IMDb > Passport to Paris (1999) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

More glitz and glam.

Author: ms_bunni from Canada
12 June 2005

Once again, another movie, but same plot, same things that happen, same old same old. They go to a different country where they meet new guys, see new places, and shop. It's no telling it's pretty easy to say how the movie is going to end and what happens. I really like Mk and A, I really do. I love them in fact. I think they bring this 'cute' and really cool thing to all their movies, sometimes even making their characters seem perfect. We don't fall for the things their feeling, and we don't believe their problems are actual problems. The way they solve their problems are so... clear and predictable. Maybe they should create some twist or turn? Once again, saying it is a cute movie, but to make it into a movie considered awesome? Needs more thought.

Chill out, people...

Author: Emma A. from United States
16 December 2007

A majority of the comments on here are complaining about how the movie is "dumber than a box of rocks" and stereotypical. Well, I guess the thing that people don't realize is that this is a MARY KATE AND ASHLEY MOVIE. It's sole purpose? To cash in on the whole Mary Kate and Ashley craze. And, well, it fulfills that purpose. Of course, being straight to video and aimed towards loyal fans, the movie has very low production values (they try on clothes OUTSIDE the "store" during the shopping scene and the "museum" they walk through is CGI). But this movie is actually a pretty fun one for the audience it was aiming for. I don't think an intellectual looking for a in-depth review of Paris would particularly enjoy this movie... and it beats me why they'd even pick it up.

This installment in the Mary Kate and Ashley direct-to-video movie series doesn't bring anything really new to the table. But for preteen girls interested in feeling happy, following the girls having fun in an exotic location, and viewing the cute fashions, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Seventh graders Alyson and Melissa had it all. They had the trendiest clothes, the hottest gossip, the cutest boyfriends-- but their parents believed the twins were just too wrapped up in their social life. To get them out of their small world, they decided they'd send them away to stay with their grandfather, the ambassador, in Paris, France for Spring Break. This meant that Ally and Mel weren't going to be able to attend the hottest party of the year with the two hottest boys in school, who happened to like them. Reluctantly, the girls boarded the plane and traveled from Southern California to beautiful Paris.

Their grandpa, much too busy to accompany his granddaughters in seeing France, hired a man named Jeremy to show them around. Grandpa's rules were strict; Ally and Mel were to follow an organized schedule of art museum after art museum, each and every day. The girls quickly grew bored of this, and their focus was further interrupted upon meeting two cute Parisian boys, John and Michel(sp?). They began to sneak off with these boys to see France in the way they wanted to see it: spontaneously and fun. Along the way, they also befriended renowned supermodel, Brigit (why a famous supermodel would spend her time shopping with two 12-year-olds beats me), who distracted Jeremy when they began dating.

One night, the girls returned home from a date with John and Michel in a cop car. The grandfather then forbade them from ever seeing those boys again and they had to attend a fancy dinner instead of a party where John and Michel's band would be playing. He at first seemed firm, but quickly changed his heart once he saw the boys sincerely apologizing at Aly and Mel's window. He saw how much the children truly loved each other. Grandpa apologized to his granddaughters, as he should have been spending time with them himself, but told them they still had to attend the dinner that night.

After a heated and intelligent discussion the girls presented at dinnertime, Grandpa, impressed, allowed the girls to go to their party. The night ended with the twins kissing their respective boyfriends, and Brigit and Jeremy even sharing a kiss.

The next morning, it was time for the girls to return to America. Every person they met on their journey would greatly miss them and await their next visit. The parents plan of culturing their children seemed to be a success, as they soon took up an interest of learning about different cultures and seeing the world. They even declined a fro-yo date with the boys they used to like, after seeing what jerks they were.

In the end, even though not too much learning occurred, Alyson and Melissa got to see what love was really like, and that other cultures can be really cool if you give them a chance. People criticizing this movie for encouraging girls to be shallow apparently missed the point. This trip taught the protagonists to break out of their small circle of gossip and popularity, and see the real wonders of the world.

A excellent movie

Author: joriefoy from United States
2 November 2007

I was a teenager when this movie came out and I have to say It was one of my favorites. I still enjoy the movie. I have it on VHS and my friends also like Mary-Kate and Ashley movies. I liked the movie because it was cute, funny, and I have always liked Mary-Kate and Ashley movies. They wear cute clothes and are cool. I enjoyed the music in the movie also. I can relate to them because I love shopping, going to restaurants, and boys. This is a cute film for teenage girls and a film with a rating that anyone can see. I plan on buying more of their films to add to my collection. This movie was a Xmas gift for me and my cousin also got this movie....i wonder why.......could it be that its an excellent movie? Yes.

One of their better...

Author: AngusYoungBinge from United States
15 January 2006

Everyone knows that the Olsen twin movies from 1999 and on have had one basic plot: the girls go to a touristy foreign country, meet two hot guys, kiss them a couple of times, wear great fashions, have 'exciting adventures', and then go home after a couple of weeks.

Well, this is one of their better ones.

