IMDb > Flexing with Monty (2010) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Flexing with Monty

Flexing with Monty (V) More at IMDbPro »

i cannot see that anyone with a trained eye has seen this film

Author: albalovescholo from houston
20 April 2012

this film is surreal; nothing is what it appears to be, and i see no indication in IMDb that anyone here has studied film, as NO ONE has used the word surreal, or off-kilter, or used terms like symbolic, or metaphorical.

i do not mean to say that one must formally study film to appreciate it; but certainly even a casual review might mention the religious themes, rather that simply saying a nun drops by. and by what criteria is this a comedy?

i am sad that everyone here missed the film, especially because it was Trevor Goddard's swan song; sudden death at forty is tragic, no matter who you are. (my condolences to all who are directly affected.)

More perverse than Tarantino

Author: sman-153-194999 from United States
6 September 2011

I always thought Quentin Tarantino was the best at pressing my squick button (I still cannot watch "Pulp Fiction" without feeling a bit queasy), but this movie takes the cake.

It was interesting, but only in the sort of way an auto accident you are passing by on the road is. (I spent a fair amount of time on fast forward.) It is an intense movie; there are a couple of WTF moments: Bertin, the younger brother, purchases a man in a birdcage (sort of a man--he does not seem to mind or notice that he is caged), and we find out late in the movie that the alleged brothers are really father and son. One review I saw said that Warhol would have loved this, and, I don't know, I guess so.

I was saddened to learn Trevor Goddard (Monty, the older brother) is no longer with us. He and the others do a nice job.

Recommended, with reservations. There's a fair share of homophobia, homoeroticism, incest and S&M, and some wild sets. Does that make for a good movie?--well, perhaps.

Bursting with energy, sometimes stupidly so

Author: danielmartinx from Canada
25 January 2015

This film, coming out of nowhere, really astonished me. For starters, the Samuel Beckett staging immediately makes you expect surreal and strange things. But the filmmaker takes the surrealism into really dark and unpleasant realms. Monty is a loud-talking narcissist, and Bertin is so self-absorbed that he's even less human or likable. Bertin's true feelings for Monty are clearly problematic, and the film plays a terrible game with the audience as it seemingly drags us to the edge of incestuous carryings-on, on screen no less. Goddard's body is used to great effect in the filming. After watching it, I found myself trying to think of a film that exploits the male body in the same relentless way. Monty's body carries the film, to whatever extent the film works (for some viewers, it won't work, clearly); Monty's endless flexing and preenign and posing draw the viewer's attention relentlessly, and there is a compulsive and uncontrolled nature to the camera work here. Many people are put off by the homoeroticism and intense homophobia of the film, but I think it's important to see Monty's strange rants about homosexuality as a pitiful and broken man battling against his own sexual hungers. Some viewers come away with a sense that Monty has taken advantage of a gay man who hires him as a hustler, but that interpretation is open to debate. The man pays for rough trade to verbally belittle him, and Monty does physically subdue and verbally degrade the man. What happens when the cameras leave, before Monty leaves the man's house? Note that he arrives early in the afternoon and leaves late at night -- Monty seems to have been playing his role for many hours, a fact that many Puritanical viewers seem to miss. The ending is horrific, of course, and I wish that some of the Lilith material had been excised from the script. There are many things that could have been done better, but when the main actor and the producer/writer/director pass away, you end up with not only an inability to refilm scenes but an inability to take the director's vision from his mind and to the screen. For these flaws, I take off a few points, but for its incandescent sensuality and stunning atmosphere, I give it an 8.