IMDb > "Dark Angel" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dark Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The show's OK... Alba is awesome

Author: jokerz-so-serious from United States
9 June 2010

This isn't the best show out there, but it is pretty good. The writing is OK (if a bit predictable) and the acting passes(nothing special), but the real reason to watch is Jessica Alba. She does a superb job and I never got bored with the show, which is unusual for me.

I can't figure out why they would cancel it, it had tons of viewers, but if you are looking for more you can read several books that were written continuing the story. For those hoping it will come back you are out of luck because it has been years now since it was canceled, but i still haven't given up hope of a feature film sometime in the future.

Bottom line: If you are looking for a short entertaining show and you like Alba, this one's for you.

A show with great potential that became progressively worse.

Author: flask
10 December 2003

James Cameron's "Dark Angel," starring Jessica Marie Alba, debuted on television with the glitzy fanfare of a P.T. Barnum exhibit. It was intended to be Fox's answer to "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer," but unlike the latter show, "Dark Angel" never lived up to the potential which it displayed in the pilot episode.

The lead character, Max Guevera/X5-452 (Alba), with her enhanced feline abilities was interesting enough despite the all-too-familiar "I just wanna be normal" superhero formula lurking underneath. Gratuitous shots of Alba in a skin-tight leather outfit was undoubtedly a major selling point with the teenage male audience but cheapened the series to the level of a D.C. comic book.

The overarching plot involving super-soldiers whose DNA had been artificially engineered, inserted as fertilized eggs into the wombs of surrogate mothers, born under military supervision, and then escaped as children was cliché, but still interesting. This was tacked onto a futuristic setting in which a dystopian Seattle has been devastated by an electromagnetic pulse. These two premises were mildly compelling, and the show was at its best when exploring them, but the moment it would veer into bizarre subplots, it would fall from an average weekly thriller to a stinking pile of fungus.

The ensemble cast that populated the show was by far the worst failing of this short-lived series. The supporting characters were stereotypes painted in broad, one-dimensional strokes (i.e. Original Cindy) and sounded like imbeciles. The point of using slang is to make communication quicker, not to use it so much in a sing-song fashion that basic conversation becomes ridiculous. Apparently, middle-aged creators James Cameron and Charles Eglee were trying so hard to make a hip show that appealed to teenie boppers that they didn't realize being too trendy is just as detrimental as being too normal.

Coupled with the annoying overuse of rat-tat-tat-tat dialogue, a "battle of the sexes" theme existed throughout the series which could have been wickedly amusing if it hadn't usually lacked wit. Max saying lines such as, "Girls kick ass, it says so on a T-shirt" was humorous. Max saying lines such as, "Guys are the weaker sex" to a grieving widow who has just lost her beloved husband only makes the audience groan. Comedy is a difficult art. The Dark Angel writers should have remembered Mel Brooks' famous advice, "If I cut my finger, that's tragedy. If a man walks into an open sewer and dies, that's comedy."

For the action scenes in which Max displayed her "dizzying" superpowers, the Dark Angel crew often utilized a simple fast-forwarding technique. This is an effective trick if executed correctly, but instead it often came across as sped-up footage from a shaky hand-held video camera. In retrospect, far more interesting combat effects could have been created using wire stunts ala the choreography of Yuen W. Ping.

Ultimately, the corniness of "Dark Angel" became more and more insufferable; the weekly episode writing didn't improve; the characters became so posh they were snotty. Midway through the first season its Nielsen ratings began to slip. Seeing no quality improvement, viewers abandoned "Dark Angel" like rats from a sinking ship. By the second season, the once-promising series had degraded to having Max slaying Buffy-like monsters and encountering freakish mutants that seemed borrowed from X-Men comics. If only the series writers had aimed for a wider demographic audience other than teenagers and focused less on being devastatingly hip, "Dark Angel" might have lasted a few more seasons.

Tsk! Tsk!

