IMDb > 3 Strikes (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
3 Strikes

3 Strikes More at IMDbPro »

A very funny, raunchy film about a guy trying to stay out of prison after getting his "3 Strikes."

Author: Tom McKay (ram7764@juno.com) from Michigan, USA
10 March 2000

A hilarious movie, full of sexual themes and innuendo. The movie is centered around a community of African-Americans in LA, one of whom has been arrested for felonies twice, one away from a long jail term. Unfortunately, he gets picked up from jail by his "friend" in a stolen car. The strikes keep piling up! It's nothing that you wouldn't expect from a film of this kind. Just something to see on a Friday night.

Funny

Author: from United States
4 November 2005

This movie is hilarious! Every time I see it playing on television, I have to watch it till the end. Its packed with an all-star line up of black comedians.

I just read the comment posted before mine, and I strongly disagree. It is an unfair assessment of this movie. Now you do have your occasional flops of 'hip-hop' movies, but this isn't one of them.

I think Brian Hooks could have been the next Martin Lawerence. I compare his comedy in this movie to him, David Alan Grier, Tommy Davidson. It has a lot of one liner humor, "Gotta have that Yac before I break yo' back"...and especially coming out of Rob's (the main character) father. Referring to Rob to 'having a dream' like Martin Luther King and telling him not to come back home and join the Salvation Army just cracked me up.

If you liked this I recommend the movie Trippin', which was also real funny.

I'd rather run a cheese grater up and down my neck than watch this again

Author: bobtaurus from Oakland, California
11 May 2005

I would never have gone to see this movie, but the multiplex I was in got their films mixed up and started showing "3 Strikes" instead of the film I'd come to see, "Topsy Turvy" (which, BTW, I saw a few years later and found pretty boring). I lasted through about 20 minutes of this film before I walked out in disgust.

First of all, it simply isn't funny. But more importantly, I'll bet if this had been produced, written and direct by *white* men, there would have been massive protests against "3 Strikes" as representative of the worst kind of stereotyping of African-Americans. The Af-Am characters in this film are comprised of drug dealers, ex-cons, hookers and morons. I mean, I'm *white* and *I* was offended by the portrayals. Why the Al Sharptons and Jessie Jacksons of America didn't denounce this piece of cr*p is beyond me.

Dear Goodness...This Movie Was Terrible.

Author: Edward Goldenberg from United States
18 November 2014

3 Strikes focuses on a man who gets out of jail, and after a run in with bad luck, he goes on the run as he attempts to avoid getting a third strike.

I don't really know why I watched this, I probably had way too much free time on my hands. However, I will say this, this movie was awful. Yes, I'm sorry if this offends anybody, but this movie was awful, totally and completely awful. 3 Strikes struck out big time, all three chances that I gave it, it struck out. This movie is painful, sloppy, unfunny, predictable, and absolutely horribly written. Before anybody begins giving me a hard time for this review, I'll say this. I did actually try to like this movie, I did what I usually do whenever I watch a movie, I threw out all of the preconceived notions that I had previously heard and decided to keep an open mind about it. But this movie proves that doing that does not always help, as I still ended up disliking the movie intensely. In fact, if I had been a film critic back during the year 2000, I would have probably ranked this movie as one of the worst movies of the year, as yes, it really is that awful, and in just a little bit, I'll tell you what it's awful.

The acting is lowbrow and unfunny. Brian Hooks stars as Rob Douglas, the man who is trying to avoid getting his third strike. Okay, we know that it wasn't his fault, but get over it already. Faizon Love was awful in his role as Tone, a friend of Rob. The only one who seemed like he was trying to act was David Alan Grier, who plays Detective Jenkins. I wonder how far they got into filming before he realized what a major bomb he was in. The script was repulsive. Normally, I have no problem with a lot of excessive swearing and cursing in movies, but I do have a problem with it if there is absolutely no reason for it. I swear that in the first 5-10 minutes of the movie, I heard nothing but countless uses of the F-Word and the N-Word. What was writer and director DJ Pooh thinking when he directed this movie, and wrote its script. The movie was also filled with a lot of other gags and jokes, but none of them were funny.

All in all, this is one of the worst movies of 2000, and if you would even say that it's one of the worst movies ever made, that probably would not be an overstatement. Basically, this movie actually could have been funny, but DJ Pooh poorly executed it, and in fact, he gets most of the blame, as he not only directed the movie, but he also wrote the script. I doubt that he could have done a job that was any worse than the one that he did right here. I bet that Ed Wood probably could have done a better job had he directed this movie. Wait a minute, what am I saying? DJ Pooh isn't even worthy enough to shine Ed Wood's shoes. This movie could make any of Ed Wood's movies look like Oscar Worthy material. If you do decide to watch this movie, then be prepared to see something terrible, something terrible indeed.

BOMB/10

Could Have Been a Better movie....

