IMDb > Life-Size (2000) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Life-Size

Life-Size (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Not just for little girls.

Author: SanDiego from The Beach
6 March 2000

The idea of a mom or girlfriend brought to life from an inanimate object is not a new one and has been used as a plot device in film and TV for years. We've seen the story before in "Mannequin," and Disney's "A Mom for Christmas." In the later film we see a department store mannequin who is brought to life by a widower's daughter. In this film, it's a fashion doll. These films feature drop dead beauties in the lead role wearing fun, colorful outfits. Not exactly great actresses, but with enough charisma to make the role work in a cute type of way. "Life-Size" features Lindsay Lohan (the cute little red-head from "The Parent Trap") as the young girl and Jere Burns ("Dear John") as her father. Both are very good actors and their performances and chemistry are so good that casting them in the same roles for a TV sitcom might not be a bad idea. Jere Burns subtle and gentle performance is better than his usual roles where he snaps one-liners. The script and direction of this film are also very good, not settling on obvious jokes and letting the characters time to adjust to situations. While the idea of a perfect mom being a dumb witted doll might seem old-fashioned, we also see dad working along side career women, and his daughter is involved in co-ed football (as quarter back no less). Also of note are the fashion costumes that were inspired by actual fashion doll clothes and accessories. This is a film that spends as much time with the adults as it does with the child which places it in a different orbit than most Disney films. Supermodel Tyra Banks plays Eve, the fashion doll, and with her hair up in a bun, pearls around her neck, perfect tall poise, perfect long legs, and incredible good looks, certainly is a fashion doll. Despite interesting and comedic situations, her character is boring and certainly no fantasy for a young girl. She is a man's fantasy and more specifically the father's fantasy. We watch him slowly fall in love with her mystique as much as her looks. Not surprisingly, Tyra Banks looks great in every scene (if Tyra Banks is not the most beautiful woman in the world, she certainly comes close). Surprisingly she has a gift for comedic pantomime (watching her try to keep up with the real world work office and home kitchen without breaking a sweat was a treat). Scenes that require her to mimic the looks of a Barbie doll namely the plastic smile, the vogue poses (she points both her hands up to the side after typing gibberish on a computer at work), the way she gets used to her legs and arms being able to move ("my ankles bend!"), are very good, perhaps because Tyra Banks is experienced at modeling, and to be honest, what supermodel does not have a plastic smile and vogue poses? There might have been some inside joke going on by casting a supermodel without the supermodel herself knowing it. Later in the film there is a sweet scene between Tyra Banks and Lindsay Lohan as Tyra puts Lindsay to bed. The director's pacing seemed to relax Tyra a bit, and her lines spoken in whisper were not bad. I wouldn't mind watching Tyra Banks learning her craft in a series spin-off or sequel of "Life-Size." She makes a great mom and wife to this family and as she learns to be human she might loosen up some more.

Heart warming and charming family comedy

Author: Darkfalz
27 June 2004

Naturally, being a warm blooded male, I don't typically seek out movies like this to watch. But often they come on TV and I happen to catch the first few minutes and then get swept up and, on occasion, thoroughly entertained. I'm happy to say this was one of those occasions.

Lindsey Lohan had me in tears in The Parent Trap, where she was completely charming and adorable, and she's continues in that vein here. Sadly the actress herself has become rather unappealing as an adult, both appearance and personality wise (just another shallow Hollywood party girl...) but here's a look at how sweet she was before things went wrong. I love freckles! Tyra Banks also stars, which is good because it's great to see an actress who had higher aspirations take roles like this to show they are humble and don't take themselves too seriously. Models (and wrestlers or rappers for men) who think they are serious actors are near the top of my most annoying list!

Well, the story of the film is pretty straight forward for a Disneyesque family feature, Casey (Lohan) loses her mother and attempts to resurrect her via voodoo magic, but instead manages to bring her new Eve doll to life, in the form of Tyra Banks. Not exactly a demanding role, but Banks is fun and appealing as the doll come to life trying to fit into the real world. Of course, I'll be a bit cheeky here and say that Type Banks is a perfect choice to play someone who is completely plastic! ;)

Anyway, there's not a whole lot of plot to spoil so I'll stop there, just watch this film for the feel good aspect (and young Lohan) and to remember and treasure the innocent (and fun!) years of youth. It's not only teenagers who shouldn't be in a rush to grow up, but adults too!

Great Movie!!!

Author: Anton186 from Boonton, NJ
5 March 2000

I think "Life Size" is a great movie. It's too bad that it is just a TV Movie and will not have copies of it sold in stores. I never would have known that Tyra Banks was such a great actress. She was excellent for the part of Eve. It's a great family movie and I hope that they decide to release a video of it in stores.