Cameron S.O.S

Author: leon123 from United States
20 January 2001

This show started with much promise, but I think it is fading fast. Unless James Cameron takes a more hands-on approach and start doing some of the writing and/or directing himself, this will be another one of those short lived TV series that will be rerun on either TNT, SCI-FI, or FX cable channels ad-infinitum. I think that this show suffers from the same problems that the PRETENDER suffered from: it just keeps recycling the same good guy(girl) vs. bad guy stuff while continuing to build up on the subplots with no discernable solution to the questions the subplots are raising. In order for these types of series to succeed, the producers, in my humble opinion, need to tie the various subplots at some point to THE main plot of the show and relegate the good cop vs. bad cop episodic plots to the back burner.Of course this would mean, one suspects, that at some point the series would be over, because the main plot would be solved. The other thing that bothers me about Dark Angel is the hunter vs. the hunted theme: we've already had this in The Fugitive, The Incredible Hulk, The Pretender, to some extend in The Profiler, and probably others that I haven't even heard of. Can we get rid of it? It is the biggest cliche on TV right now. Cameron said in an interview that he would only come in to direct and write an episode if it could be ground breaking enough and something that had not been done before on TV. Now's the time to do it, Jimbo. If you care about this project, save its life, please! I would submit that that is ground breaking enough.

What started out great, ended with a bad heart-ache.

Author: Jane from United States
2 September 2009

Dark Angel was a fun and exciting show....in the beginning however. As the first season ended with what i thought was a promising future for the show, began with a second/final season that was just awful.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILER(S) WHICH INCLUDE SYNOPSIS/PLOTS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The first season focused on a young woman whose living out a pretty normal life in a post-apocalyptic world where the only good job was working at an express delivery service. -mainly where the young woman, known as max works.- It turns out though that max is actually a genetically engineered super soldier that's an escapee a secret government corporation, known as manticore, was/is after since she escaped at age 11. -not sure of the age- Anywayz, from here it's known that max is a cat burglar looking to make some extra cash. Here she meets the reporter known as 'eyes-only' whose out looking to make the world a better place. From here on out with occasional arguments and jokes max and 'eyes-only' work together to bring down the baddies and find max's 'family' which are her comrades that also escaped the evil manticore. You see to me this show was great. I mean the first season was fun with an original story that kept me wanting to see more. The acting was done right as well with twists and drama that made the show watchable. HOWEVER, upon the second season...things went terribly wrong. Without giving too much away, the second season basically strays from what the original story was all about to confused story lines with far-fetched complicated plots that UN-successfully launched the supposed 'third season'. Long story short, first season was much better than the second. -see it for yourself and you'll know why- i give the show 8/10 because it's the first season that makes the show great. the second was SOMEWHAT ALRIGHT, but very confusing with UN-liking stories as well as characters. but hey, who knows what you would like.

Great show, too bad there are only two seasons

Author: maloris-m
14 June 2011

Just finished watching the show last night. I really enjoyed it. I like the plot and all the fantasy details that can be passed for realistic. Yes, some of the acting was bad and there were some clichés, but that can all pass. I really liked Logan's role and him as a character. There is action, there are conspirators and there is tense love between main actors. I regret the most that there is no real ending in love between Max and Logan. I know a lot of time passed since last season and that actors aged (not that it matters, most of them like Alba, Weatherly and Ackles look mainly the same), but it would be really cool to have a better ending, at least in a movie, which is maybe even better idea then another seasons. I am not so fond of the ending the way it played out - frozen and incomplete. I would recommend this serial.

A star is born

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 August 2013

After the success of Titanic, James Cameron produced this TV show. It stars a newcomer name Jessica Alba and also Michael Weatherly. Jessica Alba is a genetically engineered superhuman named Max. She and others escape the militarized lab prison when they were children and is now hiding in plain sight in a post-apocalyptic world. She pairs up with Logan, an idealistic cyber-journalist played by Michael Weatherly, to battle powerful interests and search for her origins.

It was TV series film in Vancouver for Seattle. The look of it was limited by a TV budget. The story was there but not fully fleshed out. Maybe there's a need for better support. Maybe the dialog isn't quite as sharp. No matter what, Jessica Alba was truly a star being born. She glows on the screen.

