IMDb > Crocodile (2000) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

This Crocodile is a Turkey

Author: krorie from Van Buren, Arkansas
18 September 2005

When I saw this on the SciFi Channel, I started to turn it off but then I kept thinking, "This has got to get better." But, no, it kept getting worse. The acting is so awful that it doesn't even play as camp. The teens scream their lines and the older actors (used loosely) are no better. Why, the teens can't even cuss right. Since they are supposed to be from New York City, you would think they could at least do that. Maybe they're Park Avenue teens. They make Joe Namath look good.

What upset me most about this turkey was when I looked up who was responsible for it. Would you believe Tobe Hooper? Has he been smoking wacky weed again! This is a long way down hill from "Poltergeist." And the special effects are an abomination. Some of the cheaper sci-fi flicks of the 50's look like Star Wars compared to this one. Apparently the SciFi Channel edited parts of the film. But I doubt if that makes much difference here. Take my advice and watch an earlier Tobe Hooper creation, such as "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre."

Laughable.

Author: Phil Watts (philwatts@mac.com) from UK
12 July 2004

Maybe I don't get this movie. Is it supposed to be as bad as it seems? When I watched Cabin Fever (and let's face it, Crocodile is similar with a different enemy) I thought I'd misunderstood it because there was a chance that the sheer awfulness was deliberate.

It's the usual (and annoyingly repetitive) Teenager Elimination flick (along with Cabin Fever, Wrong Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Jeepers Creepers, etc, etc) and, predictably, the characters are so obnoxious and shallow that you don't care who dies next. The afore- mentioned movies have a few things in common. Firstly you need a few teenagers to hate. Secondly, the enemy (which could be anything) needs to start wiping out the teenagers. Also required are some locals who know the history behind the enemy. Sound familiar? I can't understand why movie makers still write this kind of trash.

The CGI was awful. Another comment left here explained that this movie was supposed to be rubbish and the CGI was supposed to be unrealistic. What?! Why would a movie company want to spend its money on a film with unconvincing special effects on purpose? Ludicrous. This was released in 2000 and there's no excuse for bad effects these days.

The acting was substandard too. The writers have injected a love story into the mix which, quite frankly, didn't help things along. There was a little insight to the characters but after establishing that, you still didn't care who was going to die and when.

Won't be watching this one again in a hurry - if I'd read the review in the TV guide, I wouldn't have bothered at all. It's just the same old formula with a different enemy. Doesn't matter whether it's a contagious disease, piranhas, man with chainsaw, demon, alien or crocodile - stick a selection of unconvincing teenagers into the situation and you've got movie-making at its worst.

actually pretty fun...

Author: ejskaterboy from United States
9 July 2010

Alright... let's be honest here... when you come across a movie entitled Crocodile what can you expect at the most... I mean seriously. Your not gonna expect Jaws or any other big budget film... I guess what I'm getting at is that this movie is pretty decent for a low budget B monster movie. I mean the acting is a little below average considering it was most of the casts first movie. The effects are actually somewhat decent for the time, aside for a few shots of an ugly CG crocodile. The story has been done over and over but that's the fun of it, in my opinion, comparing them all together. The gore was decent and it was bloody enough to satisfy me. This movie, honestly, is what you'd expect from a B movie, and you can't really ask for anything more of it... you just can't. But i do believe this was the first to start the whole cheesy B crocodile movie phase but this one actually executed it pretty well. It's entertaining, fun, hilarious, cliché, and cheesy but that's what i look for when watching a film like this. So if you happen to look for the same things I look for one coming upon a film such as this than i recommend it, but if your looking for a Lake Placid then don't watch it.

Not great but I have seen worse

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
24 June 2009

Eight teenagers go out on a weekend boat trip on a remote lake in Southern California only to have it turn into a nightmare when they are stalked by a very large, monstrous man-eating crocodile after they disturb its nest, and soon they must band together in order to survive from the beast

I love killer Animals movies and this it not bad at all, I for one think this movie is really good, it had some good scare scenes which made me jump.

Acting in this movie was not great but not bad at all as I have seen much worse.

For me this movie never got boring has I was really griped into the story! Very good cheesy /scary Crocodile movie 6/10

If you're eaten by a giant croc, wear bug spray

Author: farce4u from WA
12 November 2002

This movie is laughably awful. The crocodile defies gravity with amazing hang-time (it leaps about 30 vertical ft. over a police boat), plows down buildings, blows up trucks, eats people like gummy bears, and chomps a dock to oblivion. Leave alone the fact that crocodiles are generally saltwater creatures. Enter two grizzled, enigmatic yocals who know all about the killer croc (Why? no one really knows), but can't help hand-feeding the thing dead chickens. The action scenes consist of jiggley cameras and ketchup squirting from squeeze bottles.

