IMDb > "The Parkers" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Parkers" More at IMDbPro »

Modern Day Lucy

Author: Robert Carroll from United States
20 May 2005

I LOVE THIS SHOW! I have seen every episode and I laugh out loud each and every time I do. The show is sheer entertaining! It is not meant to give any meaning, it is just what it is, a side-splitting comedy. The characters are very believable and the guest stars are stupendous! I LOVE Mo'Nique as Nikki Parker and Countess Vaughn as her dim-witted daughter who can sang, Kim Parker (you will fall in love each and every time you see them) they are hilarious and a GREAT team of actors! HEYYY!! Dang Mama! The shows originality is overwhelming (Definately a CLASSIC)! I would love to own ALL seasons! The sets are colorful, the plots are simple and hysterical! I would love to see the series come back! They should do an encore, like they have done for the Brady Bunch and Eight is Enough!

Funny Show

Author: joewillis1962 from Forest City, NC
15 September 2003

I watch The Parkers a lot. It's one of my favorite sitcoms, and the best that UPN offers. Monique and Countess Vaughn are both talented, as well as the supporitng cast. Compared to other of the UPN sitcoms, they " Keep it Real". Hope to see some reruns when it goes into syndication this fall.

Funny Sitcom!

Author: dgordon-1 from Toronto, Canada
16 June 2004

I always get a kick out of watching this show. Even though it's not a groundbreaking program, it is very funny. Mo'Nique makes this show! She always spoke her mind, and wouldn't take any bad stuff from anyone, with the exception of "The Professor" or "Boo". Everyone on this show seemed to have a connection with one another, which came across on the screen. This show wasn't broadcast to make a statement, it was just an entertaining half-hour, which is a rarity nowadays. Like all good things, they must come to an end. I am sad to see this show go off the air, but it's had a good run. One thing is for sure, it was a 100% better than any of the sitcoms that are on the 4 major networks. I hope to see Mo'Nique in other future TV shows and movies, I always get a kick out of her humour! I hope this show becomes available on DVD!

It's da bomb!

Author: patscheer2005 from Dallas
11 July 2004

The Parkers has stolen the hearts of many people throughout it's run on UPN on Monday nights. Now that it is in syndication I laugh with Nikki, Kim, and the gang every day. The Parkers is very entertaining and sometimes even educational(Not with Kim tough).My favorite episode was the episode when T found out his honey was HIV positive which also dealt with racism.I am hispanic but I feel identified with the African American community also. Monique's character Nikki, is not scared to speak her mind and I really think that's one of the reason why her character has been successful. The PArkers is the best show on UPN. No other show on UPN can make me laugh as much as the Parkers On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 9.

Down right funny!

Author: raysond from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
18 April 2002

Not only this show is one of the top-ten shows that garners a huge African-American audience on UPN,but its one of the funniest ever devised. Think of it as the female version of Sanford and Son mixed in with a hint of The Jeffersons,What's Happening,and Good Times not to mention that 80's show 227(in Sandra Clark mode)for good measure. Moni'Que is side splitting hilarious as the mom was always tries to get the Professor but overwhelming results. Countress Vaughn is the daughter Kim along with her friends tries to conjure up one lame scheme after another. When you see it,you'll be crying laughing!

Moesha's Friend Spins Off

Author: hillari from Chicago, USA
27 March 2001

Kim Parker continues to be just as boy-crazy as she was when her character was on "Moesha". On this show, we learn that she gets this trait from her mother Nikki, who chases after stiff Professor Ogilvie in every episode. Unlike "Moesha", which has turned into a dramedy over the past couple of years, "The Parkers" are all about fun. Viewers with good memories will remember Jenna Van Oy as having been a regular on "Blossom". Countess Vaughn, who plays Kim, had a reoccuring role on "227", and was also a "Star Search" contestant in the singing category.

