Monsters, Inc. (2001) Poster

Adorable, funny, perfect voice casting for the lead roles
vchimpanzee31 October 2004
I thought Billy Crystal and John Goodman were great. I like them anyway, but I can't imagine anyone else in their roles. John Goodman comes across as a warm, fuzzy teddy bear type in so many of his roles, and this time he was actually drawn that way. Crystal and Goodman were great together, even when their characters showed signs of not getting along. And Boo sounded so natural, so childlike. There's no way an adult could have done her lines the way they were executed.

And the writing was so intelligent, this movie was not just for kids. There were a lot of clever jokes that kids might not get. Still, the warm and fuzzy qualities of so many of the monsters make this a perfect choice for kids as well as adults, and I really don't get why ABC couldn't give this a TV-G rating. It may have been a little violent or scary at times, but never all that intense. Kids see worse on Saturday morning.
37 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Now here's a story children and adults can relate too. Monsters in the closet.
ahill-112 December 2001
While monsters in the closet may seem to be a scary reality for some children, `Monsters, Inc.' makes it light hearted by showing them it's all in a night's work. The characters are as charming as the cast that speaks for them.

It's a learning experience children get to see how an industry works. Monsters, Inc. is an in-genius corporation that has scientifically learned how to channel children's screams into energy that is used for electrical power. It has monster employees, an assembly line of doors (which give monsters access to children's bedrooms), a top-flight training program and some of the top Monsters in the scaring business.

There's a colorful Metropolis, filled with houses, buildings, businesses, cars and everything that makes a city run smoothly along with a population of colorful creatures. One of the colorful groups of creatures is the yellow swat team. Their job is to protect the Metropolis of Monsters, Inc. from human contamination.

But what happens when a human child mysteriously gets through the bedroom door and terrorizes the city with screams and boo's. It's wondrous and funny. In the mist of all this is industrial crime, brought on by greed. But, the story ends on a very happy note.

John Goodman is the voice of `Sulley' a colorful large blue-green ape like monster who's the star Monsters, Inc. employee. He's some type of monster, cut, cuddly, and he has a conscience that leads him to feelings of regret about scarring children. He becomes attached to Boo (voice of Mary Gibbs) a cute, little big-eyed girl who is mysteriously brought to Monsters, Inc. and in his quest to return her home becomes very attached to her.

Sulley's best friend is Mike (voice of Billy Crystal) who's a funny looking green ball with stick legs and one huge eye. His comedy is seen through out the movie. Mike is Sulley's driving force, acting as his agent. Mike's job is to make sure Sulley remains the top Monsters, Inc. employee. But when it comes to laughter Mike proves he's on top.

Mike's girl friend Celia (voice of Jennifer Tilley) is the stylish employee who has Mike's best interest at heart. Her job is to keep him out of trouble.

I give Monsters, Inc. a ten. It is an animated movie that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It makes for great family fun.
113 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Does For Monsters What "Toy Story" Did For Toys!
MovieAddict201612 March 2003
Monsters, Inc.

We were all, at one time, scared of monsters under the bed. Shadows of clothes in the closet. Weird sounds outside in the trees. I remember thinking there were all kinds of monsters in my room - not as much under my bed as in the closet. And once again, Pixar, who brought us "Toy Story" 1 & 2, plays on both adults' memories and children's dreams, making it equally enjoyable for both children and adults.

John Goodman voices James P. Sullivan, known as "Sulley" to friends. He is a big, blue, hairy monster with horns on his head and hands the size of a watermelon. Billy Crystal is Mike Wazowski, his wisecracking, one-eyed best friend. Both of these monsters live in Monstropolis, a world where monsters roam freely. Their city is powered by a rare source of power - children's screams. That is where Monsters, Incorporated comes in. At Monsters, Inc., monsters like Sulley and Mike open portals into children's rooms - through closet doors - and scare the children, capturing their scream in a little yellow bottle. Sulley is the top-scarer, bringing in the most scares. But Randall (the always enjoyable - even when animated - Steve Buscemi), a wormy, multiple-armed lizard-monster with the ability to change appearances to its surroundings, is jealous of Sulley, and will attempt anything to get more scares...even if it means taking a child from the real world and bringing it into Monstropolis. But after the child escapes, Sulley and Mike reluctantly look after it, all the while trying to get it back to the real world before Mr. Waternoose (the late James Coburn) and others find out about the incident...

"Monsters, Inc." does for monsters what "Toy Story" did for toys. Pixar once again not only expands our mind, but our very worlds. I respect their company and commitment values very much, as you can read in my "Toy Story" review. They stick to the values that made Disney films so family-friendly back in the fifties and sixties: Respect for the audience, respect for quality, and respect for the audience's INTELLIGENCE, something Disney, who has recently coughed up a bunch of lousy, thoughtless sequels, has forgotten. Now, I know that LEGALLY Disney is co-creator of "Toy Story" and "Monsters, Inc.," but they really are not. They just give Pixar the money and get their name branded on the front box of the film. And even then, I have heard multiple claims that Disney is very mean-spirited towards Pixar (read into sequel trouble for "Toy Story 3") and gives them the bare minimum.

