IMDb > "Dark Angel" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dark Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 16: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Promising show...

Author: manu2510 (manu2510@ifrance.com) from France
17 January 2002

Dark Angel is really good. I love everything in it, the action, the plot, and even the romance part. Jessica Alba is spot-on as Max, the genetically-enhanced superhero who doesn't really want to save the world but does so when she has to. It's probably one of the things I like best in this show: unlike many leads in other shows, Max's purpose in life is not to fight evil. She just seems to want a normal life. But then when she has to fight, she does, and she's great. Michael Weatherly's Logan is a great character too. Somehow reminds me of Giles in BTVS, in that he helps Max and is the one supplying the information. But he does get some of the action too, so he's more interesting. All in all, an awesome series!

I love this show

Author: princess500805-2 from United States
12 August 2007

I bought the first season a few months ago and was surprised how much I enjoyed it.I actually though Jessica Alba did a great job with her role and I believe it showed her talent more then her other movies since then. I don't think anyone else could have played Max as well as Jessica.

I found the story lines really interesting because I've never seen anything like it before.I love the background of the characters and how all of them are complex in a way.Max's Jam Pony co-workers are hilarious and bring relief to the "darkness".

Some of the effects were a little off I do admit and sometimes the acting wasn't as good as it could be but overall I wish the series would have continued.Because it is a entertaining show if you give it a chance.

i love this show

Author: crystalclear-4 from United States
30 October 2006

i loved this show, i just now got around to watching the seasons i wish it hadn't of been cancelled. I liked the whole virus thing between Max and Logan, but i felt it should of been resolved quickly. They had great chemistry i thought, and wished that they had got together. Alec was great to, i read a lot of people thought max and alec should of hooked up but not me. Logan was her guy. I loved all the transgenient stuff, it had a lot of possibilities. I loved the range of spectrum they had to psy-ops to mermaids, and mermen, the show had suspense, humor, sci-fi, and love plot wish it could of stayed on for a few more seasons.

Love this series!

Author: borscht23 from Sweden
21 March 2005

Hey Swedish hockey pro here!:) I have just seen season 1 and 2 and I would just like to say that it was probably the best sci-fi series I have ever seen, I could not stop seeing it once I had started I was so god and Jess is not bad to look at;).I was hoping for here and Logan to finally hook up, I am a sucker for romantic endings so.....And now I heard that in real life they are a couple and that makes me feel very happy, they look very god together!Now it feels a bit empty when it's over (the series) but I have bought it on DVD so I can still see it when I feel like it!It's really to bad that there's no third season I would really like to know what happened after the ending there.And I must just say that Michael is probably the "luckyest" guy out there!I just hope they can ignore every "bad people" over there and have a god life.See ya /bb

The best TV series ever!

Author: mike_master from Riga, Latvia
14 December 2004

Dark Angel is the best TV show. From the director of Aliens, Terminator 2 and Titanic, Dark Angel very successfully includes elements of Sci-Fi, Action and Drama. And Jessica Alba as Max is fantastic and madly beautiful.

The story begins in 2009, when after terror electro-magnetic pulse America became poor country of 3rd world, where reign located in arms of corrupted clique and police not a law defender but main law-breaker. From a secret "Manticore" laboratory escapes several children, but they are not a simple kids - they are genetically-enhanced universal soldiers with very strong power and wonderful sight, hearing and other feelings. After ten years one of escaped kids, girl with strange name Max Guevara, working as biker-messenger in post-pulsed Seattle and she doesn't know that Manticore chief Donald Lydecker is looking for Max... Very, very good show, which take over viewers. Mr. Cameron the Best Director and Jess the best actress!

dark angel

Author: creejules from United Kingdom
17 February 2007

i thought that dark angel was one of the best cult TV shows, even better than its rivals Buffy the vampire slayer and its spin off and angel. it had all the major bits that you wanted to see in a cult show, comedy, drama, romance, monsters, suspense, not to mention some very fine cute guys like Ben/Alec, Logan! After season one was over, i think season two was a lot darker, especially when the character of agent white was introduced, at first you just assumed that he was someone from mantacore, but then as the season went on and discovered that he was some kind of super human himself and was part of a breeding cult,things got a whole lot darker. the thing that got to me was just as your were getting into the season, the show just ended, but i wanna know what happened in the end as after the episode "freak nation" the show was axed and we will never know why max was so important or if she and Logan would ever beat the virus and finally get it together?

One of the greatest Drama/Sci-Fi TV Shows ever!

