IMDb > "Dark Angel" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dark Angel" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Amazing

Author: Khadija17 from United States
27 June 2008

Dark Angel is a great action packed show with great actors. Jessica Alba did an amazing job as Max and the the show should have gone on. It was an amazing show and had a great run. It's too bad it had end so soon, if the person who declared that he didn't like Science fiction then why was he helping to write a Science fiction show? I can't think of a better person who could've portrayed Max or any of the characters any better. And reading other peoples comments I honestly don't understand why they are so fixed on criticizing Jessica Alba so badly. I mean she's a great actress and the rest of the cast are all great as well. I never noticed any so much mumbling I mean if you can understand them then so what. And the times are obviously real rough and you can't expect them to be all upbeat and happy all the time. The story was very intriguing and the action was off the chain. Eyes only was a good idea and very cool. It was sad that Logan and Max had such a screwed up relationship. They were such a cute couple.

All in all a great show that will be missed.

Nifty show

Author: Samiam3 from Canada
17 September 2009

In the the middle of a dark Winter's night (set in this year ironically 2009) a handful of genetically engineered kids escape the asylum in which they were trained to be super soldiers under the command of the tyrant-like Donald Lydecker. Some escape the guard some don't. Those who do escape split up and go their own ways. Twenty years or so later, America is in a major economic depression, and this is where we meet Max Guevera. Downtown in a West Coast American city, she works as a postal delivery girl, with her roommate 'Original' Cindy. Max has one objective in life at the moment, to be reunited with her brothers and sisters. Like her, they are all out there somewhere trying to hide from Lydecker and his goons. One night in a strange turn of events, Max meets Logan Cale, a technology whiz and a journalist. They strike a deal, Max will act as his spy, to help him bring down suspected criminals, and He will try and help Max locate her siblings. It is a dangerous game.

From the mighty James Cameron, who at the time was taking a break from Hollywood comes a quirky, sci-fi adventure, which balances wit, charm, and action in the story of one kick-ass Heroin. What a great way to start a career for Jessica Alba. She is perfect for the role, and the show is more interested in her filing the shoes of a strange character rather than showing off cleavage which, Alba has since done frequently.

the one problem I have with Dark Angel is a certain lack of excitement, Every time Max gets into trouble she gets out pretty easily because she is so much smarter and tougher than her enemies, but I guess that is what makes the show so quirky. It doesn't usually take itself seriously, and we grow to like the people.

Sci-fi lovers might get a kick out of Dark Angel.

Not sure...

Author: armand-12 from Romania
25 March 2001

Having seen the pilot and the first episode, I have mixed feeling about Dark Angel. Oh sure, Jessica Alba looks very good, but is this enough to make Dark Angel worth watching? I'm not sure.

The plot is pretty standard, not bad, but I've seen it before MANY times. Max is a messenger with no parents, no past and lives in a poor house, yet she has stylish clothes and has an expensive bike. How is this possible in a world where USA experienced a Apcalyptic-scale depression?

One thing that annoys me a bit is that most men the show seem... well... stupid to say the least, except that reporter - Logan. Also, I'm not anti-gay, but I don't see why that lesbian friend of Max should make remarks all the time. I'm rather tired with the whole Girl Power and Politically Correct things.

What I fear most is that Dark Angel will degenerate in a mindless series with no actual advancement in plot. Max will never really find what she's looking for, she and Logan will secretly fall in love with each other and so on... and so on, season after season.

Good for a quick look; otherwise, slow-moving

Author: Jay-231 (c3lornehop@aol.com) from Southern California
5 October 2000

With "Dark Angel," science fiction has reached its maturity on television. It encompasses a broad scope that even "The X-Files" cannot hope to match. Following the adventures of Max (Jessica Alba), a free-spirited and somewhat amoral genetically-engineered being hiding out in Seattle in 2009, it certainly has an evocative sci-fi look. It's enjoyable to see for the first time, perhaps as a milestone in TV history.

