IMDb > "The West Wing" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The West Wing"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The West Wing" More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 21: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Totally excellent!

Author: paulinewainwright from United Kingdom
17 August 2006

Back in 1999 I watched the first couple of episodes and gave up because they all talked too fast and I had no idea who everyone was! But earlier this year I bought the DVD set of the 6 seasons, and have played them over and over again, because once I got into it all, I was hooked! And Friday night this year was sacrosanct while I watched the 7th season on British TV. Jed and Abbey Bartlet, Leo McGarry, Josh Lyman, Toby Ziegler, CJ Cregg and Charlie Young are such believable and individual characters, all with their own strengths and weaknesses, I have nothing but admiration for the actors who played them so convincingly. I have seen Martin Sheen in many film roles, but this must be the one he will (rightly) be remembered for, he was born for this character! The highlights of this series are way too many to mention, but Sheen's cursing of God in 'Two Cathedrals' has to be one of the most dramatic and memorable moments of the whole series.

A pure definition of must-see TV!

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
26 July 2006

"THE WEST WING," in my opinion, is a pure definition of must-see TV! Despite the fact that I've never seen every episode, I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which episode is my favorite. However, I get a kind of funny feeling in my stomach whenever a world crisis occurs. As a matter of fact, I think just about every single episode I've seen is touching. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the costumes are well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, even though it can be seen in syndication now, I strongly recommend you catch it just in case it goes off the air for good.

3 reasons to watch "The West WIng"

Author: hogu from Canada
23 July 2006

There are many reasons why "The West Wing" is my favorite show ever, in fact there are far to many to explain here but I'll try.

1) Believable Characters: Far too often the characters that are on television today are portrayed as always having the correct answer to any moral dilemma that crosses their path and they have even the most complex of situations successfully resolved within a half an hour.

This is simply not the case in "The West Wing" these characters have to deal with serious moral dilemmas including weather or not to bail out an economically struggling country in a time of crisis, and dealing with the emotional/psychological aftermath of the death of a loved one.

2) Great Values: So many of the characters of "The West Wing" exhibitor exceptional morals and good value systems. These characters are typically loyal, brave, honest, funny, and if someone is hurting someone that they count as a friend in any way they close ranks and eliminate the problem.

3) Character Driven Drama: As a result of all the characters on "The West Wing" being so complex the possible story lines are nearly endless. Honestly if the network had not cancelled the show so prematurely there is a good chance that it may be entertaining people for years to come.

Seven Seasons of Entertainment - with a capital "E"!

Author: drumpotvin from Canada
23 July 2006

The West Wing, being this TV series based on the lives and daily work and interactions of the executive branch of the US Government (White House) is well rendered in its authenticity! Everything in there has a base in reality, every factoid, trivia, historical information, and procedure is genuine and based on reality. I believe this is one of the most entertaining AND educative show that exists today. Most people just watch TV (or the DVD collections) for entertainment, but I do something else when I do: I "google" each and every bit of trivia mentioned during every episode and I keep learning a lot. I'm pretty sure that every social studies and politics classes could benefit from watching The West Wing and analyzing whatever point of interest is underlined in any given episode - whether political, procedural, or historical.

Aaron Sorkin did well in selecting the settings and the characters; the descendant and namesake of one of the founding fathers as the President, staffers from Illinois, Connecticut, New York, Ohio, and California, a VP from Texas, makes for a good representation from all geographic zones of the United States (East Coast, Mid-West, South, West-Coast), presenting fictional events that... "resemble", - for lack of a better word - events in real life makes us identify the plot to something we're kind of familiar with (and grabs our attention), etc... and I'm probably missing a few more arguments in its favor!

Two terms, from the beginning of the first term, through an assassination attempt, through re-elections, through several national crises, through a kidnapping, through a VP resignation, through a bombing followed by a peace settlement, through an MS attack during a summit, through Josh repeating what Leo did 8 years before, which is finding the right candidate, getting him to run, getting him nominated and getting him elected! Ending with the whole process of a new family moving into the White House, and everything that involves this event! A beautiful loop, from the beginning to another beginning! I'm on my 16th time watching all 6 seasons all over again, in preparations to my getting the Season 7 collection! So, rent it, buy it, borrow it, (I'd say "copy it", but don't do that, it's illegal!!!), but at least watch it at least once with 100% of your attention focused on it - it's ABSOLUTELY worth the time and money!

Signed: A Canadian West Wing fan (If I were American, I'd be a Democrat)

Watch it. You wont regret it.

