IMDb > "City of Angels" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"City of Angels" More at IMDbPro »

I hope that the series will bloom and glow!!!!

Author: Rosemea D.S. MacPherson from US
20 January 2000

We watched the first two episodes and enjoyed it very much. The series creator Steven Bochco (Hill Street Blues) has created many good series and City of Angels is very promising. Blair Underwood "Dr. Ben Turner" has a "love - hate" relationship with Vivica A. Fox (Why Do Fools Fall in Love) "Dr. Lillian Price." The plot and script so far are good! I like the series also because it is giving a change to ethnic minority group actors a change to shine. I hope that the series will bloom and glow!!!!

City of Angels - SUPERIOR Programming

Author: Nameisbargain from United States
1 June 2005

I'm on the soapbox: City of Angels, Blair Underwood, Vivica Fox and Hill Harper never should have been cancelled.

The first problem is that it aired on CBS which is known as an anti-African-American network. WHY it started on CBS, I don't know! I worked as a consultant with the Legal Dept of CBS and I agree, they are NOT friendly to Blacks.

The second problem is that it did not run long enough to establish good ratings.

March 13, 2005, TVOne (Directv and Comcast) starting the series. It ran for about 7 weeks. It's June 1st and near the end of May, City of Angels was replaced with another program.

What can be done? Go to tvoneonline.com and look for the tab 'contacts'. Write the Chairman of the Board and the VP of Programming and Production. They are at their corporate headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. Let them know how you feel about cancellation of a superior program.

I agree with all the good comments on this board by those who watched and liked the program. Hooray!!! for your good words.

Anytime a program portrays Black America in a position of leadership, good role models, influence, wealth -- the program gets cancelled.

Let's face it, the TV media is a powerful tool designed for White America. So as long as the networks can perpetuate Blacks singing, dancing, popping one's fingers, shaking one's tail-feather and playing cards, then they'll continue to do that to make us look bad.

We have enough 'Showtime at the Apollo' and too much 'Tom Joyner'. And the religious programming is a side show: nothing Christian about it.

Yet, we gladly accept the racist, ignorant programming because "at least they made it on to the TV". Oftentimes, THAT can be used against us. And just putting ANYTHING on the TV and accepting it because they are Black is not good enough. Poison is poison and all of this jive, and finger popping and card playing is poison to young (and OLD) minds.

Blacks can do more than sing and dance. And City of Angels presented a positive choice. It was thought-provoking.

I worked in a similar hospital in Los Angeles (Watts) and could relate to City of Angels. I understood exactly what the problems were and could relate.

My comment is that I liked the show and I'd like to buy it on DVD, CD, video: whatever media is available.

But guess what! YOU CAN'T GET IT ON ANY MEDIA!!!!!! Now how's that for swatching a terrific program. Pretty terrible that it can'be be purchased, rented, nothing! If they were white (Chicago Hope), I'll be we could buy it.

I guess trash sells. Look at BET.

Janet Thropp

Not Given A Chance

Author: hillari from Chicago, USA
7 March 2002

This hospital drama was not given a chance to grow. That is the problem with TV programming today: years ago, shows were given time to be seen and perhaps, improve. It's amazing that any TV series stay on longer than a month these days, because advertising dollars have come to account for more than quality programming. This was not a bad show. However, it did have some strikes against it. Some of the plots appeared to be the same old standard ones that always crop up in hospital dramas (but then the show wasn't on long enough to see if it would branch out). Also, the majority of the principal characters were African-American, and it is a sad fact of American TV that audiences and TV executives are more comfortable when African-Americans are being funny than being serious. You would think that by this time there would be as many African-American TV dramas as there have been comedies, but it hasn't happened yet.

Great show depicting the talent of under used African-American actors!

