IMDb > "Dark Angel" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dark Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

No 'Angel'

Author: Christopher Smith
27 April 2001

James Cameron just can't put together a good production anymore. First, he makes the unbearable TITANIC and now he's made one of the worst sci-fi series ever. FOX thought having a James Cameron TV show and a very attractive actress [Jessica Alba] would be enough to bring in the high ratings. Well, it wasn't. I can't believe this show is still on the air. The pilot episode was okay, but after that the premise got old. Cameron would have been better off just making a theatrical release of the pilot. It would be about 90 minutes long and would probably do good at the box office if it had better special effects. This is a no 'Angel'.

Let Dark Angel die a peaceful death

Author: squodge from London, England
18 January 2003

Dark Angel started off full of promise. However, just like most contemporary American television, producers seem to think that good looking actresses make for good viewing. They don't.

Dark Angel suffered from about the second or third episode into the second season, and the television networks did well to drop it like the proverbial plague. Bad storylines coupled with poor acting made this one of the worst shows ever. Even "The Simpson" has better acting, and they're all celluloid!

I think Cameron should have made Dark Angel a movie rather than a television series. He should have spent more on a script and drafted a decent actress. And it was scandalous how they dropped John Savage without warning - he was definitely one of the highlights of the show.

Bring back Dark Angel? No, let it die in peace. Lots of good moments, but sadly far too many duff ones. There was also too much stereotyping. Main star (Alba) is eye candy, then there's the black girl friend with "yo mama" speech built-in, and a nerdy type (Eyes Only). Pur-lease! Show some originality! This typecasting was evident in Knight Rider of the 1980's...why, oh why, are producers still coming out with formulaic stuff? Especially when it fails to work.

decent first season.... then it goes downhill, and fast

Author: I_saw_it_happen from United States
4 June 2010

It's true that the plot is pretty cliché, and that in some ways Alba is more a 'looker' than an actress in this show. But there are some great moments in the first season, to be sure. Some real drama, some good character development, and some rather funny dialogue, as well. The scenes at the bike courier depot that run through the show are actually far more entertaining than secondary plots usually are (works better than the 'Buy-More' at Chuck, for instance). There's nothing new offered in this show, just unrealized promise.

And this show clearly should have stopped after the first season. It gets ridiculous by the end. Rather than just 'super-soldiers', we find that there are essentially 'mutants' running about, now, including a half-man half-dog creature who we're supposed to find 'adorable', and yet I found only increasingly annoying.

If there's absolutely nothing better to watch, the first season of Dark Angel is a mediocre show which has some high points. But the show does collapse under it's own weak foundations and lack of direction. And so unless you've already seen everything else to see, it's probably better not to get too involved in this one.

Not recommended.

bring back a 3rd season!!!!!

Author: froggzbreath from United States
13 June 2008

I absolutely love the series....i agree though that the first series was better than the second....i loved the plot more....not that i didn't love the 2nd series....that was amazing to ....but there was a lot going on in the plot....but whatever they both were amazing and i really wish that they will bring it back.....they talked about making it into a movie but id rather see a 3rd season....think about it...if they make it a movie they will have to summarize the first two seasons so that people can get the jist if they've never seen it and then the fact that it has to fit into a 2 hour time limit...i think that we would be jipped out of a really good ending....no i think they should put out another series so that they really get into depth of a amazing ending that doesn't leave us hanging or angry as we leave the movie theater. but if it has to be a movie, i would rather it be that then nothing at all.....the open ending is driving me insane...its kind of like having to wait for breaking dawn or harry potter 7 to come out....only more so because there is a big possibility that they wont make an ending....i really hope they do....and i think a lot of fans are going to be extremely mad if they don't come out with a satisfying ending some how!!!!!! please please please bring Dark Angel back. and keep the same actors for the key characters.....i have grown to love jessica alba, Micheal weatherly, and jensen ackles in their parts.

