IMDb > Riding in Cars with Boys (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Real life is brutal.

Author: Dan Aldridge from Denver, CO, USA
1 January 2003

I admit that I watched this movie for the most frivolous of reasons: I liked Brittany Murphy's performance in the trailer ("My daughta's a tramp!"). I really never cared for Drew Barrymore, before. However, my opinion of her has changed. Drew put in an INCREDIBLE performance in this movie. She really nailed it. In fact, all of the actors gave commendable performances. I was so moved that I was quite uncomfortable for much of the movie. The pain that was portrayed was so real that I almost regretted purchasing what I thought was supposed to be a comedy. I'm glad I got through it - and an hour later I'm still stunned by what I saw. This movie is well worth seeing.

Perhaps the reviewers who hated it don't understand that you can be repulsed by another person's behavior, but you don't have to agree with them. You don't have to accept their morals (or lack thereof) in order to recognize what they are going through. And perhaps in seeing these roles acted out, you will see someone you know who has touched your life. Perhaps you'll even see yourself. I profess to have high moral standards, but I was not offended by this movie. I just felt very sad. I've known people like these characters. I don't feel that they were trying to justify their decisions.

They were just telling a story. I also think that this movie was a kind of therapy for Beverly, who is standing up, triumphantly, shouting, "I went through a lot of crap and I made it!"

Sure the viewer gets beaten up by this movie, but in a respectful way.

This isn't a fairy tale. This is a story about real life. And real life is brutal.

A great way to learn about life.

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
4 July 2006

It's a shame that this movie can't be shown in high schools, as an educational video. It would certainly serve a terrific purpose, of how one small mistake can change the rest of your life forever.

Beverly (Barrymore), at fifteen, falls in love with the quarterback of the football team. She decides one night at a party to show her love to him, by presenting him with a poem, she's written for him. Unfortunately, being as naive as she is, she presents it to him, in front of all of his friends, where she is then made fun of. Feeling sorry for herself, and very hurt, she runs upstairs to the bathroom, in the house where the party is taking place, crying. There, she meets the man she will soon fall for, and give herself to, for the very first time. However, this boy is not the boy she wants to marry, but is forced to, by her parents, because she is now pregnant. At fifteen, and married, she is now faced with a new life, and new responsibilities. The movie circles around this new life, and how she is able to overcome so much, with so very little. Her deadbeat husband, small and poor home, young child to raise, and at time hopeless future, all gang up on her, while she tries to overcome all of it. Her dreams are not unrealistic, but rather unreachable because of all the problems and mishaps that happen throughout the next fifteen years of her life.

It's poignant, sweet, funny and honest. There is not one person who will watch this, and not relate to at least one thing from the story. Although it may take place in the 1960s-80s, it's still very true to life, and understandable.

I would recommend it to anyone, and hope that everyone will see the power of a message this film holds. It's really an amazing true story, and there aren't many like this out there.

I never get tired of watching this movie

Author: (leeta_98@yahoo.com) from Cambridge, MA
21 March 2003

I have seen this movie more times than I can count! Whenever it is on cable, I watch it and I have purchase the CD as well. As an only child of a single mother, I can relate to what Jason felt as a child. As an adult now, I can relate to the challenges that Beverly must have faced. Drew Barrymore is amazing and believable. The actors who played Jason at various points in his life added so much comedy to the movie. Some of my favorite scenes are with Drew and the real-life brothers who portrayed 4 and 7-year old Jason. I admire Drew so much for putting her heart and soul into this movie--a real movie that explores the sometimes complex relationship between children and their mothers.

A Funny Yet Sad Movie.

Author: movies2u from United States
19 April 2002

This movie is about Beverly Donofrio (Drew Barrymore) who's life is messed up when she gets pregnant from Ray Hasek (Steve Zahn). Now, Bev's life is turned upside down. She tries to get through the hard time while her best friend Fay (Brittany Murphy) sticks by her side. Her mother (Lorraine Bracco) and Father (James Woods) are very disappointed in her, and now she has decided to marry Ray. Sit back and listen to Beverly tell the story of her troubled life, where she finally found peace.

This was a great movie. It was really sad too. This was a good girl's movie, but also would be enjoyable to guys like me. I give Riding In Cars With Boys an 8 out of 10! :)

Surprisingly Good 7/10

Author: The_Wood from United States
8 April 2002

Riding in Cars with Boys is definitely a step into a new direction for actress Drew Barrymore. Drew, in her most difficult role to date, tries and succeeds through the majority of the movie. There are times when she goes a little out of bounds, and becomes outrageous -- but for the most part, she nails the part.

The film tells its story nicely, and has a strange and some-what heartbreaking ending. Steve Zahn is easily the high-point of this film. Zahn's character will be the one you think about the most when this film ends.

Riding in Cars with Boys works on enough levels to make it worth seeing.

