IMDb > Boys and Girls (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Boys and Girls

Boys and Girls More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Sue me, I enjoyed this movie.

Author: Aislynn
28 July 2000

Note that I say "movie" and not "film". I was dragged to see this, but I found myself really liking it. The chemistry is wonderful and even though the storyline isn't the most original thing in the world, it has enough spark to keep it going. Definitely more of a rent-able movie, but let down your guard about teen flicks. This one is pretty good. :)

Better Than "When Harry Met Sally"

Author: chickenpotpie from colorado
26 June 2000

All the critics seem to be saying that this movie is trying to be "When Harry Met Sally" and failing miserably at it, instead of seeing what a nice change of pace it is to see a romantic movie about two people who don't cuss and run around naked. I get so tired of seeing the same plot line over and over and then when someone makes an original movie like "Boys and Girls" it is bashed because people say it is boring. It is not boring, it just contains great dialogue instead of the usual lame boyfriend girlfriend story where they all try to figure out who to sleep with next or what funny sex scene they can come up with. It is incredibly sweet and it contains a great performance by the wonderful Claire Forlani. She is such an incredible actress and no one seems to notice. The same thing happened with "Meet Joe Black" because it had wonderful dialogue and no one saw that either. I think people just don't like movies with any character development that may actually cause you to think about anything other than what will blow up next. If you want to see something that takes a little effort to understand, then go see "Boys and Girls". The dance scene alone is worth the $7.00.

One of the best romantic comedies out there

Author: chungkao21 from Virginia, USA
28 April 2001

Okay, technically, it was kind of predictable in the case that boy meets girl, boy and girl encounter turbulence in relationship, and then boy and girl end up back together at the very end of the movie. However, let me ask you this: How else is a romantic comedy suppose to go? I challenge anyone who isolates this flick's unoriginality as the reason for their dislike to come up with a better overall plot for a romantic comedy. I think that the writers did an excellent job of adding onto the generic template and making this film enjoyable to watch. First of all there's the whole thing with "fated" meetings where the two main characters seem just unable to get away from each other which adds that sweet "soul mates" ideal (even though I personally don't buy into that stuff, there is an undeniable charm to the idea). Then there is the still-unoriginal-but-not-yet-hackneyed idea of attempting a mere friendship between the guy and the girl. Finally, there is the inevitable falling in love, the relationship problems, and then the falling back in love towards the end of the movie. As a matter of fact, the only problem I have with the script is the miniscule hypocrisy found in it: at some point in the movie, Jennifer states that a romance movie never shows the affect of time on long term relationships, and this movie was not an exception as it ends with them making up and going off to live "happily ever after".

Now we can look at the undeniable chemistry and superb acting of the two main characters, Ryan and Jennifer. The interactions of these two characters is the classic example of not getting along as kids but falling in love as adults. Freddie Prinze Jr. and Claire Forlani are two of the up and coming celebrities of teen movies and I personally feel that they did their part in this movie by acting well. Also, the principle humor of this movie did not lie in the common slapstick or sexual humor, although Jason Biggs does add in those factors hilariously. I think the main characters came off as more intellectual (as one majors in engineering and the other in Latin) so the writers aimed more towards clever jokes, anecdotes, and quip remarks which, to me, seemed just as hilarious as Jason Biggs's antics.

All in all, this isn't the BEST movie in the world, but it IS definitely a good movie if you want to watch a movie that will make you feel like Love is something real and not just some random idea that people have in their heads.

I am not afraid to admit that I like it.

Author: GARINDIAN from USA
12 December 2001

In an era when "teenage-girl movies" run rampant, it is easy to dismiss this as just another flick targeted to make young girls squeal over Freddie Prinze Jr or one of his 20-something cohorts. Boys and Girls, however, is different. It presents itself with much more class, and comedy, than most other films of its genre. Boys and Girls has an engaging story that makes the audience connect, emotionally, with the problems of the main characters. The film has more than one story that it follows. It touches on the lives of four different college students and their failing attempts at social interaction. Its involving story line is strengthened by the funny parts, too. Each character has their own unique quirks that make the viewing experience that much more enjoyable. Boys and Girls leaves many other films of merit in its dust and deserves much more recognition than it has received.

"When Harry Met Sally" for teens

Author: paloma-4 from Boston, MA
16 June 2000

Boys and Girls is a predictable but fun look at two young people who are friends with potential. This movie follows Ryan, an uptight nerdy type who feels all life should be planned out to the very minute. Enter Jennifer, a quirky fun and free girl who is out to enjoy life as the adventure it is. Ryan and Jennifer meet a few times over the years before finally settling into a comfortable friendship at college. Where will their relationship go as they share more of their lives together? It's an obvious movie with an incredibly close resemblance to When Harry Met Sally (somewhat less clever than its grownup counterpart, but cute nonetheless). Freddie Prinze Jr. and Claire Forlaini have wonderful chemistry and are fun to watch (especially in the dance club scene). Ryan's best friend and Jennifer's best friend are played by Jason Biggs and Amanda Detmer with whimsical freedom. They provide much of the comic relief and are an enjoyable distraction from the plot. If you want a little escape from life for a few hours, this movie is just the light, enjoyable distraction you could be looking for.

A decent movie...

Author: Nick Jamieson (Machiko) from Sherwood Park, Alberta
27 March 2002

This movie is an interesting piece of filmwork. The characters are completely believable, the story is effective and funny, and the actors pull it off with such distinction, I have new faith in Prinze's ability to act. Many say these are the only roles he's good in - so what? If this type of character is what he does best, let him stick to it. Claire Forlani is a new face, but bright and powerful, with the kind of new charm we first got from Hewitt or Gellar. This movie is a romance, so it may not appeal to everyone, but altogether, it is a decent movie, recommended for about 10 and up.

Such a sweet film.

Author: Jenny (jsabloomfield@aol.com) from East Sussex, England
28 January 2003

Sometimes you want to watch a film, not to hugely stimulate the mind but to stimulate the heart and this one did it for me. The romantic concept was a familiar one of boy and girl meet but don't seem to get together and they become 'friends' but when they do strife comes of it. The ending may have been predictable but it was uplifting and very sweet and even though it's just a film you come out feeling optimistic that maybe happy endings do exist.

Give it a chance!

Author: Sam Riley from UK
11 January 2003

This film may be predictable, but it is so in a good way. I found it fun yet thoughtful at the same time. Its a Romantic Comedy that has something about it that makes you laugh out loud or cringe with embarrassment! I reccomend this film to anyone who wants a good laugh and a good cry! I give it 8/10.

I simply LOVE this movie!

Author: Martin Kristensen (cq_emilio) from Holstebro, Denmark
3 June 2001

Yes, I simply love this movie. I love this kind of movie, that has both romance and comedy in it. And Claire Forlani is brilliant, here acting skills is huge and she's THE most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Freddy Prince is good too, plays great, and his role is great. Jason Biggs' role is very funny, and gives the movie the comedy touch, that I love.

What more can I say??... I love it, and I think it's brilliant... It's a MUST SEE.

Excellent!!

Author: oceanicitl from London, England
17 February 2004

Thoroughly enjoyed the film. The chemistry between Freddie and Claire was great. Would recommend this to anyone who loved 'When Harry met Sally'. Jason Biggs is great as the best friend showing more character than in the American Pie films. If you like Claire Forlani then you must watch 'Meet Joe Black'!!

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]