IMDb > Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost (1999) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost (V) More at IMDbPro »

Best Scooby Doo movie out there

Author: Joel (Tenchi64589@aol.com) from Flower Mound, Texas
21 October 2006

I started watching the original show when I first got the Cartoon Network, and as soon as I found out that they were making movies separate to the usual formula of fake villains, I just had to check 'em out.

Don't get me wrong; Zombie Island was cool too, but this one in particular is by far my favorite.

This has got to be one of the best of these movies simply because of the fact that the gang faces off against a conjured ghost... it also sheds some much-needed light on the differences between wiccans and witches.

Not only is the plot a draw, but the music was pretty cool too. The Hex Girls were pretty killer for an animated band.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. I even look for it every October.

Much better than you'd expect – comedy, good animation and all the old favourites

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
18 July 2002

Whilst investigating a haunted museum the gang meet horror writer Ben Ravencroft and get invited back to his hometown. When they get to Oakhaven they find the tourist season at full flow – attracted by tales of the ghost of Ben's ancestor who was burnt as a witch. The gang begin to try and unravel the town's mystery despite the many red herrings.

This update of Scooby Doo is much better than you'd expect it to be. The plot is just what you expect from Scooby Doo (witch haunting town – but is it real or is someone up to no good etc). However it does have a little added spice by having some modern twists – like the fact that Fred always wants to go off with Daphne when they split, or Fred being tired getting called a `kid', or Thelma's geeky status nicely kept.

The plot is good for the most, with plenty of red herrings to make it less than obvious as to who's behind everything. The animation is good – the gang are nearly identical to the original, with the exception maybe of Fred. However the feel of the film is quite like the dark mood of the Batman animated series. The only complaint is that you can that it is modern by the use of car chases, supernatural battles and Batman-type fights. However it is good to see the characters in a well animated adventure – even if some of the ghosts are more scary and less comedy that they are usually.

The voice work is good – except Fred doesn't sound quite like he should. Tim Curry is good but really you know that if he's going to do the voice then his character is going have some meat on it. The `ghost' is poor – all `thee' and `thou'. But in the most case the voices are fine.

Overall it is a modern telling so we really do have ghosts etc, but apart from this it's actually very enjoyable – the humour, the pop culture references etc all made it much better than I thought it would be, even if some of (The Hex Girls) doesn't work very well. Oh – and did we need to have the Scooby Doo theme song by Billy Ray Cyrus?

Some of the voices might be different, but the magic is still there.

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
6 October 2000

I'm 21 and I admit, I watch Scooby Doo videos, ok? Good then. Well, I gotta say this is one of the better ones in the video series. The voices are awesome, including Tim Curry as Ben Ravencroft, who is a horror writer that the gang meet. He is going back to his hometown for the Autumn Fest, and he invites the gang along, Velma being one of his biggest fans. They learn about one of Ben's ancestors named Sarah Ravencroft who was marked a witch. Her ghost is supposedly haunting the city, and it makes for a very big festival near Halloween. The usual Scooby stuff happens here. Shaggy and Scooby are big chickens and try to stay away from the action, and they eat a ton of food at the local diner. For a cheap Scooby Doo movie released only on video, it has a really entertaining plot, and a surprise ending. You think it's all over and done with, and then you get an ending that you never expect. It's a good movie, and the voices are done really well.

My personal favourite of the Scooby Doo movies

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 February 2009

This is very good. The animation is great, so beautifully done the backgrounds were,the story is neatly-set up, and this is the movie with the best voice talent. The only criticism with the movie is the song "wind, earth, fire and air" as the lyrics are rather uninspired. Tim Curry does a fantastic job in one of his most entertaining voice overs, especially when Ben is revealed evil, and Curry is allowed to show off his impeccable villainous side. The ending is quite good, and the Hex Girls are great. The ghost is 400 years old, so the language is obviously going to be different, comprehend. This is one of the best Scooby Doo movies, better than What's New Scooby Doo? anyway. Watch out for Goblin King and Zombie Island too. In case you haven't noticed, most of my reviews are positive, because I want to be encouraging about the films I've seen, and evaluate the problems also. 9/10. Bethany Cox

Velma's story

Author: DarthBill from United States
12 April 2004

In this follow up to "Zombie Island", Velma finally gets a shot at romance when she and the gang meet Ben Ravencroft, a horror author with a shady family history - was his great, great, great grandma a witch of a wiccan? Well, someone's terrorizing his home town - is it a genuine witch or are the towns people trying to pull a scam? Do those creepy Vampire Singer girls have anything to do with it? The usual gags and calamity ensue.