Funny, touching, and full of the spark of life

Author: xorys (xorys@idirect.ca) from Toronto, Canada
14 March 2003

I put off watching this for a long while, until well after its release on video, because of the very mixed reviews it got and the perception that the content was drab and potentially preachy. Well I was wrong. This is an excellent movie, well worth the expenditure of two hours of anyone's time (well... unless maybe you've only got 24 hours to live, or something). Although the subject matter may sound dour, and certainly does deal with "kitchen sink" issues which can strangle the human spirit without even allowing it the luxury of looking heroic as it succumbs... still the film is about life, not about defeat, and the characters never lose an inner spark and humanity which makes us care about them, and like, or even love them by the time the movie finishes. It's funny and moving... and in a way which seems to have more to do with the way life is funny and moving than with movie conventions.

Very Interesting and Moving

Author: Theresa from United States
30 October 2005

I cried all the way through the movie - the drama and plot were well developed and the surface plot was anything but shallow. Barrymore played a different role from her normal persona, but it was definitely a success for her. The movie is told mostly in flashbacks, and is a little confusing at first. As the plot continues things start to fit into place, and you can't stop watching the screen. Murphey definitely stuck out in this movie too. Her personality bubbled off the screen, and she brought what little humor there was to the movie. I wouldn't classify it as a comedy, but it is a movie that I'd want to see again and again. I recommend it to anyone who is in the mood for a good drama.

If you want the depressing truth, read the book - otherwise a GREAT movie!

Author: moviewatcher2010 from U.S.A.
5 January 2005

While not belaboring this entire string of comments, I was glad that a couple of people have already mentioned about getting the truth from the book, as opposed to this movie.

The movie itself is excellent and will keep you glued to your seat. Drew Barrymore did a phenomenal job in her portrayal of Beverly Donofrio, as Beverly is depicted in the film meaning how the storyline was written - and it is definitely a story, but an enjoyable one nevertheless.

I could barely find any similarities however between what took place in the movie and what actually happened to Beverly in real life. Had they produced the movie as the book was written, it would have been a much more intense drama with tons of sex, drugs and rock and roll, literally. Beverly Donofrio as depicted in the movie is nothing short of a Miss Goody Two Shoes compared to how Beverly actually was. But had the producers gone this route, it would have been very depressing to see.

Real life is not a dream but hardship,pain and only sometimes filled with moments of happiness

Author: patilinet adrian (sorinpsg@spinfinder.com) from bucharest romania
21 November 2004

A great movie in my opinion,not the usual melodrama-stuff,as some might believe reading just the plot.

The story of Beverly and Ray could be that of anyone of us.

Their marriage enforced by her pregnancy and consequently due to unwritten rules of puritanism governing a small Connecticut community,brought together two rather unexperienced and immature teens. Her behaviour after giving birth to Jason,conflicts to a certain extent to that of a normal mother.But was she a normal mother? We need to understand her! This pregnancy linked her to a unwanted man and brought life unexpectedly to a child.It blocked her dreams of going to high school and college,so her behaviour is justified to a certain extent.

Two scenes,at the end,I consider as masterpieces.

First her meeting together with the grown-up son at Ray's house,after years of separation,finding there a still drug addicted person,physically and even mentally finished.Ray feels guilty for all pain inflicted to her,but the only thing he can do now is to sign that paper authorizing her to publish the story of their life.

Secondly the scene of Beverly and Josua reunited as mother and son for a short while,embracing near Ray's house,before going each one a separate way.Josua to his beloved,she calling her father to catch her up with the car and go to home of her parents.

The last scene is particularly moving,father and daughter driving home in the car,sing that lovely song "Dreams".This might be bout all the unfulfilled dreams of her life,or perhaps an illusion that all her hardships were nothing else than a dream.No dreams whatever,all she lived was true life.And this was a serene,nice end ,after so much drama unfolding in her life!

I enjoyed this ride

Author: sajeeva sinniah from Sri Lanka
20 September 2004

Based on the life of Beverly Donoforio, and the book with the same title,this movie was phenomenal. The 'feel good' feeling that this movie is gifted with, makes this movie a top notch drama/comedy.

This will undoubtedly be Drew Barrymoe's greatest performances. Her performance as Beverly seemed as if she was just born to play it. The way her voice, sweetness and personality blended with the character, seemed as if Drew was playing herself and not Beverly. Brittany Murphy gives a solid performance as Faye- Beverly's best friend. This movie had a great cast including Steve Zahn- who was outstanding as Ray- Beverly's drug taking husband, Adam Garcia, Maggie Gyllenhaal, James Woods, and Peter Facinelli- who all gave unforgettable heart warming performances.

The make up is also another reason for watching this- teenage,middle aged and older Beverly are all played by Drew, and it looks natural- it's same with Ray. The humour in this movie along with its drama, make this a must see for everyone. A good production.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]