IMDb > Love, Honor and Obey (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Love, Honour and Obey

Love, Honor and Obey More at IMDbPro »Love, Honour and Obey (original title)

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

An under-appreciated comic gem

Author: margot from new york city
8 July 2001

This film opened in London in April 2000 and was roundly panned as inept and self-indulgent. The 'Time Out' reviewer professed annoyance at the script's instant-classic nonsense line: 'Don't mac me off like a two-bob,' a imaginary bit of Sarf London street jargon. But the film's Jabberwocky dialogue is an essential part of its charm. It's a takeoff on cockney gangster films (Raymond Creed, head wideboy, is loosely modeled on Reg Kray, and is even mistakenly called 'Kray' in the DVD subtitling) and the violence is about as fearsome as that of a Roadrunner cartoon.

The best bits are tasteless and edgy, and certainly not everyone's cup of tea. A pathetic fat little hanger-on (Fat Alan) is forever being stabbed, clubbed, and tortured, or force-fed microdot LSD and made to eat dogfood. Another whingy gang member is chronically impotent and always being offered 'helpful' sexual advice from his colleague, who explains at one point how erections are caused by the penis bone being thrust forward from the spinal column during a state of sexual excitement.

Don't listen to them!!!!!!! Do not miss this movie!!!!!!

Author: dazyrs from United Kingdom
1 February 2007

I seriously don't understand some of the people who comment on this site.

THIS FILM IS AN ABSOULUTE 24 CARROT GOLD ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION.

This is my first comment on this site and I simply couldn't read the garbage written about this film without saying something.

This is one of my all time favourite films. The characters are superb and some of the scenes are just pure comic genius.

MAY I REMIND EVERYONE WHO DOES'NT KNOW.....This movie was all done ad-libbing, on the spot with a very loose script. And the single greatest thing about this film is that 90% of the humour is on the spur of the moment. When Ray and the gang are laughing.......THEY REALLY ARE LAUGHING.

Anyone who didn't enjoy the the comedy in the shootout scene in this movie doesn't possess a sense of humour. Simple as that.

AWESOME MOVIE Don't let any of these 90 year old, Pride and Prejudice loving fools tell you any different.

P.S.....never read ratings on this site BEFORE watching a movie, only AFTER. I have nearly been put off watching some right gems because of bad scores on IMDb. On the other end of the scale, I have watched some right tripe with scores of 10/10.....A mistake I will no longer make.

Call me shallow, but I love it...

Author: jschoenweiler from Tiburon, CA
28 July 2004

Contrary to the other reviewer, I end the film wanting to add it to my collection. This movie has most of the elements of my favorite films, which sometimes include a bit of fun, self-indulgence, glam and humor. Oh, did I fail to mention gratuitous violence (ala the Catholic school girl from Kill Bill or the James Gandolfini scene in True Romance)? Jude Law makes me smile throughout the film, I see what he saw in Sadie Frost, and I must say Ray Winstone (Sexy Beast) is by far my favorite British mafioso. Great performances by Kathy Burke (Sid and Nancy), and Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill). The gang from The Sopranos never had this much fun. Someone else watch this movie, so I can find out if I'm crazy....no one appreciated Very Bad Things but me! :)

Absolutely brilliant movie

Author: evie-16 from Spain
3 April 2006

I borrowed this movie off of a friend and me and my husband thought it was the best movie we had seen in ages. We really enjoyed the whole movie. It was hilarious,the characters were fantastic and they all played really good parts. I would recommend this movie to anyone with a sense of humor,who likes a good laugh. we have watched this movie three times so far and every time we watch it we laugh even more at the things we didn't notice the time before. The script was well written and well acted. Well done to all the cast. Whoever got all these great actors together well done to you too, as we think the combination was excellent. Thanks for the great entertainment. Brilliant!

