IMDb > Guest House Paradiso (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Looney Tunes on speed

Author: Mark-1384 from West Sussex, England
22 October 2004

I saw this when it first came out, and found it to be a work of some genius; but I must confess I was clearly in the minority at the time.

For me, the progressive lunacy of the proprietors of Guest House Paradiso just gets better and better throughout the film, with one of the most hilarious climaxes to a film ever.

But I wouldn't recommend it to Mother.

Lovers of gross-out comic book style humour will appreciate this movie; there are subtle jokes hidden away, but they are usually quickly flattened by a comedy frying pan. Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson are superb, and the deadpan, unsuspecting guests are also excellent.

90 minutes of brilliant depravity

Author: Alex Brown (alex_brown@blueyonder.co.uk) from Woking, England
6 December 1999

A sign of what to expect in this film came when I spotted that this was the first (and probably the last) film to have in its credits a "Vomit Technician".

In what is a couple of hours of silly gags, hilarious violence and excellent slapstick humour.

This film was just what you'd expect from the Bottom boys, and it is great to see them back in their best form after Rik Mayall's life threatening accident.

Richie (Mayall) and Eddie (Edmondson) are too similar to their Bottom characters, if we can have any criticism at all, and Edmondson does a surprisingly good job in directing the film also.

This film has already spawned the predictable comparisons to Fawlty Towers that just aren't there, and the Guest House Paradiso itself is hardly Torquay!

Watch out for some excellently crafted dialogue amongst all the violence and mayhem.

If you don't like Bottom you'll probably hate this - but I loved it.

"Candle in the eye!"

Author: Jamie Walton from London, England
26 December 1999

I've always liked to think of myself as an intelligent and sophisticated viewer of both movies and television. I've always prided myself on appreciating films with strong, uncompromising stories. I know what David Lynch is going on about, okay?

The only trouble is that, for some bizarre reason, the sight of Rik Mayall pretending to kick Adrian Edmondson in the groin (accompanied by an over the top crunching sound effect) never, ever fails to make me laugh like an idiot who's just seen an ex-Doctor Who slip over on a banana skin.

So excited was I at Richie and Eddie's leap to the celluloid fantasy of the big screen ('ere, 'ark at 'im) that I arrived an hour and five minutes early. I'd been waiting for the film ever since the first rumours about a year and a half before hand.

With such a build up, how could it leave up to my expectations? Well, I don't know, but it did.

Hysterical laughter ensued right from the off (that's right, I even laughed at the close up of Richie sleeping that starts the film) and didn't stop for, ooh, some time (half way through the ending titles, I think).

As movie sandwiches go, this one had a good spread, but had some very good chunks added to the mixture. Amongst the best were Richie's hysterical laughter/wince inducing 'Candle in the eye' and the scene with Simon Pegg's nipple ring that got a truly amazing reaction from a woman sat near me.

So, I loved it. True, not everybody finds somebody getting a fire extinguisher in the face, or getting trapped in an oven, or all of the other really painful goings on funny, but we don't talk about them.

Any problems? Well...it ended a bit suddenly. It took me a couple of seconds to realize the film was actually over. It did lack Rik and Ade's usual bitter nastiness - just look how many Bottom escapades ended with Richie and Eddie's untimely deaths.

Still, a good note to end on: It's bloody funny. No, bloody bloody funny.

Go rent it/buy it now ... NOW I TELL YOU!!

Author: flensborg82 from Denmark
26 January 2005

This is probably the funniest thing I have ever seen - from start to finish it was perfect in timing, atmosphere, punch lines, background music, fighting sequences and every other possible aspect you can think of. To be absolutely honest i find this movie as funny as their (Rik & Ade's) sitcom "Bottom" - maybe even funnier. I laughed constantly throughout the whole movie and can only recommend seeing this film... However, if you watch it without knowing (or liking?) the type of comedy Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson has done before, you might not think it's funny at all - but I REALLY can't understand those who dislike it - THIS IS HUMOUR FOLKS!!! (People getting hit with frying pans, guys running around wearing red rubber lingerie, green vomit filling the hallways, guys getting kicked in the b******s and getting candlesticks in the eyes - HOW can this NOT be funny???) 10/10

Groin-achingly funny

Author: narrator3 from Sydney, Australia
10 March 2001

While possibly the stupidest, most tasteless, and violent slapstick comedy ever made, Guest House is also a very funny one. Don't listen to the critics, they have no sense of humour. While the climax runs out of steam (but not vomit), it's still a funny party movie. Seven candles in the eye out of ten.

Not as inventive as it could have been...

Author: The_Movie_Cat from England
8 December 1999

The first time I had heard of Guest House Paridiso was in the, er... "washroom" after having just seen Fight Club. In each urinal was deposited a small, round black circle. When the circle came into contact with moisture (to put it delicately), it caused a colour picture to form, with photographs of the two stars and the tag line "You'll P*** Yourself Laughing". When you'd finished washing your hands, the circle had dried and faded to black again, waiting to spring it's surprise on the next "victim".