Wish it did not stop.

Author: Dardania Lion from USA
5 June 2014

I really loved it. The first season is the best. The second one is okay but it does get boring with Joshua. The first one has some good things in it. Jessica tried to know more who escaped Menticore and faces hard time.

I wish, I really wish we had someone starting from season 3 but sadly it wont happen. Jessica has her family and wont be bothered doing this thing again. I have to say she did a really good job here.

Come on James Cameron, make us happy and start another Dark Angel series.

Find someone who looks like Jessica Alba and make it happen, just have a try and I am sure people will like it.

Don't do things just because of money. You have enough of it.

Having it play in Seattle would be really nice. Somehow I love this city.

Thanks

Could this actually happen?

Author: kris-bagnall
6 August 2012

Overall a very decent TV series, in my book a decent TV series make you want to instantly watch the next episode, not because of a silly cliffhanger but because as a package its just brilliant. Sometimes Dark Angel achieves this sometimes it doesn't. The first season took me a little while to get into but then it really gets good, as it ends and season two picks up Dark Angel takes a huge shift. I found Season 1 a much better season, with the mystery cult popping up from no where, Joshua (who was almost a jar jar binks character) and original Cindy barely featured in season 2. Season one was much more enjoyable. One of the gems of Dark Angel was the soundtrack with Chuck D (Public Enemy)at the helm, it was always going to be good. Even after a few years of it being produced the music is still top notch, this almost makes it better. The key thing of Dark Angel how close it is to the world we live in DNA and genetics being altered to make 'better' people. This could be going on somewhere in the world today. As the truth becomes known to the general public, what disappointed me is that the mass majority hate and want to kill anyone from Mantacore.I would like to think if this happened in our world today there would be a significant percentage of the population willing to accept them in our society and communites. If you are a sci-fi fan, this is well worth checking out (even if it just for Jessica, very hot)

Echoes peoples darkest fears of the modern age.

Author: lois-lane33 from Montreal
1 December 2014

I am a fan of this show. I thought the combo of Jessica Alba and Michael Weatherly was a good one. I only saw the first season-there were two seasons. Good pace and good setting makes this show work well. Good placement of humor helps also. There is way too much humorless SF out there which really gets old after a while. Despite the show being a few years old I find it is still watchable-maybe it even got better with age. Its funny to see Michael Weatherly in a not NCIS role because I have grown so accustomed to seeing him do the NCIS thing on the show of the same name. I haven't seen Jessica Alba for ages in anything. I guess this show can be considered proof she existed. The show explores the darkest fears of the modern age-that genetic manipulation exists and has been used to create people who burn twice as bright for half as long. A little like Bladerunner's Replicants. James Cameron was involved so you have to figure it owed its basic concepts to something else. Other than than derivative element of it-its not a bad ride. I give it a seven for the acting but I think the derivative nature of the plots underpinning is at a five level. Gots to pay them bills I guess.

i loved this show. But i was disappointed

Author: sally_hardesty2 from Canada
4 March 2012

For what it was i loved this show. The first season was great. It had great ideas and interesting characters. There were other ways i would have loved the show to go other then the way it went. But the second season was horrible. It had a completely different writing scale. It 100% disappointed me. It deviated so much from the original story, it was difficult to follow and felt like it was completely rushed to get it over with. I was extremely disappointed in the fact that a large part of Max's x5 group was dead. When all she ever wanted to know was that they were OK. I think Zack or William Gregory Lee got a raw deal when he died and i would had loved to see Max and him together more.Tingas death just plain upset me. Then the whole ending stunk. I was never a real fan of the alba and weatherly relationship to begin with.

If this show had not been as expensive i wish they would have explored more about the x5 group instead of the scifi freakier x7s and direction they went. I liked the original plot. Rather then the more extravagant issues coming on the end. If i could say one thing to the writers it would have been less is more and drop the whole Joshua daddy complex thing that wrecked it.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]