IMDb > Saving Grace (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Saving Grace

Saving Grace More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The kind of film Hollywood would never dare make

Author: Jose E
29 November 2003

I just thought it was excellent and I still do. I'm grateful we're still able to see different stuff from what Hollywood almost floods us with. Saving Grace is smart and enjoyable - those who feel offended by the marijuana thing better go see the America's bride sort of movie.

Saving Grace also shows that a funny movie doesn't have to be stupid. I was laughing my ass off during most of it but also pondering questions about what was the female lead character supposed to do to pay her deceased husband's debts.

In a nutshell - a witty storyline with typical English humour and good acting and directing. You couldn't ask for more.

7/10.

What British film making is all about . . .

Author: naomi.rose from bristol
2 August 2000

Great actors, an oscar nominee actress, stunning scenery, good strong story line and more laughs than you can fit into my new handbag (and thats quite big). This film was brilliant. It was beautifully acted in the more serious scenes and the funny moments were . .well, side splitting. I have never heard a cinema audience laugh so much, and tears were streaming down my cheeks during the 'stoned ladies in the tea shop' scene. Well done to the British film industry and to Craig Ferguson whose magic ingredients have made sure this is one of my favourite films of the year, if not of all time.

Drug trafficking, the elegant way.

Author: shu-fen from Hong Kong, China
21 December 2003

What is so startling to me is the number of comments here. How come, 93! The film has utterly fallen into obscurity in town. I just by chance popped by a VCD shop, which is on sale, and so fortunately to have picked up this hilarious movie (73pence or US$1.29 ^_^).

The film title is just funny enough to make you associate the story with it.

Grace, played by the versatile actress Brenda Blethyn, was in financial trouble. And this small and elegant English village lady cannot but save herself by a not-so-elegant trade through the help of her own gardener and her late husband's unseen mistress in London.

I especially like the daredevil scene when Grace is fully dressed up touting her masterpiece cannabis (cultured in her own green house) to the undesirable figures in sleazy areas in London. Her act is comical, prudent and daring at the same time. I find it hard to imagine a well-dressed and French speaking Chinese grandma would approach me touting home-made grass so reeklessly in Wanchai or Mongkok.

English humour or European subtlety can never be reproduced by Hollywood, the air, the smell, everything belongs to the Brits and Europeans. Lovely small production with bold attempt.

Delightful

Author: dolores1965 from Caracas, Venezuela
22 April 2004

Excellent view of a mature woman, that is going to lose everything (even the pruner has a mortgage). The way she gets involved into this special "business", the innocence, and the true love that exists between the people of a little town, it's mixed perfectly to give us as result a fresh, light and funny comedy. I couldn't stop laughing with a very funny scene of two old ladies in a drugstore.

I love European films, and with movies like this one, my opinion grows stronger. A movie that I also recommend with my eyes closed, in this same genre, is Waking Ned Devine.

Saving Grace, a comedy that many friends enjoyed as much as myself. You will love it.

Take the high road to a comedy that truly lights up.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
18 November 2005

Saving Grace is a nice movie to watch in a boring afternoon,when you are looking for something different than the regular scripts and wants to have some fun. I mean,the whole idea of this movie and all the marijuana in it is such a craziness! It was the first movie I watched with this theme(drugs/marijuana) that is not really criticizing it,only making jokes about it. Grace Trevethyn is a widow,who lives in a small town in U.K. and has many financial problems because of her dead husband, who committed suicide since he was full of debts. The problem is that Grace, who imagined to have some money saved for her, discovers that she needs to pay all of her husband's pounds in debts to not lose all of her things, specially her house that she loves so much. She never worked before, and is in a tragic situation until Matthew,her gardener who is very found of smoking pot, decides to make a partnership with her in selling marijuana in large scale.

Feel-good movie

Author: yvonatron from United States
30 December 2003

This movie is inspiring to anyone who is or has been in a tough jam, whether financially or emotionally. You will definitely laugh, which is the best medicine! :) Left in a bad financial situation when her husband dies, Grace has to find a new way to make some money and it's not exactly legal which adds to the humour. Even my boyfriend liked it so don't think that it's a chick-flic.