But that is straying off the subject. "Monsters, Inc." is one of the most enjoyable animated films I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. I didn't enjoy it as much the first time, but I then bought it, and have since watched it many times. It is an instant classic. I will be watching it years from now, when I am old and frail and in a rocking chair. It ranks right up there with "Toy Story" 1 & 2, and all the OLDER Disney films from the 50's-70's. It has all the elements of a sweet, charming, emotional and pleasurably good-natured animated film. And, more coudos to Pixar: Thank you for not packing it full of the language and inappropriate content that Disney shoves into the dark recesses of their films nowadays.

Not only has Pixar brought back the "Family Film" genre to what it should be, but it also redefines it. Pixar's animated films are some of the most thoughtful, imaginative and enjoyable animated films ever - not to mention 100 % family safe. Thank you, Pixar, for getting back on track.

5/5 stars
94 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
`Monsters, Inc.' is the best animated feature this year and one of the greatest of all time.
jdesando25 October 2001
You may admire the hair detail on Sully the Yeti's arm, but you will be amazed at the warmth of characterization in `Monsters, Inc.,' surpassing even the great `Shrek' earlier this year. Goodman and Crystal are a comedic team reminiscent of the zaniest Martin and Lewis days. Crystal's Borscht-belt routines brought smiles even to this jaded and admittedly tough-on-comedy critic. I thought Eddie Murphy's donkey in `Shrek' was smart and funny; Crystal's one-eyed monster is even better with its wry and annoying wit.

Cleaning the environment of child contamination is a hilarious conceit that turns around the usual fears children have of monsters in closets. It is also a chilling parallel to the challenge of removing anthrax from today's letters. Generally, the allegorical underpinnings of animation are natural for the medium, powerful like the images of the novel `Animal Farm' for political and sociological levels of meaning. For example, the endless-door motif in this film is an ingenious metaphor for the scary and glorious possibilities the present and future hold for kids.

Even before you see this feature, Pixar offers the short feature `For the Birds' -- a brilliant takeoff on Hitchcock's memorable film besides being a great commentary on diversity. The expressions around the animated eyes, as the little birds deal with the big bird interloper, are more expressive than those of most contemporary film actors, with the exception of Brando, Pacino, Depp, and Streep.

The short trailer for `Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones' may precede the showing as it did ours for an added delight.

74 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Adorable movie with top class entertainment.
Boba_Fett113821 January 2004
The best way to describe this movie in one word is; fun! "Monsters, Inc." is a movie you can easily fall in love with. It has some great fun character, some awesome moments and some well placed comical moments. "Monsters, Inc." is entertainment at its bests.

The voice cast is amazing. John Goodman and Billy Crystal form a great leading duo. Steve Buscemi is a great villain and James Coburn has a great voice that fits his character perfectly. John Ratzenberger as always is very entertaining this time in a role as banished Yeti.

The story itself is pretty simple but thats what makes it easy to follow and so much fun to watch. The movie not only knows how to entertaining but also knows how and when to emote. The combination of fun and emotional things is perfectly balanced and placed within the movie.

There is some great dialog but the true power of "Monsters, Inc." are the wonderful characters. Not is there only a wild variety of strange and weird characters but also some characters that are good for some serious laughs and Boo is simply adorable and a pretty fair representation of a kid in real life. Well done Pixar!

Pure entertainment for the entire family!

44 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best computer animated film of them all, and the most adult
Spleen2 January 2002
Until now I couldn't bring myself to believe that computer animation was the equal of either stop motion animation or hand-drawn animation. All computer animated films looked a little (usually more than a little) too sterile, many were animated poorly ("Antz", "Shrek", "Final Fantasy"), and even the single unqualified success ("Toy Story 2") provided little evidence that a computer animated film COULD reach the heights other kinds of animation could. "Toy Story 2" had flawless character animation, but nothing as inspired as the best in "Tarzan" (released the same year, although I could have chosen almost any other Disney cartoon to make my point); effective art direction, but nothing to match "Fantasia" or "The Nightmare Before Christmas". And I thought that "Toy Story 2" was as good as the art was ever going to get.

I was wrong. This is far better. And what's more, there's no sense whatever that the script (an unusually rich and uninhibited script) is bumping up against the limits of what the medium will allow. It's now been proven that computer animation CAN be just as good as any other kind. Whether it will be allowed to be in future is another question, but for now, I'm hopeful. What we have here is computer animation's first ENTIRELY unalloyed artistic delight, with every character gracefully and characteristically animated, every virtual set just right and pleasing to look at, and an eye-tickling mastery of colour, light and shade that I thought would forever elude CGI artists.

It's not fair to judge anything good as "Monsters, Inc." as though it were a children's movie, but I can't resist comparing it with "Shrek" - which emphatically IS a children's movie. "Monsters, inc." is admittedly ABOUT children, in a sort of a way. The inhabitants of Monstropolis rely on children's screams for their energy, and the central story is kicked off when one of the monsters accidentally brings a small child (which he calls "Boo") into the city. But we never see things from her point of view. We see things from the point of view of the monsters, who are all adults - and who, like most adults, see children as frightening, almost incomprehensible members of another species. And they ARE. To be sure, Wazowski comes to feel strong affection for Boo, but she never becomes more than a humanoid pet (which is not to demean the relationship). This is a story about adults looking at childhood from the outside.

