IMDb > Coyote Ugly (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Coyote Ugly Was A "Feel Good" Film

Author: shulma2002
28 May 2004

I was not disappointed with "Coyote Ugly". It made me feel good and we need this kind of film these days with all that's going-on.It was no worse than "Flashdance" or "Footloose" which also had little storyline and average acting. I enjoyed it and it was what I had expected.Many of you gave it negative criticisms; what did they expect from a film about a young girl coming to the city? This was a simple story about a young shy girl with dreams trying to make it in show business; which is hard if you don't have the right connections.The dance numbers and bar scene were very realistic. As a New Yorker, I was happy to see that she wasn't mugged or worse as many films about New York portray.I'd like a sequel.

Heartwarming story overcomes sappy bits.

Author: Bondo20 from Denver, CO
21 July 2001

Based on the true story about the crazy female run bar in New York City, Coyote Ugly becomes surprisingly believable despite the usual Hollywood bits. The story follows Violet Sanford (Piper Perabo) as she moves from small town New Jersey to the city to become a songwriter. Through her misfortunes she meets boyfriend Kevin O'Donnell (Adam Garcia) and the Coyotes and learns from each of them to overcome the stage fright that threatens to ruin her dreams.

Many moments are sappy or overly dramatic but the majority is enthralling as all the characters are solidly built. The girls all have their own character but aren't so strictly chained to it that they become merely symbols instead of people. While the females may be on the screen the most, the two supporting males Kevin and William Sanford (John Goodman) provide the most heartwarming scenes. Goodman's performance provides subtle humor while his character struggles through the conflict of his daughter leaving and his desire to see her succeed. For an actor who has put in so many great performances, this one still manages to be one of his best.

Coyote Ugly offers something enjoyable to everyone. Guys obviously will enjoy the attractive girls and the provocative dancing while girls can enjoy the strong female characters, each of which won't take crap from any of the men that surround them. Parents can enjoy the side story of the conflict between Violet and her father. Another feature to enjoy is the fabulous music with four songs performed by LeAnn Rimes with some smaller groups as well.

Coyote Ugly crosses the unusual boundary of being both an exciting, fast-paced movie that gets the adrenaline flowing and a sensitive story with strong characters and brilliant acting to get the mind working. The result is a thoroughly rewarding movie experience.

Insubstantial but highly entertaining

Author: FlickJunkie-2 from Atlanta, GA
22 February 2001

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer seems to have an innate sense of what makes money in cinema. He seldom makes a film that isn't profitable and has numerous blockbusters on his resume over the past 30 years (American Gigolo, Flashdance, Beverly Hills Cop, Top Gun, The Rock, Con Air, Armageddon). Bruckheimer is a populist producer. He is more concerned with giving audiences what they want than he is about producing films of any artistic value or substance. In that regard, `Coyote Ugly' fits right in.

This film is energetic, entertaining, scintillating and fun to watch. The story is "Flashdance" lite, and is reminiscent of the popular but vacuous `Cocktail' with Tom Cruise, only with a decent plot woven in. Violet Sanford (Piper Perabo) is a young aspiring songwriter who leaves South Amboy, New Jersey traveling to New York City to be discovered. When things don't go as planned, she takes a job as a bartender in a raucous singles bar where the sexy female bartenders dance provocatively on the bar to the shrieks of the rowdy patrons below. Of course, there is a love story to go along with the quest for fame, completing the populist formula.

Bruckheimer defies the conventional Hollywood big budget approach by using an ensemble cast of veritable unknowns and a first time director. Other than John Goodman in a minor role, and supermodel Tyra Banks who hasn't done much acting, most of the actors have extremely short resumes. This gives the film a freshness and energy that comes from the cast's exhilaration at just being on the set.

Piper Perabo is an incredible find. She is not simply acting in this film, but living the role. Just like her character Violet, this film is her big break so her ability to understand the character and the role is implicit (another stroke of Bruckheimer genius). Perabo is an excellent actor with tremendous ability and potential. It is likely that this film will be the launch pad for a bright career. Maria Bello also gives a fabulous performance as Lil, the tough and successful owner of the nightclub. Australian actor Adam Garcia has great chemistry with Perabo as Violet's love interest. His pleasant demeanor and good looks have many people comparing him with Mel Gibson, although it remains to be seen whether he can handle roles that are more substantial. John Goodman provides one of the film's best moments when he gets up on the bar and dances as Violet auctions him off to the screaming women in the crowd.

The DVD is packed with interesting special features about the making of the film. It also includes a DTS audio option, which I like better than Dolby Digital 5.1. The soundtrack is pulsating and explosive and pumps the film up with excitement.

This is not great filmmaking, but it is great entertainment. It is an amiable film that sparkles with energy and is easy to watch. I rated it a 7/10. Many people were surprised by how much they enjoyed it, but I'm never surprised when I like a Jerry Bruckheimer film. He knows how to push our buttons.