One of the funniest Black US sitcoms I have seen

Author: waiching liu from London, England, UK
24 June 2007

The Parkers was the spin-off of Brandy's sitcom 'Moesha' and whereas the latter was often much more of a dramedy-type of show, this show was purely made for laughs. Mo'Nique is outrageously funny as Nikki Parker and is arguably the main star of The Parkers. her constant obsession with the Professor is one of the funniest things about this show. although it is also one that got on viewers nerves as well.

I have to say I was never a fan of 'Moesha' and so I was very surprised by The Parkers when I watched a couple of episodes of this sitcom a couple of years ago because it was a totally different type of comedy show. The emphasis was predominately driven by clean humour, physical comedy and laugh out loud comic situations and mishaps, which are some of the most important elements for any good sitcom, regardless of its target audience and whether it is a Black or White sitcom.

It was strange though that the professor, Stanley, of whom had a strong dislike of being stalked by Nikki for a large part of the show, later on as it progressed, decided he did have feelings for her after all. That, in particular, made no sense whatsoever. he was your usual pleasant and nice guy still. Nonetheless, the remaining characters Kim, Andell, Stevie and T were all interesting, and it was also great to see Jenna Von Oy back on screen, this time as one of Kim's friends Stevie, after her earlier stint as Six in the much successful early 90s sitcom,'Blossom'.

It was such a shame The Parkers ended so early, and although the last episode was rather rushed and out-of-sync with the actual plot of the show, at least it was wrapped up in the end. The one thing that I wished had happened but of which it didn't, was for Stevie and T to get together and consummate their relationship.

Still, The Parkers was and probably still is one of the very rare Black sitcoms televised back in the day, and one of which was consistently funny throughout and attracted a good number of viewers.

This is definitely my favorite comedy show of the decade...

Author: lgfrades from United States
19 November 2005

I've seen almost all the episodes on BET, and I hope it comes out on video. I think it's the funniest show to come out in the new millennium and I wish it never ended. Fortunately, we can still see it on BET, but mark my words, it'll take its rightful place on DVD and on TV Land or Nick at Nite in the years to come. I also love Mo'Nique because she is the only role model for (BBW) big, beautiful women.

One of my favorite episodes was the Tae Bo episode, and also when Shaq came on the show. I love all of Mo'Nique and Andell's antics as well as Kim's "ka-yut" personality and marvelous singing voice. And Boo, is really hot. Worth fighting for. There are so many memorable episodes, that if you haven't been fortunate enough to see it, you must check it out. It is hilarious and loads of fun.

Best sitcom ever

Author: from United States
6 August 2007

This is the best show in the whole wide world. If this it came on all day, everyday I would never get tired of it. I love the characters. They are so funny! I especially like Kim...she reminds me of myself...lol. I really wish it would come back on. It would be nice to see what the old characters are up to. I would love to see what happens after Nikki and the Professor got married (Even though I think she should have married Johnny).

Also, just my personal opinion. I think reruns of this show should come on more often than just Saturday mornings on BET (when nobody is awake). If we can watch reruns of Seinfield and Friends all hours of the day and night, surely we can get more reruns of a show that was actually funny.

The Parkers

Author: juliemichels from United States
24 August 2006

I love the show....I watch it twice a day here in Chicago.

I thought originally the show was focused on silly little Kim, but I guess you can only have so much silliness. Then the focus went on "Nicole" and the Professor. This was really on point. The cat and mouse chase is hilarious!!! Its pretty clean...

All the characters are pretty funny. Its great writing. I wish there was a continuation of this funny sitcom. I would've love to have seen more on the characters of Andell, Stevie and T. On point you did a cameo of Woody the cook.

Its also funny how the story did those spoof of Dallas and other shows. This is some fully stuff. Can anyone tell me why it went off production? Good shows like this never last.

I would like to know where the actors are now and whats going on in their lives.

Its slated to be removed 9/1. If anyone know how to get this show back in Chicago on any station, please let me know. Thanks