The characters show no remorse for fallen friends and even cheer when a truck containing one of their peers is blown to kingdom come. Surprisingly, the acting isn't the worst thing about it; the screenplay is worse. You know from the beginning who will be alive at the end and who will be croc feed. Each character is easily compartmentalized so as not to strain the short attention spans of the teens and twenty-somethings this movie is targeted for.

Even Anaconda had redeeming moments compared to this garbage.

Rating: 1 / 10

What a croc

Author: New Found Faith from USA
6 March 2001

This is one bad film. Bad acting, bad writing, bad direction, and bad special effects. I thanked God the characters starting getting eaten, they wear on your nerves almost immediately. If this is the best Tobe Hooper can do, I weep for the future of horror. I give this a much deserved 1.

Go into this one at your own risk.

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
1 March 2002

Hmmm. This movie is kind of a double-edged sword. It's like this, I saw the box and grabbed it up because I wanted something to make fun of. Much like I did with Alligator (which turned out being really good). But here, Tobe Hooper was directing, so I figured it may be worth a shot. Back to what I was saying earlier. There is a lot to be made fun of in this movie, if you're not used to this sort of thing. Those weird people (like myself) who spend much of their free time bashing other people's work will be right at home here. Whether it be some of the characters' ill-executed dialouge or the even iller-executed Croc effects, which sometimes work and sometimes don't. Or it could just be the fact that this is the dumbest bunch of college-agers ever put on film (with the exception of Urban Legend: Final Cut).

Let me say what I like about this movie before I go any further and tell you what passes for the plot. A bunch of beer-swilling college kids (they look like their around that age, but I don't think any of them are smart enough to get in college. No, I'm not being funny) are on a Spring Break and have rented a house boat for what promises to be a fun trip on the lake. They've got all the goods. Beer, beer, and more beer. There's every characters cliche that you would come to expect, featuring the smartass, the whiner who's having trouble with his girlfriend, the loudmouth, the one who's just a little bit louder than the rest, the prude, the slut (I liked her), you get the idea. Everyone has seen this all before...Anyway, one of the girls happens to be unknowingly carrying a crocodile egg in her bag that the prankster put in there as a joke...I don't get it. But, that's the set-up for the whole damn movie. Understandably, the croc is none too happy about her egg being stolen and she's going to try everything in her power to get it back. and maybe have a little fun along the way. You can figure out the rest. The ultimate beer-bash on water, turns into a fight for survival.

Now, even though I've seen this done a thousand times, I still enjoyed Crocodile and rarely got bored. Their were a couple of moments that spent too much time meandering, but the characters are fun to be around and even the Crocodile has a certain charm. Like many other horror flicks out right now, this one has the punk/pop soundtrack and it just makes the whole thing that much more fun. Even though it's predictable, Crocodile is still worth a rental. I would've expected more from the guy who brought us the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, though. Anyhow, give it a run. It's great for some laughs.

Garbage.

Author: phoenixnell from Toronto, Canada
25 November 2004

I can honestly say, this was the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Complete garbage. I think the only reason I kept watching it was because I was having too much fun insulting it and picking it a part for its inaccuracies. I agree the acting was horrible, and crocodile was completely unrealistic. NO crocodile in the entire world moves, walks, swims, and even opens it mouth the way this one did. And I see no reason for it to even be chasing the teenagers in the first place - why would it abandon its nest? The only reason I'd suggest watching it is if you want a really good laugh at how terrible it is. It tries to be a horror film, but comes out as an accidental comedy!

They should've called it "Crock"...

Author: mpa22 from Putnam County, NY, USA
6 July 2003

(Possible "spoiler" included) What a bunch of nonsense! I watched this movie on the Sci-Fi channel last night only because I had no other plans and didn't feel like going to the video store to get a movie. Well, my laziness was "rewarded" with an awful movie! After watching this for a while, I was hoping that the giant croc would finish off the whole group of partiers so the movie could end! The acting was average at best, and the plot was extremely thin. Did the movie ever give us an explanation of how this very large crocodile came to be in this particular lake? (Maybe I had dozed off at that point!) Skip this one unless you're really desperate for entertainment.

How worse can it get?

Author: Christina from United States
12 January 2006

I just got done watching Crocodile on Scifi and I could not shake off the fact that this movie was horrible.

It seems like another "teen" cheap sci movie. Nothing spectacular about it. They obviously didn't seem to read up a lot about crocodiles, or animals for that matter.

Since when do shells bounce of a crocodile when you shoot them? Or when does a crocodile stand next to a car ready to blow up and not get tanked? I don't know, whoever wrote this movie & what-not, must of been on some serious drugs.

So my advice when it comes to it is this, it's only good if you're realllllly bored.

1 out of 4 stars!