"Shrek", of course, is a children's movie through and through. Its attention span is short, it has an unthinking mean streak, and children will have a whale of a time watching the central characters (the bigger they are, the more fun it is) act childishly and make poo-poo jokes. "Monsters, Inc." has too much genuine wit, characters too rich, a world with too much depth, and a story at once too coherent and too complicated, to be PRIMARILY a film for children. This is not to say children won't like it. Maybe they will. (Who can say?) Here's the bonus: if they DO like it, it will (unlike "Shrek") actually have a beneficial effect. It will make them less frightened of the dark.
57 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Superb animation, a most inventive story, fun for the whole family.
TxMike19 September 2002
"Monsters Inc" came out on DVD this week, and now I have my own copy!! It is not very useful to try to evaluate this one against others since such an evaluation is so subjective. But I put it in the same superb category that such animated films as "Toy Story", "A Bug's Life", "Shrek", and "Disney's Tarzan" are in.

First, the quality of the animation and the picture quality. Unbelievably good. I can categorically say it is the best picture quality I have seen on DVD, and the movement and facial expressions of the animated characters makes it almost feel like they are real.

Second, the story. How inventive! The only thing separating the monster world from the real world are the doors. The company, Monsters Inc, must have millions of them in inventory, computerized for quick call-up to send in a monster to get screams and charge up their energy cells.

The main characters are voiced by John Goodman (big, blue, hairy "kitty" with purple spots) and Billy Crystal (short, green, one-eyed monster) and their acting add so much. Plus the great music provided by Randy Newman. Overall an hour and a half of pure edge of your seat entertainment. And that doesn't even include the 3+ hours of extras on the second disk.

You can select either standard or widescreen format, and I watched mine widescreen on a 16:9 HDTV with 5-channel surround system with powered subwoofer. Almost like being in a theater!!
47 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most endearing animation films created
Kat Grant16 January 2005
Pixar is the best! Of them all, Monsters, Inc. takes the cake. The realism of the characters' movements & feelings is perfect. The ending is a tear jerker on a happy note. At first I was concerned with the plot of monsters scaring children with a "business as usual" attitude, but right away you discover that the monsters are as terrified of the kids as the kids are of monsters.... wonderful juxtaposition throughout the film... a totally enjoyable, feel-good story. Buy it for the kids and let them watch it over and over. (adults may want to sit-in on more than one occasion themselves). Personal Note: For me, a mystery about this film was "Roz"; the voice reminded me so strongly of the grandmother in "Dinosaurs", and I thought the character drawing was similar as well; upon researching the two, I found they are definitely different actors.
48 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An instant classic
george.schmidt5 November 2001
MONSTERS, INC. (2001) **** (Voices of: Billy Crystal, John Goodman, James Coburn, Jennifer Tilly, Steve Buscemi, Mary Gibbs, Bonnie Hunt, Bob Peterson, John Ratzenberger, Frank Oz, Steve Susskind, Jeff Pidgeon, Sam "Penguin" Black, Daniel R. Gerson. (Dir: Peter Docter/Co-directors: David Silverman, Lee Unkrich)

There's something undeniably magical about a Disney movie that brings out your inner child and the streak continues to manifest itself in the latest with its fine track record with upstarts Pixar (the "Toy Story " films) in delighting children of all ages in one of the year's funniest (and most fun) films.

The childhood phenomena of imagining monsters lurking in one's bedroom closet or under the bed is in actuality a reality that exists solely for the world of the monsters to use all the energy extracted from a child's screams as their natural resource to power their communities and subsist in their parallel universe. Specifically Scream Heat ("We Scare Because We Care"), the corporate entity that harnesses the youngsters' reactions to its hard-working crew of creatures including our heroes James P. "Sulley" Sullivan (marvelously voiced by Goodman) and his best buddy Mike Wazowski (ditto Crystal). Sulley is a bear-like, blue and purple hairy and horned monster and Mike is a cyclopean lime green M&M clone. The two couldn't be more different yet both share their passion for their vocation and the only thing getting in their way is their rival colleague Randall Boggs (Buscemi, at his oiliest menacing), a reptilian nasty who wants to beat Sulley for the all-time factory record of most points racked up in a single day on the job … at any cost. Watching the proceedings is Sulley's father-figure boss Henry J. Waternoose (Coburn) – a cross between a crab and Edward G. Robinson – whose main priority is avoiding any "rolling blackouts" (in one of the film's subtle jabs at the current climate in our nation). Mike is in love with cutie pie receptionist Celia (Tilly) who also sports one eye and is afoot taller than him, with a hairdo sporting a Medusa twist (snakes sit atop her head) who wants something from him besides excuses to their frequently put-upon dates together. One day after work Sulley accidentally lets into their world a tiny 4 year old girl – a big no-no – legend has it that one touch is toxic and fatal! – which causes mass havoc wreaked upon the populace as the authorities attempt to corral the tyke while decontaminating the infected workshop's workers (a running gag has the SWAT like DEA agents popping in at a moment's notice whenever a sign of human contact – i.e. a small cotton white sock attached to an unsuspecting monster – makes its ugly presence known!) Mike is in a panicky sweat that they will lose their jobs and tells Sulley he can't hide Boo (the nickname the big guy dubs the adorable tot) and they must return her to her bedroom. Easier said than done when Randall gets wind of the partners abetting the unsuspecting crime and he too has his plans to use Boo for his own selfish endeavors…at any cost! The film is a laugh a minute romp and an incredible mix of state-of-the-art computer generated dynamics that truly enhance the candy-colored world of Mike & Sulley with its picture perfect depictions of moveable hair (see how Sulley's locks sway to and fro so naturally! A first for CGI imagery!) and expressiveness given to the one-eyed Mike who works his brow into a real sweat. Never before has voice talent been so perfectly matched and acted to a t than in the comic team of Crystal and Goodman with their characteristics smartly enhanced into their characters with Crystal's liberal use of his "SNL" Willy the Masochist ("Oh I hate when that happens!") and Goodman's burly, awshucks demeanor fits his soft-hearted meanie like a golden glove. Sulley is the true star of the show with his emotional overload not unlike a kid learning to make a new life transition as he discovers there's more to his existence than meets the eye (same for Mike; pun intended). When he realizes that Boo (by the way, nice job by the producers to use real-life 4 year old Gibbs, in easily the cutest turn by a child performer ever without making an audience gag) is not threatened by his hulking presence. The laughs are largely thanks to Crystal's myopic M&M who is always one-step behind his behemoth buddy and slow on the uptake as the plot proceeds with his sly one-liners, sudden bursts of unrestrained anger and confusion, and slapstick antics leads the film into uncharted territories of hysterical laughter and a great breakneck roller-coaster ride with Mike & Sulley attempting to find Boo's bedroom door with Randall in hot pursuit gives the film a giddy headrush of adrenaline. The film is witty, bright, upbeat and has its shares of incisiveness (I loved the use of HarryHausen's as a local chic eatery that all the monsters are dying to get into; in case of those who don't know Harryhausen, Ray Harryhausen, is the premier stop-motion animator pioneer who gave life to scores of sci-fi creatures including the fabled "Sinbad" flicks of the 1960s and 1970s among others) that will undoubtedly have its constituents clamoring for a sequel pronto. Arguably one of the best films and funniest of the year; I loved it and so will you (and your kids if you have any; if not all the more to see it again) An instant classic.
59 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing To Criticize Here - Very Solid Animated Film
ccthemovieman-110 July 2006
This is a very entertaining animated film. I've seen it twice and enjoyed even more the second time. Billy Crystal said he enjoyed making this film as much as any film he's ever done, so that's a good testimony that you'll get some laughs and enjoy this movie as an adult, too.

