IMDb > Moulin Rouge! (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Moulin Rouge!

Moulin Rouge! More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 234: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

Taken on a sensational fantasy journey.

Author: hunny_bees from Wales, UK
24 June 2002

I watched this on DVD with my boyfriend, it was rather a case of not being able to agree on any other to rent. To be honest by the time we got home I was starting to think I would have a bath and wash my hair instead.

Gosh my hair can go dirty. This film was Fab, Terrific, Super Duper. At 40something years of age I was laughing and crying at a musical the worrying thing is so was my boyfriend.

I dont know where to start, it was visually sensational, the music was Fab. We were delighted each time another song came along that we knew (must buy the sound track), the casting fantastic, direction superb it even had a good story......well ok it was one big fantasy that I was happy to be taken into and given an emotional ride.

The second time I saw it I was touched for the very first time

Author: eb8181 from New York, NY
18 June 2002

When I first saw Moulin Rouge! last spring, I agreed with the nay-sayers. I thought the camera work was a bit too jarring, the story was too melo-dramatic, the choice of songs was inappropriate, etc. However, I rented the movie last night, and all of my misconceptions were extinguished. This is a spectacular, spectacular film! We are bombarded with uber-realism in today's cinema. Moulin Rouge! offers an entertaining vacation from the normal filmic experience. Moulin Rouge!concerns itself more with its artistic vision rather than the tired popularity contest of most studio films. Luhrman's original style and the sheer talent of the cast (McGregor, Kidman, Broadbent, and more) prove that the musical genre is not dead and, more so, that it can be extremely enjoyable to watch. So if you didn't like Moulin Rouge! the first time, I urge you to see it again with an open mind.

My daring ENCOUNTER with "MOULIN ROUGE"

Author: retrodaze
23 April 2002

It must be said that a standing ovation, and world-wide recognition must be given to someone who had a great influence on the outcome of this film....

And the award goes too...... (drumroll please).....

The amazing, the fantastic, the incredible.....PLASTIC SURGEON who worked on Nicole's b@@bies! YAY! CHEERS! WHOO-HOO!! AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!! A masterful job if there ever was one

Those two inspired me to continue to watch from beginning to end - through all the sappy-yet-sometimes-really-cool love songs, the ridiculous casting of Ewan McBoringCantSingSoTheyDubbedOverWithTheVoiceofA20YearOldSopranoWhoSoundsNothingLikeMeGregor, and the greased-lightning fast camera cuts through the opening 20 minutes. Yes, through it all, there they stood, proud, magnificent, defiant, and against the wind like a bulwark to a raging storm.

Unfortunately, the film got better. And better. And better. Soon I found myself in a quandry.....torn between staring at the close-ups of Nicole, or ACTUALLY paying attention to the increasingly interesting film. Understanding there was no way I could preform both at the same time, alas, I eventually gave in and watched the movie, knowing full well that I would never overreach yonder mountains in this lifetime anyway. Undaunted, I proudly went back to the guys at the office, held my head up high and said..YES! I sat through an entire MUSICAL....and I LIKED it!

Suffice it to say that all in all, they,...um... I mean.. it, was indeed, a Spectacular Spectacular!! >:-)

masterpiece

Author: robin_a1
19 April 2002

I totally agree with Rob, from NY. My girlfriend is from Spain. She thinks with these simple universal love stories they distill love to the bone and create an a new original version of an age old idea. The film is a work of art because it really does take you on a journey and if you fail to be taken in by this story then you are a cold hearted cynic and shame on you. This is what love should be and hardly ever is. Life is never like this but at least for a couple of hours we can believe it and love it. If you love your partner take her/him to see this film. If they don't come out loving you intensely, then dump them. It's true. Believe me. My favourite bit is Like a virgin with the aristocratic lothario and the Moulin Rouge impresario. My girlfriend's favourite bit is the dialogue/song battle using all the songs you've ever heard of in a seamless medley of intense pleasure: love versus convenience and who's paying the rent. Ultimately it's a fable but hey, it's fun and let's us all forget the drudgery of normal life for a moment. And if they actually had the final production/theatre piece on stage anywhere in the world in real life it would be sold out forever, forget Les Mis or other such rubbish, this was exciting and vivid - and I HATE musicals. Except Grease of course. What can I say, forget the US cynic critics and follow your heart. At least for once. Some people say you love this film or hate it. Maybe it's whether you get it or not. I hope you get it. Maybe it's because I have loved and been loved in return I love this movie but hope others can follow this path. Remember kids, there IS nothing else to life apart from Love. Don't forget it.

Breathtaking!

