IMDb > "Smack the Pony" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Smack the Pony" More at IMDbPro »

Genius!

Author: firiffic from New Zealand
9 September 2003

The writing of this comedy along with a superb cast lead by three extremely funny women make this show wonderful. The half an hour speeds by leaving you wishing for more, much more. The scenes are always unpredictable so there is always a surprise. If you get the chance to see any of them, don't miss it!

Great Show!!!!!

Author: mildckn from Chicago
24 July 2001

"Smack the Pony" is, without a doubt, one of the best TV shows out there. Ever since I came upon it by accident while channel surfing, I have loved it. The show is very unique and very creative. If you are a fan of British comedy, or of sketch comedy, or if you just want a good laugh, you will enjoy "Pony". It is a shame that Bravo tends to show it sporadically here in the US. Well, that's better than them not showing it at all.

"Big Train" with Girls

Author: gmstam from Brisbane, Australia
25 May 2000

If you've ever marveled at Big Train's unique form of sketch comedy you'll love this, the main cast are all female, Doon from Knowing Me Knowing You and Day Today and the chambermaid Sophie from I'm Alan Partridge amongst others. Like early French and Saunders but very in your face and really funny. Since I'm Alan Partridge in 1997, the most innovative and funny Brit comedies have all been sketch-based like Big Train, Goodness Gracious me and now Smack the Pony

Best britcom Since Absolutely Fabulous

Author: medusalith from RI
31 December 1999

If you like Britcoms,this show is for you. Its kind of like a British SNL when SNL was good. Hilarious and unpredictable. If you miss Absolutely Fabulous, check this one out, you will surely love this just as much as AbFab. I wouldn't be surprised to see this marvelous show on comedy central in the near future. But then again, it is a hard show to find on TV. The only place I've been lucky enough to catch it was on bravo, and some states don't even get bravo. but, If you have the chance to watch this terrific show, don't hesitate.

Very Funny

Author: Karissa from WI, USA
22 December 2002

This is a hilarious show. I watched it while on vacation in Europe and it reminded me of old Saturday Night Lives (when it was extremely good). Smack the Pony seems to have more story. It is one of the funniest shows I have seen.

Smack the Pony

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
27 July 2009

I understand that the title is meant to sound like a euphemism for female masturbation, it is certainly a funny sketch show, probably one of the only near full female ones. Written by and starring Fiona Allen, Doon Mackichan and British Comedy Award nominated Sally Phillips, with regular appearances by Sarah Alexander and Darren Boyd, this sketch show with no reoccurring characters, only certain situations and themes, is fantastically funny. The show combines great dialogue in both realistic and surreal comedy scenes to create some terrific jokes laughs, genius, cringing and fun to watch. The reoccurring situations include unsuccessful relationships, competition in the work place and latent lesbianism. The reoccurring themes include the dating agency videos on video and online, and of course the fantastic spoof songs at the end of each episode. It was nominated the BAFTA TV Awards for Best Comedy Programme or Series (three times), and the British Comedy Award for Best Broken Comedy Show. Very good!

brilliant!

Author: Cindy from Los Angeles
13 January 2000

Thank goodness for Bravo, which is airing Smack the Pony in the U.S., otherwise I would never have gotten to see this hilarious show. The actors of Smack the Pony's cast are somehow able to act each part with deadpan perfection, and the writing is always unpredictable and hilarious. One particularly nice feature that Smack the Pony has taken advantage of is that each sketch is short and to the point, UNLIKE other sketch comedy shows (one in particular with the initials S.N.L.) that just drag on and on, wallowing in their own stupidity. It's no comparison, really.. P.S. Americans might need to watch the show with closed captioning turned on occasionally.

Clever, seemingly big-budget - shot on film

Author: Suzie Park from New York
29 September 2000

I like the shot-on-film look, especially for many of their sketches which are "realistic." They seem to shoot in a variety of locations, and the actors are quite versatile. Also note that this is not "British humor", which I don't always get. I just caught this on Bravo (9/29/00).

Very Funny

Author: anita-18 from Boston
25 February 2000

Short sketches, very silly and bizarre - a little like Kids in the Hall. I love the "video interviews" for the Dating Service. It's sometimes difficult to understand because of the quick- and soft-spoken dialogue. It's becoming my favorite show.

Even the title is funny!

Author: JZvezda from doubled over in laughter
7 March 2003

Whippee!

"Smack The Pony" was true twisted television. BRAVO kept it hidden in a late-night weekend time-slot, but this comedy-craving insomniac was not to be denied. "SMP" had me peeing my Calvins. I loved it, I never missed an episode, and my couch still has the urine-stains to prove it.

I don't think this show was anything like "Saturday Night Live". SNL has always been content in it's role as a mostly political/pop culture parody. SMP mostly avoided those themes-- eschewing celebrity impressions and giving us quirky, delightfully-bizarre, slice-o-life comedy. The 90 minute SNL moves with all the momentum of a drunk moth in a bowl of cold punch. SMP scoots right along, thanks to it's ultra-quick sketches and 30 minute running time. When the half hour is up, you're left wanting more.

Perhaps the most significant difference is that Smack The Pony featured a primarily all-female cast. Gifted comediannes all. The divine ladies of SNL have nothing on them.

Two of my favorite sketches are the ice-skaters in the kiss-n-cry (think: tongues) and the dental hygienist from hell (think: she's not very hygienic). Time to coat the sofa in plastic!

One of the funniest shows ever. Honestly.