Kids will love it, I am sure. The "monsters" in here are funny-looking and almost lovable, nothing that would scare your kids (or you). Crystal has a bunch of funny lines but overall I found this to be as much if not more of a human interest story than a comedy.

There is a lot of sentimentality to it, even overdone a bit at the end, but that's okay. There is absolutely nothing offensive in here, either. The colors look spectacular, too.
44 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gates Again
tedg13 October 2006
This is a resubmitted comment, the original was removed by a complaint from some anonymous aggrieved party. Let's hope the edits are sufficient this time.

You already know that this is the usual Pixar fare, which is to say that it is excellent, better than any non-Pixar animated film. Sure, you also know that and you probably know the usual reason given: that Pixar spends more time on basic storytelling values than anyone else.

Here are two elements of this that may deepen your appreciation. The first is that Pixar recognized early that 3D animation software allowed two types of advance in the third dimension. The first is obvious, that everything has depth and reflection and shadow more or less like reality.

The second is that once these objects and scenes are defined in the computer, it is no extra work to move the camera anywhere. it can loop and swoop in ways that we never could have before. Pixar decided to exploit this in their storytelling here and later in "Nemo."

Nemo was set in an environment where there was no horizon so the camera could flow and the watery feel of the place could make the unfamiliar fluidity of the camera seem more natural. Here, is where they tested some of those perspectives in the three dimensional door warehouse and the extra dimensions of going in and out. Those scenes make this for me.

The second interesting thing is some competitive background. In those days, there was a shooting war between Bill Gates, financier of Dreamworks Animation (and leader of Microsoft) and Steve Jobs of Pixar (and leader of Apple). This was in the heyday of Gates' dirty tricks and he was intent on burying Jobs forever. Pixar depended on the success of "A Bug's Life" their followon to "Toy Story," so Dreamworks rushed "Antz" -- a cheapy -- to open a week or so before to steal the market.

"Bugs" prevailed, sufficiently at least, and Pixar ramped up for their usual three year development of "Monsters." Dreamworks, getting wind of this, went all out with "Shrek," their "monster" movie that could be released six months earlier. It only took a year because the animation is less perfect. But they were overt in their attack this time: "Shrek" made literal fun of Disney, the Pixar partner. The head guy at Disney was the model for the blowhard King who reigned over a fairytale kingdom populated with -- can you guess? -- all the old Disney characters.

Pixar/Jobs would never do something so spiteful. But perhaps they did subtly appreciate the use of windows and gates to the future that always seemed to go wrong. And now you can too.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My personal favorite Pixar movie
Pixar. With only seven movies you've built yourself a reputation as the greatest current animation studio of them all. Dreamworks has made some good ones and 20th Century Fox's movies have made me chuckle a bit, and Disney has gone downhill in recent years. But you can consistently produce quality work with almost no stain on your track record (except A Bug's Life, the one Pixar movie I did not enjoy). But I've lost track of my thoughts.I'm here to talk about Monster's Inc., my personal favorite Pixar movie.

I'm a doodler myself, and wan't to be an animator someday. And I love drawing monsters. Weird looking, many armed, strange-eyed creatures. That may have been the 1st reason Monster's Inc. appealed to me. So many of these creatures looked like something I would draw, and I spent much of my movie time looking at the creatures in the background.

