IMDb > "The West Wing" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The West Wing"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The West Wing" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The true White House, and staff

Author: Leah-18
2 October 1999

I couldn't wait to see the new show, The West Wing, so I could see what all the excitement was. Well, now I know. The show is so down to earth about, what the White house is all about, that even people like me had no idea, that the staff in the White House live like regular people.

The second episode, was very touching. Martin Sheen, has always showed feelings for all people. This show is a show that should of been around years ago. The only thing I can really say is...keep showing us what it really is about, in the West Wing. This show, I will not miss.

Commercials have to go. Thank you,

Excellent scriptwriting returns to television

Author: Dej (
27 September 1999

What a pleasure it is to listen to quality dialogue, become involved with authentic characters, and enjoy creative directorial techniques (without the seasickness accompanying the trendy and pointless "jerky" camera moves that mar other worthwhile shows). Hopefully, the exciting promise shown in the debut program will be maintained. To the producers: please support this show and encourage others that are well-written and believable; some of us are tired of smart-aleck phrases being tossed around by shallow caricatures that are packaged as entertainment.

A behind-the-scenes drama about the staff of the White House.

Author: Tony B from Virginia
23 September 1999

This drama (with some humorous overtones) is set in the White House West Wing, where the business of the presidency is conducted. The personal lives of the president's staff are explored, especially how they relate politically to their jobs.

Martin Sheen plays the President, bringing some genuine warmth and esteem to the role.

This show has a similar feels as the movie "The American President".

One of the season's best new shows.

Author: Jenny-58 from Oswego, IL
22 September 1999

Aaron Sorkin has done it again. After "The American President" and "Sports Night," here is another project that's not afraid to show intelligence. The script is brilliant - funny, but containing subtle truths about the faults and merits of the American political system. The cast is exceptional, and the fast-paced tempo makes sure that the viewer keeps thinking. An A+ show.

Author: javmart from usa
17 July 2016

Deluted staff members with a false sense of entitlement who behave in the white house like they did in their bedroom back in their parents home.

Their always, talking, throwing their two cents worth on any topic to showing off their knowledge. It truly gets annoying. just be quite and work.

The press conference is a kiss ass fest of flaterry from the press secretary directed to the room full of reporters.

The Jewish characters are passionate speakers. As educated as they characterized to be they should know better that to think that passion has any weight in an argument. The character Toby is pompous and gets off when being in position of power. The character Josh is an younger immature version of Toby.

Lowe appears to be the only character with manners and decency to work in the white house. Even the president's character is an arrogant know it all with a Napolean complex. He and his wife forget their public servants and behave as though they were royalty. Leo is an angry miserable old man. Just looking at him will turn your mood.

The only realistic aspect of this show is the situation room. Its quick and brief although sometimes unnecessarily poetic. Everything else seems to be overly glorified, dramatized.

I get annoyed hearing the characters constant talking and walking back and forth. It's as though they like the sound of their voice or have a delusion of grandeur and doing so when walking only adds to fuels that false belief.

I can't watch more than 1 minute of this show sometimes. There constant talking annoys me. I think if America didn't have a class system everyone would agree on what needs to be done and no one would have a say in anything that needs to be done and that which needs to get done would get done without saying a word. It would certainly diffuse their discombobulated dynamic of walking and talking back and forth which feeds the characters narcissistic (with the exception of Lowe's character) personality and allows them to get their jollies.

In short, the show is annoying because the characters are annoying.

Some interesting stories, but a bit of a grind at times

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
14 September 2014

Irritatingly preachy, folksy and smug, but has some good stories.

The series started very inauspiciously. Season 1 had some interesting stories and insights into US politics but overly idealistic, preachy, folksy and smug. Production values are not great either: colours are always drab and the people seem to be perpetually working in dim light.

Things got better in Season 2. Much more pragmatic than S1, with better stories and better production values. Very powerful ending.

Still weighed down by being idealistic, smug, folksy and preachy, but these are toned down a bit in this season. Get rid of those, and Toby, and the show would have been fantastic.

Seasons 3 and 4 were the best of the first five seasons. The sanctimonious idealism was dialed down and the season was more about character-based and incident-based stories. Unfortunately, however, Toby was still there, and Sam Seaborn was replaced by the dingbat Will Bailey, second only to Toby in terms of irritation value. I only fully appreciated Sam once Will replaced him.

Season 5 was the season when the writers jumped the shark. Started well enough but it gets quite silly and overly preachy (again) towards the end.

Plus, they killed off one of the best and most likable characters in the series, Admiral Fitzwallace. If they had killed off Toby and Will Bailey instead, it would have been a great season.

