IMDb > The Last Producer (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Last Producer More at IMDbPro »

Should have been a whole lot better...

Author: haythalk from United Kingdom
26 July 2007

I thought this movie might continue the temporary resurgence of Burt after Boogie Nights but once again showed his achiles heel...he just makes bad choices! The script needed a lot of work, the number of characters needed to be cut down, that stupid soundtrack needed to have been trimmed drastically and there was no real directing in the movie...is it comedy..is it a drama..is it a thriller?! Burts performance is quite good - he always manages to be OK even in garbage - but his bad plastic surgery does not help here. Overall, this is a mess of a movie. I tend to enjoy Burt Reynolds movies but his recent decisions have not been good. His plastic surgery has ensured he won't get cast for any serious roles and he has now just ended up in cameo roles. It's a shame really, as he is a far better actor than people give him credit for and someone with genuine screen prescence.

No script revision?!?

Author: Chris Winston from Fairbanks, U.S. Territory of Alaska
1 March 2001

Hmmm.... a good attempt that fell short. I'm wondering why this script was shot as is without further revision. Burt did good in directing, I liked his character, but there was too much going on to make the central storyline work. Ann-Margret's character didn't need to be there! Lauren Holly's character served very little purpose, as well. Charles Durning obviously got the job 'cause he's a friend of Mr. Reynolds but but but there was no point in him being there, either. Gary Germann was the highlite; his subtle humor and role in getting funding should have had more scenes. Rod Steiger's role could have been better, also! Just a shame, a terrible shame 'cause with this cast, a rewrite or two and this could have been a better movie! Oh well.

I liked it

Author: rafinnerty from United Kingdom
10 January 2009

I think that the movie suffered from lack of distribution and poor packaging.

I had seen it in Blockbuster for about a year before I finally decided to rent it. The packaging was just so low budget that it put me off.

However, I really enjoyed the story. It's low-key, sure, but it's a good tale and I liked that the ending wasn't Hollywood-style syrup. The acting was good, too.

Burt has, of course, been in some poor movies, but so has Michael Caine, Bruce Willis, Sean Connery... ALL actors have and it doesn't mean anything with regard to the next one they make!

I liked this movie more than Boogie Nights and would watch it again.

Not the best movie but not the worst either.

Author: dona000 from Tennesse, United States
9 November 2002

I saw this on video last night. It has the feel of a made for TV movie, maybe like an old Rockford show. Once you get over the obvious face lift on Burt Reynolds, you begin to like his character Sonny Wexler. Sonny was making movies back in the glory days of Hollywood. He is now a has been. But he has fallen on a great script. He has friends at the studio who want to help him make the movie but they aren't in charge, they are sort of has-beens too. Benjamin Bratt plays Mr. Black,a real S.O.B. who is now in charge. Sonny used to know the guy in charge but he has retired. We follow Sonny as he tries to come up with the money that is required to give to Mr. Black by the deadline of Friday at 5 p.m. I think Burt Reynolds plays Sonny Wexler really well. He is a loveable has been. Benjamin Bratt (the reason I was watching it. I am a Huge Bratt fan)is the jerky, mean, powerful, egotistical creep,"Mr. Black". Ben is handsome in this movie as always but he is so slick and slimy, just what the character should be. His is a supporting role. Most of the other characters are loveable but odd people. Ann Margaret is Sonny's wife. Rod Steiger is a tough guy. Sean Austin is the person who wrote the movie they are trying to get made. At first I thought "Hey, he is a dork. How could he write a great script." But he is very believable as a writer as the movie progresses. Charles Durning is Sonny's old friend, who can't help him. Overall it moves slowly but I would watch it at least once.

If you do, pay attention to how well the acting is done. I think they make it look so easy that you could think that they aren't really acting but just having a good time. But good actors make it look easy, don't they?

Reynolds so wrong.

Author: -757
7 February 2001

Burt Reynolds was so wrong in this part. We are supposed to believe he is an over the hill producer but his "plastic surgery" leads us to believe he is in much better shape.

Would have been a good story with the right direction and cast.

High-class cast in dreary, no-class script. 'Nuff said!

Author: 8-Foot from Montgomery Village, Maryland
8 February 2001

In search of funding to purchase a dynamite script before his option runs out, Burt Reynolds' has-been title character goes through the movie begging, wheedling, and trying to consummate a deal with various devils.

Never mind the plot. Though there is a race against time, it certainly doesn't feel that way. What is served up is a large Hollywood A-team cast as a bunch of unlovable and largely colorless characters that are pathetic losers, bimbos, or professional crooks or that have it in for anyone over 35. Rod Steiger makes his character, who annoys everyone by speaking in platitudes, into the least uninteresting of the bunch.

"Last Producer" doesn't deserve this many words and certainly not your time.

Don't bother, rent "Get Shorty" instead.

Author: yogi7980 from Oregon
16 November 2002

Quite possibly the worst film i've ever seen (along with speed 2, and blair witch project 2) (no i don't make it a habit of watching bad films i just watch a lot of films in general), the thing about this is it never gets started, it goes around in circles, so it is basically a [broken down]vehicle for burt reynolds who played the lead and directed it. Also the video case had the nerve to compare it to "Get Shorty" which is just down right disgracefull, as "Get Shorty" is infinatley better than this offering.

Not the best Reynolds film ever, but still good.

Author: Tonci Pivac from New Zealand
5 March 2003

To me, If its got Burt Reynolds its a good movie, this wasent the best ive ever seen but its still a film that I would recommend you watch.

It had great actors like Louren Holly, Benjamin Bratt, Rod Steiger, Ann Magret, Charles Durning, And Burt Reynolds.

Watch this film if your just looking for a good Burt Reynolds Movie.

this is the 'last' time I watch a Burt Reynolds movie!

Author: Christopher Smith
12 October 2001

THE LAST PRODUCER is just one of the many bad movies Burt Reynolds has made. It seems like for every one good movie he makes, he makes five bad ones. Even though most Burt Reynolds' movies are bad, he does give nice performances in them. Here, he gives a nice performance, but it's his directing that really makes this one unwatchable. Many scenes run way too long, the story only stays interesting for a little while, and the great cast is wasted over material like this.

Hmmmm......

Author: Michael Cover (Burt_Reynolds_fan) from Baltimore, MD
20 February 2001

Maybe 2000 wasn't the best year for Burt. A good try, but a very stupid script holds him back once again. The script was dumb!!!! Plus, who wrote the screenplay? But give Burt & the gang credit; they gave this movie heart, but it just didn't work out that way. A great supporting cast just fell a tad short. Hopefully this made-for-cable movie will give Burt some more exposure, & a chance to make that 'great' movie again. He's a great actor, so hopefully he'll have success in "Driven" & "Tempted" this year. Personally, I wish he'd do another good-ol-boy movie like "White Lightning" & "W.W & The Dixie Dancekings".