Okay, maybe the punchline wasn't terribly sophisticated, but you have to admit it was innovative. In fact, I think I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it in my life before, and these days of over a century of cinema and marketing, that's a real feat. What a pity the film that went with it failed to live up to the promise.

I hate to pan Guest House Paridiso and I am indebted to Rik Mayall (Richard Twat) and Adrian Edmondson (Eddie Elizabeth Ndingombaba) for many years of laughter through their appealing television series, be it the invention of The Young Ones (1982-1984), the sitting room plays of Bottom (1991-1995), or even solo work, such as Rik in the New Statesman (1988-1993). In fact, this would have made an hilarious 45 minute tv special. Unfortunately, its an 89 minute film.

There's definitely some merit to be had, and I laughed continuously throughout the protracted finale, which spoofed the Exorcist and Raiders of the Lost Ark, and involved... well, you'll have to see that bit for yourself. Yet often the pace is leaden, and a sterile atmosphere is throughout. The two stars (Edmondson taking his usual backseat, this time due to the fact that he adequately directs) never really get into first gear, Mayall only sporadically showing the foul-mouthed mania that makes us love him on the small screen. Indeed, the writers' presumption that we are already familiar with the characters leads to them being underdelivered to the audience. The slight hints of depth seen in the series (Richie's effeminate, failed social-climbing for example) are not present here, and instead we are left with parodies of parodies.

The Fawlty Towers accusation does pass water, complete with drunken chef and unseen, called-for waiter "Pasquele", which uncannily rhymes with Manuel. Some of the ideas, such a hotel next to a nuclear reactor with a childrens' swing hanging over a cliff face, are very, very funny, but ultimately the frenetic pace is stolen, the two constantly looking for a studio audience that isn't there, and all the "dead laugh" areas patched up with incidental "comedy" music that would have been dated in a Carry On film two decades ago.

Paridiso's brand of puerile, sadistic, perverse humour IS funny, and I feel sure it will make you laugh ... just not as often as it should.

Guest House Paradiso is Rik's and Ade's finest hour

Author: ian-sturrock from Bath, England
29 August 2003

Guest House Paradiso is Rik's and Ade's finest hour, given the big screen treatment it is way better than Bottom. I really do not understand why this film has such bad press is it Rik's reputation and his love hate relationship with the tabloids? The manic cartoonish violence, the bottom/toilet humour and schoolboy jokes are not everyone's cup of tea but Ade and Rik as their characters in the TV show are, are purposely absurd and unsophisticated characters, this is why internationally they are immediately recognisable and loved. Mayall and Edmondson do their best to craft a wonderfully crude film with humour that will be understood in ever country on the planet, if this is what they set out to do, to make an international popular hit, they succeeded hands down. So in my humble opinion this Guest House Paradiso is a stonking success and their finest hour.

"Laughing my ass to pieces"

Author: Nils Granberg (buffaloball@hotmail.com) from Örebro sweden
4 October 2001

Well, well, well! what can you say? Masterpiece seems to weak! perfect is not enough! Divine? perhaps. this is the best slapstick movie I have ever seen. the kitchen scene beats anything. It´s stupid, disgusting, and... totally wonderful. I worship this movie. (wonder why no one have done action figures of Richie and eddie)

Am I the only one who loved it????

Author: h_tails from Manchester
27 May 2000

I went to see it about 3 days before Xmas and lets just say it, it was a great Xmas trip!!!! Better than Fawlty Towers any day!!!!When I heard the name Mr. Twat, I killed myself laughing!! With him getting stuck in the oven with that underwear was brill but oh the chef was hilraious!! Spud Gun at his best!!! But I look around and everyone seems to hate it!!! Well youre not true Bottom fans!!! Im getting it when it comes onto video, thats for sure!!!!

An Overlooked Classic (Sort Of)

Author: Mark Hale (extravaluejotter@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
1 August 2007

"Guesthouse Paradiso" is a typical low-budget British movie. You've seen most of the cast on TV dozens of times and everything about it screams that no expense has been spent in its production. There are dozens of movies like this languishing on the shelves at BlockBusters so why pick up "Guesthouse Paradiso"?

Only because it's pretty much the last hurrah of anarchic comedy duo Adrian Edmondson and Rik Mayall, who have spent the best part of 2 decades getting laughs out of bodily functions and cartoon violence. Anyone who is a fan of their "Bottom" TV series will know just what to expect.

"Guesthouse Paradiso" is as deep and complex as a puddle of vomit but has a high content of laughs, wince-making fight scenes and stunts. Ignore the thin plot and concentrate on Mayall and Edmondson as they have a laugh and try not to injure each other too seriously.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]