Top banana!

Author: lukeyboy44 from Birmingham, England
2 July 2003

Saving Grace proves once again that you can't beat a good old dose of British humour. Despite an admittedly dodgy ending, this quaint and charming story of one woman's unique method of raising much-needed money lights up (Weak pun intended) my day every time I watch it. Brenda Blethyn is faultless as always and the ensemble cast are superb. (Especially the legendary Lesley Phillips - this man deserves a knighthood! It's full of comedic gems, too, such as the doctor's 'bad news' regarding one woman's pregnancy. The post-office scene is also destined to become a classic (It's frighteningly realistic, too. I should know...)All in all, only a dope (Yes, another tragic pun) would fail to be enchanted by this wonderful little film.

Liked it, but disappointed in the end.

Author: rsd22 from Vermont
5 October 2002

A delightful gentle comedic gem, until the last five minutes, which degenerate into run of the mill British TV farce. The last five minutes cost it 2 points in my rating. Despite this major plot and style flaw, it's worth watching for the character acting and the unique Cornwall setting. Many fine little bits to savor, like the tense eternity we all go through waiting for the bank approval after the clerk has swiped the credit card...made more piquant when we're not - quite - sure the card is not maxed.

A Lovely, Charming Movie

Author: John Morrison from Vancouver, BC Canada
14 January 2002

A lovely, charming movie in the vein of Local Hero (http://us.imdb.com/Details?0085859): it populates a small coastal town in Cornwall, England with gentle ordinary folk who all get dragged into or affected by a plan to save a lady in the town who has fallen on hard times.

Lots of little fun bits easily lost in first viewing e.g. note who is serving drinks in the bar at the end of the movie :-) And the scene close to the end of the movie where all the inhabitants are dancing on the lawn, including a naked policeman (you can tell he is a policeman because he still has his helmet on!), is absolutely priceless.

A lovable, feel-good comedy

Author: moviesleuth2
26 November 2009

Charming doesn't even begin to describe "Saving Grace;" it's absolutely irresistible! Anyone who ventures into this movie will leave with their spirits soaring high (haha).

Grace Trevethyn (Brenda Blethyn) has just lost her husband, but her problems are about to get a whole lot worse. Her dearly departed has left her with no money and outstanding debts. Faced with losing everything, she has to find out a way to get a lot of cash...fast! She gets an idea when her gardener, Matthew (Craig Ferguson) asks the town-famous horticulturist to give him advice on a plant he is secretly growing. Grace immediately realizes that his plant is marijuana, so they decide to use her gardening skills to grow a lot of top-quality weed, and then sell it to pay off her outstanding debts.

The most notable quality about "Saving Grace" is its likability. Every character is extremely sympathetic, and, save for the first 20 or so minutes, the film is non-stop good cheer. Everyone wants a happy ending for everyone, even if it means turning a blind eye to some rather illegal activities.

The acting is top-notch. Brenda Blethyn is one of Britain's finest actresses, and here is why. She turns what could have been a caricature into a fully living and breathing individual. She's a nice lady, but she's not stupid. Craig Ferguson is equally amiable as Matthew. He's a deadbeat loser, but he's so likable that it doesn't matter. The rest of the ensemble cast fits in this category as well, but special mention has to go to Tcheky Karyo. The French actor always has a aura of menace about him, and that suits him well, but he also has great comedy skills.

Nigel Cole finds the perfect tone for "Saving Grace." It's all about the charm. One of the problems I have with British humor is that all the energy seems to be drained out of the film. Not so here. The film is thoroughly likable and always amusing. That's not to say that "Saving Grace" is just a likable movie that will leave you with a grin and a good feeling. While this movie is not an out and out comedy, it does boast two or three scenes that are nothing short of hysterical.

If there's any problem with the film, it's that the climax is a little confusing. The questions are answered though, and the ending boasts an unexpected twist.

See "Saving Grace," especially when you're having a bad day.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]