IMDb > Tribulation (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Tribulation

Tribulation More at IMDbPro »

Not as bad as people have said

Author: hdm93050 from United States
31 October 2005

This movie is NOT nearly as bad as what people have said about it. I agree it is a movie made especially for Christians, and its ideas on the rapture are debatable, but beyond that its about finding God and overcoming your doubts as are the rest of the films in the series. The thing about the tree with Eileen's name on it. Its about knowing God in a very uncertain world. These films, although overtly are about the rapture and tribulation they are more subtly about knowing God and his redemption. Plus this film might be Gary Bussey's best role ever. A rare gem in the midst of a sea of B films. This film is something that I would recommend for any Christian struggling with their faith. It is not for everybody. The script was strong in places and I will agree it was a low budget production, but I would recommend it.

A Good Movie About the Apocalypse

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
21 February 2005

Detective Tom Canboro (Gary Busey) is a skeptical atheistic man, who is very close to his family. His sister Eileen (Matgot Kidder) and his wife Suzie (Sherry Miller) are Christians, his brother seems to be Christian and his brother-in-law Jason (Howie Mandel) is agnostic and quite crazy. One night, Tom is called to investigate two similar occurrences, both of them of domestic aggression and attempting to suicide, being one of them committed by Jason, who becomes totally insane. Tom realizes that something weird and unexplainable is happening, and he finds that the men of the leader Franco Macalousso (Nick Mancuso), who is indeed Lucifer, are threatening his family. Tom tries to go home to help his family, but a mysterious force controls his car and it crashes on a truck. Many years later, Tom awakes from his coma in a hospital and realizes that most of the worldwide population is now dominated by the Anti-Christ Franco Macalousso, who intends to destroy the Christians, and is marked with the number of the beast 666 on one hand. Tom tries to find what happened to his family and how to fight against Macalousso. "Tribulation" is a good movie about the Apocalypse. I noted in IMDb that it is the third part of a sequence of Christian films about the text of the Bible. The first one of this movies I saw was "Judgement", the fourth part of this series; now I have just watched the third part, which is much better than "Judgement". "Tribulation" is a good movie and the story can be understood without watching the first two parts. I liked the analogy made by Tom in the beginning of the movie, when he compares a person who speaks with aliens, with one who speaks with God. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Forças Diabólicas" ("Evil Forces")

A Spooky Potrayl of the End Times

Author: bluefire_72 from The Background
16 June 2001

Before the review, a brief plot summary: Tom Canboro is a police detective with a prankish younger brother named Calvin and a Christian older sister, Eileen. He is happily married to Suzie Quincy, sister to a strongly eccentric man named Jason Quincy, who has read Franco Macalousso's book "Babel Becomes One" and believes that, if the world is united, whatever we believe we can achieve. However, one night when Tom answers a domestic violence call, Jason and Professor Tim Tucker both attack a Christian calling them a "Hater" then both dive out the window, possesed by demons. When Tom learns of this, a mysterious force takes control of his car, smashes it into a truck, and sends him into a coma. When he awakens years later, he finds that 95% of the world wears the mark of 666 on their right hand, Macalousso now rules the earth, millions of people (including Eileen) have simply vanished without a trace and everyone with the mark can't remember theu ever existed, and his wife is a member of Christians know now as Haters being hunted down by the police force called ONE.

Well, as you can see the plot is rather complex. Sequel to "Apocalypse" and "Revelation", it again features Leigh Lewis as Hater Leader Helen Hannah, Patrick Gallangher as Jake Goss, and Marium Carvell as Selma Davis. Sherry Miller plays Suzie Canboro, and Howie Mandel appears as Jason Quincy. Margot Kidder, famous for playing Lois Lane in the Superman movies, plays Eileen Canboro, while Joseph Ziegler stars as Calvin Canboro. Rothaford Gray has a cameo, again playing Ronny Spalding, the Hater spy who infiltrated One Nation Earth in "Revelation". Nick Mancuso again acts as Franco Macalousso. And the sinister Lawrence Bayne, who has appeared on "La Femme Nikita", "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" and "The Famous Jett Jackson", plays the evil false prophet Zack Probert, who hunts Tom down throughout the movie.

This film may be a sequel, but all the films made by Peter and Paul Lalonde really aren't connected. Yes, they have the same characters and each film takes place some months after the last one, but they are really a collection of theories of what the rise of AntiChrist may be like. In this, Franco Macalousso shows to the world that he is Lucifer, who discovered that everyone has the power of God, which is why he was thrown out of Heaven. So, a night is upcoming where the world will join together mentally to battle God.

The film potrays intense suspense, as Tom narrowly avoids being arrested by Probert and his agents while struggling to find the truth. The scene with Macalousso and Helen in the Day of Wonders is spine chilling and so good, it deserves to be ripped off (because good films are always ripped off by lesser films).

However, there is one thing not to be taken seriously, because if it is, it could give a wrong impression. The Tower of Babel is used by AntiChrist as an example of how mankind can come together, Genisis 11:6, mainly. While he could, it is not what the Tribulation period will revolve around. Athiests may believe this as being the truth.

With that in mind, this film is highly recomended.

