IMDb > The First Snow of Winter (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The First Snow of Winter More at IMDbPro »

Heart warming and charming short film

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
4 March 2010

I can't praise this little short film enough. It is sweet, heart warming and charming, and teaches good messages about friendship, survival and danger. The animation is cute and lively, with lovely colours and backgrounds and the character animation is top notch. I loved the music score too, it has an Irish lilt to it and it worked wonders. The story is a simple but heart warming one, the scripting is surprisingly mature and the characters especially Sean and Puffy are adorable. Also superb is the voice acting, with Miriam Margoyles superb as Sean and Dermot Morgan terrific as wise old Voley. Kate Sachs brings vulnerability also to the character of Puffy. I loved "The First Snow of Winter" from beginning to end, it is a lovely, simple, timeless story that the whole family can cherish. 10/10 Bethany Cox

A very sweet short film!

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
3 October 2007

A little duck named Sean and a little puffin named Puffy (imaginitive...) stand in the grass in Ireland, quite close to the sea - and even closer to an ENORMOUS flock of seagulls. Sean cannot help going off to chase them. Beforehand he tells Puffy "Gulls are stupid!" (that is true enough).

So the film continues on to be a very adorable Irish film, only twenty minutes (yet it seems a wee bit longer). "The First Snow Of Winter" is a story of friendship, survival, danger and sadness, with just a hint of message of regret. You are bound to love this, whether an unhappy businessman, or a happy little wee child or bairn (Guess Scottish and Irish has seeped into this review, eh?).

So admire the luck of the Irish, the animals and the love in this film and you are not likely to be disappointed! Enjoy "The First Snow Of Winter".

A brilliant must see!!!

Author: Gwen-8 from Wiltshire
17 June 1999

This animated story about Sean McDuck is well written and well made. The drawings are sweet and lively, especially the Irish dancing part. A must see for all ages.

Voley is quite big...

Author: Ann Vole
24 October 1999

I thought Voley, a vole, was drawn too big for a vole until I saw a site about a species (Arvicola terrestris) that is about the right size (bigger then a cat) and lives in England.

About the film, I liked the animation, story line, direction, and voice acting (especialy the accents!) and will serve as an inspiration for my future media projects (animation, childrens books/video, nature filmmaking, web design)