I also was captivated by the world that was created in Inc. A big problem for me in Pixar's newest movie Cars was lack of real explanation for their universe, like how they built their buildings. In Monster's Inc. the monster world is explained so much more in depth, and we really believe this world could exist. There's a beauty in watching the thousands of closet doors zoom around and I always get goosebumps from watching the "scare montage", because I now know the mechanics of the world these creatures live in.

The characters in the world are also incredibly well realized. Mike and Sully both are easily relatable to, and even small characters have feelings and motivations we can understand. "Boo" actually behaves like a young child would, and that helped me believe she had real emotions. But the creature Randall is what stole the show for me. With his many arms, chameleon-like ability and sheer voice presence, it was hard for me to keep my eyes off of him. But what really made me love this movie so was the characters. When it comes time for the "sad part" of this movie, I was sad. I was actually seeing an animated cartoon that managed to make me feel for these animated creatures without being emotionally manipulative. And I'm not afraid to admit that I cry 4 out of 5 times at the ending.

So, in the end, I can't recommend this film enough. I think this stands above all other Pixar productions and is definitely one of the best animated films I've had the pleasure of seeing.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Monster's Inc. Review
bryanrivera1515 December 2005
There's A Monster in My Closet!

I would definitely recommend Monster's Inc. to people of various ages. Not only would I recommend this movie for its endless comedic scenes, but also because of its refreshing story line. The combination of these two elements makes this film relatable to everyone for we seem to seek for movies that allow us to express amusement or for a new plot. Furthermore, the unique characters added to the overall appearance of the film.

I watched the film Monster's Inc. at the comfort of my own home on Saturday, November 13th, 2005 at approximately five o'clock in the afternoon as I listed my twenty dialectics and worked on my Film Reflection Journal.

I recommend Monster's Inc. to anyone for it contained many comedic parts. I believe that people of all ages would relate to this film because it achieved to have both humor for children and adults. It has the simple amusing scenes that children would laugh at for example when Sully gets stuck in the trash can and books fall on his head and there were also the new generation, hilarious scenes that adults would get such as the scene with the Abominable snowman. Its story line was another factor that would make everyone admires the movie. It was unique in the sense that everything that happened in the film was nothing like any other movies that I have seen. The beginning started out with Mike and Sully doing their regular routine of getting up, greeting everyone monster they pass by, and going to work where they would scare children for the sake of Monstropolis. Then a child from the human world comes into their lives, which will eventually affect the city of Monstropolis including theirs.

The characters in the film were made for the purpose of having the audience see a whole different side of them rather than focusing on their appearances. People could relate to the characters for they showcased personalities that we would display. They showed traits like jealousy, greediness, love, caring, confidence, anger, and more. Being able to relate to these characters allows us to become more attached to the movie for we see ourselves in the figures that are in the screen. We tend to remember some parts of our lives when something similar occurs in the movie. The last parts of the film showed Sully and Mike getting chased by Randall, who was attempting to capture Boo. I remembered my aunts chasing my cousins and me as we rode around with tricycles in the Philippines. This brought back memories from when this happened to me.

In my opinion, I think that the movie would relate more to children than adults for some reasons. First, the characters were full of life and animated, which would suit the likings of children. It included a lonely but friendly Abominable snowman who wanted to be accepted. Secondly, the character of Boo speaks for every child who watched the film. There were probably some children who felt the same way that Boo did and possibly even have dealt with a similar problem. I know that I related with Boo because she brought me back to my past time when I had dilemmas with monsters at night. If I could relate to Boo, I know that other children will as well. The way that the monsters went to work and used the doors of children to enter their realm and scare them was a brilliant idea. This concept really tied the whole movie together. It was a critical part of the film for this is where Sully and Mike met Boo. The way that they competed on who can gather the most screams from children affected the movie in a positive way for it added more comedic parts in it.

If you are looking for an animated yet memorable movie to watch that contains drama and comedy, Monster's Inc. is the film to choose.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic
Pigalina14 September 2005
This film is great. It made me laugh out loud and made me feel sad when I was supposed to too. The monsters all live in a city called Monstropolis and they need the screams of children to power everything. Sully (the big blue furry monster) is the top scarer and he and his one-eyed green friend Mike work together at "Monsters, Incorporated" gathering screams. The monsters are terrified of the children however, thinking that if they get touched by a child they will die. One of the children (she ends up being known as Boo) gets into the monster world and everyone goes into a panic. Sully and Mike must return her to her home before she gets caught. Boo is a cute little character and that's a lot coming from me (I am not a huge fan of small children - it may be because she isn't real). There is also an evil creepy monster called Randal who is planning on kidnapping children to harvest as much scream as possible. The animation was great, I am always amazed at the patience that must go into animating hair, Sully is very hairy. As with all Pixar films there are "bloopers" during the credits which were really funny. With some of the rubbish that Disney seems to be coming out with (Little Mermaid 2, Jungle Book 2 anyone?), Disney/Pixar has to be the wave of the future.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There's more for kids than adults, but it's still got plenty of laughs for adults
bob the moo11 February 2002
Monsters Mike Wazowski and Sulley are the best scare team in Monsters Inc. The company catches the screams of children to power the city of Monstropolis. However Sulley's main rival, Randall Boggs is up to no good and is working the rooms after the factory is shut. Sulley stays late one night to find a door has been left open and that a highly dangerous little girl gets trapped on the wrong side of the door. With the contamination unit closing in on them, Mike and Sulley must get the girl back into her room and uncover Randall's plot.