Author: BB_GiRl
19 April 2002

This is a complex movie made out of a simple, unfortunately sad, story. I think that transforming a basic boy-meets-girl-falls-in-love-and-one-of-them-dies plot into a masterpiece is the work of a genius, but you can't expect less from Baz Luhrmann, now can you? Ok Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor aren't exactly Julie Andrews and Frank Sinatra but the bottom line is that they gave wonderful performances, despite the singing, and they had a real chemistry between them, which is something you don't get everyday. This is the kind of movie that goes to the extremes. Either you love it or you hate it. But most important, this is a movie about love. Since nobody really understands love, don't try to understand Moulin Rouge, just feel it!

Film-making at the expense of the narrative.

Author: Stuart Fernie from Tain, Scotland
10 March 2002

I know I'm going against the flow, but ...

Having seen Baz Luhrmann's `Romeo and Juliette', I approached `Moulin Rouge!' with some trepidation. I found R & J interesting yet flawed (I felt that the modern setting was unnecessary and sensationalist, and what made the film special was its sheer energy and verve). I was ready to dislike the use of modern songs in MR for similar reasons, but in the end I found that aspect of the film perfectly acceptable and even fitting!

However, taken as a whole, I found the film self-indulgent, over-directed, over-edited, and pretentious.

There is no doubt that Mr Luhrmann is a very talented film-maker, with highly original and daring ideas. However, I can't help but feel that style should be used to enhance and embellish the narrative, while here the story is saturated with style to such an extent it is virtually suffocated. I think there is quite a moving tragic tale going on underneath the very glossy exterior, but I found it very difficult to get particularly involved as my attention was constantly drawn to yet another directorial device rather than the storyline. The most interesting and entertaining passages were the slower, more gentle ones, which did not involve sudden and disorientating cuts to and fro.

I will undoubtedly be accused of being old-fashioned, but I appreciate a film whose story is considered paramount, and where directorial style and skill are used to enhance that story. When the audience is more aware of how a film is put together, I'm afraid the director may be accused of having failed in his task.

incredibly bad

Author: JG
18 June 2001

I was prepared to enjoy this movie, and I wound up hating it. None of the expensive fx, scenery, or interesting characters were given any screen time. There was nothing to take in and gasp at, as much as the director wanted you to go "ooh" and "ahh" - how could you when everything you want to see flies by with so many jumpcuts and camera angles that the only things you are left to see clearly are all the pores on the main characters' faces in interminably long, badly sung scenes?

This was one long boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl, boy loses girl again, boy gets girl again and how many more times is this going to go on and so on and so on in mind-numbing tedium.

I started imagining, while watching this movie, how it would have been much better on a Broadway stage, replete with real singers, real dancers, real choreography and imaginative and beautiful set designs.. or even as a movie with a different director that would allow the viewer to be involved in more of the visual fantasy than just how much pancake makeup Nicole and Ewan were wearing.

Huh? I must have been sitting in the wrong theatre.

Author: JPK-10
8 June 2001

I WANTED to like Moulin Rouge. I liked Romeo & Juliet. I liked Strictly Ballroom. I like oddball films, I appreciate offbeat juxtapositions. I should have like this.

But I didn't. Oh, there were things to appreciate. Some very interesting performances, a great soundtrack, inventive (if overdone) sets, and an attempt to somehow parody itself.... but it came off.....forced. Unnatural.

Rocky Horror and even films like O Brother Where Art Thou get away with high camp because you KNOW it's camp. With Moulin Rouge you got the feeling that the actors, and far too much of the audience, were taking it seriously.

All I Can Do Is Hope Baz (and maybe EWAN!) Reads This Someday....

Author: redmimi22 from california
2 April 2005

my younger sister insisted i watch this movie. she saw it in the theater and immediately called me, said i MUST watch it, and set the date for us (and my husband) to go see it... of course, i already had every intention of watching it anyway (EWAN!!!), but now it seemed URGENT that i see it - asap. while watching it, something occurred that i had previously deemed impossible. i fell even MORE DEEPLY in love with ewan mcgregor!!! (his wife is one lucky lady!) the depth of emotion this guy has in his eyes... it's haunting! and the singing!!! kill me now!!! a truly beautiful, moving love story. brilliant job, baz. simply brilliant. not one gripe. not one. if you like love stories - if you like music - if you like gorgeous costumes and sets - if you like EWAN MCGREGOR - watch, and adore, this awesome movie.

Moulin Rouge

Author: EdwardmyLove from United States
31 March 2005

I loved this movie when I saw it on VH1 and bought it right away. After I bought it, I watched it at least 12 times(no exaggeration) and now any time someone says something that came from the movie, I finish the scene out in my mind or under my breathe! It is my all time favorite movie and I think every household(with children over the age of 13) should own a copy! Ewan McGregor became my favorite actor(and crush of all times...bigger than Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp!) and I think he played the part of Christian perfectly. Nicole Kidman nailed the part of Satine and every movie I see now with her in it, all I see is Satine. The sets were amazing and the colors were crazy, making my eyes go nuts trying to find a solid image to focus on. Again, my praise to this film and those who worked on it. Now, if you will excuse me, talking about Moulin Rouge makes me need to go and watch it again!!!!