IMDb > The Third Wheel (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Third Wheel More at IMDbPro »

Great date movie!

Author: ppeters89 from Michigan
21 March 2005

I found this movie on cable on dreary evening in winter. It was light and delightful and funny. The plot follows at a great pace, the characters are memorable, and Phil is hilarious. Call me naive, but I followed the movie at face value, not trying to guess what is going to happen next, and found it very entertaining. When you expect too much from a film like this, you are looking to watch a different movie. This is light romantic comedy at its finest. The casting was on mark and I really enjoy Ben and Matt in these minor roles where they are just having fun, I don't think they do that enough in movies anymore. Happy to see Melissa McCarthy (Sookie of Gilmore Girls) kiss Ben, and Jeff Garlin along with a really solid ensemble cast of comedic actors. Small movie, great cast, lots of fun.

A lost treasure. Don't miss this one!

Author: bababear from United States
17 April 2005

This was on The Movie Channel tonight. I'd never heard of it, but watched it because the cast looked interesting. What a pleasant surprise.

The setup has been done a million times. Shy guy gets up the nerve (after months and months) to ask Beautiful Girl out. Amazingly, she accepts.

People in the office are so amazed at this that they literally make bets and have a party where they keep track of the couple's evening. Their date takes an odd turn when they encounter a very strange homeless man who attaches himself to them and the plot gets stranger and stranger and funnier and funnier.

It has echoes of two of my favorite movies, Blake Edwards's BLIND DATE and Martin Scorcese's AFTER HOURS, but it's totally original.

I guess this was one of those movies that just literally got lost in the shuffle in the turbulent decline of Miramax Films. That's a shame. Did it ever show in theatres? I've never seen it.

The whole cast is great. Even Ben Affleck, here very comfortable in a character part. Maybe he'll have a future as a great character actor and stop making bad movies where he's leading man. There's a good cameo by Matt Damon at the end of the second act that's especially good.

Having read the comments, I know not everyone enjoyed this as much as I did. That's why the multiplex has a dozen auditoriums with different film playing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :-)

Pleasantly surprised.

Author: moviefanforlife from Los Angeles, California
8 April 2004

I just saw this movie and I really like it. It was far from perfect, but I thought the actors were really good. Denise Richards really enjoyable, Luke Wilson was fun, Ben was really funny, and Matt Damon had a good part too. The writer, Jay Lacopo, is also in it and I thought he was hysterical. I saw Waking Up In Reno which was directed by the same director and that movie was kind of cheesey. I think he's a bad director. This film is choppy, but the actors are good enough, and the script is funny enough that it makes me wonder what Miramax was thinking. With all of the terrible comedies they release you would think this one, with this star power, would have been a priority.

I can't believe how much fun this movie was

Author: TheOtherFool from The Netherlands
22 May 2004

Picture: saturday night. You're alone. Nothing to do. A rom-com just happens to be in your bag, of which your girlfriend (who's a fan of the genre) said it wasn't any good. You decide to watch it anyway and... you really, really liked it. It's what happened to me and 'The Third Wheel'.

The movie stars Luke Wilson and Denise Richards as Stanley and Diana. They're co-workers, and Stanley has had an eye out for Diana for a while (as has most of the company). One day he finally asks her out, and she agrees to go with him to a play. But they're hardly on the road, or Stanley hits homeless guy Phil with his car.

Phil (a very good Jay Lacopo, who also wrote the movie) tags along for the ride, gaining the friendship of both of our stars, and ultimately bringing them closer to each other. Watch out for the bus-scene, it's hilarious!

To go short: loads of fun in this rom-com, also starring Ben Affleck and with a cameo from Matt Damon (as you would expect) as former boyfriend of Diana. Such a nice surprise!

7/10.

Cute Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 December 2005

The clumsy and shy Stanley (Luke Wilson) is a nice fellow, beloved by his colleagues in the office. He has a crush on the gorgeous new-hire Diana (Denise Richards), but he has difficulties to get close to her. When Stanley finally invites Diana for a date, he hits the homeless Phil (Jay Lacopo) with his Taurus and his planned night turns upside down.