From the Toy Story producing Pixar comes yet another child/adult cartoon. The story here will satisfy adults and children but it feels like an excuse for things to happen rather than a story in itself. Where Toy Story had layers of story this is quite straightforward. That's not to say it's not good, but it is more aimed towards the children than the adults.

Similarly the majority of the comedy is aimed at children. The only consistent laughs for adults come from the original `one-eyed monster' (where was that joke!?) Mike - he delivers plenty of funny lines and his musical over the outtakes is the funniest thing in the whole film. The problem is that it doesn't have Toy Story's spread of backup characters to deliver one-liners, here we have the three main characters and a couple of baddies, other than that there are no really good support roles - even Celia is wasted as Mike's love interest.

There are still more laughs than many real comedies! But it's unfortunate that it's only left to Mike to carry the adult humour. The animation here has really advanced from Toy Story - just check out Sulley's hairy coat to see the detail. At times you forget it's a cartoon - the characters and backgrounds just look so very real. The final chase through the many doors of the factory is really exciting visually and is pleasing to all.

A great voice cast includes Crystal, Goodman, Coburn, Buscemi, and Tilly all do well, but Crystal is the only one that has much to do and he comes away with all the praise.

Overall it is aimed more at kids than adults and it's not near the heights of Toy Story. However there is still lots to enjoy for all ages.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a creative masterpiece!!!
the_holc24 June 2006
This movie is one of the most brilliant, creative and intelligent animated movies of all time, along with all the other Pixar Animation Studios' Movies. The characters are hilarious (Billy Crystal as Mike Wazowski and John Goodman as Sulley was brilliant) and heartfelt, and the movie exposes raw sensitivity with the separation of Sulley and Boo. The animation is incredible, the humor is witty and the storyline is flawless. This movie should be seen by any Pixar fan, Billy Crystal or Goodman fan, or anyone who just plain likes funny movies, lighthearted ones. Pixar, you've done it again, made a brilliant epic masterpiece! Congrats! Watch out for another appearance by John Ratzenberger (Hamm, P.T.Flea etc.). Hint: Himalayas! Overall, loved it! And I can't see why anyone else wouldn't either. Something for everyone!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the most colourful movie I've ever seen!
xbabe8251717 January 2003
As I'm 20 years old I wasn't very enthusiastic when one of my friend's brought Monsters Inc over to watch one night. I've never been into what I once thought were kids movies. I couldn't get into A Bug's Life or the Toy Story movies (though they were just as well-made) but when I saw Monsters Inc I was amazed. The colours are beautiful and the monsters actually have individual personalities that you can form an opinion about. My personal favourite is Sully - the way the bond grows between him and Boo is wonderful to watch, and he's such a tender, caring character. It's the only animated movie that has ever truly moved me - the ending brought a tear to my eye. I cannot find any fault with this movie and I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. I'm now the proud owner of the DVD and it's definitely one of my favourite movies ever. Anyone who hasn't seen it should - it's brilliant.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We Scare Because We Care!
Jessica Carvalho30 January 2006
''Monsters, Inc.'' is great! Before I have watched movies from Pixar like '' The Incredibles'',''Shrek'' or even ''Finding Nemo'', ''Monsters Inc.'' was one of the first movies made by Pixar that I watched and enjoyed a lot! The monsters like Mike and Sulley are charismatic and funny,and the story is very pleasant as well:

In the monster's land, the monsters generate their city's power by scaring human children.One of the biggest companies of energy is the famous 'Monsters, Inc', where Mike and James Sullivan work. James is very famous in his work, since he is one of the 'scariest'and the one who produces the bigger amount of energy to the company. One night, however, Sully uncovers a devious plot to rid Monster city of it's power problems but accidentally lets a human little girl to enter the monster world. The funny thing is that the monsters really believes that children can contaminate them, so, everybody is afraid of children, specially the little girl who entered the monster's world. Mike and James call the little girl 'Boo'and after seeing she looks harmless, they try to send her back to her world. But many things, Randall included, are trying to not let their plan come true...
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More fun from Pixar
mjw230525 January 2005
Set in a world of Monsters, where the most scary thing is a human child, there is a shortage of Power at the the Scream factory, a place where Monsters enter our world through the closets of young children to collect their Screams.

Sully (John Goodman) the Top Scarer, stumbles upon a child who has somehow entered our world, with his buddy Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) Sully finds out that Human Children are not as dangerous as they are made out to be. And there is more to the Scream Factory than meets the eye.

Brilliantly animated, with some hilarious characters, Monsters inc is another Pixar Delight for the whole family

5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Totally Genius
yayagirl1426 December 2006
Monsters Inc. is just what I expected, Amazing. Every time I see a Pixar movie, from the spectacular Finding Nemo, or the hilarious Toy Story, I know I will be enjoyed. Pixar has such a way with making movies interesting to all ages. Because everyone of all ages, can relate to these characters, or the plot. From all the special features and commentaries I watch on these movies, the directors and writers really do spend so much time in making sure all audiences can watch their movies.