On its own terms, however, I believe "Dark Angel" will be forgotten within a few years. The characterization of Max is one of its problems. On the surface, they seem to have gotten her character nailed: inhumanly tough, extraordinarily intelligent, and morally ambiguous. But I believe the writers spent too much time trying to make her seem like a normal American girl (which she clearly is not). Max's dialogue is interspersed with 1990s slang and her actions betray a sense of exuberance that show she is clearly enjoying herself. To look at her relatively sanitized existence, one would be hard-pressed to believe she escaped from a brutal genetics lab and continues to suffer from violent flashbacks (the sci-fi equivalent of post-traumatic stress disorder). A simple portrait of a troubled youth who just happens to possess superhuman powers would have been fine, but the writers have seemingly been compelled to try to sell Max to the masses with a muddled characterization.

Another example of how "Dark Angel" panders to its TV audience is in its cast of supporting characters. Max, it turns out, is a bicycle messenger who goes to work every day from the apartment she shares with a parade of multicultural young people, one of whom is a lesbian. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with minorities and gays on television; it's just that I think these characters were created solely to cash in on Fox's young, liberal demographic. Besides, isn't Max supposed to be a moody loner obsessed with finding the children with whom she was imprisoned in the genetics lab? Surrounding her with an assortment of "hip" characters really distracts us from the plot. In particular, the witty comments made by Max's lesbian friend don't seem to fit the tone of the show.

Then there's Logan Cale, a muckraking cyberjournalist who is determined to shut down the corrupt politicians and businessman who have seized control of Seattle. After meeting Max, he agrees to help her find her missing labmates if she will in turn use her enhanced abilities to fight crime in the city. The actor playing Cale does a good job of helping to bring out Max's sense of morality, but I can't help thinking he'll eventually wind up a caricature. I'm particularly certain he'll become Max's "dopey sidekick" who gets into trouble and has to be rescued by her in just about every episode.

On top of all this, "Dark Angel" seems to be extremely slow-moving. If the writers have been aiming for a coming-at-you narrative, they have failed miserably. The pilot started out good, with brief yet descriptive images of a futuristic hell, but everything went downhill from there with too many subplots and expository scenes.

This show could still work, if James Cameron manages to persuade Fox to make a few changes after the pilot: no wimpy sidekicks, no clichéd stock characters. Focus exclusively on Max and Cale, develop their relationship. Make both of them fully believable characters with individual strengths and weaknesses. I will continue watching "Dark Angel" for the next two to three weeks or so. If nothing has changed by then, I'm afraid I'll have to say goodbye to this potentially excellent sci-fi series.

Improved, but not by much

Author: motor89 from Lancashire, England
12 April 2001

I originally wrote a review of "Dark Angel" after seeing the pilot (it's on IMDB too), and short summary is: Rubbish.

I really didn't think much of it. The action scenes were poor, and the acting even worse. The camera work was restricted to beauty shots of Jessica Alba, and continuity seemed to be monitored by a chimp.

Well, I've now seen a number of episodes and my opinion hasn't changed much. There are some improvements - the action scenes are *much* better choreographed and more spectacular; and the reduced budget seems to have improved it by forcing it to have a bit more story and less flash.

There are still problems. Acting is pretty poor - Alba in particular does not have what it takes to play Max. While she is obviously very attractive, she cannot put across the more lively and playful aspects of Max's character. Her attempts often end up looking like gurning or obvious posing. Some of the blame for this has to lie with the director and producers of course - they do have a responsibility to spot when something is not working. It's not all bad though: the "will they/won't they" between Max and Logan Cale turned out to surprisingly effective and watchable - in fact, it is by far the best part of the show.

So does "Dark Angel" deserve another series. I'm sorry to say this but, no, in my opinion it doesn't. There just isn't enough there for me to care about it.