Tribulation is the best out of the 4

Author: whirlwind213 from United States
24 July 2009

I loved this movie. The caring and the love these people shared with each other made me a little emotional. Gary Busey was great as the unbelieving cop/brother/husband, Margot Kidder played Eileen very believable, and I just adored Howie Mandell as Jason. Howie played the clingy little brother to the hilt. The rest of the cast was wonderful as usual.

Eileen's relationship with her little brothers hit home with me. It was so warm and loving. I watch it several times per week. I loved the acting and the actors. They were well chosen and I was hoping they would be used in a 5th installment. I have no name for it, but Lucifer has to get his in the end and I want to really see it happen.

Entertaining

Author: Forever Damned from Manchester, England
16 June 2002

As a movie this one is generally pretty good. Decent production values and an interesting story (it is based on the oldest book). As a non-practising believer I think it gives you plenty to think about.

The only downside is the occasional religous fervour that we British are not really used to.

One of the Better "Christian Apocalypse" Movies

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
22 January 2014

This is the third film in a series following the movies "Apocalypse" and "Revelation". It essentially starts off prior to the first movie ("Apocalypse") with "the Rapture" yet to occur and involves a family arguing over religious ideology. "Tom Canboro" (Gary Busey) is a police detective who doesn't believe in God. His sister "Eileen Canboro" (Margot Kidder) is a devout Christian who tries to convince him and the other members of the family to open their hearts and minds and listen to the gospel. None of them want anything to do with it. Then one night Tom is seriously injured in a car accident and goes into a lengthy coma. When he awakens the Christians have vanished and people every where are being forced to accept the "Mark of the Beast" or face death. It's at this point that the movie follows the second film "Revelation" with "Helen Hannah" (Leigh Lewis) leading a small group of Christians trying to disseminate the truth of the gospel and counter the lies of the anti-Christ, "Franco Macalousso" (Nick Mancuso). With her is Tom's wife, "Suzie Canboro" (Sherry Miller) who has no idea that Tom has awakened from his coma. At any rate, rather than disclose the rest of the story and possibly ruin the film for those who haven't seen it I will just say that this is one of the better "Christian Apocalypse" movies out there. Frankly, I think it would be better for most viewers to watch the first two films first to understand some of the things that have gone on prior to this one. For example, this movie features an event called "the Day of Wonders" which was first presented in "Revelation" and might cause some confusion to viewers who don't understand the significance of it. That said I should also mention that there is some science-fiction added along with some mysticism which adds to the entertainment value but might diminish the scriptural meaning for some viewers. Be that as it may, this movie has good acting and is well-directed and I recommend it for those who might enjoy a film of this type. Above average.

Character-driven and a good story to boot

Author: meredithdevoe from United States
10 May 2013

There is nothing I enjoy more in a film than watching a good actor at work. I saw this movie years ago and recently watched it again and the same thing impresses me-- Gary Busey's performance as Tom Canboro. There is one line he says, with a gun in his face: "If you came to change my mind, you're too late" and he smiles in this amazing way. If you like character-driven stories (rather than pretty faces and special effects) you will enjoy this film.

Teens I watched the film with really responded to Nick Mancuso as the Antichrist, found him very creepy! It's good casting all around, actually; yet the message is not overshadowed by star-power (kudos to Busey for that).

This is a Christian film with a Christian message, delivered without a heavy hand; and the main character's spiritual process is 100% believable.

Big step forward in Christian Film making

Author: speedadict from US
21 April 2000

I thought this movie was a huge step foward for Christian film makers. This is one you can actually watch with your non-christian friends and not be ashamed of. The film is not wishy washy and portrays evil and violence without overly downplaying the realities of what the last days will be like. Skip the Omega Code and see this instead!

Jesus loves Cloud 10 Productions

Author: Helmholtz Watson (helmholtzwatson@hotmail.com)
20 June 2001

The lord works in mysterious ways. Such cannot be denied when one considers his latest work, "Tribulation".

Why, oh Lord, doest thou have Margot Kidder, she who was found drunk on the side of a Los Angeles highway eating her own hair, preach thy good works? Why, oh lord, hath thou chosen Gary Busey, whose coked-up corpulance once protested motorcycle helmets. Whast Christopher Walken unavailable?

And, why, oh why my Lord, have you charged Howie Mandel with this task? He, who once drove my pure heart to murderous thoughts with his works?

Oh, Lord... thank goodness that you speak so vividly through Cloud 10 Pictures. It would shatter my faith completely if this company was just a bunch of opportunistic hacks who were seeking to profit off of the growing Christian demographic of the midwest.

A waste of plot potential

Author: rwvikings from Australia
1 May 2011

This is a truly awful movie from the bland acting to the by-the-numbers script. It picked an apocalyptic theme from the bible and turned it into a preach fest. For those who think this is a good film, I can only say you truly have treat when you see a film that has more than the actor and nondescript background in shot. A good film evokes emotion from both sight and sound and lets good actors say so much without a word. Furthmore it takes the viewer on a journey with twists and turns leaving them gasping for the next scene. This was meant to be an escape into a biblical fantasy but forgets that for the fantasy genre, a cardinal rule must be kept that has been lost: "engage the viewer with the central character or characters and take them from a recognised reality to the world they seek to create with every scene and word. By pressing the "believe or perish" message it fails to do either. Furthermore there is no mystery in the story. There are no sub-plots. Potential for such was hamfistedly wasted. All in a all a bitter disappointment given its potential.