An interesting, excellent surprise.

Author: Gustavo Rodriguez from Lima, Peru
6 February 2001

I have to say that when I saw the trailer I thought this was going to be a film about some half naked women and some people drinking a lot. But, when the film ended I have to say I was really surprised. A good surprise. Some people will probably disagree with me but this is not a film about nudity or something like that, it is a film about following your dreams, about leaving home searching for something real. I think Piper Perabo is excellent in her role as Violet, who actually sings some of the songs in the film. I'd recommend it to everyone who wants to have a great time.

Familiar story still has great energy, and works for me!!!

Author: bopdog from Was UK Now US
5 August 2000

Not bad, not bad. I read reviews that criticized the cliche-ness of this movie, and I can see their point. At times the plot made the characters a little bit annoying. But hey-- story cliches often become that way because they speak to universal "truths," or at least things that interest bunches of people over of time.

This movie is interesting-- it is engaging, and even touching at times. I DID care about the characters throughout the story. I wanted to see how things would work out for them, and I wanted them to win. Sure, the plot is kind of predictable-- but the energy kept the theme in the forefront, and I AM interested in the theme presented here-- love, taking risks, courage, and all of that. The women actors were wonderful-- hot, sure, but also outrageous in an innocent kind of way. I had the sense that none of the characters in the movie, even the raunchy extras in the bar scenes, was belittled. I suspected the writers, director, cast, etc., had a basic affection for their subjects and topic.

The dancing was great-- I noted "dancing doubles" in the credits for all of the girls-- and the bar tricks and stunts were fun. I enjoyed pretending that those stunts were even possible, and that they wouldn't have killed 7 people the first night they were tried in a real bar in real life. I gave this one an "8" out of 10. Go see it-- you'll like it!

Nothing to howl about.

Author: Rob Deschenes (kalibur@softhome.net) from Toronto, Ont. Canada
30 August 2000

The rumor is true: girls like COYOTE UGLY more than guys. And the reasons are obvious as soon as the plot is given. Jersey girl goes to New York to become a song writer. And after initial frustration of having no luck, overhears some girls partying about the $300 each they made last night. She gets an audition at the bar they work at and surprise! The place is completely full of "two year old toddlers" bursting at the sight of babes dancing.

The story is not bad and some characters are likeable, especially Cammie (the "fashion coordinator" part was cute) and the bouncer but let's face it, the drama was horrible and completely laughable from the beginning. Violet and her father looked far too ridiculous while they were relating throughout the movie. And check out Violet too jamming on that keyboard with the break dancer!

For the first time I could think of, how could the production be so terrible? For a brief moment with this movie, Hollywood could stand on its two feet and show a new low without any major public outcry without saying, "You were warned!" Instead, it seems COYOTE UGLY has a purposeful intent on trying to kiss every major rear in the world. Advertising babes in a bar, but showing a paper thin "pursue your dream" story disappointed every male teen you targeted!

And finally, the music. There was absolutely no break of music I found in this movie, especially when it was needed (the hospital scene). Every scene felt like some short music video you just wish would stop until the bar opened. But the climax was an ultimate laugher: an '80s like song you would expect Cyndi Lauper to jump on the stage and jam with Violet. Heck, I personally thought Bon Jovi was going to jump out with the long hair and jam too!

Other than some really smart camera work with the coyote girls when dancing (especially the wet scene), and a couple cute cliches, COYOTE UGLY is something to be purely embarrassed about. Whether you watched or made it, it looked like nothing but time killing. Or wasting depending on how you look at it.

Coyote Ugly is the best bar-flick since Cocktail

Author: Dani from Canada
3 January 2006

I love "Coyote Ugly", even though it seems critics/reviewers had mixed opinions. I thought it was the best bar-flick since "Cocktail". If you haven't seen "Cocktail", it's a movie where Tom Cruise stars as a bartender, and he swirls bottles around and other cool tricks of the trade. In Coyote Ugly, you have Violet (Piper Perabo) who comes to NYC to become a singer/songwriter. While Violet's there she finds that nobody will accept her demos, so she goes looking for work and she finds a job in a local bar called, "Coyote Ugly". The bar is owned by Lil (Maria Bello), Lil is a hardcore chick who treats her bar like it's her home. While Violet is there she also learns the tricks of the trade, and she also dances on top of the bar. I'm not going to tell you if Violet becomes a singer/songwriter or not, because that would wreck the movie, but I am going to tell you that this is a great movie. Personally, I would have to recommend this to anybody that has hopes and dreams of making it big. I'm giving this a 8 out of 10, because it has an amazing story, memorable characters and a lot of great lines, but I have to tell you one of the best parts is the theme song, "Can't Fight The Moonlight". So, if you love bar-flicks like "Cocktail" you'll love "Coyote Ugly".

