IMDb > Take It or Leave It (1981) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Take It or Leave It More at IMDbPro »

A must for Madness fans everywhere, others can do as the title suggests

Author: Richard Groves (richgroves99@hotmail.com) from Birmingham, England
7 August 1999

Ultimately, a film for fans, which is why I give this 8 out of 10, because I am a huge Madness fan and always have been. Essentially a low budget bio-pic of the 'Nutty Boys' origins as people and as a group. The acting obviously isn't great but there are some nice touches and funny moments along the way. Of course, it is the music which carries this film along, Madness fans will love it but I don't think it would be everyone's cup of tea.

Obligatory stuff if you play or want to play in a band.

Author: robertjannl from Utrecht, Netherlands
20 August 2002

The acting in this film may not be brilliant, this film does, however, provide an accurate picture of life in a band. It does not glorify the band members and their achievements but it is a very down to earth narrative about the trials and tribulations of an emerging band. There is some good music to be found and it is worthwile to watch a band grow towards its final shape as one of England's finest bands. Take it, don't leave it!

Strange film

Author: matthewdavies2000 from Australia
11 December 2005

This was a funny old film...I only glanced at it in a bargain bin where I bought it from and thought it was a documentary of the band from more recent times. However once I put it on it was truly baffling without any background context - at first I thought it was a documentary filmed at the actual time of them getting together (which would have been pretty amazing for a unheard of working class band in 1976 but not so nowadays with wall to wall "pop reality" shows). Then I thought for a while it was filmed now (i.e post 2000) and them playing themselves back then. Then I realised that it was actually a film of them in 1981 reenacting how they got together 3/4 years previously. Anyway the oddness of the concept aside....the acting is terrible and I think that adds to the "is this a documentary or a film ?" puzzle. But the true best bits for Madness fans are the gigs they perform in various London pubs - absolutely quality and guaranteed to get you moon-stomping around the front room. If you want an intellectual film about Madness and their vaudevillian contribution to the pop canon then this ain't it but if you want raw Madness "going off" in some packed London boozers then this is for you.

Total Nuttyness

Author: baconballs1969 from Nottinghamshire, England
7 May 2006

Its strange, but I have been a Madness fan ever since they emerged back in 1979 and yet I only get round to viewing this movie in 2006.

I thought it was great and is a MUST for all Madness fans. It tells the story of how the band got together and has a nice mixture of comic moments and dark, serious scenes.

Of course, all the lads looked very young but they were back in 1981. This movie goes to prove all along what I had suspected - that Lee "Kix" Thompson, the sax player is a total nutter!! I laughed at this film, especially the antics of the aforementioned "Kix", but I thought there wasn't much need to show the violent scenes involving the skinheads - I feel this marred the film in some way.

I just wonder why it has taken me so long to watch this film. Maybe it is because it was never all that widely available before.

If you are a Madness fan then watch it. If you aren't a fan then this film will interest you if you want an insight into what is involved in putting a successful band together.

There is also a great soundtrack featuring some of Madness's greatest hits along with some other lesser-known songs.

Dumb

Author: fre-roen from Granli
26 May 2012

For a lot of reasons one could slaughter the whole thing, but I choose to let them get away with it. Even the ugly commentary track added on to the DVD I'll let slip. Yes, the burping and smattering, and increasingly lack of concentration. But the cut's made in the picture's ratio is there no excuse for. Dumb, quite frankly. Typical now these days when the elder pictures are released again. This could be left as a 4:3 ratio as it was shot and for that reason alone I give it *** So there you go. Give It another try then if you can get your head around the dilemma amateurish producers. You just don't deserve the royalties dripping down on you if there's no substance in your material you're presenting. I think more than just some of us whom bought this over priced object from ebay got a mixed feeling after-wards.