IMDb > The Shrink Is In (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Shrink Is In More at IMDbPro »

Enjoyable

Author: cherry_daze from England
4 August 2004

I accidentally taped this film on Channel 4, instead of taping something else. Seeing that it had Courtney Cox and David Arquette, i decided to watch it.

It was a Wednesday afternoon and my decision came after the evaluation that there was little else to be done. So, I sat down, and expected to cringe at yet another hideously horrible film. I mean, what else is shown at 1am?

But, i was pleasantly surprised. OK, so the film doesn't really break any rules, and it's hardly the equivalent of _____________ (insert favourite film) but it was very enjoyable.

It had its share of laughs and though a bit predictable, it certainly was worth watching. And it was certainly in a higher league than some of the romantic movies out today! (A recent example being "Along Came Polly", a real disappointment)

If you're stuck for something to watch and just want to relax, this is the film for you. No thinking required. Just an hour or so of fun.

This movie made me laugh out loud.

Author: JBesman from New York, New York
21 August 2001

This movie is a rare combination of satire, slapstick, romantic and caper comedy. It is a satire about emotional illness and therapy practice. Courtney Cox and David Arquette are very winning as the high strung, edgy potential couple and Carol Kane is wonderful in her original rendition of the Psychologist/therapist. Arquette and Cox are extremely funny and touching and wacky-excellent physical comedians. Besides the wonderful performances, the original intelligent script and deft direction moves the action and there is never a dull moment. The other members of the cast are well chosen and believable.

Shrink your list of commitments today and make time for this funny and romantic little film

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
6 August 2007

Samantha (Courteney Cox) is a Los Angeles travel writer that jets off to faraway places a good deal of the time. One day, as her fiancé taxies her to the airport, he also informs her that he is unhappy with their relationship and is taking a job in New York City. Samantha boards the plane but breaks the law when she makes an emergency exit from the near-takeoff ready aircraft. Understandably, she ends up in therapy with a kind counselor (Carol Kane). Yet, one day the legitimate shrink has a breakdown and Samantha is the only one who can take her to the hospital and, subsequently, cancel the doctor's appointments for the next few weeks. Lo and behold, Samantha's attractive, new, and decidedly married neighbor, Michael, arrives for his first session and Sam decides to "pose" as the counselor. She does this to get to closer to him, having witnessed problems between him and his French, Victoria's Secret-model wife. Also arriving in the building is a magazine salesman named Henry (David Arquette) whose business caters to physicians. He strikes up a friendship with Sam, also. But, will it be a case of Henry likes Samantha, Samantha likes Michael, and Michael cares only for himself? And, when will the truth surface? This is a fun-filled film with charming performers and a clever plot. Cox and Arquette, married in real life, make the most of their sly roles and Kane is terrific as the on-the-edge counselor. The other cast mates are gorgeous and talented, too. All of a movie's assets, from sets to costumes to direction, are quite fine as well. If you love your romcoms, don't miss out on a showing of this film! Instead, shrink your daily to-do list, run to the video store or library, and get your mitts around this comic tale of love.

Fun romantic comedy to brighten up the day

Author: mc-jens (musicfan@gmx.de) from Ornskoldsvik, Sweden
24 June 2004

When I saw this in the TV-guide I read who starred in the movie and found Courtney Cox - one of my fave actresses. Then I read what it was about and it sounded pretty funny, so I decided to watch it. Boy was I not disappointed! This week I've seen quite a lot of bad movies so this saved my week. It's a movie about a woman who goes to therapy who gets to be the therapist by accident. Ok the script isn't the most original perhaps, but you don't have to take this movie so seriously :) All in all it's about thinking over what is important in a relationship and using your heart to find the right one in life. It's not the best movie ever, but it's good enough to make your day a little better and giving you a warm smile after seeing it :) So for those who like romantic comedies I highly recommend it. For those wanting a good script with a very likely story you are better off without it ;) Personally I am kinda in love with Courtney (boy those eyes and hair !!) so it was worth watching it just for that :)

