IMDb > "The West Wing" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The West Wing"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The West Wing" More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 21: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Overrated

Author: ljbad
26 August 2004

I gave this show a chance; I really wanted to like it, because it was created by Aaron Sorkin, who also created "Sports Night," one of my favorite shows of all time. I've enjoyed a number of episodes somewhat, but I can't help but wonder whether people haven't been fooled into thinking it's better than it is simply because of its ambitious setting. The fast, clever, and occasionally anal-retentive dialog is immediately recognizable from Sorkin's earlier series; but whereas the folks at CSC were just a bunch of twenty- and thirtysomethings producing a cable news show (and could thus be forgiven for spending the bulk of their lives engaged in banter), the people here are supposed to be adults running the entire country - and sometimes I can't help but wish they would just grow up.

Regardless of its faults, I would probably love this show - but I guess I've been spoiled for it. "Sports Night" was a real gem.

The Walton's meet The White House

Author: rose-128
23 January 2004

Having just watched the whole of the 'West Wing' series one for the first time through a recommendation and great acclaim, have I just watched 'The Walton's meet The White House'? Sorry all you advocates of West Wing but after all it's just a soap!

Emmy voters must be liberal

Author: pedroandnomar99 from United States
24 November 2002

This show is pretty good. Way too dramatic at times, and I think we all know that politicians are nothing like this show. This show couldnt be more opposite to the Clinton White House. The Fact that The West Wing has beaten the Practice a couple times for Best Drama proves that Emmy voters are liberal. The Practice is clearly the best show ever.

Neocons Beware!

Author: merylmatt from United States
2 December 2009

Based on the reviews I've seen here, not too many Republicans out there watching this show. The series has a definite left wing leaning, which is fine and a refreshing change from so many hate mongers out there. A little unity, hope, doing what's right (and therefore, unpopular) - it's fiction we know, but oh to dream that we had an administration that could and would do all of those things.

One reason I like the show - they hired one of Clinton's staffer's Dee Dee Myers as a consultant - to give it added realism. Does this show sometimes preach? Yup. Is it lofty? Is the President....Presidential? Yes! I did not start watching the series until 2008. I found it to be such a breath of fresh air from all of the fear mongers, haters and divisive people out there, I was ready for a little Hollywood. So enjoy a well written, funny, moving TV show and escape for a while to a place where smart people make tough choices and sacrifice themselves for the greater good. It does happen sometimes, just not often enough.

Good if you can ignore the liberal agenda

Author: canionamanda from United States
5 October 2014

I have enjoyed watching the series...and it is pretty good if you can get past the liberal agenda. The show is written with a psychotically left tilt and it shows. And the writers see nothing wrong with the blatant condescension that these characters hold for all Americans...and that if you don't immediately fall into to line they will bully/threaten/ and generally grind you under their boot for having an opinion of your own. All this aside, i just enjoy the interaction between characters... I don't know if i would recommend it to anyone though. Overall i liked it, but my husband couldn't stand to watch it for more than a min or two due to the slant given to conservatives.

Fading fast....like Bartlet's health....

Author: garyblack from USA
13 January 2005

"WW" is fading fast, folks.

The idea of replacing the "Bartlet" Administration with the "Santos" Administration, means only one thing...."Fonzie has jumped the shark!" Well, they had a good run!

They should've picked Smits as Veep, instead of setting up poor Gary Cole as a "lummox from Colorado" and then tried to run against him in "another maverick Dem versus the Establishment" ploy.

Reality is being tossed out the window TOTALLY now and it looks like the show is slipping from "Star Trek" "probability" to "Fantasy Island" incredulity.

The West Wing takes itself far too seriously.

Author: Hal Guentert from San Antonio, TX
11 November 2008

"The West Wing" seems to be a "soap opera" that gives the questionable impression that all these very smart (at least in their own minds) people run around playing this game of politics by shooting questions at each other all day long. Unfortunately, it now seems better than a lot of other stuff on TV, however that is not a good thing.

Since this is another one sided version of politics as glamorous, power brokering, with everything working itself out after a lot of twists and turns. The problem is that the view of the White House and Washington is pretty short sighted and there is no real view of the high level of blatant corruption that has existed in Congress since at least the 1960s with LBJ's friends and lobbyists having offices literally in Congressional members offices in the Capitol complex, and President being a puppet instead of a snappy decision maker.

This is an attempt to feed the public a theatrical version of politics that matches their guess of how administrations run. If you believe that the President is allowed to make decisions based on his own whims, it is time to wake up and realize that shows like "The West Wing" and "K Street" are jokes, and next to nothing based on the realistic process. However, with the political TV news shows we have, it is understandable, if discouraging, that many people will buy into this farce as realistic, even some form of documentary.

West Wing Songs?

Author: sdalsip from United States
11 January 2005

Hey, does anyone know what the piece Yo-Yo Ma plays in the second season episode "Noel"? (that's the one where Josh is talking to Stanely about his post traumatic stress disorder after putting his hand through his apartment window) And in the third season opener "Isaac and Ishamael" (that's the post 9/11 episode where Josh is stuck in the mess with the students during a crash of the White House and they talk about terrorism), a song plays during the end credits, does anyone know what it's called and who sings it? Some of the words to the song, I think, are "Hey,now, what's that sound, everybody see what's going down." At the end of the fourth season "College Kids" at a Rock the Vote event someone sings a song that begins "Let us turn our thoughts today to Martin Luther King" Does anyone know the name of that song? Thanks for helping!

Keep this clear...it is liberal

Author: garyblack from USA
5 June 2004

Great show, but it's important to remember that it's not balanced. Yes, there are "less than perfect" Democrats, like VP Bob Russell or John Hoynes, and "less than evil" Republicans like Donna's old boyfriend, Cliff Calley or Ainsley Hayes....but on the issues, the "liberals" are ALWAYS right.

Like the show a lot...but it's important to keep in mind that there IS a propaganda aspect to it.

Sheen is good, but seems to be tiring of the character.

The BEST character is John Spencer's Leo McGarry.

The WORST is Bradley Whitford's Josh Lyman....his ego would eventually rub even his friends the wrong way.

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT

Author: Brandy-28 from Los Angeles
10 May 2001

SPOILER ALERT

I cannot believe that they killed off Ms. Landingham.

She was one of the best people on this show, that is whenever she was feature on the show.

They could of gotten rid of a lot of other people.

Like that new White House Counsel, played by Oliver Platt. I don't like him very much.

I know the whole point of a season finale is to shock people, but why kill off one of the people you have been used to seeing every week. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Page 19 of 21: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]