IMDb > "Dark Angel" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dark Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Let Dark Angel die a peaceful death

Author: squodge from London, England
18 January 2003

Dark Angel started off full of promise. However, just like most contemporary American television, producers seem to think that good looking actresses make for good viewing. They don't.

Dark Angel suffered from about the second or third episode into the second season, and the television networks did well to drop it like the proverbial plague. Bad storylines coupled with poor acting made this one of the worst shows ever. Even "The Simpson" has better acting, and they're all celluloid!

I think Cameron should have made Dark Angel a movie rather than a television series. He should have spent more on a script and drafted a decent actress. And it was scandalous how they dropped John Savage without warning - he was definitely one of the highlights of the show.

Bring back Dark Angel? No, let it die in peace. Lots of good moments, but sadly far too many duff ones. There was also too much stereotyping. Main star (Alba) is eye candy, then there's the black girl friend with "yo mama" speech built-in, and a nerdy type (Eyes Only). Pur-lease! Show some originality! This typecasting was evident in Knight Rider of the 1980's...why, oh why, are producers still coming out with formulaic stuff? Especially when it fails to work.

first 15 great then...

Author: Genivieve DeClare from United Kingdom
10 January 2014

It becomes preoccupied with the back story and ceases to be fun in the late episodes of season 1. The bloke in the wheel chair become a bore and the whole thing takes itself too seriously. It becomes a boring melodrama. Episodes 1-15 re fun and he rest is filler. At it's best the Dark Angel is out saving the world from evil republican scum despite her obligations to her job as a bicycle messenger and her funny co-workers. 'Original Cindy' and Kendra round out her girl crew. When Kendra departs it all goes to sideways. The character of Kendra was not so compelling as to presage the demise of the show. It's just a benchmark. The show goes seriously wrong when the stories are preoccupied with the past. Really stupid writers and producers are responsible for this programmes demise.

decent first season.... then it goes downhill, and fast

Author: I_saw_it_happen from United States
4 June 2010

It's true that the plot is pretty cliché, and that in some ways Alba is more a 'looker' than an actress in this show. But there are some great moments in the first season, to be sure. Some real drama, some good character development, and some rather funny dialogue, as well. The scenes at the bike courier depot that run through the show are actually far more entertaining than secondary plots usually are (works better than the 'Buy-More' at Chuck, for instance). There's nothing new offered in this show, just unrealized promise.

And this show clearly should have stopped after the first season. It gets ridiculous by the end. Rather than just 'super-soldiers', we find that there are essentially 'mutants' running about, now, including a half-man half-dog creature who we're supposed to find 'adorable', and yet I found only increasingly annoying.

If there's absolutely nothing better to watch, the first season of Dark Angel is a mediocre show which has some high points. But the show does collapse under it's own weak foundations and lack of direction. And so unless you've already seen everything else to see, it's probably better not to get too involved in this one.

Not recommended.

bring back a 3rd season!!!!!

Author: froggzbreath from United States
13 June 2008

I absolutely love the series....i agree though that the first series was better than the second....i loved the plot more....not that i didn't love the 2nd series....that was amazing to ....but there was a lot going on in the plot....but whatever they both were amazing and i really wish that they will bring it back.....they talked about making it into a movie but id rather see a 3rd season....think about it...if they make it a movie they will have to summarize the first two seasons so that people can get the jist if they've never seen it and then the fact that it has to fit into a 2 hour time limit...i think that we would be jipped out of a really good i think they should put out another series so that they really get into depth of a amazing ending that doesn't leave us hanging or angry as we leave the movie theater. but if it has to be a movie, i would rather it be that then nothing at all.....the open ending is driving me insane...its kind of like having to wait for breaking dawn or harry potter 7 to come out....only more so because there is a big possibility that they wont make an ending....i really hope they do....and i think a lot of fans are going to be extremely mad if they don't come out with a satisfying ending some how!!!!!! please please please bring Dark Angel back. and keep the same actors for the key characters.....i have grown to love jessica alba, Micheal weatherly, and jensen ackles in their parts.

