IMDb > "Roswell" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Roswell"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Roswell" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of the Best TV series, so buy it on DVD

Author: DarkTimes from upstate NY
23 June 2004

This show was one of the best on television and always struggled to stay on the air and that is crazy although not surprising. Unique shows like this do not fair well on television. It lasted 3 seasons and this first season was one of the greatest first seasons that any show could ever produce. People might have been turned off by too much sci-fi or romance, but i thought they did a great job of balancing the two and it is a shame not enough people watched this show. The chemistry between Behr and Appleby and Fehr and Delfino was just great. They are all great actors. The romeo and juliet aspect of the show was very unique and rare for this age of TV. I first saw this show in 99 i was 17 and could relate to the characters very well, alien part aside. This show can be enjoyed by people of any age or gender. I highly recommend buying this show on DVD even if you never seen it before its well worth it. People afraid of the sci-fi part should know the aliens are just like humans no green skin or big eyes. They just simply can do things normal humans cant. The first episode Max (behr) heals Liz (appleby) after she is shot and their lives are changed forever. They both fall in love from their and their problems also start because now the sheriff and FBI start to suspect something isn't right about Max.The alien part of the show is what causes a lot of problems that are impossible to have on other teenage dramas, which is why its unique. Katims who is the creator behind the show is just a genius. So again I highly recommend this DVD set. The second and third seasons will be out soon enough.

One of the few shows worth watching

Author: obiwan-27 from New England
15 December 1999

This is the only show besides X-Files currently on TV that I make a point to see. I'm 27, so probably not in the target audience (I am assuming, since they show it after Dawson's Creek!), but I LOVE THIS SHOW! Unfortunately, I can't get anyone else I know to watch it, because when I say it's about teenaged aliens people give me the "Yeah right" look.

The acting on this show is really impressive, especially considering the age of the young actors. The writing is terrific, almost X-Files quality. And the chemistry between the Max and Liz characters... Yikes!! It's amazing to find that depth of emotion in a so-called "teen drama." Another thing I like about this show is that the plot actually moves and is *gasp* consistent. I am hoping Roswell stays on the air for a good long time, especially since X-Files is going kaput after this season!

To boldly go...

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
8 October 1999

This interesting story of extraterrestrial alienation is a fascinating metaphor of teen angst -- a topic that has often been treated in movies and on TV, but here it is offered with new and insightful perspective.

The show is a way to symbolize common human fears in an imaginative parable. Issues that are woven into the story line include not knowing who you are, the experience of being a foster child, keeping secrets from parents and other authority figures, the danger of making close personal connections with others, and the isolation of being in or from one's own strange world.

ROSWELL is a clever idea with a fresh, interesting young cast. The show is an imaginative cross between, on the one hand, THE X-FILES and THE FUGITIVE, and, on the other, the odd perspective of ALF and THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN. This is an excellent show in a time when too many shows are carbon-copies or silly assembly-line junk. I give the show an A+.

Ok, so I was wrong, zap me!

Author: tprofumo from Los Angeles
25 November 2000

I once heard that when "Bonnie and Clyde" was first released, the reviewer for Newsweek savaged the film. Then, a week later, he saw it again and wrote a new review saying it was one of the landmark films of its era.

So, ok, I can be wrong, too. I was a Roswell fan from the start, but feared they were heading off in a very wrong direction in year two of this show, concentrating too much on sci-fi and action at the expense of what made the show great in the first place, characterization.

It turns out, none of my dire predictions have come true. The show has featured more sci fi action and a lot less about life in high school. But both of those moves have proved well advised and neither has hurt the show's quality.

Roswell continues to be a show about characterization. We have actually seen the characters taken to new places in this second season and I salute the writers/producers, directors and the cast for being able to do this.

Special praise should also go to the show's young actors and actresses. This season the talented Katherine Heigl, who plays Isabel, has been given some break out episodes and she has not wasted a single "moment." Her performance in the most recent episode, playing a duel role of both a good and bad version of Isabel, was absolutely brilliant. She may have lifted a little of her "bad girl" mannerisms from Angelina Jolie, but she's not a bad person to steal from since she has rather perfected the tough girl personna.

And of course, Shiri Appleby continues to astound, delivering some almost heart breaking performances as the girl dumping the guy she loves for his own good.