"Cocktail" for women minus Tom Cruise - 56%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
13 August 2008

Bartending movies are pretty rare things though judging by most bars seen in Hollywood, that's probably a good thing. Excessively noisy, always packed with people and there will be a fight breaking out at some point during the evening. You wouldn't see that in the UK. You'd get a couple of jocks hogging the pool table, bad music from the jukebox and maybe one or two "singers" who have had too much to drink - far more civilised that the bar seen in stuff like "Coyote Ugly", anyway. Despite its raucous nature, this is actually a fairly inoffensive and deeply predictable rags-to-riches story that is aimed squarely at the teenage girl market that I'm clearly not a part of. Oh dear.

Piper Perabo plays Violet, a shy wannabe songwriter growing up in New Jersey but with dreams of moving to New York in order to pursue her dreams. Against the wishes of her father (John Goodman), she moves out and finds herself struggling to make it. As her money dwindles, she takes a bar job at a frankly seedy establishment called Coyote Ugly and is woefully out of her depth. Staffed by sassy women who tease and tantalize their largely male customers, Violet fights the reluctance of the manager Lil (Mario Bello) and her stage fright in order to fit in. Can she overcome her nerves to secure her dreams and succeed in love with the impossibly cute Kevin (Adam Garcia)?

There is a lot not to like about "Coyote Ugly". The plot is insultingly basic and all too ready to turn on itself for the sake on convenience. Take the moment when Violet auctions off Kevin in order to raise some cash. Up to that point, the bar is full of shouting drunk guys but as soon as the auction starts, it suddenly fills with sex-starved women with money to burn - where did they come from? I personally felt that this was a female fantasy movie - a film where women are the shouty ballsy ones partying hard and living dangerously - and this may be why it didn't ring particularly true to me. The evolution of Violet's character doesn't seem organic at all, as she switches from shy to confident at a moment's notice. However, Perabo rightly leads to cast as she is good as Violet. Goodman also performs well as her father but Garcia does less well, being little more than eye-candy. But the real star is the soundtrack - like "Dirty Dancing", the film's score is filled with great songs from start to finish although the heavy repetition of the film's climatic song "Can't Fight The Moonlight" after the film's release means that the all-important feel-good factor at the end with replaced with a sense of resignation.

I suppose that as romantic fairy-tales go, this is a little unconventional but does the job well enough. In fact, that's symptomatic of the movie as a whole. Everything is enough but never excessive. The music is good but never stunning. The romantic element is OK but not as plausible as I'd like. The humour is gentle but never biting, the acting is decent enough but doesn't feel realistic and the bar-work (all the bottle spinning and juggling) looks the business but needs a whooshy sound-effect. So "Coyote Ugly" is good enough entertainment but nothing award-winning. Me? I'd rather have a quiet night in, thanks.

Without substance, but highly entertaining.

Author: SmoothCriminal8291958 from United States
24 March 2007

Producer Jerry Bruckheimer seems to have an innate sense of what makes money in cinema. He seldom makes a film that isn't profitable and has numerous blockbusters on his resume over the past 30 years (American Gigolo, Flashdance, Beverly Hills Cop, Top Gun, The Rock, Con Air, Armageddon). Bruckheimer is a populist producer. He is more concerned with giving audiences what they want than he is about producing films of any artistic value or substance. In that regard, 'Coyote Ugly' fits right in.

This film is energetic, entertaining, scintillating and fun to watch. The story is "Flashdance" lite, and is reminiscent of the popular but vacuous 'Cocktail' with Tom Cruise, only with a decent plot woven in. Violet Sanford (Piper Perabo) is a young aspiring songwriter who leaves South Amboy, New Jersey traveling to New York City to be discovered. When things don't go as planned, she takes a job as a bartender in a raucous singles bar where the sexy female bartenders dance provocatively on the bar to the shrieks of the rowdy patrons below. Of course, there is a love story to go along with the quest for fame, completing the populist formula.

This is not great film-making, but it is great entertainment. It is an amiable film that sparkles with energy and is easy to watch. I rated it a 7/10. Many people were surprised by how much they enjoyed it, but I'm never surprised when I like a Jerry Bruckheimer film. He knows how to push our buttons.

Wanna dance? The hottest party of the year.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
3 January 2006

There are something like 3 years since I watched ''Coyote Ugly'', but I remembered it of being a very nice movie! It was the first movie I watched with Piper Perabo and Bridget Moynahan.(who, by the way, is the same lady who works in ''I,Robot'' and I couldn't remember since she is so different!)We also have the famous John Goodman playing Violet's dad and Adam Garcia, who I already have watched in ''Riding in Cars with Boys ''. The story of this movie is very simple, and it's about a girl called Violet from New Jersey,who wants to be a singer and go to New York to try her luck. Once in the Apple City, she has many problems finding someone to be interested in her music, and goes to work in a bar called ''Coyote Ugly'', where the girls (bar maids) besides giving the clients drinks also do sensual dances. She also meets the charming Australian Kevin, who she falls in love.

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]