dark angel

Author: Angelus from United States
11 June 2008

Dark Angel was a good show but at points it got well stupid, Jessica played the part very well but they did mumble sometimes *either that or it was my TV* but still if u didn't like it and just wanna yell because u thought it was stupid then don't post a comment. it annoys me and probably others if you didn't like it you shouldn't have watched it.*may spoil for some* i thought genetically enhanced children were awesome i could watch them train continuesly.and i could believe the pulse could happen because ban accounts are kept on computers so magnets could have ruined that. but the part were no one noticed what she could do ??????? i mean come on she litarly shakes because of seizures wouldn't her room mate have noticed? and asked questions and then original Cindy didn't have any questions either and when max can push her co workers across the room with out breathing real heavy? but oh well it was a good show

Would like to see more

Author: mikey0108 from United Kingdom
27 May 2008

After seeing the first season i was very impressed and enjoyed the show. The second season was also very good but had lost a bit of its edge. However the program had always grabbed my attention and overall was very enjoyable.

When watching the episodes on DVD i would actually spend pretty much all of the day sat in my couch, with eye's glued to the T.V, watching episode after episode. The characters are played very well and they fit in together brilliantly! Each episode keeps you watching with the different problems that Max/452 has.

I would definitely like to see more episodes made, but after so long after being cancelled i cant see it happening. (I still have hopes though!)

Great Show - gives justice to the impressive names involved...

Author: ( from United Kingdom
4 July 2009

As for previous comments being made about the lack of realistic-angles to the personalities on the show all the personalities were varied as you do get in the real world and as for the smart-mouth sarcastic comments being made; I myself mouth as good as I get and although some maybe rather cliché that is a indication to real comments that would be made as not everyone will come out with original comebacks all the time.

Good show where everything isn't black or white but exists in shades of grey where you can strengthen your own views on not so-far-fetched ideas.

Author: Mr Parker ( from New York City
22 August 2002

I watched the first season religiously. If the show was on, everything had to stop. Nothing was getting in the way of me and my Albanator. Some of the episodes showed real heart and on occasion were even laugh out loud funny. They could even be heartbreaking, especially the one where her cat-in-heat tendencies finally overcame her. As goofy as it sounds, it's better understood by viewing. From time-to-time I was a bit annoyed with Jessica Alba's acting, which seemed to switch from ok to full-out sucks by means of an independent switch but she was hot so I didn't care. I also did get a little tired of that "I know that I'm fine" look that always seemed to be on her face, even when she'd be beating the living Christ out of someone. After watching the first season finale, I was absolutely positive that the show was gonna get even better. And then, reality struck. The first episode of the second season left me shrugging my shoulders. By the fourth episode, I couldn't bear it anymore. It got so stupid so quickly that I couldn't help but feel disappointed. It was like the producers wanted to give Buffy some comp by adding monsters (you read that right: monsters) into the mix. I don't know what the point is of me writing about the show other than to express my extreme disappointment at the way it turned out. And I honestly think that it didn't help the show any when it was announced that she and Michael Weatherly had gotten engaged. Booooooo!

Oh dear

Author: motor89 from Lancashire, England
17 January 2001

James Cameron? Now there's a name to attach to a science fiction show if you want to generate hype. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have done the show much good quality-wise. In short, and considering the amount of money spent:

It stinks.

The dialogue is cliched and dull (with plenty of attempts at hip 90s slang), and the acting is appalling. The story is stupid, and doesn't even follow its own rules in the pilot (everybody's broke, but they can afford fancy hi-tech carbon-fibre bikes and designer clothes). The camera seems to be for only one purpose... to get as many beauty shots of Jessica Alba as possible - so we are constantly bombarded with wide-eyed, tilted-head cutesy looks from a teen actress with little to offer beyond looks. It's a science fiction version of 'Clueless'.

What is really depressing about this show is that it just confirms the trend in TV SF towards witless teen shows with good looking ass-kicking females as leads.