Adorable

Author: Judith Wolper (judith1224@aol.com) from Chicago
15 January 2001

I've always loved Tyra Banks as a model and I loved her even more in this movie. She was adorable when she first came to life from being a doll and she showed some real emotions later when she learned what it was like to be human. The scene at the end of the football made me cry along with the characters. I know the plot has been done before, but I guess I'm a sucker for them. I also like "My Stepmother is an Alien" and the recent one on PAX where Kathy Ireland played Santa's daughter. I hope that Tyra Banks does more acting because she is very appealing.

Lohan credit

Author: Becca Avery (kkrabby89)
6 April 2003

The only reason I truly saw it was because of Lindsay Lohan. This movie was funny and really adorable, and Lindsay grew into quite a pretty young lady. With Tyra Banks in it I though the movie was going to be one big fashion shoot, but I was happily mistaken, because she could both act and sing well. Lindsay Lohan, of course, was perfect, and Jerry Burns did a great job as well. :)

Small Budget, Big Power! Hilarious Family Film!

Author: Viddy24 from ...
24 September 2005

At first glance I bet 90% of people would under estimate it. But I tell you, this is one heck of a film. It should have been put into theatres because it is SO much fun, and you can watch it with Family, friends, Anyone...and it NEVER gets boring! The comedy is everywhere. Jokes, gags, everything! It is so hilarious and you could seriously laugh through out the whole film. The acting was GREAT! It was clear and good. Finally the PLOT. Truly original! It is simple but the film is truly GREAT! Overall I give it 9/10. A bit of work here and there and the film could actually be PERFECT! RENT the film, actually, BUY the film because whenever your bored or feeling low, this film has enough comedy to make you feel better again. Small Budget, Big Power!

Enjoyable family movie

Author: mosschas from United States
4 January 2005

Pleasantly surprised by Tyra's bubbly rendition of a doll's outlook and reaction to 'real life'. The situation of child angst and need for her mother can be handled seriously or lightly. Both help get the point across that in tough times, children need love and support. So what if it comes from a doll accidentally brought to life. The movie did not go too overboard on needing to correct the situation as other movies have. The doll's outlook on life based on infusion from commercial ditties and TV perfection helps to show the difference between TV and reality in a way kids can understand. Talk to you kids about this after the movie but enjoy Eve's bubbly attitude and style during the show.

Real Cute!

Author: Cyprus386 from USA
6 March 2000

I just saw this last night on "The Wonderful World of Disney". I thought it was going to be a dumb kiddy movie, but I was soon wrong. I loved it! My only question is this: Was Tyra Banks typecast? Think about it. A supermodel playing a Barbie doll? I guess it was good. Actually, I loved this movie!

A good film.

Author: marius_nicolescu from Constanta, Romania
19 October 2002

A pretty good film, I really loved the cast rather than the scrispt, so I think that it's worth watching, especially when Lindsay Lohan stars in it. My second comment is that I didsn't really enjoy the script. It was quite childish. But, the rest was great.

Well hello...Dolly !

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
2 December 2003

Don't you just love these lazy sunday afternoons ? Just laying around your house and do absolutely nothing but watching TV...Unfortunately, I couldn't find the remote when this thing started. I was laying in my couch and the remote was nowhere near...I didn't want anything to spoil my lazyness so I kept watching it.

It was...errrr...CUTE ! Being a 22 year old-fashioned male who wastes most of his time by seeing horror and foreign cult films, I don't think I was part of the target audience this movie tried to reach. So, I also see no reason in bashing it completely. The cast and crew tries so much to bring tears to your eyes. All typical elements are included : the poor girl who just lost her mommy, the workaholic dad who forgets his daughter's football match, the ugly duckling at the office who turns into a beautiful swan ... I'm not being cynical, I'm sure you will cry when you're a young girl (aged 8 - 14) or a lonely housewife ( age 30-55) but if you don't fall into any other category, you'll just watch at it and don't move a muscle. Either that or you have emotional problems...

The cast is filled with "I've seen him/her before somewhere" - faces but I couldn't put a name to those faces. Usually this means they're washed up actors and actresses who can only get jobs in inferior family Disney movies. Except for Tyra Banks of course...She's playing the role she was born to play. A life-size doll !! She's dumb, naïve, ignorant but oh so beautiful and perfect. Her job is to walk around and look hot and she can handle that perfectly well.

The overload of sentiment, morals, drama and unfunny comedy almost made me puke but still I didn't got up to look for the remote. ( That's a good sign by the way...it means this movie is "bearable" till the end )

The monday after, my little niece told me she saw it too and she said she never saw a better movie...so, you see, it's all relative

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]