But again, hats off to the writers and producers for coming up with some very strong story lines, and even some cleaver tricks, like the "Summer of '47," episode and the current two-part episode featuring the four "evil" alien duplicates. Giving talented young actors the chance to play different roles on the same show is a master stroke which keeps it interesting.

Well done one and all!

It depicts raw human emotion better than anyother

Author: impatientdreamer02 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
18 February 2001

I never make plans on monday nights. Roswell is one of the top shows on television today... or any other day. It's excellent if not a little unlikely. the character chemistry is perfect. The only thing i would change, is the amount of romance. I'd definitly get more serious into the sci-fi, and give kyle(Nick Wechsler) and alex (Colin Hanks) more screentime. They keep the show from getting to serious... with just the right amount of confusion, they give us comic relief. And their chacters are a fresh change from Max's "Whoa is me" self-pity

One Great Ride!

Author: moviefan2k4 from United States
26 February 2004

My sister got me hooked on "Roswell" at the beginning, but I kept watching because it was such a fantastic show! The episodes are wonderful, I love the music, and the storylines were incredible (even the often-dreaded Season 3, which I actually liked). I identified most with Max because he had been an outsider all his life, and had been in love with one woman but never had the courge to tell her (I felt like that a lot of the time). All the actors were wonderful, but I wish they hadn't made some of the decisions for Season 2 that they had. Well, I might as well list my favorite episodes, so here goes:

Season 1: Pilot, Leaving Normal, Blood Brother, The Toy House, Max to the Max.

Season 2: Skin & Bones, A Roswell Christmas Carol, Heart of Mine, The Departure

Season 3: Who Died & Made You King?, Graduation

Roswell is - love in midst of mystery, trust in midst of fear and belief in midst of heresy.

Author: ziffer szmaza (sugardiemen@hotmail.com) from South-East Asia
28 November 2001

Roswell- mystery, enigma. There is some thing in Roswell that I can't put my finger on. And it is this that makes Roswell so very special. And suddenly - I believe in aliens. Whenever I see any of the episodes I feel as if everything is happening around me, as if I am one with the show. The characters of Roswell would stand out among a million others. Max, Michael, Isabelle, Liz and Maria - bonded by a secret. Max - so calm, so composed. Liz - unsure, disturbed yet optimistic. Michael- wild, impulsive. Isabel- though haughty yet with a faint touch of meekness. Maria- unsteady, 'on the edge' but true. Liz and Max, when together, depict everything beautiful in this world. The chemistry between them is so wonderful that it could make anyone wish to fall in love (all over again). The words spoken between them make time stand still, and make me feel like I'm the only audience to the most beautiful thing of the world. They, like, share an unspoken promise that, no matter what, they'd forever stand by each other. This is what that makes their relationship so special. It is a special relationship between special people The rest of the cast too carve a niche for themselves and make themselves felt against so strong a principal cast. And just to think I never knew about a place called Roswell, somewhere far away, where a secret will forever lay buried.

P.S: At home, the first season of Roswell started this October (2001). And I am writing a review after having seen just six episodes.

Good Show

Author: Kym (ymmykay) from USA
15 February 2004

I think the show is really good, but was a downer because I came into it on the Third Season after reading the books. Even though the third season was a let down, I saw the first and second season on Sci-Fi, and they were great. I guess you have to have an active imagination to watch it. The show was great because not only did they have the right amount of Science Fiction, there was some good comedy in it. Definitely going to buy the DVD.

One of the best TV shows.

Author: cineasten89 from Sweden
25 May 2005

I have to admit I boycotted Roswell when it first aired on TV. I was just not interested. I had just started to watch Buffy and thought Roswell would be kind of a copying show. But hey, I was wrong. I didn't hesitate to buy the DVD and I am happy I did, because those lazy nights are great to be spent with such a TV show like this.

This is filled with all good stuff and good characters. Valenti, whom is supposed to be the bad but instead is fun and great. Kyle, whom is hilarious but it was first by the episode when he and Max were drunk that got me to like him. Max, because he is the guy in my dreams. Good-looking, blue-eyed, shy, quiet, thoughtful and wise - and most of all - sexy to women. Michael, because he is the ordinary rebel who actually is very intelligent and kind in his gold heart, but is rebel because of his parent situation. He feels lost in his world. Isabel, because she is always lovely and says smart lines and is very intelligent. Maria, who is the one who helps whoever whenever needs to be. Liz, who is very faithful and believes the best of other people. Alex, who is the ordinary nerd guy who falls in love with Isabel, very different his personality.