In addition to Velma's love story, another innocent observation is made about Fred & Daphne - namely that Fred is always pairing himself with Daphne when the gang splits up. Shaggy finally shows interest in women, which later becomes a big factor in "Alien Invaders". Shaggy also appears to be shorter here than he used to be; he was always the tallest of the bunch but now appears to be hunched over. Must be the new animation.

But this is really about Velma and her long ignored need for love and affection (hinted at when she got all giggly around the rugged detective gardener at the end of "Zombie Island"). Never before has Velma ever had this kind of treatment in an animated Scooby feature, and odds are she won't get it again. And backing her up is the usual gang and good animation. Probably not for little kids though.

One of my favourite Scooby Doo films.

Author: xsophietaylorx from United Kingdom
13 October 2014

I have been a really big fan off scooby doo for as long as I can remember I literally grew up watching episodes of the gang exploring ghost and ghouls and I loved every minute of every episode. I soon discovered the films and got them all on tape and to this day I still watch them all the time even as I've grown they haven't got any less enjoyable. Scooby Doo & The Witch's Ghost is some really good fun and an enjoyable film for all ages the story is interesting and like most of the films has a surprising ending it's always someone you don't suspect! Scooby Doo & The Witch's Ghost is funny and has all the loving gang in it the music is also good the soundtrack being unique. I would recommend this film to anyone and especially to a scooby doo fan! Really is some enjoyable harmless fun.

Another Great mystery.

Author: kyle-mcdonald from Canada
4 August 2009

Well I have seen this movie a number of times and every time I watch my opinion has always been the same and that is this movie is great and I will always love it. The storyline this movie follows is very well written, well plotted, and very interesting. The animation in this is very well done all of the characters are very well designed and very well drawn. The voice over actors are really amazing such as Scott Innes as Scooby-Doo and Shaggy, Frank Welker as Fred, Mary Kay Bergman as Daphne, B.J. Ward as Velma, and they even have Tim Curry as Ben Ravencroft. The way the voice actors act with there voices is really good. So All I can say to you is that this movie is really good and I am sure that you well not be disappointed with it. So make sure that you rent or buy Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost.

Overall Rating: ********* out of **********

****1/2 out of *****

Some may consider this a spoiler so that is why I saved it for last. I have to say how I liked the fact that the main ghost is real and not somebody in a mask similar to Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island which is another great Scooby-Doo movie.

my fave of the video movies

Author: kayebtoyz from usa
19 October 2002

I thought that this movie was great. It was the first one of them that I had seen (no cash for cable in college). In fact, it was so entertaining with modernizations and spelling out of old jokes (Daphne and Fred always going off together during the splitting up parts, not to mention the jealousy) that it wasn't until the 2nd viewing that I realized that one my all time favorite actors was one of the voices (the god Tim Curry).

Even after seeing some of the other straight to video movies this one is still my favorite. I hope that there will be more, even with the laugh-til-my-face-hurts live action theatre release movies. Keep the Scooby saga alive!

Contemporary Scooby Doo.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
25 October 2014

In this more contemporary Scooby Doo movie, the Mystery Inc. gang visits the the small town of Oakhaven. There, they discover the history of a witch named Sarah Ravencroft and witnesses the appearance of the Hex girls, which brings about mysterious sightings throughout the town.

The animation in this movie was very colorful and the plot was somewhat suspenseful, making the story elements, especially that of the witches, actually chilling and more thrilling than the story lines of the original Scooby-Doo series. It was great seeing Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby all banding together again to solve the mystery; you can tell that the humor, jokes and dialog have a more hip and modern touch to it - to keep in line with the late 1990s and early 2000s fad.

While a pretty fun and entertaining movie, it doesn't have that unique flavor of the classic Scooby-Doo series. It was interesting and noteworthy, though, to see this movie contain real supernatural forces. It's worthy to see - younger kids would enjoy this.

Grade B-

8/10 good

Author: morantjavonte from United States
7 November 2013

This was good and I give it a 8/10. Compared to the previous one it is no where near. I think the fake which is scary as heck. I was crying and laughing when Shaggy and Scooby got terrified of the Hex Girls. I never expected that man to be evil like that. Also we finally hear the question we always wanted. Why does Fred always want to be with Daphne. I still hate the fact we have to here those immature people say they have s*x all the time. I still do my best to ignore. I always thought this one comes behind Zombie Island and Cyber Chase. It is better than Alien Invaders(even though that one is good to). I was pretty happy the tone of villains got down a little after this movie to make it more child-friendly. Overall great and it is a must watch.