dark angel

Author: Angelus from United States
11 June 2008

Dark Angel was a good show but at points it got well stupid, Jessica played the part very well but they did mumble sometimes *either that or it was my TV* but still if u didn't like it and just wanna yell because u thought it was stupid then don't post a comment. it annoys me and probably others if you didn't like it you shouldn't have watched it.*may spoil for some* i thought genetically enhanced children were awesome i could watch them train continuesly.and i could believe the pulse could happen because ban accounts are kept on computers so magnets could have ruined that. but the part were no one noticed what she could do ??????? i mean come on she litarly shakes because of seizures wouldn't her room mate have noticed? and asked questions and then original Cindy didn't have any questions either and when max can push her co workers across the room with out breathing real heavy? but oh well it was a good show

Would like to see more

Author: mikey0108 from United Kingdom
27 May 2008

After seeing the first season i was very impressed and enjoyed the show. The second season was also very good but had lost a bit of its edge. However the program had always grabbed my attention and overall was very enjoyable.

When watching the episodes on DVD i would actually spend pretty much all of the day sat in my couch, with eye's glued to the T.V, watching episode after episode. The characters are played very well and they fit in together brilliantly! Each episode keeps you watching with the different problems that Max/452 has.

I would definitely like to see more episodes made, but after so long after being cancelled i cant see it happening. (I still have hopes though!)

west of time

Author: md-1113 from Saudi Arabia
17 July 2014

i enjoy the show until the end because the end leave you with a hundreds of questions without any answer you don't know what happened with the x5 what happened with max and eyes only what is the father massage i started the watching the show because of james camron name but i thank it could be better i don't know why they stopped the show in this way and like this but my advice don't watch it because there is no end and you will not call it journey because there is no destination that's what i think anyway i hope i write something good thank you ================================================================== i enjoy the show until the end because the end leave you with a hundreds of questions without any answer you don't know what happened with the x5 what happened with max and eyes only what is the father massage i started the watching the show because of james camron name but i thank it could be better i don't know why they stopped the show in this way and like this but my advice don't watch it because there is no end and you will not call it journey because there is no destination that's what i think anyway i hope i write something good thank you

Great Show - gives justice to the impressive names involved...

Author: (sharonvangar@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
4 July 2009

As for previous comments being made about the lack of realistic-angles to the personalities on the show all the personalities were varied as you do get in the real world and as for the smart-mouth sarcastic comments being made; I myself mouth as good as I get and although some maybe rather cliché that is a indication to real comments that would be made as not everyone will come out with original comebacks all the time.

Good show where everything isn't black or white but exists in shades of grey where you can strengthen your own views on not so-far-fetched ideas.

D.A not your average, and comparisons to firefly

Author: seenitall112 from Australia
18 April 2008

I just finished watching Dark Angel season 2, for the third time! Just like most DA fans, I was really saddened by the disheartening news of the season 3 cut. I can really empathise with the fellow who said he boycotted FOX after the same news.

I really want you to ask yourselves the following question(s), and answer if you have only seen both series: If you had the chance to literally live in one of these series, which one would it be? Which one will be the most exciting? Which one will leave you gasping for breathe, yet make you crave for more? I myself would easily pick D.A.

I am a person who loves high imaginative pieces. I have enough drama in my life as it is, and a busy social life, and when I sit down to watch something, I really want to be taken totally away from this world- far fetched and imaginative as possible but still make enough sense to be possible. I mean, that is the true essence of Sci Fi right? With D.A there is a lot more deeper meaning than what meets the eye. Take away Albas fine ass, and all the weird mutants and it is a real life situation. It really comes down to fundamental debates about Racism (esp final ep), The rich Vs poor, and God and his will. With this perspective, one can draw parallels to the likes of Battlestar (the new series) that debates similar issues.

I am a huge fan of BattleStar and I believe firefly is similar (well its both pretty much star trek) but the latter certainly not on the same level. How many space cowboy series and movies are there for god sakes? And it certainly was not a original piece of writing, heavily recycled.

