IMDb > "The West Wing" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The West Wing"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The West Wing" More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 21: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

"TV Heaven"

Author: Mark Slade (Sladey@jacobsladder69.freeserve.co.uk) from Liverpool, England
8 September 2002

Does television get ANY better than this? We in England are only just getting season 3 shown on cable, and not a moment too soon, I might add!! Everything about this top-notch series just oozes CLASS - starting (and ending) with the excellent music themes, from the first rate cast of Martin Sheen, Rob Lowe, the excellent Allison Janney, Richard Schiff, John Spencer and Bradley Whitford to name but a few (and none of whom ever let their standards slip), to the clever and hilarious humour displayed within the scripts (President Bartlet's accidently getting his dosage of back pills wrong in season 1, causing him to talk nonsense, has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen) whilst seriously (and at times, extremely poignantly) addressing the issues of the modern era, and taking in the personal lives and relationships of the White House staff. Aaron Sorkin can be definitely categorised as a writing and creative genius ("The American President" and "A Few Good Men" just add weight to this argument - and I can only pray that "Sports Night" belatedly finds its way over to the English shores).

Television was invented for programmes of the quality of "The West Wing" - and it's an absolute privilege and pleasure to watch the Bartlet administration in action. This Englishman will be canvassing for Jed to serve a second four year term!!!

This series has no equal.

Author: geja2001 from USA
3 September 2002

Always excellent, West Wing is the best program ever, and I second the praise already given by other faithful viewers. Martin Sheen as Jeb Bartlett portrays the ideal president; at times his compassion outshines his brilliance. His sense of humor more than makes up for his grumpiness. I like Aaron Sorkin's giving this character extraordinary knowledge and endearing arrogance. Rob Lowe/Sam Seaborn will be missed; however, those rather silly responses he uttered will not be. I am hoping that the decision not to "kill him off" means an option to return to West Wing. Sheen is superb in this role as in all others (except "The Maid"). My favorite episode is the one selected by other fans as number one -- the Arlington burial of the homeless veteran while the children's choir sings to the president and his staff. I taped every episode, but I am still waiting for a boxed set to go on sale. Thanks to the production company for this worthwhile series. For Martin Sheen fans, be sure to see "The Execution of (Private) Eddie Slovik." I still recall the first time my husband and I viewed this in 1974. His frantic recitation of the rosary is chilling, and Sheen and this film deserved Emmy awards. I still cannot get over their not winning.

Utterly incredible.

Author: Hope Wilson (lalin44@hotmail.com) from Novato, California
12 August 2002

The West Wing is a show of amazing depth and wit, sometimes flippant, sometimes intense, sometimes moving, and always the most intelligent show in television.

Aaron Sorkin, who created the show and now writes many of the episodes, is a genius with writing. His dialogue has a certain music, and whatever it is, it's fast-paced. The show is a joy to watch multiple times, if only because you hear things you missed the first time through. The show is almost always relevant (due more than in part to Sorkin's writing on the fly - he has very few plotlines established in his mind. Even President Bartlet's MS occurred because Sorkin wanted the President to collapse and Dr. Bartlet to have to come rushing back home just before the State of the Union).

The acting is utterly genius. All the actors are unquestionably the best at what they do, and it's impossible to now imagine anyone else in their roles. While all are excellent, Allison Janney as Press Secretary C.J. Cregg stands out. C.J. is the only female member of the senior staff, and as a result, stands out from everyone. Janney portrays C.J.'s frustration and emotional depth perfectly, making her probably the most appealing and three-dimensional character on a show filled with appealing, three-dimensional character.

Critics have called the show the Left Wing; indeed, it has an extremely liberal slant, due mostly to the cast and crew working on it. Nevertheless, it tries to be fair; the characters have been known to jokingly pick on the Democrats from time to time. Even if your politics don't agree with those on the show, you should not be dissuaded from watching it; the show is about the lives of the staffers, not about converting viewers to liberalism.

The West Wing is truly a show that is consistently excellent; it's intelligent, it's meaningful, and it's fast-paced.

Took a while, but I'm hooked.