Author: tmpj from Chicago IL
14 August 2010

3 Strikes is a flick that had potential in terms of its main theme. But it sank into very low humor very quickly. There were aspects of 3 Strikes that merited further exploration...how the law affects families, and how many Blacks and other people of color are sent upstream disproportionately and unfairly. It was an opportunity to make a serious statement...and the opportunity was wasted. The trials and tribulations of one potential victim cannot speak for the whole. And...there is nothing funny about getting a third strike. It's the gateway to a life of hell...endless incarceration. This was a chance to "scare straight" some younger folks who might have been headed to the prison farm. Instead, the movie delivers a strictly ghetto-ish and highly comedic message that falls flat. Nothing is wrong with ghetto humor, but in this instance it was not used to full effect. The acting and the script could have been much tighter. I really wanted to like this movie...but around halfway through I was wishing it was over, and was somewhat ashamed to see some fine black talent nearly reduced to Minstrel show status...and there was no clear IN YOUR FACE message to stay out of jail and to stay away from the situations that can result in one...two...or three strikes. I hope someone picks up on the subject again and puts it in a somewhat more focused perspective.

A great movie to smoke out to

Author: Me from USA
11 November 2003

This movie was a lot of fun. However, if you are one of the tight assed people who think you should take this movie serious like you are about to watch "Gone with the Wind" you are sadly mistaken. Faizon Love and David Alan Grier are great. Particularly David Alan Grier's "look out he's got a gun" line. It is a very low budget comedy by a first time director. Also the great newscaster Jerry Dunphy has a cameo.

A fun trip

Author: kantone from Chicago, IL.
13 September 2006

I liked this movie. It was fun and enjoyable. I have watched it several times, and so have my kids. The soundtrack has some good beats & rhythm. I like it when movies show you some of the neighborhoods and surrounding areas while filming. It was amusing to watch and listen to the character Mike (played by rapper E-40). I had a "helluva" time just trying to understand what he was saying. The News Anchor with the thick glasses was funny to watch, as well as David Alan Grier.

Now don't get me wrong, the whole movie wasn't hilarious, but I did not find it unpleasant as some of the others described.

As for those who criticize, let's keep it in perspective - "different strokes for different folks". Remember, some of you think the Olsen Twins and Lindsay Lohan are entertaining! But maybe it's a cultural thing.

Guy goes to jail for life if he gets '3 strikes' against him in court

Author: hdampier from Australia
4 November 2008

I first watched this movie after it was released. I thought it was hilarious from the start & well thought out. If you enjoyed Friday, Next Friday or Friday After Next, you will love this movie. You have to have an open mind to watch this movie, as it is full of coarse language, drug use & sexual innuendos. Heaps of good r&b music to add to the overall feel of the movie. Brian Hooks stars as the hapless ex-con who is trying to make a clean break & avoid going to jail for life if he gets another strike, i.e. 3 strikes. He doesn't try too hard to stay out of trouble as it seems to find him at every turn & with the so-called friends he has, they will surely help him back to jail quickly. A few cameo appearances by famous actors such as Monique, hilarious as usual,George Wallace & Antonio Fargas. Overall the movie is a riot & the out-takes at the end are as funny as the movie. It was made to poke fun at the '3 strikes' ruling, so sit back & enjoy.

Get Out

Author: Ryan J. Gilmer (ryanjgilmer007@aol.com) from Plymouth, MN, USA
18 May 2000

Luckilly this one was viewed for free because man did it ever strike out.

There is nothing new here, the movie is poorly written and has nobody to root for.

There are some funny parts, but they are very few and far between and are all done better in Friday.

The acting is mediocre and does not make the movie a must see. Acting is done much better in Love & Basketball.

In all, one the worst of 2000. While the movie was profitable, the budget was relatively miniscle.

Stay away from the strikes unless absolutely necessary, it almost asurredly will disappoint.

Rating: 2

Viewed: in theatre (Scope)

Unfunny supposed comedy...

Author: dwpollar from Evansville, Indiana USA
29 April 2006

1st watched 4/28/2006 - 3 out of 10(Dir-D.J. Pooh): Unfunny supposed comedy about a man getting out of jail and hoping to stay away from his 3rd conviction which would land him back in for 25 years according to the law(Aka-3 Strikes). Brian Hooks plays the lead role and right away puffs on some weed as soon as he enters his friends car(so how serious is he anyway…is my thought). But then he finds out his friend has stolen the car that he picked him up in and as you can suspect everything goes haywire from here. There are only a couple of laughs in the whole 1 hour and 22 minutes of this film so I you can probably figure out what I thought of the movie already. There are a handful of cameos by bigger names like George Wallace as his dad, Antonio Fargas as his uncle and Monique as someone trying to get into his pants as well as present him with a cassette that supposedly has the evidence to get him out of his trouble. None of these people add many laughs to this mediocre film. The outtakes at the end actually are a little funnier than the entire movie itself(which is definitely a bad sign). I guess the only good thing is that it has a lot of rap music by popular artists, if you're into that kind of music, so buy the soundtrack but don't bother with the movie.