"The Third Wheel" is a cute movie. The screenplay has many flaws, but the charming lead couple and the situation of Stanley, with the whole office cheering for him and a stranger simply ruining his dreamed night is very sweet and funny. The story practically has no plot point, the film is far from being a masterpiece, but I liked. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Triângulo Amoroso" ("Love Triangle")

Date interrupted by a man with a glass menagerie

Author: jotix100 from New York
24 May 2005

Jordan Brady tries hard to make this comedy work. This screen play was written by Jay Locopo, who also appears in it. The film shows a director that wants to please his audience. Mr. Brady has assembled a young group of performers in "The Third Wheel", which was backed by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, who also are seen in the movie.

The nerdy Stanley finally is able to get Diana to go out with him and this serves to create the kind of curiosity his office friends are betting on. Would he succeed in making Diana see him for what he is really like, or would she be turned off by the way Stanley acts? The date turns out to be something that Stanley didn't bargain for.

As Stanley and Diana are on the way to the theater, they encounter turbulence along the way when a homeless man, Phil walks in front of the car and is hit. Phil will stay with the couple throughout the rest of the movie. At times, this homeless man can be annoying beyond words!

Take the scene when Diana and Stanley finally get to the theater for the second act of the boring play in the park. Who happens to come out on stage? Well, you guessed it: Phil! This man delivers a monologue so inane, but everyone in the place goes nuts about him. One wonders about those L.A. audiences... Hmm!

Denise Richards gives a low key performance as Diana. Luke Wilson is Stanley. Jay Locopo is seen as Phil. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon also show up in small roles.

The best thing is the last minutes when the credits are rolling. Stay for that, or better yet, fast forward to that and then go back to the beginning!

a great, underrated movie

Author: grindking from United States
20 January 2008

this movie is another one of Luke Wilson's great movies. stanley (the actor) has a great role and denise richards plays a great part as well. ben afleck plays a major part of the movie as a second element to add to the hilarity of this movie. since there are only 24-25 votes for this movie, i believe more and more people need to see this and that is why i'm writing this review, if you look at my account i have not made many comments on movies except a few. this movie is really amazing at at it's roots. there are very many elements here, subtle hints at things, foreshadowing, comedic relief, a generally positive feeling. i can't really say more about this movie other than, if you like movies like my super ex girlfriend (luke Wilson is always great), then you will literally love this movie. i recommend this to anyone.

A Fun & Original Flick!

Author: Thunderjoad from United Kingdom
24 May 2005

I watched this film as a 'wild card' it had potential due to the cast but that was about it. Or so i thought?! Ben Affleck in a executive producing role as well as co-star, Matt Damon popping up in a bit part and Luke Wilson in the main role, with the help of Denise Richards as the love interest. The premise of the film seemed okay, a date movie where everything goes wrong for the screen couple, but this time it was different! Jay Lacopo (who also wrote this story) stars as the 'third wheel' the guy who is there to create the problems for Luke Wilson and his first time date with Densie Richards. Thats where the excellence comes in the film develops in a strange but intriguing manner. Like nothing i have seen before, it keeps you hooked and by the end you will fill satisfied (Even if the end credits are kinda out there!) So all in all a good film, an intelligent look at life and love ... with a not too serious shadow! Watch and enjoy ... its easy going and has some good laughs...

very pleasant

Author: zimbo_the_donkey_boy from Calumet, Mich.
24 July 2012

I always wished to meet an angel, though I sure wondered how it'd be. And now I know. I seem to agree with a lot of people that it goes very pleasantly. I'd also like to thank Him for rock music and for summer vacations. You have to think very hard to come up with anything bad to say about this flick. What HAD you thought He'd do about the modern world? It's the 20th Century. You come away wondering WHY you hadn't seen this movie before, and this isn't a BAD feeling. I'm going to go look around the Internet and scare up more of the story on it. Denise Richards was perfect in it. They all were. Hollywood, send us more like this, please. Or have made them a decade ago and send them back.

Very fun

Author: TNC
1 July 2012

I liked this movie... it had me entertained for the full two hours, which is what a movie should do. I loved the lines, there was some very sharp comedic timing and the old boston boy sense of humor really shines through here in addition to the wit. I pretty much love anything Luke Wilson is in, and Denise Richards I have not seen before in a movie, but she was great.. very real.

I felt the movie was very creative, unique not like any other movie I have seen before... something funny at almost every turn. I don't know how I can fill ten lines of review... but if you have not seen it.. it is cute. The funniest little scene of the movie for me.. was affleck on the bike at the end.