Author: Andy Ruxanda (BloodEM) from Galati, Romania
8 October 2005

I was very reluctant to see this TV Show because I thought: "well, it can't be that great, it only has two seasons" - knowing that a good show couldn't possibly be cancelled prematurely... or at least that's what I thought... But eventually I started watching it because I realized that a show created by one of my favorite directors, James Cameron, couldn't be THAT bad... So I started watching it; the pilot struck me as very interesting, with a lot of potential (engineered kids who escape from a secret facility who then get separated and eventually the story revolves around one of them, Max, 10 years after she escaped). So I watched the 2nd episode, then the 3rd, 4th, etc. By the time I got to the 5th episode I realized that the show was getting better and better and that the story was evolving from a complex one to a super-complex, gripping, human tale... The characters are adorable, you immediately relate to them, starting to have the same feelings they have. By the end of the 1st season I was overwhelmed. So I watched the second season. Maybe it's true, maybe it wasn't as good as the first, although I found it fascinating, especially because there were some new, interesting characters like Alec who brought a really funny note to the show. After seeing both seasons (in just 3 days) I literally became obsessed with it. There were two things that I just couldn't understand and still can't: 1. how could anyone cancel an amazing show like this one? 2. if they wanted to cancel it, the LEAST they could've done was make two, three more episodes just to conclude the story... but they didn't. So now the only thing that I can do is hope... hope that someday, someone with the right amount of power and will at FOX will realize that this show's cancellation was a mistake and that some sort of conclusion to the show is necessary. I'm not talking about a 3rd season, because I know that this is now almost impossible to achieve, but at least a TV movie, a cinema movie, a mini-series with only 3-4 episodes. It would be enough... just to have a proper ending to this show, which in my opinion is the greatest Drama/Sci-Fi TV show ever produced. It's a pity that it's also one of the shortest, not to mention that it's final episode only makes you feel frustration and a bitter aftertaste...

Good stuff !

Author: d3111 from London, UK
20 December 2003

This is truly an "each to their own" kind of show. You either love it or hate it. From the start I was dubious about a beautiful butt kicking brunette who was incidentally genetically modified but thought I would give it the benefit of the doubt. From the start it was fantastic. Set in a dark and dreary Seattle after the pulse hit, it is set in a grim reality where toothpaste and coffee are almost non-existent. It truly is an eye opener for what could happen if a pulse ever truly hit. Jessica Alba is excellent as the role of Max and although some of you slate her as a step forward for her career, you will notice that she has been acting for years previous to Dark Angel and will be for a long time to come. The only disappointment is that Cameron decided to discontinue the show and leaving all true fans wondering what would have happened............

The greatest television show...

Author: jonas from Denmark
16 March 2003

I think that this is the best. I have seen a lot of stuff but not as is so good as Dark Angel. And Jessica Alba(play Max in the series) is doing the act so great to. But we can also mention the Jensen Ackles(play Alec) also is making a great appearance. If you dont have seen this Series LOOK AT IT!!! It is so great, I am waiting that they shell see that they have make a terrible decision to quit making the series. The season 3 were never coming and they make the season 2 to the last one. And The quit on the series is Terrible, We want to know what happened... Jonas

Wings clipped?

Author: tprofumo from Los Angeles
20 July 2002

It appears, from the scuttlebutt, that this series is now history after two seasons of relatively low ratings.

So, what happened to James Cameron's first TV effort?

It's hard to say, at least as far as its popularity goes. So much in television is so complex, including time slot, competition, etc., etc., that its difficult to know.

On paper, this had a lot going for it, including an unusual story line, at least for TV, a fetching star and first class production values.

I watched only sporadically the first season, finding the plot lines a little confusing. Things didn't really get much better in the second year, but there was some clear improvement, not with the plotting, but with the star.

This show had to live or die with Jessica Alba, its butt kicking, genetically enhanced super soldier who longed to be just a regular girl. The character was not unique. In fact, two rivals with the same longings are still on the air, Buffy and Sydney, in the form of Sarah Michelle Geller and Jennifer Garner, already a hit in "Alias."

Why didn't Jessica's Max capture our hearts, too? Alba, who was probably best known from her work in the "Flipper" TV series, is more beautiful than either of her rivals, but probably does not yet have their acting skills. In fact, she started off poorly, far more able to express emotions with her eyes than she could with her mouth. Her ability to handle dialogue was poor. (In her defense, so was some of the dialogue. But she grew into the role and began to be more believable in the second season.

The trouble may have been with the stories. "Dark Angel" only seemed to be going somewhere at the very end of its run, when Max and her mutant friends took a stand. Up until then, it was simply a vaguely depressing dystopia story which didn't really have much point.

In the end, it seemed to be saying the outsiders are people, too, but that may be a message that only resonates with outsiders and not mass audiences. It may also be a difficult message to put across when the star of the show, unlike her mutant friends, is drop dead beautiful. It's not too easy to feel sorry for a girl who is faster, stronger and better at everything, and oh yes, also looks like a movie star.

The show also suffered from too much deferred passion. Max and her true love Logan, played by Michael Weatherly, were being kept apart because of a virus. Okay, we know that TV plotters worry that once the boy and girl get together, things can go down hill from there. But watching Max and Logan NOT consummate their love in episode after episode simply got old.

The script writers needed to finally get them together and then figure out another plot twist to keep things interesting. Two full years was a very long courtship. You can't have a beautiful central character who does not at some point tear her clothes off and throw herself at the man she loves. That's not what movies are about.

Could this series be resurrected? Probably not. It was no doubt expensive to make and Alba's profile never rose to the place where there was much outside buzz about her. For some strange reason, the girl didn't seem to pop up all the time on TV talk shows or other places where her visibility would increase.

"Dark Angel" appears to have been laid to rest and perhaps justifiably so. Hopefully, Jessica Alba's career will go on,because she appears to have grown some as an actress. But next time, she needs to find a project with a little less darkness and a little more love in the picture.