what could be an appealing central character. Unfortunately, we've met these genetically enhanced "perfect soldier" types before, so there's nothing new there. Even her bike messenger day job comes to us out of William Gibson. There's not too much new about the setting, either, although I found the opening explanations of what's going on a little merky.

That was a major problem with the pilot. I wasn't exactly sure who the bad guys were or how many of them were around. Nor was I clear on who exactly the guys where who had created Max and her fellow genetically enhanced kids or what their connection was to the government or the apparently private company Max spent most of her time fighting in the pilot. I hope things get simplified in future episodes.

I was also very unclear on Max's character. TV, of course, is all about character and Max's seemed a little muddled to me. She was this mysterious loner/outsider type who seemed to be everyone's patsy, spending an awful lot of time getting sucked into other people's problems.

There's an old rule of screen writing which says, beware of main characters with no clear goals. Max supposedly wants to find the "others like her," but spent almost no time doing that in the opening show. She was too busy helping out everyone around her. Unless she starts following some clear path, things will get worse. The only way to have a character without some attainable, important goal is to make her a keen observor of what's going on around her, and Max didn't come off that way at all.

All this leads to the heart of the show and the main question. Jessica Alba is as fetching a girl as exists in Hollywood today. I'm sure no small number of teenager boys will tune in just to oggle her in those tight fitting biker outfits.

But can the girl act? I think that question has not yet been answered and subsequent episodes will have to do a lot to prove that. She was adequate in the first, but just barely,

Good luck with this show. I hope it succeeds, but I won't hold my breath.

Haven't I seen this plot before?

Author: D'Amico from Canada
14 March 2002

How well I remember the pilot...a little girl named Max escapes from a top-secret government facility where she has been bred specifically to be a super-human. One day, she escapes, but is separated from her 'brother', who she then searches for. It's fascinating to think that what is done in that government facility is possible...and amazing to think that one little girl on her own who has been super-enhanced can escape. Waitaminute...that was the plot of a James Patterson book that came before 'Dark Angel' even hit the screen. Hmm. I guess James Cameron couldn't come up with the idea on his own, or even a name.

The series itself isn't bad. It's not great, but if you don't mind getting mired in to a side-plot, then it's really not bad. The first few episodes of the show were the best, because it was when Max was still concerned about finding out about herself. Then the show seemed to dwindle...it's still well-acted, but some of the writing has suffered. Although it's nice to see that Michael Weatherly ends up romantically involved with yet another of his co-stars.

This looks like it may be a very short lived series

Author: BrownBanana from San Francisco, CA
4 October 2000

I was really hoping this would be a kewl series, the commercials made it look action packed and exciting, to bad they forgot to work on the set design's and costuming, unless you just paid attention to the tight outfits Jessica was wearing thru out the show. The story line was mediocre and it felt like a really bad swipe off of Bladerunner & Soldier (both partly by David Webb Peoples). The costuming was really bad, who dressed the messengers in this movie? Did they really think that a messenger would live in an abandoned building and dress in non-used/beat up/raggedy clothing? Has Wardrobe ever seen a Bike Messenger? What's up with every outfit Sara Rutherds/Max takes off another person? Why do they always fit her when the person she got it off of is at least twice her size (it's the whole Star Trek thing, any outfit will fit Capt. Kirk). The whole set looks like it was designed by the assistant of the set designer of Back to the Future II, it wasn't believable at all, and it didn't look like Seattle in the least bit. This show is bad, and I only recommend it to fans of Hercules, Xena, and WWF.

What's the big deal???

Author: alleycat216 (alleycat216@juno.com)
20 July 2001

There is nothing below the surface in this obvious and shallow show. Yes the stunts are all right, and Jessica Alba sure knows how to pout. But come on, for this she got nominated for a Golden Globe???? When she talks she sounds like a handful of marbles was stuffed in her mouth, (I guess that's supposed to be sexy). And both her and Michael Weatherly's reactions are incredibly planned and fake looking. Their performances would look fine in an Acting 101 class at a community college. It's really quite a shame, because the show had incredible promise. The scenario was good and original, and the scripts aren't half bad. But the horrible casting, which was so obviously based on looks alone, just ruins the rest of the show. But I suppose it does reach a target audience, mainly twenty something guys who drool over Alba, or twelve and thirteen year old girls who giggle over Weatherly. Personally, I'd hate to say this show was the launching point of my career, (sorry Jessica)

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]