An Incredibly Fun Movie

Author: Kelv-1
14 November 2002

To me, 'The Shrink Is In' represented everything a flop had to offer. A newly wed couple doing a film together, a film that sits on the shelf for a couple of years then finding a copy of it at my local blockbuster. Surprisingly, it's a really great film worthy of repeat viewings. Everyone works hard in their roles and bring their all to it and it works! If it was released in cinemas, it could be a hugely succesful romantic comedy, I think. It has all the right ingredients too: A succesful TV star giving a great performance, her less known husband exceeding in his excellent role in every scene he's in, a strong suppoerting cast of unkown names but recognisable faces including Carol Kane, David James Elliot, Kimberley Davies and Viola Davis. The script and direction are impressive also, although both could have been improved on a little. I also felt that a lot was cut out of the script leaving a lot of loose ends to be tied. To be honest, I don't think you need a plot when the film itself is so much fun but, for those who care, the film is about Samantha (Courteney Cox), a good hearted girl who's been afraid of everything from elevators to crowded places after she was dumped by her boyfriend. When her shrink collapses, she privately takes up her jobonly to find herself getting romantically involved with a shy magazine salesman, Henry (David Arquette) while at the sametime being wooed by her neighbor who's in a relationship with french stoner bimbo who likes to be taken behind "like a farm animal". Not only that, but she's also illegally impersonating her shrink, something she knows won't end up good. Even more so when the real shrink, Dr. Rosenberg (Carol Kane) is starting to rehabilitate. This film is nothing but a good natured fun romp through this woman's romantic life and whileit may be predictable at times, it's just fun! All the actors seem to be having fun which keeps the film on a good tone throughout, excellent for repeat viewings. One great blink ands you miss it performance is Carol Kane as the shrink, especially in her breakdown scenes. The directing by Richard Benjamin works quite well even if he makes the occasional blunder here and there. The script is very enjoyable, but like I said I definitely think the film had a lot of stuff cut. Hopefully, when the filmmakers and public realise that a really great film is stuck nowhere, they will give it a special edition, with the deleted scenes.

What?!?!?!

Author: joby-3 from Texas
31 July 2002

Courtney Cox, Carol Kane and David Arquette were all victims of a badly written movie. They shouldn't get Oscar credit but they definitely made the best out of a bad situation. The virgin writers still have a lot of work to do.

This movie was a canned romance. "Loser" woman assumes role of attractive professional to get the guy who's "unavailable" either through another relationship or because he would normally be out of the woman's league, all the while ignoring the supposed "loser" who is in love with her. She finally sees the light and the "loser" turns out to be a great guy and much more perfect than the person she was chasing to begin with.

How many times has that been done? There is a reason this movie didn't release to US theaters; The revenues would not have been substantial enough to cover the release costs. There's also a reason its only on Oxygen. Its awful. It even ends with a beach scene with the two "losers" together!!! Sweep Sundance and Cannes? You gotta be kidding me. Release in North America is no prerequisite to being selected for Cannes or Sundance. The only prerequisite is that there is some talent displayed. It has to hit on all fronts to be considered and this one only hit because the three stars were passable against almost insurmountable odds. Those odds being the script.

The Shrink is in, chemistry abounds!

Author: Michael (Barnabasat45) from New Market, Maryland
23 July 2005

It is amazing to me how many higher budget films are released with such an amount of hoopla, about nothing. It seems that critics have their favorite actors and whatever they are in, somehow makes the project they are reviewing great. The Shrink is in is a funny and sweet fantasy in which Courteney and David play parts which sum up their relationship. That is: Different, funny and loving. The plot, although not altogether plausible, works well because of the chemistry between the actors and the fast paced directing. Film budgets do not break or make a film. The Shrink is in is proof of that. "You've Got Mail" did not have anything over this film except a large studio budget. God bless the Indies.

light, bright entertainment

Author: san_oh from Canada
28 January 2002

The movie works. It's more witty than outragously funny. But it's pretty good escapist fare for those who seek a little wacky romance. Cox has pretty good comic timing (but we already knew this) and Arquette seems pretty likable (forget Ready to Rumble). There's a pretty decent supporting cast that have surprising comic talents.

Check it out for yourself.

Falling In Love Can Make You Crazy.

Author: the_inferno from England
22 March 2001

It's a very amusing movie,totally a must see,it has a good combination between Comedy and Romance..and...Courteney Cox is fantastic (again).Her husband (David Arquette)is playing the role of the boy (Henry) that has fallen in love for Samantha.:)

Fireworks guaranteed! =)

Charming but thin chick flick

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
20 August 2006

An easy-going, boil-in-the-bag romcom. It relies a little too much on slapstick to fill out its 90 mins but, given its simple plot it's got enough wit and clean charm to make a go of it.

I've always been a Courtney Cox fan and she definitely gives us something in addition to regurgitating Monica Gellerisms. David Arquette is a sweet, chubby version of Adam Sandler. This slightly off-kilter duo, a real life couple, have a first-class straight 'guy' in Viola Davis (one of the better coloured actresses in Hollywood, doing the day job stoically).

There's nothing to it but it's not too sickly for a wet afternoon on the sofa. 3/10