In some ways Series 6 and 7 are the most interesting series. They bring the presidency full circle, as we see the campaigning for who is going to be the next president. Less smugness, less folksiness, less Toby, less Will - these are all very good things. We also have Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda acting out of their skins. Alda is so convincing and likable that, even though he is supposed to be the bad guy, you want to vote for him.

It's not all good, however. There are still the preachy, idealistic, naive detours. Plus, seeing a presidential campaign in action reminds me of all the reasons I hate politics: the superficiality, the appearances-are-everything conceit, the pandering to the media, the soundbites for the sake of it, the money spent (wasted), the back-stabbing, the horse-trading.

Plus, the whole campaign and succession seems to drag on and on. After a while, I couldn't wait for it to end.

one of the best television shows. ever

Author: in_no_big_hurry
21 May 2006

i give West Wing a nine out of ten. i know a lot of people have said this, but after Sorkin left the show it was still one of the best shows on TV, but it was no longer clearly the best show on TV. the first four seasons are fantastic. magnificent. entertaining and insightful. from then on, they are very good. that is really the only way to describe it. the show has a superb cast, you look at every main character and think there is no way they could have done a better job, both in casting and in the work the actors themselves do on the show. the direction is great, the editing is great, and the writing (once again, in the first four seasons, though still great afterwords) is the best ever in a dramatic series that i have seen. This show is right up there with Scrubs, The Shield, Arrested Development, 24 and others as the best shows on television in both recent memory and television history. Bradley Whitford, Richard Schiff, Allison Janney, Martin Sheen, Aaron Sorkin, John Spencer and the rest of the team behind "The West Wing" have truly made a show for the ages.

A Must For Everyone With A Pulse!

Author: williamgetshisemail from Dublin, Ireland
30 March 2006

Out of principle i rarely watch American TV shows. Let me set the record straight, it's not that i don't like America, its just that for years, and even to this day, their contribution to TV has been mediocre at best. Every once in awhile however, our friends from across the pond get the recipe right (ER for example, the first 5 seasons are a must for any self respecting DVD collector). The West Wing is a masterpiece of television in every sense. From the writing to the casting, to the direction (even the guy who makes the coffee on set should get a mention because in my view this show can do no wrong).

After viewing the pilot I was addicted, and I now own all 6 DVD box sets. The key premise of the show is nothing new. It is ordinary people (intelligent, witty, caring individuals. What is more normal?) placed in extraordinary situations. It has been the premise of every movie ever made! It is the attention to detail that sets this show apart from its counterparts. It can be argued that the show has taken a downturn after the departure of writer/creator Aaron Sorkin, however, any self-respecting West Wing fan will follow through it through to the end.

It can also be argued that this, the 7th and final, season of the show may provide us, the viewers with a reality check. In Arnold Vinick the writers have created a spanner in the works, a good bad guy if you know what i mean. Here is a character that if he ends up winning we won't feel too bad. In this sense the writers have covered all basis and given themselves a platform from which they can launch a gripping and enticing finale to what has been and still is compelling viewing.

President Jed Bartlett gives you the partial anagram Brad Lt

Author: xbrad68 from SAINT CATHARINES, ONTARIO
2 March 2006

The West Wing is a lot of fun to watch. I like to think that President Jed Bartlett could represent either major Political Party. I have a lot of respect for American Shadow President Jack Kennedy and President George W Bush. Gentlemen the problem with me being told to go to Buffalo New York is that I do not have enough money to stay there long and what kind of Father would I be if I left without my Daughter Julia who is the 19th highest ranking Human in the Universe who represents Peace through conquest of the universe to the Creators of Humans the Care rank Ki Aliens. For America England King Harry V, JFK, QE2 and the Messiah King George the sixth Windsor.

I was disappointed to hear that the West Wing had been cancelled. I thought that Smits character made a good presidential candidate

NBC wanted to get rid of it!

Author: gynsusamatoshi ( from wisconsin
23 January 2006

As every fans knows by now, this series is being canceled. WHY? Quote: "ratings were falling in it's Sunday time slot vs wed.'s" They moved it to Sunday, the ratings started to fall, if they wanted to keep it 1 - they wouldn't have moved it, 2 - having moved it they COULD have moved it back.

Yes, this is/was a good show! Unfortunately, they will probably replace it with another "Law & Order" series or rerun. Do we REALLY need over 8 hours of L & O each week? GIVE US VARIETY!

I suggest that if you liked this show, email NBC and b**** them out for deliberately setting it into a time they knew would cause it to fail in.