Now that I have talked about Pixar, I will talk about Monsters Inc. The movie is just wonderful. From the first scene, where the monster is just totally destroying this kid's room, to the last scene, where Sulley finally sees Boo again, I laugh, I worry, I feel. If anyone says there is nothing funny in this movie, they must either have no sense of humor, or a really bad sense of humor, or just want to be cynical. The movie is HILARIOUS, with lines such as "did you loose weight, or a limb" The voices are wonderful, John Goodman just has this wonderful voice for animated films, it is so deep and hard, but tender and soft. Billy Crystal is just wonderfully funny. Even all the little characters, like the abominable snow man, are just hilarious. And the story is also touching, you really feel for Boo, and her relationship with Sulley, and even with Mike.

I think the thing that makes Pixar so different from all other animation companies such as Dreamworks, Pixar doesn't very many vocal songs. They have an orchestra do most of their music. It gives the movies much more of a genuine tone. Even though i love the sound track to Shrek and Shrek 2, I feel i watch the movie for the music, not the plot. Pixar has such amazing music, you don't realize that it almost another character to the films.

Overall, Monsters Inc. is a wonderfully entertaining film and should be watched by any age group.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
touching, emotional, original and hilarious masterpiece
sati_8424 April 2004
I only watched it on DVD, but I wish I was at the theater, when Monsters, Inc. was released. Anyway, I was blown away. Sometimes I was rolling on the ground while laughing, sometimes I couldn't hold back my tears. Simply amazing, marvellous filmmaking.

The animation is picture-perfect, the dialogue is brilliant, the story is truly original. Pixar's finest, I think, it's way better than Finding Nemo. A cinematic masterpiece, which is full of emotions and laughter. If you haven't seen it yet, then GO, RENT IT! You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it.

Boo is the cutest animation movie character EVER.

An obvious 10/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I can't wait to see it again!!!
str8queen8 November 2001
This movie is great! Technically its amazing but the attention to realistic detail makes the movie. It is obvious that one of the animators has a small child running around the house. Boo's mannerisms are dead-on. The story itself is well told, too.

I am not really a big fan of animated movies, but this one is definitely one that I will see several times in the theatre and own when it comes out on video. Its not just a children's movie! >)
Great movie!
action4jackson7 March 2002
Great family film. One of the most underrated movies of the year. I took my 2 year old to see it. He loved it! He now has books and toys of Mike and Sully! This movie will be going into our library. We can't wait for the DVD release in September 2002!

Just think they did not need a campaign of trailers, food chain promotions and commercials. If you have a solid story line and a genuine script…people will come to see it!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pixar's glowing reputation takes yet another step forward
zetes18 February 2002
First came Toy Story. It was cute, but lacked bite. The technology was new, and Pixar was still experimenting. Next came A Bug's Life. It was remarkable. Then came Toy Story 2. Even better! Now here is their fourth feature: Monsters Inc. I'm not sure that it's better than Toy Story 2, but at the very least it's equal. It doesn't compare with that film in terms of hilarity. Toy Story 2, in my opinion, is one of the funniest films of the past several years, if not the funniest. However, Monters Inc. has a couple of advantages over TS2 (and, I promise you, it is at least as funny as any other film from 2001). First, the animation is even better than TS2. What? What did you say? Shrek? Ugh, don't even mention that waste of hard-drive space. Monsters Inc. is simply gorgeous in its color schemes. And the movement of the characters is so smooth it looks almost as if it were just the best stop-motion animation ever created. In the film, there is a Japanese restaurant that the monsters go to that's named after the great stop-motion master Roy Harryhausen. I'm sure he'd be stunned at the accomplishment. Second, it has a couple of the most exciting sequences in animation history, especially the climactic sequence in the door room. That's a scene that'll go down in the books. And, third, it's perhaps the first Disney film since Dumbo to be touching, but not cloying. Although some people have told me that the one song in TS2 made them cry, I personally was cringing through that number. There's a scene in Monsters Inc. that honestly made me cry. Generally, that's not much. I'm easily moved. However, I don't fail to notice if a film is emotionally manipulative. That's not the case here. The only other Disney moment that really touched me that deeply is the "Baby Mine" song from Dumbo. I think that the only people who don't cry during that song are convicts on death row. I really loved the characters in Monsters Inc. The relationship that develops between Sully and Boo is truly touching. It's developed in a very natural way. And it certainly helps that Boo is easily the cutest kid in the universe, even if she's not real. There were a lot of "aww"s in the theater, but they were coming from college students, not maddening parents trying to get their kids to pay attention. Oh! And did I mention that the film's villain is one of Disney's best? He's a chameleon-like monster named Raymond, voiced by Steve Buscemi. Sure, his motives aren't all that interesting, but I love the way he moves. It's amazing. And his face is so expressive, but not too expressive like the characters in, say, ahem, Shrek.