Author: dbd-3 from Atlanta, Ga.
20 March 2000

I watch this show every week and I will say it will be a great injustice if this show gets cancelled! For the entire hour, I am completely captivated! I find myself laughing, gasping, damn near crying sometimes because of the depth of the story! "ER" might want to take a few pointers! I just love the way the writers have put Lillian Price and Ron Harris in this powder keg! You can just tell in the upcoming episodes that there is going to be some s**t between those two! I'm rooting for my girl Lillian! Ron Harris needs to learn some humility! YOU SEE HOW CAUGHT UP I AM IN THIS SHOW! CBS better recognize and renew this show for the fall season! If CBS can keep a sorry and miserable show like "Chicago Hope" on for another long and boring season, then they have to come correct with "City of Angels"!

Show axed just as it had improved significantly

Author: akemeyer from Washington DC
21 April 2001

Unfortunately I didn't see more than an episode or two of the first season but this past fall I became a regular viewer after my favorite actor Kyle Secor was added to the cast as a regular. City of Angels became my new favorite quickly and it improved more with each successive episode. CBS made a grave mistake when they did not allow the series to find it's audience and they burdened the series with the tag "African American Show" Seems to me that there were nearly as many hispanics and a fair representation of asians and whites as well. Why not play up the fact that it was realistic, you never see Homicide Life on the Street or Gideons Crossing claiming to be a "Black Show" Anyway it was shameful that we didn't even get a chance to see the remaining episodes that were taped but never shown, this show never had a fair chance. The actors were wonderful, the plotlines and writing excellent, an all-around great show.

what do you all expect?

Author: micacj1983 from United States
3 January 2006

I had this cultural diversity class last semester and when I read some of the previous comments, I thought of the minstrel shows that I studied. CBS executives really only want to see blacks in comedic roles-jumping around acting silly. I believe that when young blacks see this narrow minded portrayal of blacks on BET and other shows, they think that that is the way that they should act. City of Angels was a step in the right direction. CBS executives can now say that they tried...they can say that they gave the show a chance...yeah, they know that they were not really giving the show a chance...I saw an episode in TVone and I was outraged at how good the show was and that it was not on air still. I then realized that it is a black show and America has not come that far quite yet. I am seeing the show years after it was canceled and I could not keep my eyes off of the TV. Has there been a boycott organized????

Why they always take away the good ones

Author: 172 from St. Louis, MO
22 March 2001

Every time we get a African-American show they never last the duration. It wasn't time for this show to end. I felt that this show showed positive role-models for young African-American's to go by and know they can achieve. I really liked the show it showed me alot of diversity. I'm in healthcare so I could relate to the issues that was expressed. But I often found myself comparing this show with ER. I also love ER, but it was just something about this show that made me tape it or race home to see it. This show had been through some times, because CBS bounced the days around as well as the time. But this show seem to have it's viewers follow the different times and days that it is on.

Why was City of Angels (2000) cancelled?

Author: BRIEJHETTE58
31 January 2001

Please tell me why City of Angels (2000) was cancelled. The show had all the drama and suspense needed to make a excellent series. The show was riveting. I loved it and looked forward to watching it every Thursday evening. Even if I had to work or wasn't at home that evening, I taped it. The show was and is just as good as any of it's counterparts. Was the show cancelled because of low ratings. I'm sure that there are more shows than this one whose rating aren't in the top 10. Was it cancelled because the show's cast primarily was African-Americans and not believable. If that's the case, I would have never liked the Cosby's. If any show was unbelievable, it was this one. I didn't like the show at first, but I continued to watch it and grew to like the show. I thought the show started out really bad, but as the time went on the show became a success. City of Angels (2000) can become a success, given a chance. Thank you

Great Show!!!

Author: singhd from Laguna Hills, CA
18 January 2001

This is a first for me. But I am very disappointed in the cancellation of this wonderful night time drama. It made my Thursday night and my week. It was my "MUST SEE TV". Please bring this winner back to the air, you will definately have one dedicated and loyal watcher. Thank you.

Praise of open-mindedness

Author: Pat Bonner (pbonner-2) from Amarillo, TX
12 January 2001

"City of Angels" (creation of Stephen Bocho) is a welcomed TV series with a unique twist in casting ethnicity. The theme music is titillating, as are each of the plots. A great mixture of talent, humor, real-life situations, and human emotions (especially compassion).