Season 1 is alright, but tries too hard to be "hip", Season 2 sucks ass

Author: movieman_kev from United States
18 September 2005

Jessica Alba is Max Guevera, a top secret genetically-engineered but mentally deficient hotty who after escaping captivity lives as a bike message courier in Seattle of a post-apocalyptic world of 2009, while searching for the other government experiments that have escaped,running up against the "evil" Manticor corporation, and learning of her past piece by piece along the way. Her and her wheelchair bound journalist do-gooder, try to take "the Man" down. Oh, and I hate the black lesbian with the drag queen name of "the Original Cindy", she's just an ultra-lame character. Other then that it was an alright show... well the first season was at least, season 2 sucked balls. Think of a second-rate "Alias", but with a sci-fi tinge.

My Season 1

Grade: C+ Season one

DVD Extras: Commentary on the Pilot by creator Eglee and director David Nutter, "Rising" by Eglee and writer René Echevarria, & "And I Am a Camera" by Eglee, Echevarria and director Charles Woolnaugh; three behind the scenes featurettes; Audition tapes; Blooper Reel; and "Dark Angel" video game trailer

Had one thing going for it...

Author: Tom from Detroit
2 December 2002

This is a show that, despite horrible writing and terribly obvious plots, had a hot chick starring in it. Outside of that, I could not find any reason to watch this show. The first season, there were a few things to watch outside of the realm of the horny 14 year old boy, but in the season finale the first year, they destroyed the one thing that kept the series going. It's one thing to see someone fight a conspiracy, but once they win, well, there's not a whole hell of a lot to be said, without getting completely ridiculous. Which is what happened with this show... And made it completely suck

No 'Angel'

Author: Christopher Smith
27 April 2001

James Cameron just can't put together a good production anymore. First, he makes the unbearable TITANIC and now he's made one of the worst sci-fi series ever. FOX thought having a James Cameron TV show and a very attractive actress [Jessica Alba] would be enough to bring in the high ratings. Well, it wasn't. I can't believe this show is still on the air. The pilot episode was okay, but after that the premise got old. Cameron would have been better off just making a theatrical release of the pilot. It would be about 90 minutes long and would probably do good at the box office if it had better special effects. This is a no 'Angel'.

Let Dark Angel die a peaceful death

Author: squodge from London, England
18 January 2003

Dark Angel started off full of promise. However, just like most contemporary American television, producers seem to think that good looking actresses make for good viewing. They don't.

Dark Angel suffered from about the second or third episode into the second season, and the television networks did well to drop it like the proverbial plague. Bad storylines coupled with poor acting made this one of the worst shows ever. Even "The Simpson" has better acting, and they're all celluloid!

I think Cameron should have made Dark Angel a movie rather than a television series. He should have spent more on a script and drafted a decent actress. And it was scandalous how they dropped John Savage without warning - he was definitely one of the highlights of the show.

Bring back Dark Angel? No, let it die in peace. Lots of good moments, but sadly far too many duff ones. There was also too much stereotyping. Main star (Alba) is eye candy, then there's the black girl friend with "yo mama" speech built-in, and a nerdy type (Eyes Only). Pur-lease! Show some originality! This typecasting was evident in Knight Rider of the 1980's...why, oh why, are producers still coming out with formulaic stuff? Especially when it fails to work.

decent first season.... then it goes downhill, and fast

Author: I_saw_it_happen from United States
4 June 2010

It's true that the plot is pretty cliché, and that in some ways Alba is more a 'looker' than an actress in this show. But there are some great moments in the first season, to be sure. Some real drama, some good character development, and some rather funny dialogue, as well. The scenes at the bike courier depot that run through the show are actually far more entertaining than secondary plots usually are (works better than the 'Buy-More' at Chuck, for instance). There's nothing new offered in this show, just unrealized promise.

And this show clearly should have stopped after the first season. It gets ridiculous by the end. Rather than just 'super-soldiers', we find that there are essentially 'mutants' running about, now, including a half-man half-dog creature who we're supposed to find 'adorable', and yet I found only increasingly annoying.

If there's absolutely nothing better to watch, the first season of Dark Angel is a mediocre show which has some high points. But the show does collapse under it's own weak foundations and lack of direction. And so unless you've already seen everything else to see, it's probably better not to get too involved in this one.

Not recommended.