IMDb > "Dark Angel" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Dark Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 17: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

i love this show

Author: bsazn_5 from United States
4 January 2007

i just started watching this show about 3mounths ago and i have to say i love this show. It really sucks that they tuck it off the air and now there is no way of knowing if Max and Logan will ever hook up or anything about who Maxs really is and how special she really is.I think that they need to make a movie and till the rest of the story like that i know that if they did i would go see it and buy it but they need the same people in it.you now max{Jessica alba}and Logan{Michael Weatherly} They would have to be in it to make it a great movie right now i am playing the game but have some prombles in one spot.But i like the game to.

Sci-Fi goes sexy with Jessica Alba

Author: Richard Mackney (ReturnoftheMac) from United Kingdom
19 January 2006

I too watched this series on the UK Sci-Fi channel and was instantly hooked. Never missing an episode from both seasons and then buying season one and season two box sets (42 episodes). Max (Jessica Alba) is 'Dark Angel' a genetically engineered soldier, which we initially learn from flash backs to her childhood. Based in Seatle in the post-apocalyptic future, Max is on the run from Manticore - the institution that created her. The first season shows Max and her relationship develop with Eyes Only (Michael Weatherly) and episodes usually contain a mission for Max and her super human powers. Season two gets slightly 'weird' with the discovery of other types of genetically engineered soldiers! and I personally prefer Series one.

If you enjoyed TV's Alias and La Femme Nikita and films such as Underworld, Catwoman, Aeon Flux and Elektra you'll enjoy Dark Angel - one of the originals!

This is great!

Author: Ross (stear002) from Kent
12 February 2004

I wasnt going to add a comment until i saw what awfully bad comments many other people have made, Dark Angel is one on James Camerons best! If anyone says any different, they are wrong! Jessica Alba is a great actress, and extremely hot! I realy wanted there to be a season 3! Freak Nation has to be the best ever episode, and how the decision was made not to make a third season I will never know! I you haven't watched Dark Angel, then go out and get it now!!! Those users who have said that the future is not realistic, how the hell do you know??? Jessica Alba is hot!, the casting is great, and I have never seen anything to match up to the sheer quality of this series!

Awesome

Author: nick kril (NICKAK413@AOL.COM)
19 May 2003

Fox's television series "Dark Angel" is my favorite dramatic television series and, to me, second only to "Seinfeld." Jessica Alba (beautiful, sexy, talented) stars as Max Guevara (a.k.a. X-5 452), a genetically enhanced woman who is hiding from her creators. Fox cancelled this show after the second season finale (which left us hanging) due to poor ratings. But Fox replaced this show with absolutely ridiculous reality television shows. Many people blasted the second season, but I think every episode was awesome.

Dark Angel: Beloved and Missed

Author: Jessica from South Carolina, USA
18 July 2002

As most Dark Angel fans know Fox/the idiots have cancelled our beloved show. I was very upset to hear about this considering that fact that they canned the show to support a new space western drama?!(What the --?) Anyway, I feel that even if we were ripped off (Which we were!!!) I was happy to have DA in my home for two years. On Tuesdays, Fridays, and whatever other day they decided out of the blue to change it to. Jessica Alba is a great actress who I hope to see on tv and movies in the years to come. I also have to give credit to Jensen Ackles who made season two funnier, and more light hearted as the lovely, 'Smart' Alec. In addition to bringing so much angst and heartache in his performance in "The Berrisford Agenda". I believe Jensen has wonderful acting skills that will take him as far as he wants to go. I hope to see him in movies and on television as while. The cast and crew will be missed, and even though Dark Angel is gone, it will never be forgotten. Not in the hearts of TRUE Dark Angel fans.

Flawed, but excellent show.

Author: automation21 from Melbourne
8 January 2002

Normally, I would not waste time writing a review for an internet magazine, but after seeing such violent criticism of Dark Angel I felt I had to act. This from the same group that called the by-the-book adaptation of "Lord of the Rings" a masterpiece.

I would also like to say that I do not care about the girl-girl fight scenes and do not have a crush on Miss Alba. (how a television viewer can be attracted to a person they never met in real life is a mystery to me).

Most of all, I hate sci-fi and fantasy with a passion. The empty, cliched characters that have no purpose in their lives other than the danger-of-the-week storyline (and the occasional "romance" if ratings sag). Its naive concept of good (=spotless do-gooder humans with the gift of science/magic) versus evil (= ugly, boneheaded orcs/demons/aliens). etc, etc, etc

Which is why I love the cold, dark world of Dark Angel. There are no nasty inhuman things that periodically attack humans. The dangers come from humans: terrorists, slave dealers and human research facilities that invoke German concentration camps. There are no do-gooder characters either. Even our heroic X5's were bred to be killers and often make no effort to restrain their taste for blood while fighting for their cause. Logan, who fights against corrupt citizens, lives in a penthouse funded by one. The characters become more complex as the series progresses. Logan, in particular, evolves from a positive influence into a weak, suicidal shell of a man. We are also allowed to look into the private lives of the characters - their hopes, hobbies, dreams and beliefs. The result is that the people feel real and able to live their lives outside the episodes.

The show is simply well-done. The storyline is fresh and clever, the action fast and furious and the characters a joy to follow. The writing and direction turn what would otherwise be a cliched show into a excellent thriller. The fact that danger-of-the-week storylines have been replaced by a single, continuing story adds to the suspense and atmosphere. My only major complaint is the show's relentless puppy-dog-eyes need to appeal to the lowest common denominator when it clearly does not have to (for example, using Alba's looks to sell the show - she is attractive enough without the ridiculous call-girl scene in the first episode.)