TV science fiction has really hit rock bottom now. Tune out.

D.A not your average, and comparisons to firefly

Author: seenitall112 from Australia
18 April 2008

I just finished watching Dark Angel season 2, for the third time! Just like most DA fans, I was really saddened by the disheartening news of the season 3 cut. I can really empathise with the fellow who said he boycotted FOX after the same news.

I really want you to ask yourselves the following question(s), and answer if you have only seen both series: If you had the chance to literally live in one of these series, which one would it be? Which one will be the most exciting? Which one will leave you gasping for breathe, yet make you crave for more? I myself would easily pick D.A.

I am a person who loves high imaginative pieces. I have enough drama in my life as it is, and a busy social life, and when I sit down to watch something, I really want to be taken totally away from this world- far fetched and imaginative as possible but still make enough sense to be possible. I mean, that is the true essence of Sci Fi right? With D.A there is a lot more deeper meaning than what meets the eye. Take away Albas fine ass, and all the weird mutants and it is a real life situation. It really comes down to fundamental debates about Racism (esp final ep), The rich Vs poor, and God and his will. With this perspective, one can draw parallels to the likes of Battlestar (the new series) that debates similar issues.

I am a huge fan of BattleStar and I believe firefly is similar (well its both pretty much star trek) but the latter certainly not on the same level. How many space cowboy series and movies are there for god sakes? And it certainly was not a original piece of writing, heavily recycled.

Like most of you said, DA & Firefly are different fruits. Firefly to me grew pretty weak pretty quick. I mean Serenity, that was not all that great; it was low level flatulence to put colorfully.

D.A does need some improvement. Some may think that some of the hip hop slang dialog was an eye ball roll, but truth be told, most hip hop slang is an eye ball roll anyway. I can say this because I have been doused in that scene.

Nevertheless, I don't believe it works on screen, or as much as I hate to say it, it was delivered weak by Alba. Liners like "bring it bitch" didn't really always carry emotion like she meant it. It was more like she was thinking to her self "damn this lines gay" but I get paid to do it.

Original Cindy was by far the worst at it. Although her character was quite likable, it was seriously a case of "will someone bitch slap that lesso please!" with a shy hint of over-acting on her part.

But one character I got a real kick out of was Joshua (K-9 in his cocktail lol). They really got that character spot on. I know this because I have 12 dogs and although each one has a certain personality about them, they all have some very similar responses to certain things. The way Joshua progressively learns slang through the series was pure genius. One might even say that he was the balancing agent or mockery piece for the slang others used. He repeated slang terms he learn't from others at mostly inappropriate times, but when you really think about it, what he does say, does make sense, but his expressionism is limited to that of what he learned from his 'masters'. This is exactly how dogs are! Need I say again, this character was a pure work of art.

What I take D.A for is the storyline. There are so many things unclear and questions unanswered in the series. It is one series that I have seen that left such a messy trail of questions unanswered that it beckons to be watched again. I thought this was very clever in its self. E.g What on earth is the "coming?" and seriously how the hell is a bunch of tattoos that started appearing on Max be the answer? But, if they get it right, it can totally be a master piece.

Another thing I realized was that DA has very high 're-watch-ability'. The longterm storyline is quite complex but the short term plots have nice beginnings and ends, and adds to the longterm storyline with sharp stabs.

For those of you who have missed out on it, and do not want to spend the money on getting the DVDs just yet, Season 1 & 2 are available for download via rapidshare...just google it! I do recommend you buy it like I did if you like it. If enough people buy it, maybe the morons at FOX will re consider a 3rd season.

Also, Sign the petitions! Google, "Dark Angel Petitions". there are two, one for a movie, and one for a 3rd season. Who knows, anything is possible.

To sum it up in fruits, since it was mentioned before, Firefly to me is more like a perfect apple. Dark Angel, is more like an exotic fruit like a Guava. While Apples are good. There's nothing like a Guava.

Firefly was nice, but D.A lives in our hearts forever.