IMDb > "The West Wing" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The West Wing"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The West Wing" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

one of the best television shows. ever

Author: in_no_big_hurry
21 May 2006

i give West Wing a nine out of ten. i know a lot of people have said this, but after Sorkin left the show it was still one of the best shows on TV, but it was no longer clearly the best show on TV. the first four seasons are fantastic. magnificent. entertaining and insightful. from then on, they are very good. that is really the only way to describe it. the show has a superb cast, you look at every main character and think there is no way they could have done a better job, both in casting and in the work the actors themselves do on the show. the direction is great, the editing is great, and the writing (once again, in the first four seasons, though still great afterwords) is the best ever in a dramatic series that i have seen. This show is right up there with Scrubs, The Shield, Arrested Development, 24 and others as the best shows on television in both recent memory and television history. Bradley Whitford, Richard Schiff, Allison Janney, Martin Sheen, Aaron Sorkin, John Spencer and the rest of the team behind "The West Wing" have truly made a show for the ages.

A Must For Everyone With A Pulse!

Author: williamgetshisemail from Dublin, Ireland
30 March 2006

Out of principle i rarely watch American TV shows. Let me set the record straight, it's not that i don't like America, its just that for years, and even to this day, their contribution to TV has been mediocre at best. Every once in awhile however, our friends from across the pond get the recipe right (ER for example, the first 5 seasons are a must for any self respecting DVD collector). The West Wing is a masterpiece of television in every sense. From the writing to the casting, to the direction (even the guy who makes the coffee on set should get a mention because in my view this show can do no wrong).

After viewing the pilot I was addicted, and I now own all 6 DVD box sets. The key premise of the show is nothing new. It is ordinary people (intelligent, witty, caring individuals. What is more normal?) placed in extraordinary situations. It has been the premise of every movie ever made! It is the attention to detail that sets this show apart from its counterparts. It can be argued that the show has taken a downturn after the departure of writer/creator Aaron Sorkin, however, any self-respecting West Wing fan will follow through it through to the end.

It can also be argued that this, the 7th and final, season of the show may provide us, the viewers with a reality check. In Arnold Vinick the writers have created a spanner in the works, a good bad guy if you know what i mean. Here is a character that if he ends up winning we won't feel too bad. In this sense the writers have covered all basis and given themselves a platform from which they can launch a gripping and enticing finale to what has been and still is compelling viewing.

President Jed Bartlett gives you the partial anagram Brad Lt

Author: xbrad68 from SAINT CATHARINES, ONTARIO
2 March 2006

The West Wing is a lot of fun to watch. I like to think that President Jed Bartlett could represent either major Political Party. I have a lot of respect for American Shadow President Jack Kennedy and President George W Bush. Gentlemen the problem with me being told to go to Buffalo New York is that I do not have enough money to stay there long and what kind of Father would I be if I left without my Daughter Julia who is the 19th highest ranking Human in the Universe who represents Peace through conquest of the universe to the Creators of Humans the Care rank Ki Aliens. For America England King Harry V, JFK, QE2 and the Messiah King George the sixth Windsor.

I was disappointed to hear that the West Wing had been cancelled. I thought that Smits character made a good presidential candidate

NBC wanted to get rid of it!

Author: gynsusamatoshi (colsamatoshi@yahoo.com) from wisconsin
23 January 2006

As every fans knows by now, this series is being canceled. WHY? Quote: "ratings were falling in it's Sunday time slot vs wed.'s" They moved it to Sunday, the ratings started to fall, if they wanted to keep it 1 - they wouldn't have moved it, 2 - having moved it they COULD have moved it back.

Yes, this is/was a good show! Unfortunately, they will probably replace it with another "Law & Order" series or rerun. Do we REALLY need over 8 hours of L & O each week? GIVE US VARIETY!

I suggest that if you liked this show, email NBC and b**** them out for deliberately setting it into a time they knew would cause it to fail in.

The death of West Wing

Author: tonistuart from United States
23 January 2006

I cannot believe that West Wing is going off the air. It is the only TV show I scan the listings for, and will put everything aside in order to see. (We don't get it every week here in the Santa Barbara area.)

It is the best show on television. I love the characters, particularly CJ. I enjoy the multiplicity of plot lines, and the fast pace because that's how government is. Jed Bartlett is my hero.

I am sick of the crime shows, and most of the rest is tripe! (I have seen the rise and fall of television in my 68 years. I think commercial television is probably on the way out.)

West Wing is always interesting and I always learn something. Maybe I will finally throw out my TV.

I am a Democrat and used to be active in politics.

What's next?

Author: clojo from United States
17 December 2005

I am an avid viewer of The West Wing. It gives me an in-depth look into the day-to-day operation of the White House. Every character is believable and professional.From the very beginning, the show captivated American audiences with true to life situations that mirrored what has been going on in our world. i wonder if real White House staffers view this rich program? I, too, mourn the loss of Leo in future episodes.With the untimely death of John Spencer, I wonder "What's next"?, as President Bartlett says often. Would it not be interesting if Sam Seaborn re-entered as the VP candidate, similar to how he exited the program? Mrs. Landenheim "visiting" President Barlett making this suggestion? Hmmmm?

