IMDb > Love, Honor and Obey (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Love, Honour and Obey

Love, Honor and Obey More at IMDbPro »Love, Honour and Obey (original title)

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

An under-appreciated comic gem

Author: margot from new york city
8 July 2001

This film opened in London in April 2000 and was roundly panned as inept and self-indulgent. The 'Time Out' reviewer professed annoyance at the script's instant-classic nonsense line: 'Don't mac me off like a two-bob,' a imaginary bit of Sarf London street jargon. But the film's Jabberwocky dialogue is an essential part of its charm. It's a takeoff on cockney gangster films (Raymond Creed, head wideboy, is loosely modeled on Reg Kray, and is even mistakenly called 'Kray' in the DVD subtitling) and the violence is about as fearsome as that of a Roadrunner cartoon.

The best bits are tasteless and edgy, and certainly not everyone's cup of tea. A pathetic fat little hanger-on (Fat Alan) is forever being stabbed, clubbed, and tortured, or force-fed microdot LSD and made to eat dogfood. Another whingy gang member is chronically impotent and always being offered 'helpful' sexual advice from his colleague, who explains at one point how erections are caused by the penis bone being thrust forward from the spinal column during a state of sexual excitement.

Don't listen to them!!!!!!! Do not miss this movie!!!!!!

Author: dazyrs from United Kingdom
1 February 2007

I seriously don't understand some of the people who comment on this site.

THIS FILM IS AN ABSOULUTE 24 CARROT GOLD ADDITION TO YOUR COLLECTION.

This is my first comment on this site and I simply couldn't read the garbage written about this film without saying something.

This is one of my all time favourite films. The characters are superb and some of the scenes are just pure comic genius.

MAY I REMIND EVERYONE WHO DOES'NT KNOW.....This movie was all done ad-libbing, on the spot with a very loose script. And the single greatest thing about this film is that 90% of the humour is on the spur of the moment. When Ray and the gang are laughing.......THEY REALLY ARE LAUGHING.

Anyone who didn't enjoy the the comedy in the shootout scene in this movie doesn't possess a sense of humour. Simple as that.

AWESOME MOVIE Don't let any of these 90 year old, Pride and Prejudice loving fools tell you any different.

P.S.....never read ratings on this site BEFORE watching a movie, only AFTER. I have nearly been put off watching some right gems because of bad scores on IMDb. On the other end of the scale, I have watched some right tripe with scores of 10/10.....A mistake I will no longer make.

Call me shallow, but I love it...

Author: jschoenweiler from Tiburon, CA
28 July 2004

Contrary to the other reviewer, I end the film wanting to add it to my collection. This movie has most of the elements of my favorite films, which sometimes include a bit of fun, self-indulgence, glam and humor. Oh, did I fail to mention gratuitous violence (ala the Catholic school girl from Kill Bill or the James Gandolfini scene in True Romance)? Jude Law makes me smile throughout the film, I see what he saw in Sadie Frost, and I must say Ray Winstone (Sexy Beast) is by far my favorite British mafioso. Great performances by Kathy Burke (Sid and Nancy), and Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill). The gang from The Sopranos never had this much fun. Someone else watch this movie, so I can find out if I'm crazy....no one appreciated Very Bad Things but me! :)

Absolutely brilliant movie

Author: evie-16 from Spain
3 April 2006

I borrowed this movie off of a friend and me and my husband thought it was the best movie we had seen in ages. We really enjoyed the whole movie. It was hilarious,the characters were fantastic and they all played really good parts. I would recommend this movie to anyone with a sense of humor,who likes a good laugh. we have watched this movie three times so far and every time we watch it we laugh even more at the things we didn't notice the time before. The script was well written and well acted. Well done to all the cast. Whoever got all these great actors together well done to you too, as we think the combination was excellent. Thanks for the great entertainment. Brilliant!

Much more fun than I expected

Author: jk-89 from London
24 November 2004

I seem to remember this film was not very well received when it was released in Britain, some critics loved it, most didn't. After Lock Stock there was a sudden spate of 'mockney'gangster films and this, very unfairly, was lumped in with the also rans. Its actually a lot of fun, the cast is excellent, (Has Ray Winstone ever given a bad performance?) the script is funny, and the pace never flags. Special mention must be made of the karaoke scenes in which all the cast sing for real, everyone acquits themselves well with special mentions to Sean Pertwee and Johnny Lee Miller (singing one of my all time favourites 'Avenues and Alleyways') If you enjoy gangster films or are fans of any of the the cast then this is a must see movie.

The perfect example

Author: yougallaghers from London, England
24 June 2004

This film was brilliant, although it is capable of having a wide appreciation you need to be British and from London and adjoining areas to really 'get' it. Fans of 'Operation Good Guys' will especially enjoy the humour as I did. The actors are all themselves very good - imitating characters you know in your own lives. It made me cry with laughter in some areas. The areas other people have commented as amateurish are examples of where the actors have 'camped up' ridiculous characters and that's the humour of it all. Unfortunately these sorts of films don't often get made. Really the perfect example of London Humour.

Funny gangster films that does not rely on blood and violence to make it work

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
23 November 2006

This film is about a man in London getting involved with a group of gangsters.

This film, although is a gangster film, is in fact very funny. There are many subtle jokes and one liners in the film, which does make people laugh. The sets in the film are often simple, but it still looks thoughtfully created. The dialogs are very British, which could be an impediment for it to have appeal in the United States.

Jude Law is a gem in the film, his character is memorable and remarkable.

Another notable thing in this film is that, despite being a gangster film, it is not violent or gory. This is a big plus for non gore fans!

Class act

Author: gbs4months from southend, England
23 June 2004

this is a true classic of British cinema, it has everything a funny plot, good cast and great acting. it is worth noting that for this film there was no script, the actors were given an outline of a story and ad-lib'd their scenes.

but really makes this film are the characters..like fat alan the martial artist. watch the film and see how funny he is.

sean pertwee is also a star in this film, and some of the dialogue he comes out with is just class..."don't mack me off like a two bob" is a prime example.

Ray Winstone also has some of the best lines ever seen in British cinema.

don't take this film seriously..its just a bit of fun and damn good fun at that!

anyway I'm off for a cheese sandwich

the style makes it

Author: awhyte2323 from Canada
21 December 2003

it doesn't matter if the story is far-fetched and many scenes unrealistic; this film is worth seeing. it's just a very stylish vanity project, short and just cool. they just throw in all these little things like the karaoke, the clown costume, the search for the solution to one man's impotence, that it's very interesting and fun to watch. the film isn't "thought-provoking" or even witty or anything; it's just a cool british gangster film and i really enjoyed watching it. and it doesnt hurt that it stars jude law and jonny lee miller.

I was quite surprised...

Author: izx from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
25 July 2003

This was actually a very worthwhile film. I didn't know what to expect and was glad I paid the $2.10 to see this movie. Colorful characters fill the screen in every scene. At first I was caught off guard, not knowing this was a dark comedy...but I just found myself laughing too damn much. At first the film seemed to be sort of pointless, like a Lock Stock rip off. It matured into something very different, however. Whatever you do, watch the entire movie. You won't be let down. Great acting from Ray Winstone, Sean Pertwee, Jonny Miller and, of course, Jude Law.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]