When I was little I loved Mary - Kate and Ashley, so of course I saw this movie. Basically, two twin girls named Mel and Ally Porter go to France to stay with their grandfather with their parents hoping that they'll pick up a little culture. After the first few days the girls almost get hit by those two 'hot Perisian boys', meet a supermodel, and manage to effect the way things are going on in their grandfather's house.

While Mary - Kate and Ashley's acting is so - so, the real talent comes from the other cast members. Brocker Way is excellent as Jean, Ashley's interest throughout the movie. Yvonne Scio and Matt Winston are also funny as Brigitte (the supermodel) and Jeremy, the man assigned by their grandfather to watch the girls.

It may be stupid, but if you've got nothing better to watch on the weekend then I suggest you give it a try.

cute french boys!!!!!!!

Author: jersysprncss4eva (snowangel63087@yahoo.com) from fort wayne, indiana
5 February 2002

i thought that this was a great movie and i especially loved the two cute french boys. it was a great movie about the life of two teenage girls and their experiences with love. i would watch it again any time!!!!

Good movie for the younger Mary Kate & Ashley fans and teens.

Author: ssdude from Southeastern USA
23 January 2000

An average dialog for a pre-teen/teen movie. Nothing objectionable for younger kids who like Mary Kate and Ashley. It is good to know there are movies that don't have violence (Disney) that are entertaining too. Families can enjoy watching this movie together. Not a thinking movie, just a well done movie for the target audience.

It doesn't get too deep into lessons of life, but shows how older people can stop and remember what it is like to be young and adventurous again and enjoy life to the fullest.

"It's Just a Kids' Film" does NOT excuse it from being terrible.

Author: jabaligian
29 March 2013

I watched this with my French class. It's the week before Spring Break, and my teacher said she would have us watch a French film. I was hoping for something along the lines of "Les Miserables," but instead we got this.

So, the film starts off with two snobby, self-absorbed 13 year old girls. They use up just about every 1990s slang word within the first 10 minutes. Just as they are about to go to the dance with some boys, their parents decide to take them to Paris with their grandfather. The girls act like they have just gone bankrupt or something, they are completely depressed. Of course, this is just the start.

When they arrive to Paris, their ambassador grandfather shows them around, and brings them a fellow named Jeremy to escort them around the city of love. You have your typical scenes for a "going to France" movie...but it just makes things worse. They meet French boys, they have a terrible green-screen exploration of the Louvre, and, (later on in the film,) have a shopping spree. Once they eat dinner at the French Embassy, however, they spit out all the food at the waiter. I mean, do kids think that's funny or something? Every bloody joke in this film resulted in groaning from everyone in the classroom.

But here's the part that really gets me: the end of the film. Melanie and Ally are only in Paris for about three days, and at a party, they explain to the other ambassador why France should have clean water, and they explain the history of Paris. WHAT?!? They've only been there for two days, and suddenly they know all about the place?!? NO. But it gets worse when Melanie and Ally go give the stubborn French chef MCDONALD'S. Shows the kind of place America is. The chef ends up loving it, the grandfather has a change of heart and decides to let Melanie and Ally stay away from the boys he told them to leave, and Melanie and Ally go to the dance with the boys. Jeremy, the escort who BARELY MATTERED in this entire film, gets one of the hottest women in France.

I get that they had to keep it simple for kids. But to test it out, I got my little sister, 8 years old, to watch this and see what she thought. She thought it was terrible.

So I don't think "it's just a kids' film" will cover this film up. It is terrible. The sloppy writing, the terrible acting, the horrible music and editing, it's just an embarrassment. May God have mercy on the people who thought this was good...

Just another Olsen movie...

Author: sukapesta from p-town
10 April 2003

I've watched this movie a few times and it just gets worse every time. At first I thought this movie was... cute. I mean the twins' clothes weren't so bad. The guys are quite fortunate-looking, lousy accent aside, though I cannot understand what these seemingly normal boys see in those two self-centered, shallow, spoiled brats. Anyway the Olsen twins acted horrendously as expected. However in this Olsen movie, and, I've noticed, the ones after, BOTH of the girls are bimbos wearing too much make-up and drooling over boys. Previously one of them would have a grungier style and a clearer conscience. Like all Olsen movies, the plot is predictable and the twins managed to save themselves and in this case the rest of France. I really don't recommend watching it more than once, especially if you're not into family movies.

A good case for family planning

Author: teadm from St. Petersburg, FL
16 July 2000

Two obnoxious, spoiled rotten, trampy 13 year old twin sisters go vacationing in Paris, their impossibly "cute" adventures are the center of this G-rated puke fest, insulting everybody's intelligence (and the French) along the way. And what is Matt McCoy doing in this mess?. Parents take note: this is NOT the way your kids are supposed to be raised. Depressing.

Parisian Adventure

Author: Desertman84 from United States
17 July 2015

The Olsen Twins films a movie in France in Passport To Paris.

This involves a story about two twelve year-old twins Melanie and Allison,who visit their grandfather in Paris.Later,it led them to meet two handsome young boys and starts a romance with them.On the so-called "free time" from boys, they also tour around the city and learn to speak a few French words.

This was simply a disaster.While it is beautifully photographed at Paris,having two twelve year olds that are intensely interested in boys does not do it.With that plot alone,it simply was a disaster from beginning to end.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]