All in all, an excellent show. 9/10

Not exactly heaven-sent, but good. And Jessica Alba's beauty is both dark and angelic

Author: Victor Field from London, England
11 April 2001

NOTE TO NON-AMERICAN OR UK NON-SKY VIEWERS: There may be a few details about episodes you haven't seen yet in this review. Proceed with caution.

At the time of writing (Wednesday April 11th, 7:32am), there's still no word on whether or not "Dark Angel" will get a second series; my fingers are crossed that it will (and making it REAL hard to type, ha ha). It's got its fair share of problems (the scripts are almost as uneven as those on "Charmed," charges of rampant derivativeness are deserved, it could really benefit from a stronger villain than Lydecker, whose resemblance to ex-Liberal Democrats leader Paddy Ashdown is from a British POV another drawback, and where are start-of-episode recaps ("Previously on 'Dark Angel'...") when you need them? Haven't they heard of new viewers?), but this does have enough going for it to stop me from relegating it to the Land of Who-Gives-A-Toss. For instance:

1. There are signs that the writers are trying to build up the other cast members, especially poor downtrodden Normal (I don't know how to spell "beleaguered").

2. Each episode does move the basic story along, and the good moments outnumber the bad ones (such as Max confessing her genetically-created birth to Original Cindy in "Rising" - like a similar moment in "Batman" (Tim Burton version, natch), we don't see the actual revelation but only the aftermath).

3. Although the fight scenes suffer from a bit too much editing, the show lacks the feeling of "Oh good, a fight at last" that the later seasons of "Xena: Warrior Princess" suffered from.

4. Joel McNeely's scores strike an okay balance between traditional underscore and urban sounds (note that the orchestral music has been scaled back since the pilot episode - how about an album, Varese Sarabande?).

5. Not all the characters need to be seen every week, and not all of them are.

6. Jessica Alba isn't as good an actress as Sarah Michelle Gellar, but at least she doesn't spend all her time impersonating a forest; and she does a good job with what she has.

And let's face it, she is very, very sexy.

A mix of Buffy, Angel, The Terminator and The Matrix. I guess.

Author: aisha12 from Clearwater, MN USA
3 April 2001

I love this series it's an awesome show! Jessica Alba is a cool actress and Michael Weatherly is a cutie! You know I started watching this show as an alternative too Angel, and now I watch it every Tuesday!

It's an awesome Sci Fi show, it was nice when Logan was able to get out of his wheelchair, I was soo upset when he ended up back in.

I would like too see Max and Logan get together as a couple that would be awesome.

Well, maybe theirs still hope for both Logan getting out of his wheelchair for good and him and Max becoming a couple. After all it's the year 2020. Max is a kick ass chick!

I recommend you watch this show. It's awesome!

Highly entertaining TV series, Sci-Fi at its best!! And, the DVDs are good.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
14 February 2001

(May 2005 edit: The series is now out on DVD, just watched the 126-minute pilot episode. A very nice set for fans.)

I try to watch 5 different TV shows each week in 2001 - "Ed", "Gilmore Girls", "Boston Public", "Nikita", and "Dark Angel." That's quite a variety! But in many ways "Dark Angel" and "Nikita" are alike - a gorgeous young woman who is able to "connect" within a wide network of information and then be able to accomplish almost superhuman feats to defeat the bad guys.

I think "Dark Angel" connotes someone (Max, Jessica Alba) who lives in a "dark world" of corruption but who is an "angel" in disguise, helping others and fighting evil with her genetic-engineered powers. You gotta love a show that has a lead girl character "Max" who rides a motorcycle, her sidekick named "Original Cindy", a bike delivery boss named "Normal", and a co-worker named "Herbal Thought."

"Dark Angel", while it has a thread of right and goodness running through it, as a necessity for viewers to sympathize with the characters, is really just good science-fiction entertainment. That its star, Jessica Alba, is about the cutest thing around is very tasty frosting on the cookie. Totally opposite from "Xena", where we cheered Lucy Lawless, with all her size and "Amazon" strength. We cheer petite and feminine "Max" while we secretly wish we were 21 again with her as our girlfriend.

Besides the science-fiction, "Dark Angel" has a great mish-mash of true "characters", much as did "Taxi", "Mash", and "Northern Exposure", all great and long-running TV series. However, as good as "Dark Angel" is, I believe they will rather quickly run out of innovative plots, the series will be renewed for the 2001/2002 season, and will end after its second season. However, this series will launch the career of Jessica Alba, and we can look forward to seeing a lot more of her.

Wonderful way to spend a Tuesday night.

Author: mwpressley (mwpressley@hotmail.com) from Denver Colorado
17 October 2000

I actually was able to catch this show the very first night and instantly became a fan of this intriguing new series. The lead character Max is a beautiful, genetically engineered youth who encounters danger around every turn. A likeable cast of characters and episodes with some suspense make this new Fox show a welcomed addition.

I'm very excited to see what direction the show is going in and how the relationships between the characters will develop. In one of the previous reviews the reviewer stated that Max would end up rescuing Logan Cale, but I think it is developing more into a partnership. The chemistry between the two characters is sizzling and in the third episode we are getting to see more interaction between Max and her female friends.

My only criticism of Dark Angel is some of the dialogue. Max seems to have quite a fashionable vocabulary for a genetically engineered loner and occasionally gives a great impression of Silverstone in Clueless.

I feel the show is getting better and better with each episode. I will definitely be tuning in next week.