IMDb > Pirates of the Plain (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pirates of the Plain More at IMDbPro »

Note the Vote rating number is not correct

Author: (curatorfilm@webtv.net) from Chicago
2 June 2002

Most of the voters gave this movie a 10 so obviously 3.4 average is not correct. The arithmetic mean is 7 which is a much better way to judge the viewer's opinion anyway. The film is really fun, not at all cynical, and highly recommended. Pirates travel through time to our world. Is it in the boys imagination or not? See the film and find out. This tape is not at any video seller yet. I hope it comes out instead of stuck on HBO at 6 in the morning.

It looks like they had a ball making it too.

Great Family Film

Author: savanna-2 from USA
18 July 2001

I just watched this film on a premium channel and agree with the other comments concerning the release and marketing of this film. It's a shame this film only had a limited theatre release, before hitting the video shelves and premium cable channels. The production values are excellent, good writing and fun for adults and children. A true family film. In fact, I don't have children and my boyfriend and I really enjoyed this film. Make an effort to see this film, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

What a pity that this movie wasn't released theatrically!

Author: filozof (mehmetdemirhan@yahoo.com) from Istanbul, Turkey
10 January 2001

I am a program buyer for a TV channel and when I saw the film I never hesitated to acquire it. In our country the film made its premiere on our channel. Though the intro parts are held a bit longer, it has a genuine and entertaining story. Pirates from the past caught in a time-storm come to our time in search for a treasure and a young imaginative boy lives an exciting home alone time. Tim Curry is quite nice as pirate leader Jezebel Jack who will discover that there are treasures in life more valuable than gold.

OK kiddie film

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
7 October 2007

Enjoyable kids' film about 18th century pirates loose in 20th century Nebraska, searching for buried treasure. They get there via a wormhole. Tim Curry is the first to arrive, and befriends a young boy who holds a treasure map inherited from his dad. The first half of the film is Curry and the kid bonding. The second half is a rehash of HOME ALONE, and not a very good rehash, unfortunately. Nevertheless, the smaller tykes should eat this up. Curry is great as Captain Jezebel Jack, and Dee "Cujo" Stone is the kid's mom. Directed by John "Ernest Saves Christmas" Cherry on a minuscule budget with South Africa standing in for Nebraska.

"Home Alone" with Pirates

Author: Dash_Rendar from United States
9 May 2006

Yep, that title pretty much sums it up. Just substitute the burglars with pirates and you have your movie. It's probably too cheesy for most adults to sit through, but I'm sure that most kids will enjoy this film. Especially if they like pirates.

The plot involves a boy by the name of Bobby who spends most of his time imagining himself in different adventures instead of concentrating in the real world. He's left alone at his Nebraska house while his mother and grandfather are away. It is then that a real adventure comes knocking on his door. An infamous pirate by the name of Jezebel Jack (Tim Curry) escapes the clutches of his crew-mates who just declared mutiny on him. Somehow, he winds up in the present day outside of Bobby's house and he struggles to fit in with the modern lifestyle. Meanwhile, Jack's shipmates follow his trail into the modern world and Jack forms an alliance with Bobby to defend his home against Jack's former crew. It's as ridiculous as it sounds. As long as you're able to not take it seriously, there is some fun to be found in this film.

With that being said, it's safe to say that Pirates of the Plain is a carry job by Curry. Without him, the film would have collapsed under its own ridiculousness. He brings credibility to something that otherwise would have failed miserably. I'm convinced that he is incapable of a bad performance. Whether it's big budget pictures, cult classics, Broadway shows, or direct-to-video stuff like this, you can always count on Curry to deliver the goods.

As I stated earlier, Pirates of the Plain is not for everyone and will mostly appeal to children. At the very least however, Curry is always fun to watch and should offer enough reason for the casual viewer to give this one a try.

Great show for Kids!

Author: rbloodworth-1 from United States
12 December 2005

I'm very surprised that this movie has not receive a higher rating from viewers. My family and I purchased this via "On Demand" digital cable, and had never heard of the movie before, but was pleasantly surprised by the great acting and storyline. My children are 3 and 6, and love pirates. So, we talked and laughed about this movie for days afterward.

This is also the best movie that I have ever seen Tim Curry in. He and the young boy are stellar together. The boy is such an amazingly talented young actor as well. This is definitely a kid movie, and the stunt work is amazing. So, if your child loves adventure, this is one of the best movies around to fire their imagination.

Just Great...

Author: (goldfinger2a@ntlworld.com) from Yorkshire-United Kingdom
7 April 2002

Hi there...

Pirates of the Plain was on one of my cable channels at 6.30am, and l just left it on while l had my breakfast this morning (8th)April.....

I am glad l did, l am a great fan of Tim Curry, and it had everything that a good film should have, a great family film, and for someone who likes all action films this was a real treat, yes there is action but it is done with family in mind.

It was also nice to see Charles Napier in an non "baddie" role...

If you get a chance to see Pirates of the Plain see it, and enjoy...

Why wasn't this movie released????

Author: Brie Gainer from Dallas, Texas
23 April 2000

Rumours abound that the funds simply weren't there to have this movie released to a major market, and it went straight-to-video for the most part.

I am one of the few lucky Tim Curry fans to have seen "Pirates of the Plain" in an actual theater. In January 2000, USA Film Festival hosted KidFilm 2000. Two movies wrapped up the weekend of kid & family oriented movies: the classic "Wizard of Oz" and the new "Pirates of the Plain".

The audience was made up mainly of boys (go figure), a handful of girls, and a bunch of parents. I can honestly tell you that EVERYONE in the theater was entranced! Pirates is a genuinely exciting film!

A kind of "Home Alone" meets "Muppets Treasure Island", there was something for everyone. The entire audience, including adults, laughed and were amazed throughout the movie.

Nutshell: a young boy's hyper-active imagination, a storm, a ship, an audacious pirate, a fight, and a treasure? AND they save the family farm in one afternoon! Who can beat that?!

wonderful fantasy film, especially for children

Author: pineconeland from connecticut, usa
18 September 2004

I love the film's analogy of the prairie of Nebraska with the sea.

It may not be such a great idea to equate the developers ability to manipulate the laws with that of a pirate to rob and steal, but if then again, if the shoe fits ~ children know truth when they see it.

I loved this movie. It was true to life but extremely creative, and empowering to children who have been abandoned by so called adults who indulge their sensations at the expense of extreme vulnerabilities of mothers and their children.

Great kids movie!!!

Author: from United States
3 August 2006

Tim Curry is a fantastic pirate. I was thrilled by the similarities between his earlier performance here and Johnny Depp's in "Pirate of the Caribbean". The characters are very similar and each gives it their own special touch. His performance more than makes up for the small faults in the movie.

Also notice the similarities between DeGroot here and Pintel in PotC and the also other pirates. Note how PotC uses the monkey ("Jack") instead of the witch doctor. It would be interesting to know how much this movie influenced the writers and actors who did PotC. There's not a copyright case here, but there are too many similarities for it to be simply a coincidence.