In some way I am more drawn to this than Buffy, The X files and other science fiction TV shows, as this finished after only three seasons. Smart done by the producers, I think, because it would have lost its charm after the third season. And it is the more reason to keep this in mind, when everything has just been great. And the more reason to re watch the three seasons when you haven't something to do or when it is bad TV shows airing on TV... Just re watch this and enjoy your memories.. I will for sure never be tired of this TV show.

Evertything starts with Liz being shot. Max heals her with his alien power, but after that their lives, and the others's, change forever. Things went weird. The secret has to be told. And so starts the hunt for the truth...

This is not too much romance. Not either too much science fiction. It is just an ordinary TV show, except from the fact that it is about three aliens and three humans in the center. They are looking for the truth of the three aliens's past and origin - why they came to Earth and how they can come back there. But before they are able to do, they fall in love with each other. Max in Liz, Michael in Maria and Alex in Isabel. They have to handle everyday troubles - love troubles, friend troubles, parent troubles, alien troubles and so on. But the most problem they are handling every day - to keep their secret from the world outside... FBI must not know their secret. Neither must their adopted parents.

The chemistry between Behr and Appleby and Fehr and Delfino was just great. The chemistry between Colin Hanks and Heigl was also good, but they were not such in love as Max/Liz and Michael/Maria were, and anyway Colin Hanks dropped off this TV show after his character Alex Whitman's death in the 2nd season.

It is unusual for such a TV show to have great actors, but this have.

First watching this TV show when I was 14-turning-to-be-15, I am happy I didn't check out this when I was ten. If I did, it had been difficult to relate to the characters and the story, alien part aside.

In fact, I am absolutely sure this can be enjoyed of people of all ages, as it is kinda of a teen story with "moralic aspects", which turns to label this TV show not only as a "sci fi romantic teen drama" but also a "family TV show".

Not perfect, but entertaining

Author: LifeIs JustLikeThat from Germany
6 January 2008

"Roswell" is probably not one of the few shows that really sticks with you. It's not "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", it's not "Six Feet Under" or "Dead Like Me". It's not groundbreaking or brilliant, but it's a very nicely entertaining show with a heart.

While a little bit silly sometimes when it comes to both, relationship and sci-fi-elements, the strength of the show definitely lies in the more grounded relationship-story lines which dominated the show in its first season. Back in the first season, the writers also included a nice storyarc that was very well executed in terms of just revealing a little bit, but enough to make it interesting and suspenseful. (the whole Nasedo/FBI-storyarc) Unfortunately the show was always a show that was on the bubble and since the network wanted the show to be more successful than it was, they insisted on extending the fantasy/sci-fi/action-elements of the show, since "Buffy" and "Angel" were a huge success for them back then. While "Buffy" and "Angel" are definitely superior to "Roswell" and brilliant (although not with every single episode), that's what ultimately led to "Roswell"'s demise since that simply wasn't the show that "Roswell" was and since the writers didn't really succeed at making the sci-fi-elements post season one work. Most of the time, the sci-fi-elements were a huge weakness of the show. Sometimes very silly and not really thought through, they hurt the show more than they helped her. Obviously you can still watch the show and enjoy the sci-fi-elements in season two and three, but only if you switch your brain off and don't think about them.

The characters on the show and their relationships to each other are the heart of the show. At developing these characters and letting them grow over a couple of seasons, the writers of "Roswell" succeeded and were even better than writers of shows that air these days.

The cast of the show is topnotch. Behr and Appelby deliver stellar performances as the star-crossed couple Max and Liz which are the center of the show. The real stars however can be found in the supporting cast. Majandra Delfino delivers wit and beauty in her part as Liz's best friend Maria De Luca, but is still capable to add emotional depth to her character. Brendan Fehr makes Michael to the most interesting and most vulnerable character of the show, while Katherine Heigl plays the sympathetic and spoiled princess among the group. Nick Wechsler, pretty much wasted in season one, becomes a fully fledged character in season two with some of the funniest lines of the whole show. William Sadler however is the show's most talented actor and his performance is just beautiful.

"Roswell" is a show for people who can overlook flaws and just enjoy a very nice show with a heart, despite its silliness at times.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]