Author: mrshvd from New Jersey, USA
11 August 2002

A friend in England turned me on to this show, oddly enough. I am most attracted to two things: its controlled chaos, and its rapid-fire dialogue. Watching this series and its characters develop has been most interesting.

The Best Show On Television

Author: Lisa from Ohio
17 April 2002

Out of every television drama I have seen, "The West Wing" beats them all. It is so realistic to that of the real White House and yet it manages to have drama and humor mixed together. Aaron Sorkin is a true genius. The show is so eloquently written and acted out. Each actor has his or her own unique quality, making the characters perfect for them. I commend Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme for writing and directing such a wonderful show.

Wonderful

Author: R1OT from USA
22 August 2001

I can honestly say, without any reservations, that "The West Wing" is the greatest television event in my 31-year lifetime. I have never been so happy about a television show, and I look forward to sitting on my couch each and every Wednesday evening from 9-10pm.

This show moves me in so many ways. The acting is top-notch, the writing is second to none, and the drama leaves me wanting more.

Its eighteen 2001 Emmy nominations should tell you something about the people behind this masterpiece. As long as "The West Wing" airs on television, my Wednesday evenings are carved in stone.

BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT

Author: Steven Moar from Edinburgh, Scotland
19 August 2001

Need I say any more.

I enjoyed this wonderful show so much that by the time the final episode of season one was shown on Channel 4 and they had announced that the second season would be starting the following week on the digital subscription channel 'E4' before getting shown on regular terrestrial again on Channel 4 next January.

I was so hooked I went straight out and bought a pre-paid 'ON Digital' set top box in order that my West Wing viewing was uninterrupted. Getting 'E4' also had the bonus of the new series of the Sopranos as well but it was the West Wing that made it worthwhile.

My only regret is that when the first season was first shown on Digital/satellite/cable on Sky One in Jan 2000, I didn't get into it then and therefore deprived myself on a whole years-worth of smug self contentment in knowing that I was a fan of one of the best TV shows EVER!

Genuinely the best US drama on British screens at the moment, involving, funny, dramatic and uplifting - The White House as I'm sure we, and most Americans, would like it to be!

"The West Wing" Has Made Wednesday Must-See TV!

Author: jhind
10 May 2001

With the addition of "Ed" in the early winter months of 2001, Wednesday night is the best night of television. With "The West Wing" as the night's anchor, I cannot help but look forward to NBC on Wednesdays to watch "Ed" and "Law and Order".

"The West Wing" is so well-written, well-acted, and well-directed that this puts all other shows to shame. The only other dramas I can think of that are currently on TV now that come close to achieving what "West Wing" has done are "ER", "The Practice", and "The Sopranos." I know very little about politics and I don't care for it much, but because of the reasons listed above, I am totally hooked on "The West Wing."

Now, if only NBC could get more shows like this on the air!

Good if you can ignore the liberal agenda

Author: Skekz from United States
5 October 2014

I have enjoyed watching the series...and it is pretty good if you can get past the liberal agenda. The show is written with a psychotically left tilt and it shows. And the writers see nothing wrong with the blatant condescension that these characters hold for all Americans...and that if you don't immediately fall into to line they will bully/threaten/ and generally grind you under their boot for having an opinion of your own. All this aside, i just enjoy the interaction between characters... I don't know if i would recommend it to anyone though. Overall i liked it, but my husband couldn't stand to watch it for more than a min or two due to the slant given to conservatives.

Fading fast....like Bartlet's health....

Author: garyblack from USA
13 January 2005

"WW" is fading fast, folks.

The idea of replacing the "Bartlet" Administration with the "Santos" Administration, means only one thing...."Fonzie has jumped the shark!" Well, they had a good run!

They should've picked Smits as Veep, instead of setting up poor Gary Cole as a "lummox from Colorado" and then tried to run against him in "another maverick Dem versus the Establishment" ploy.

Reality is being tossed out the window TOTALLY now and it looks like the show is slipping from "Star Trek" "probability" to "Fantasy Island" incredulity.

Page 19 of 21: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]