IMDb > The First Snow of Winter (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The First Snow of Winter More at IMDbPro »

Heart warming and charming short film

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
4 March 2010

I can't praise this little short film enough. It is sweet, heart warming and charming, and teaches good messages about friendship, survival and danger. The animation is cute and lively, with lovely colours and backgrounds and the character animation is top notch. I loved the music score too, it has an Irish lilt to it and it worked wonders. The story is a simple but heart warming one, the scripting is surprisingly mature and the characters especially Sean and Puffy are adorable. Also superb is the voice acting, with Miriam Margoyles superb as Sean and Dermot Morgan terrific as wise old Voley. Kate Sachs brings vulnerability also to the character of Puffy. I loved "The First Snow of Winter" from beginning to end, it is a lovely, simple, timeless story that the whole family can cherish. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Pretty predictable and by the books, but still successful

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
5 February 2017

"The First Snow of Winter" is a 28-minute animated short film from 1998, so this one has its 20th anniversary next year. It was written and directed by Graham Ralph and it is quite possibly his most known work. I watched this now in early February, where the appropriate title would rather be "The Last Snow of Winter", but it doesn't really matter. This film can be appreciated during any time of the year really. I think there is no real greatness here, but goodness in every area and corner. The voice acting is solid as well as the soundtrack. The animation certainly looks 15-20 years older than late 1990s, but this adds just to the charm and simplicity of the whole thing. The story is really by the books in terms of the inclusion of the main character, his friends, his family and the antagonist. Maybe the other little bird did not do too much for me, even if I like the species. But Sean and Voley sure were great fun together and honestly, I really hoped towards the end that Voley would be alive. Of course, he would be, it's a kids film after all. How could I have doubts for a second. This is a charming little movie for sure and I liked it. Thumbs up, go let your kids see it and maybe, just maybe, you will enjoy it as well. Or maybe it will even bring back some amazing memories to you.

A brilliant must see!!!

Author: Gwen-8 from Wiltshire
17 June 1999

This animated story about Sean McDuck is well written and well made. The drawings are sweet and lively, especially the Irish dancing part. A must see for all ages.

A very sweet short film!

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
3 October 2007

A little duck named Sean and a little puffin named Puffy (imaginitive...) stand in the grass in Ireland, quite close to the sea - and even closer to an ENORMOUS flock of seagulls. Sean cannot help going off to chase them. Beforehand he tells Puffy "Gulls are stupid!" (that is true enough).

So the film continues on to be a very adorable Irish film, only twenty minutes (yet it seems a wee bit longer). "The First Snow Of Winter" is a story of friendship, survival, danger and sadness, with just a hint of message of regret. You are bound to love this, whether an unhappy businessman, or a happy little wee child or bairn (Guess Scottish and Irish has seeped into this review, eh?).

So admire the luck of the Irish, the animals and the love in this film and you are not likely to be disappointed! Enjoy "The First Snow Of Winter".

Voley is quite big...

Author: Ann Vole
24 October 1999

I thought Voley, a vole, was drawn too big for a vole until I saw a site about a species (Arvicola terrestris) that is about the right size (bigger then a cat) and lives in England.

About the film, I liked the animation, story line, direction, and voice acting (especialy the accents!) and will serve as an inspiration for my future media projects (animation, childrens books/video, nature filmmaking, web design)