Like most of you said, DA & Firefly are different fruits. Firefly to me grew pretty weak pretty quick. I mean Serenity, that was not all that great; it was low level flatulence to put colorfully.

D.A does need some improvement. Some may think that some of the hip hop slang dialog was an eye ball roll, but truth be told, most hip hop slang is an eye ball roll anyway. I can say this because I have been doused in that scene.

Nevertheless, I don't believe it works on screen, or as much as I hate to say it, it was delivered weak by Alba. Liners like "bring it bitch" didn't really always carry emotion like she meant it. It was more like she was thinking to her self "damn this lines gay" but I get paid to do it.

Original Cindy was by far the worst at it. Although her character was quite likable, it was seriously a case of "will someone bitch slap that lesso please!" with a shy hint of over-acting on her part.

But one character I got a real kick out of was Joshua (K-9 in his cocktail lol). They really got that character spot on. I know this because I have 12 dogs and although each one has a certain personality about them, they all have some very similar responses to certain things. The way Joshua progressively learns slang through the series was pure genius. One might even say that he was the balancing agent or mockery piece for the slang others used. He repeated slang terms he learn't from others at mostly inappropriate times, but when you really think about it, what he does say, does make sense, but his expressionism is limited to that of what he learned from his 'masters'. This is exactly how dogs are! Need I say again, this character was a pure work of art.

What I take D.A for is the storyline. There are so many things unclear and questions unanswered in the series. It is one series that I have seen that left such a messy trail of questions unanswered that it beckons to be watched again. I thought this was very clever in its self. E.g What on earth is the "coming?" and seriously how the hell is a bunch of tattoos that started appearing on Max be the answer? But, if they get it right, it can totally be a master piece.

Another thing I realized was that DA has very high 're-watch-ability'. The longterm storyline is quite complex but the short term plots have nice beginnings and ends, and adds to the longterm storyline with sharp stabs.

For those of you who have missed out on it, and do not want to spend the money on getting the DVDs just yet, Season 1 & 2 are available for download via rapidshare...just google it! I do recommend you buy it like I did if you like it. If enough people buy it, maybe the morons at FOX will re consider a 3rd season.

Also, Sign the petitions! Google, "Dark Angel Petitions". there are two, one for a movie, and one for a 3rd season. Who knows, anything is possible.

To sum it up in fruits, since it was mentioned before, Firefly to me is more like a perfect apple. Dark Angel, is more like an exotic fruit like a Guava. While Apples are good. There's nothing like a Guava.

Firefly was nice, but D.A lives in our hearts forever.

this show rocked

Author: roxyandpuffmygirls from United States
21 March 2008

This show is the Best show i've ever seen. It's story line is not like any other show on t.v. I loved it, and so dose everyone ales i talk to. how many other shows do you know of that takes place in 2020 after the country experiences a nuclear wave that frieze the satellites so the country is in a Dopration. And the fact that it could really happen is insane, and that it's about a girl that was a genetic experiment of the government is incredible passable too. because right know in real life scientists are experimenting with DNA.

People saying that the writers of dark angel were coping the James Patterson books is not true, if anything its the other way around. Dark Angel aired on T.V in 2000, James Patterson's first book in his series wasn't even published Intel 06, so how can the writers of dark angel be coping James Patterson.

And the stuff about her sassy personality, and the hole "girls kick ass" persona, and the part when she says that men are the weaker sex, she says that Before Theo dies and she says it to make her friend fill better. and i think that Max's attitude fits the story line good, you would act like that too, if you didn't have a real family and you've been running for your life sense you were nine.

No other actress would have been better. Jessica Alba rocks, and it's not just because shes pretty, but because she plays max wonderfully, And no other actress will ever be able to play max the way Alba did. Jessica Alba truly is the perfect Max Gaovera, and thats all there is to it, the show would have sucked without Jessica. They need to bring the show back, or at lest make a movie to finish the story. I AM ALL FOR A MOVIE.