IMDb > Wu long tian shi zhao ji gui (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wu long tian shi zhao ji gui More at IMDbPro »

Kung Fu Zombie. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Author: nickthegun from United Kingdom
18 October 2002

Kung Fu Zombie is one of those rare gems. It does nothing special, or even well, but the speed at which things happen and the utter madness you could only get from a HK release make this very appealing. The titular kung fu zombie is fun. He flies around pulls faces and, and this is the best bit, every time he is seen the camera pulls a close up to the 'da da dah-da da dah, da da d da da' part of the James Bond theme.

One for the late night stoner brigade. It worked for me and my mates (respect to jimmy for getting it in the first place).

Hopping Vampires, Ghosts & zombies

Author: gemproductions (gemproductions@mail.tele.dk) from Copenhagen, Denmark
3 July 2000

Billy Chong has to fight villains, zombies, ghosts and a vampire, who all knows the art of kung fu. All this because some low-life bad guy and a part-time magician wants him out of the way.

As usual there is loads of fighting, slapstick comedy, and we also get some jumping zombies, stupid ghosts and a vampire who´s running around chopping heads. Funny and entertaining, but also quite exhausting. Not as good as the Mr. Vampires series though. Leave your brain in a bucket and enjoy.

Kung Fu Zombie Delivers!

Author: kinojunkie from United States
27 June 2005

Kung Fu Zombie is a charming flick loaded with fast paced martial arts fighting. The story is too over the top to try to explain here, but it's worth mentioning that this film has zombies, ghosts, a vampire, a wizard, possessions, an exorcism, paintings that shoot lasers out of their eyes and a healthy does of well executed kung fu! All of this is packed into a film on the short side of 80 minutes. Intentionally funny, Kung Fu Zombie is a hilarious, tightly edited, romp of a film. The big pay off is at the end of the film when Billy Chong fights an undead vampire martial arts master. The energy and absurdity of this scene is magnificent. If you're expecting a lot of zombies, you may be disappointed, but if you're looking for an entertaining ride on the wonderful roller-coaster of crazy kung fu films, Kung Fu Zombie won't disappoint!

Underrated fun!

Author: Mike P from United States
7 May 2009

Okay, so the only reason I ever saw this movie to begin with was because I found the used DVD (the Black Belt Theatre version) on sale for $2 in a local video store in the middle of nowhere. I honestly expected it to stink to high heaven, and only bought it for the funny title. To my surprise, I really enjoyed it! I'm pretty confused at most of the reviews I see on the web for this movie calling it a "horror" film, because this is a comedy pure and simple. Everything is so ridiculous that it's absolutely hilarious, from the "wizard's" goofy dancing whenever he casts "spells," to the scene where they're out "shopping" for corpses, to the protagonist's complete indifference as to whether his obnoxious father lives or dies. The dub is absolutely hilarious (I've seen probably over a hundred dubbed movies/shows and this is, no kidding, one of the most effective ones I've ever seen, though it's obviously much easier to dub a goofy comedy than a drama), and it makes excellent use of music at hilarious times. I also have to give a hearty thanks to the editor for the Americanized version, who clearly edited out at least half an hour of what was clearly dull story, leaving absolutely nothing but kung fu and comedy scenes.

If you have the capacity to enjoy goofy, ridiculous movies and slapstick humor, I fully recommend this. The closest thing I can compare it to is a super low-budget version of Kung Fu Hustle. I only wish the DVD transfer were better (it's watchable, but the scenes in dark places can be hard to make out).

Some of the best, and some of the worst

Author: Henry J Sosenite from Boise
16 December 2008

Like other reviewers said, Kung Fu Zombie lives up to its title, but other than the character of the vampire, it doesn't go beyond expectations. A rating of a 5 is usually used in the case of a boring and mediocre film, but Kung Fu Zombie is not. It goes insanely back and forth from being a genuinely bizarre (and entertaining) zombie story and kung fu movie, to a pathetic attempt at film-making. The production of the dubbed version is way below kung-fu-film average, with numerous jumps in the plot (which is so ridiculous it's almost dull), hopeless attempts at vaudeville-style humor, and problems in pacing which sometimes makes it hard to sit through. Many of the attempts at humor fail completely, and most of the laughs will come from what is meant to be scary or strange. At the same time, though, Kung Fu Zombie has that insanity and originality that makes it a "good bad film". For example, a drawing on the outside of a jail shoots lasers out of its eyes at a zombie- because, of course, zombies can't enter jails.

The fighting in Kung Fu Zombie is surprisingly good. Billy Chong is a terrible actor, but a great athlete. The editing throughout the film is confusing and convoluted enough to ruin several scenes, and although it's noticeable in fight scenes, it somehow doesn't manage to ruin them.

It's hard to pin down an audience for Kung Fu Zombie. It might not be best for kung fu fanatics; those who prefer the serious type of kung fu film will abhor it. Probably many of its viewers are people looking for a fun zombie movie (The mainstream 70's zombie flicks had little or no influence on Kung Fu Zombie- 100% Hong Kong horror), or those who are amused by the title- these are the people who are most likely to enjoy it.

Good but not Chong's best

Author: David Austin from NYC
22 October 2001

This is a pretty entertaining movie, but not nearly the mindwarp that Chong's Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave is. This movie does have its moments, but the plot is not as interesting as it could be. Still, the villain is without a doubt the most butt-whuppinest zombie I have ever seen, and that includes the giant Mombie from Braindead (Dead-Alive). It's particularly fun the way he's always introduced with ripped-off James Bond music. Also the final fight is a doozie once the priest gets into the action. Worth a watch for Fu/Horror fans, but definitely not one to use an introduction to the genre.

Turn your brain off and enjoy an odd mix of horror comedy and kung fu

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
10 November 2008

Amusing Kung fu horror comedy about a guy seeking to get revenge on the person who sent him to jail by using zombies. He ends up dead himself and needs to have his spirit put into a suitable body. Meanwhile the family of the person who sent the now dead guy to jail is having problems since another family is out for revenge for other reasons.

Odd mish mash of genres is actually amusing in a completely less than serious way. The horror elements are creepy, the humor dopey but fun and the action is pretty good. I picked this up for a buck and it actually entertained me more than most films I paid ten or twenty times that amount for. If you can go with the shifting genres I recommend this.

Definitely worth a box of popcorn and a soda.

Forget John Woo! Forget Tsui Hark! This one is ultimate!

Author: karloff-4 from Helvetia
24 October 1999

What a masterpiece! I still can't believe what I've seen. This is a classic of eastern cinematography. It belongs in every well sorted movie-collection. The director, the actors, the scenery and the plot are unique. I want to mention especially Billy Chong as Pang. His performance is so outstanding, it's really a thrill watching his acting. And director Hua I-Jung did a hell of a job. He's a brilliant director. Forget John Woo! Forget Tsui Hark! This one is ultimate!

confusing

Author: (winner55) from United States
22 August 2006

ej's kung-fu capsule review for films of the chop-socky old-school -

1. basic plot type - fantasy comedy, supernatural-'fu

6. cast performance - poor

7. crew performance - poor

8. amount of fighting - appears to be lots

9. quality of fighting - bad; loses interest

10. special any cast or crew notes - billy chong's worst movie ever, and he plays an unlikeable character; in fact, there are no likable characters in this film; the only thing of historical interest here is the introduction of Japanese anime references into an old-school chop-socky

11. big positive - none

12. big negative - it was ever made

bottom-line - who should see this movie - kung-fu completists only