A bit too slick and smug for its own good at times but generally a professional and enjoyable drama series for those on the left

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
23 October 2005

A series that follows the daily lives of the elected officials and staffers in the White House doesn't sound like it should be as slick and as enjoyable as this but the West Wing consistently managed to pull it off. I say managed because, thanks to the limited availability of digital services in the UK, despite the fact that this was broadcast on terrestrial at first, it because subscription only for one series and now that it is back on a widely available channel I find that I have missed a whole series and am now struggling to get back into it years later. Plus the latest series (6 I think?) seems to be lacking somewhat for some reason and not be as good as I remember it being. So for me I think I'll step out of the series now but I leave it with good memories of slickly moving episodes, fast-talking beautiful people and issues galore tackled.

The plot tends to have themes that constantly run while also having specific focuses that perhaps only last for an episode or two. This works pretty well and the pace of delivery also helps. Of course it always was a bit frustrating that the show was a bit of a liberal's wet dream and I always hated the overly sentimental moments where everyone would get all glassy-eyed and the music would swell in a sort of "isn't America great?" sort of way. It only happened once a week at most but it was enough and, since Bush has tightened his grip, WW appear to have been doing it more and more – creating a sort of liberal alternative universe to hide away from the unpleasant reality of American politics. Despite this though, the fast slick delivery has enough in terms of debate and substance to sustain it and I found it to be consistently enjoyable while I watched it.

The cast are strong as well and it was them that drew me to this in the first place. None of them have many opportunities to really delve deep into their characters because, as the delivery is so slick, the focus is more about their jobs and their environments rather than them as real people. To their credit though, the majority of the cast all do well enough to keep the slick commentary moving, deliver enjoyable barbed comments and also make us care about them and understand their characters enough if not that much. Sheen makes a great President (although I guess that depends on your leanings) and he leads the cast well. He is more than ably supported by Spencer, in a more serious role. Lowe, Hill, Schiff, Whitford and others all do well to mix their characters with a sense of the fast talking screwball comedies of the 1930's – they all work well with the narrative but they also provide plenty of good humour that also helps the whole thing move along. The support cast (major and minor roles) all match this sort of delivery and, although nobody is brilliant they all do good jobs and greatly improve the delivery.

Overall an enjoyable series that mixes political commentary with slick delivery and humour to produce an enjoyable drama series if far from a perfect one. Gradually fading with time in my opinion but now that I have been forced by Channel 4 to give it up, I feel that I can look back on an enjoyable couple of years.

i just cant wait for the next series to begin

Author: kingskido from Nigeria
25 July 2005

i love this movie. sometimes, u seem to criticise those in power but when you get to watch a movie like this, it exposes to you a lot of things they go through to keep the country together. it's a tough job making decisions that affect the lives of so many people. and it's tough beign a member of the president's family. sincerely, this is a wonderful movie, educative as well as entertaining. when are we seeing Bob Rowe again? i've missed seeing him. josh can be essentric at times. when is josh going to date Donna? i'm sure they have a thing between them. i do recommend this series to every body especially if you want to understand governance. God job President Bartlet. And where's Zoe? please release season six soonest.

This is the best show on television

Author: evanpesses from United States
10 May 2005

I have seen every episode of this show since its inception, and I still believe it is the greatest show on television. Yes, I think since Aaron Sorkin left the show, the quality has diminished. However, even at this slightly diminished level it still acts as an archetype for a nearly perfect television show. It is funny, it is inspiring, and it rarely gets boring. The characters are unique, dynamic, and incredibly interesting. They make up a family of characters that audiences can relate to and are intrigued by. The filmmakers that are involved with this show are truly masterful and have the rare ability to make a product which encompasses all ranges of humor and drama with great care. The West Wing is a show which can withstand the test of time and will continue to mesmerize audiences for generations.

The best show to ever have existed

Author: James Bruce (fistmonkey@yahoo.com) from United Kingdom
23 April 2005

I am from England, and although well educated I had only a smattering of knowledge regarding American Politics (I knew you could win a two horse race with less than 50% but that's about it). I am at the end of series four, as far as I can purchase on DVD, and I only started watching the West Wing about a six weeks ago. It is the best television show I have ever seen, uplifting and touching at the same time. It is also one of very few programmes aimed only at intelligent audiences. I love the writing style, and the fact that conversations are rarely explained and often not even finished (count how many times in an episode that the next line is said in your head but not on screen). If only we could make everyone in the world watch this programme and take an interest in politics. The writing, acting and directing of the show are top class, and I defy anyone to watch it and not wish that's how the world was actually run. As for the depiction of Republicans, I find that from across the pond the Republicans seem a damn sight nicer on the West Wing than in real life, give the writers a break, they never say Democrats are right, only that they believe they are. Bartlet has never refused good council. I eagerly anticipate the rest of this series. I mean really.. if anyone's got any knock off region 1 DVDs of series 5 and 6 send them to me.