As much as I would love to, I can't say that Monsters Inc. is a perfect film. There are a couple of flaws. The first fifteen minutes or so, basically until Boo wanders out into the monsters' world, are pretty boring. By this point, though, I was so amazed at the beauty of the artwork that I hardly cared. Also, most of the monsters aren't very interesting looking, that is, besides the colors. Raymond and the big boss of Monsters Inc., who is a spider-like creature, are the most interesting. Also, Billy Crystal's girlfriend in the film, a Medusa-like creature, with snakes for hair that copy her emotions, is very cool. Most of the other monsters are so cute that it's a wonder that they can scare children at all! (That's how they get fuel, by the way; children's screams power the monsters' world). Sully, for instance, who is the main character, more or less (the commercials concentrate on Billy Crystal's character more, for some reason; the logic must be that Billy Crystal is a bigger box office draw than big, fat John Goodman, a pretty insulting thought). Anyhow, Boo comes into the monsters' world because she thinks he is a giant kitty! We can't blame them too much for this, though. You know Disney would never produce a film that didn't have an ability to push their line of plush toys. Some of the monsters, though, are kind of boring. This is especially true with Mike, the little green cyclops ball played by Crystal. Sully could become a classic hero, and Raymond a classic villain, but it's doubtful Mike will stick in your head for as long. Crystal is, however, very funny in the film (and that might be the only time I'll ever say that!). He'll never be as boring as Shrek, nor as painful to listen to as Eddie Murphy as the donkey in Shrek. The story of Monsters Inc. is full of cliches, which is unfortunate. As I've been trying to point out, most everything else about the film is so inventive that it's not too noticeable, but it will never be unnoticeable. You'll see the revelation that the monsters have at the end two hours before the movie starts. Your youngest child might not figure it out, but anyone over eight will know as soon as it's humanly possible. There's also the kind of betrayal that's popping up so often now in animation, well, in all movies, really, that you can almost take it for granted anymore. And, heck, I would've predicted it myself if I weren't being so enormously entertained! If it weren't for these cliches, Monsters Inc. might have ended up earning the title as one of the best movies I had ever seen. Still, I'll never forget it! Now, what can Pixar possibly do to surpass this? 9/10.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Colorful images and great imagination, but one heck of an annoying character. *** (out of four)
Movie-1218 November 2001
MONSTERS, INC. / (2001) *** (out of four)

By Blake French:

When I was a kid, I imagined a world of monsters just like the one in "Monsters, Inc." I dreamed of a magical kingdom full of strange, menacing creatures. Creatures that waited anxiously for bedrooms to darken at night so they could jump out of closets and scare unsuspecting children. Alone in my darkened bedroom, surrounded by complete and utter silence, I heard lots of strange noises. When I noticed something unusual, like a sudden squeak or a shadow on the wall, it wasn't uncommon for me to pull the covers over my head. Heck, don't tell anybody, but I still do that today.

Children will remember the characters of this film long after they see it. Expect to hear comments about monsters in the closet weeks after they see it. But their remarks will not come out of terror, but out of pure joy. The Academy Award-winning creators of "Toy Story" give us a new, pleasing insight on monsters. It turns what was once a motif for terror into an imaginative realm of entertaining delight.

This computer animated production represents the most advanced technology of Disney and Pixar, the highly acclaimed team behind such family gems as "A Bug's Life," and "Toy Story 2." From its convincing depiction of monster fur, to the realistic shadowing, lighting, and movement, the filmmakers pay close attention to the even the slightest details.

The story revolves around a massive corporation where all kinds of monsters reside. It's called Monsters, Inc., the biggest scream processing factory in the monster world. Set in Monstropolis, the main power source of the city is the collected screams of human children. We meet a hairy blue creature named Sully (voiced by John Goodman), and his friend, roommate, and assistant, Mike (voiced by Billy Crystal). These guys are the best scream producers ever, much to the dismay of Randall Boggs (voiced by Steve Buscemi), a creepy, lizard monster who will stop at nothing to claim their coveted standing.

One day, Sully accidentally allows a human child to enter the monster world. To complicate matters, human children are said to be highly toxic to monsters and should be avoided at all costs. Sully quickly finds his career in jeopardy and his life in total chaos. When Mike enters the situation, the two uncover a scandal at Monsters, Inc. that will place their very lives in jeopardy.

"Monsters, Inc." works rather well until it introduces this annoying little girl as a plot device. I know I am being excessively critical here, and I know that my personal hatred for whiny, giggly, squirmy infants seized me over. Some audiences will find this character absolutely adorable, maybe even as the film's most distinguished. Though for me, this character almost destroyed the entire movie.

I understand the need for a child to enter Monstropolis, but why couldn't the film have had fun with the idea. Perhaps it could have used a child old enough to understand his circumstances, but young enough to delight in the wonder of his newly discovered world. Instead, the movie gives us a nonsensical plot in which the infant gets herself into one problematic situation after another.

This has worked before. In "Baby's Day Out" we laughed at the accidental irony of the situations. Here, the character gets herself into these situations. She becomes a nuisance even as she initially appears on screen. There is nothing innovative or creative with a young girl running in and out of rooms, yet "Monsters, Inc." insists it's funny. The film becomes a one-joke comedy. If you're old enough to cross the street by yourself, you're probably too sophisticated for this humor.

Despite this parasite of a character, "Monsters, Inc." still manages to come out of the one-joke routine and display a third act of climbing excitement, surprising twists, and entertaining action that will amuse children of all ages. If not for the pesky little girl, this movie might have been one of the most colorfully creative films of the year. All though it is not, "Monsters, Inc." does contain enough imagination and colorful images to warrant a trip to the multiplex.

But don't say I didn't warn you about the kids. During the screening I attended, jam-packed with children running all around and making noise, I had a little boy sitting behind me that kept kicking my seat. Now that's something I never want to see coming out of my closet.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this