IMDb > Swimming (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Swimming

Swimming More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A great movie about the real life.

Author: Joasia25 from New York
15 January 2002

"Swimming" is a movie different from the other movies, it's real and gentle. It's a light story about teens, about their problems, turns, the way they think and change. Lauren Ambrose was wonderful as Frankie who was trying to find a place in the world. It is a very wise movie and the director Robert J. Siegel used a light touch to tell a sensitive story about summer, frendship, youth and emotions. I enjoyed it a lot!

An amazingly honest film.

Author: joelpeter from USA
14 January 2002

Swimming is refreshing in its ability to be engaging without resorting to the usual bag of tricks: explosions, gun play, and allusions to seedy underbellies. The characters are like everyone I grew up with.

"Swimming" was as pleasurable to me as floating gently in the crystal clear warm waters of Tahiti.

Author: Royal Flush from Los Angeles, CA
14 January 2002

I recently had the pleasure of seeing `Swimming' at a film festival in Los Angeles. I believe Robert Siegel's directorial hand and creative storytelling was absolutely fabulous. I loved the journey that I was taken on as I discovered Frankie's emotional power to ultimately break the shackles that ensnared her and to find her passion for life. This movie is a winner for young and old alike. I loved this film and can't wait to see it again.

I loved this movie!

Author: annemw from Portland, Oregon
14 January 2002

The movie is beautifully paced and delicately insightful. There were a couple of small surprises. The movie establishes a strong sense of place and the soundtrack supports the story, rather than dominate it. I became very attached to several of the characters. A lovely film.

Oh, the little things...

Author: airplane_jane from New York
12 January 2002

I have to admit that it took a little while for me to get into this movie. I found myself shifting in my seat not knowing if I was willing to sit around for a while and wait for something to happen. But then there I was experiencing the little things, tiny life moments that felt just as big as whatever it is that I expect from a movie. Must be some great direction, and a good script to keep me engaged in film where the not so life changing effects of ordering a hamburger unfold and nobody saves the world. But most of all, I cared.

Exploring getting an emotional life in a gentle, wise film.

Author: gfw614 from Guymard Lake, Godeffroy, NY.
9 January 2002

Saw Swimming at a screening. It grew slowly, tossing off quirky lines and moments, letting you pick up the small sly bits if you wished. And I did. Because it is about the unfolding of actions of sleepy unprepossessing characters, it's plot, like the Myrtle Beach waves, is laid back, not intruding on its beach people. Though a genre film, it undermines the 'faked up' conventions of "coming of age" pieces. It's about getting through doubts, trying to get up the gumption to have a little bit of a life, betraying in the common way we betray friends by finding life more alive away from old tired routines, and discovering what you care about. Adult themes. The character changes are small; nothing cathartic here. Frankie, the non-groovy local working girl,(luminously played by Lauren Ambrose) makes stabs at a life with a low rent siren, Josee (Joelle Carter, subtle, sly), and Heath (Jamie Harrold, at his least threatening best) and her friend Nicola (obnoxious and moving Jennifer Dundas Lowe).The lack of self consciousness and 'self awareness' of these young characters, seems downright new, though it isn't. The 'look' of the film is lovely and unobtrusive.

Caught this little gem at a holiday preview and found it to be a delight.

Author: (Redinctoo@aol.com)
28 December 2001

I had seen Lauren Ambrose on Six Feet Under but was caught completely off guard by the quality of her work in Swimming. She turns in an incredible performance as a confused teen coming into her own in this intelligent, moving and very well made film. I'm surprised that it's not out for the holidays as it provides a refreshing change to the kind of spectacle Hollywood inundates us with. The nature of the film and its performances are subtle; and so Swimming gives it's audience the chance to really engage the film by collaborating with the actors in experiencing the fullness of the moment. The film seems breezy and light on the surface, but if you look carefully there's lots more going on in this very wise and moving film. Directed with under stated grace by Robert Siegel, I would highly recommend this film to audiences that might want to revist a common subject told in an uncommon way. It's lots of fun and will leave you wanting more. Have fun at the beach- go Swimming

Fresh, funny take on female coming of age story

Author: learle from New York
21 December 2001

With so much gross-out material on the subject out there , this is an especially refreshing take on coming of age , identity, sexuality, finding a place in the world. It's done with sensitivity and a light touch. Very charming script and performances. Lauren Ambrose is terrific. The direction is confident and understated. Saw it at a festival screening last year.

What a GREAT film !:)

Author: javead from Florida
11 December 2001

I had an opportunity to see this film in a film festival in Florida, and cannot say enough about what a great film this was. The director has done a tremendous job in relaying his message across the screen. The characters are very dynamic and three dimensional. The story line was very refreshing and the director did not commercialize this film. Hats off to a well made, enjoyable artsy film.

I never forgot this movie

Author: comradeh from Pasadena, CA. USA
3 December 2001

I have never seen a low budget movie as well shot. How did they manage the crowd scenes? The directing is perfect; so the acting; the script adds it own vision to the "comming of age theme."Also the theme of a souless girl entering the lives of all the troubled characters who endow her with thier own longings. I never forgot it. Comradeh

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]