Much more fun than I expected

Author: jk-89 from London
24 November 2004

I seem to remember this film was not very well received when it was released in Britain, some critics loved it, most didn't. After Lock Stock there was a sudden spate of 'mockney'gangster films and this, very unfairly, was lumped in with the also rans. Its actually a lot of fun, the cast is excellent, (Has Ray Winstone ever given a bad performance?) the script is funny, and the pace never flags. Special mention must be made of the karaoke scenes in which all the cast sing for real, everyone acquits themselves well with special mentions to Sean Pertwee and Johnny Lee Miller (singing one of my all time favourites 'Avenues and Alleyways') If you enjoy gangster films or are fans of any of the the cast then this is a must see movie.

The perfect example

Author: yougallaghers from London, England
24 June 2004

This film was brilliant, although it is capable of having a wide appreciation you need to be British and from London and adjoining areas to really 'get' it. Fans of 'Operation Good Guys' will especially enjoy the humour as I did. The actors are all themselves very good - imitating characters you know in your own lives. It made me cry with laughter in some areas. The areas other people have commented as amateurish are examples of where the actors have 'camped up' ridiculous characters and that's the humour of it all. Unfortunately these sorts of films don't often get made. Really the perfect example of London Humour.

I was quite surprised...

Author: izx from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
25 July 2003

This was actually a very worthwhile film. I didn't know what to expect and was glad I paid the $2.10 to see this movie. Colorful characters fill the screen in every scene. At first I was caught off guard, not knowing this was a dark comedy...but I just found myself laughing too damn much. At first the film seemed to be sort of pointless, like a Lock Stock rip off. It matured into something very different, however. Whatever you do, watch the entire movie. You won't be let down. Great acting from Ray Winstone, Sean Pertwee, Jonny Miller and, of course, Jude Law.

I can watch this, again and again

Author: rikaitch
24 January 2007

From personal experience, I can understand the escalation of violence in the underworld of a large city like London. This film is a superb concise representation as such, but even more of a bonus is the humour that goes with it. Yes it can be childish, just like a Roadrunner cartoon or Tom and Jerry, but does that make it a bad thing? I think not. As for acting, considering the backgrounds of a lot of the actors, it's exceptionally well done. Note how almost all the characters have the same first names as their characters, which in turn makes it easier to keep up with. Some genuinely disturbing and violent scenes also add to the bitter-sweet mix, and possibly one of my all time favourite action scenes with a mass shoot out really get the adrenaline going.

All in all, if you get the chance to see it, do. It's a great "unheard" of film history, certainly up there with Lock Stock or Snatch.

Hilarious from the opening titles!!

Author: Maccus from Warwickshire, England
1 July 2001

From the hilarious opening karaoke sequence (which I can and will watch again and again) I found myself enjoying this film immensely. Although at times disjointed the laughs came thick and fast as visual and verbal jokes flew around. The sex and violence was always played for laughs and often just suggested rather than displayed in gory detail. Just thinking of the blow up doll, the erect arabs and 'say something in Italian' still makes me laugh (now you need to watch to find out what I'm talking about).The many karaoke scenes in the film were occasionally over-indulgent but still good fun especially Elvis.

As for the ending being described by some as 'too serious' - how can this fancy dress scene be anything but out and out comedy?

Don't expect a cinematic gangster masterpiece - this is purely good fun and although not as clever and twisting as Lock, Stock it will stick in my mind for a long time. To Anciano and Burdis I say "more of this please or I'll throw you in the river!"

a good gangster film with a good dollop of humuor

Author: tony curtis (tony@curtis7809.fsworld.co.uk) from nottingham england
19 September 2003

being a fan of brit fliks i thought i gotta give this one an airing (the fact that ray winstone is in it helped) and i do beleive that this is a classic. funny not over violent and a cracking storyline. and the fact that the majority of the actors use their real names was i thought a nice touch. produced and directed by dominic anciano and ray burdis (who both produced the krays). this film is of the classic brit gangster genre and long may it continue.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]