Author: l_toomer from York, UK
8 June 2006

I came to West Wing very late, which meant I got to watch them all in a row. However, watching the last season on TV has been pure torture. This is one of the greatest shows ever written. The acting is perfect, the sets are stunning and the writing is flawless. I recommend this show to anyone because it is the first show I have ever seen that has literally had me stood up cheering in my living room, alone. Then in the very next scene has had me curled up in a chair crying. It has some of the best one liners I have ever heard and believe me they really move you. Whether it be to cheer, cry or laugh. This show has everything you could want. Watch it. You wont regret it.

The final episode of the west wing

Author: chris_rogers from United States
15 May 2006

I wish The West Wing didn't go off the air. but however, since the show went off, then, my favorite part of the finale, was when president Bartlett opened the present from Leo's daughter and found the napkin. that's only one of my favorite moments from the show. Another one of my favorite moments, is from season 1 when one of the White House workers said, "I'm working with some of the smartest people in Washington." And at that point, Josh went to sit down, and there was no chair there, so he fell to the floor. Another moment that I love, is when in the pilot episode, CJ announces that the President suffered a minor sprain when he crashed into a tree on his bicycle, and presented pictures and said, "included you'll see a picture of him refusing help from a secret service agent and then falling down again."

Simply Put - This Is The Greatest Television Show In American History

Author: Captain_America from United States
11 May 2006

This is i believe the greatest television show ever. It is amazingly written. I've watched every nite since about the third season or so. And considering I'm 16 that says something..when i was twelve a political drama was my favorite show. After that i got the first two seasons on DVD and by now I've seen every episode at least twice. There really is no other show that compares to the writing aaron sorkin did with this. Now i admit it wasn't the same after he left, but still by far is my favorite show, even as it concludes it run.There were a lot of outstanding episodes, everyone of them is in fact amazing. But my personal favorites are two cathedrals, and twenty hours in America. Both were superb.

Commander in Chief instead of West Wing? I think not.

Author: tnbernie from United States
1 May 2006

After seeing the latest episode of The West Wing, I'm even more heartbroken that the series has been canceled. You've set up story lines that would enthrall fans for at least another year. I'll never understand why you've left us to the mercy of Commander In Chief, which is to West Wing as dog poop is to caviar.

Allison Janney as C.J. has developed her credibility as Chief of Staff to the extent that she would be a plausible and terrific Vice President. An assassination would put her in the presidency and I must say, the writers for this show could explore the issue of a woman president with so much more depth than the Commander In Chief writers seem to be able to handle.

What a HUGE disappointment it is to lose The West Wing. I think I'll give away my TV set.

On Beyond West Wing

Author: rjsodaro from United States
30 January 2006

Well, It is official. This is the West Wing's last season. I know that I'll miss it, as I'm sure that others will as well. I do wonder, however, how many of us will go over to that "other" Oval Office drama, Commander In Chief. It is on this note that I'd like to speculate how much fun it will be if, after Bartlet leaves office, CiC stages a stunt-casting coup by scheduling a Sweeps Week appearance by former Commander in Chief, Martin Sheen as, yep, former President, Josiah Bartlet.

Wouldn't it be cool? Well apparently this blogger (http://cuppacafe.com/the-%e2%80%9cnext%e2%80%9d-west-wing/417/) seems to think so, and so do I.

Too good to be true.

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
28 December 2005

My summary line comes from the fact that,after watching a number of these episodes(much of them in reruns),I've come to basically two conclusions:

One,that this show is so brilliantly written and sharp that one who doesn't get immersed into this show completely(and sometimes that's hard NOT to do,I must confess) will find themselves going "Oh,come on!" after watching this. I,for one,cannot imagine everyone,from the President on down to the lowliest page or low-level White House staffer is able to fire off such witty,incisive and funny banter on a regular basis,high offices of government or no. It's almost as bad as the one-liner-fest that is the original Law and Order and

Two,that when you size up this White HOuse,full of chatty,constantly debating and always pregnable to criticism and dissent cabinet and staff-members and headed by a thoughtful and literarily voracious Commander in Chief against our real life current administration(or,for that matter,the previous administration),one will probably be heartbroken or about reduced to tears.

HAving said all of that,this show is a strong contribution to television. Thoughtful,smart and sometimes funny as well as well-acted. If one wants to watch fiction that gives intelligent examination of the most powerful office in the nation and world,one need look no further than here.