IMDb > Magic Christmas Tree (1964) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Magic Christmas Tree More at IMDbPro »

"What is it that there is nothing in the paper about?"

Author: Gangsteroctopus (gangsteroctopus@socal.rr.com) from SoCal
14 November 2001

That is, in fact, an actual line of dialogue from the film, and it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. In other words...low, low budget; elementary school-level acting; post-synched dialogue (a la Coleman Francis); and a plot that seems like it was made up as they went along. For those of us who love movies that are so excruciatingly awful that they go full circle into the territory of unintentionally surreal brilliance, then this is totally for you.

The "wacky" lawnmower-starting scene goes on FOREVER. I kept waiting for the dad to run over Ichabod, the tortoise.

I can totally imagine seeing this projected in 16mm on a white-painted brick wall back when I was in grade school at Green Lake Elementary.

It's like a kids' film directed by the people at Centron. This is one of those weird, institutional-feeling movies that would seem to be perfect fodder for the MST3K guys. But really, it's sufficiently goofy enough on its own to provide an hour's worth of perverse amusement.

If you can track down a copy I highly recommend it. I use it every year to torture my family.

Creepy and depressed...

Author: Son of Cathode from New England
30 May 2000

A very cheap, very depressed, extremely odd piece of Grade-Z kiddie cinema with a creepy, sterile suburban motif. This one's like watching an old educational film from the '50s gone mental; the plot and dialog crawl along mercilessly. Our hero is a pudgy little boy, and the title "magic" tree is very effeminate. Film starts off like THE WIZARD OF OZ, with a black and white prolog in which our hero falls out of a tree and dreams (in color) his family and the tree and everything else. There are odd scenes with a goofy giant and a hideous witch. Then it's back to black and white for the finale. Whew! And it all happens in an hour! For some reason, this wacky, woebegone holiday cheapie reminds me of Peter Bogdonovich's TARGETS; TMCT (perhaps unwittingly) recreates much of the same sterile, repressed-hysteria atmosphere of '60s suburban angst as that pivotal movie. The spooky, paranoid TV ads for this movie warned: "No Adults Admitted Without Children..."

Deliciously BAD!!!

Author: shark-43 from L.A. CA
10 August 2007

THE MAGIC Christmas TREE is one of the worst kiddie movies ever made. Obviously made with NO budget, the acting is atrocious - the guy who plays the father has a scene where he tries to start the family lawn mower and this "bit" goes on FOREVER - he pulls the chord - nothing - he pulls the chord - nothing - but they always add absurd sound effects with each pull! Circus horns, whatever, etc.....this disaster isn't quite as good/bad as Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny but it sure is close. The scene where the little boy is lost in the woods and confronted by a giant "woodsman" is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen - it unintentionally is more uncomfortable than Ned Beatty's scenes in Deliverance. Obviously this thing was made for nothing and probably shown at schools and churches and such. Man, the only good performance in the whole thing is given by Ichabod, an actual tortoise who is shown eating clover (LOTS of clover - they obviously show this a lot only because they hoped to "pad" the running time of the movie.)

Comedy

Author: nccollins-1 from Canada
12 January 2005

This movie is so bad it can only be watched with a sense of humour. It contains such scenes as a race between a man pushing a lawn mower and a turtle. The acting in this movie is pretty bad, and the plot is confusing. Due to poor editing the sound is off for some of the scenes (such as the chopping the Christmas tree down). The sound of ax hitting the tree is delayed by almost a second. Furthermore, there are some scenes which do not relate to the plot (what little there is), for example the scenes with the mother on the phone with her friend. The audience gets to hear one side of the conversation, with no advancement of the plot, and it doesn't really tie in to the rest of the movie. I have fond memories of literally rolling around on the floor laughing at this movie. It is literally this funny. It is now a family joke about the taste of the person who rented it thinking it would be a nice family Christmas movie. Needless to say they aren't encouraged to rent movies on their own anymore.

Don't inhale, may cause dain bramage.

Author: nprata from USA
24 December 2001

Think of a seriously shoddy and underbudgeted TV movie from yesteryear, add strong dashes of evil and homoeroticism, and hire a cast missing half their chromosomes and you'll end up with THE MAGIC CHRISTMAS TREE. The only "magic" is that this piece of junk was made at all. I can't help but wonder if the executive who signed off on it lost his job...we can only hope. Let me put it another way, the blurb on the VHS, and most of the reviews can't agree on little things like the main character's name or whether or not the "movie" takes place with snow on the ground; I suspect the critics could not bear to watch the whole thing. A trite and joyless experience that will leave you rummaging through the medicine cabinet.

A horrible plot with fast motion.

Author: mazaremba from United States
15 January 2006

This has got to be the worst movie ever written by mankind. The film starts out in black and white and suddenly it is in color. However, the transition is not as "magic" as the Wizard of Oz. The reason for this: the audio does not ever line up with the peoples mouth movements.

The plot is somewhat like this: "Marc's" friends are babies and won't follow him up on a dare. So Marc goes and sees the crazy witch and gets her cat down from a tree. Presto! A reward is given to him...all he has to do is plant the ring and he will get a magic tree. So we move through the calendar. Now it's Thanksgiving, and before you know it, we have Xmas Eve. If you have survived this long, you know about the horrible lawn mowing scene, that is way too long. Long story short: the rest of the movie makes no sense, "Marc" learns a lesson about being greedy, and everything ends out OK...wish I could say the same for my brain.

When someone can explain the giant man in the forest to me, I'll listen, but I doubt that it will make any sort of sense.

Unbelievable

Author: lemon_magic from Wavy Wheat, Nebraska
18 December 2012

I am watching Rifftrax riff on this turgid little kiddie's flick and I can't believe my eyes. (And I managed to sit through "Deafula" and "The Magic Land Of Mother Goose).

Badly shot, badly miked, badly sound synced, static, dull, confusing and annoying by turns, this weird little out-of-body experience makes no sense at all, even as a kiddie's fantasy. I have no idea what in the world the script writer and the director were trying to do, and I'm pretty sure they didn't know either.

Not sorry I saw it as a Rifftrax experience, but I can't imagine the audience's reaction when this was shown for the first time in some junior high auditorium.

unintentionally creepy Christmas tale.

Author: navypablo from United States
1 May 2010

My wife and I both had head aches while watching this film. This satanic Christmas diddy should be shown in film schools as an example of how not to make a movie. From the incredibly bad editing to the atrocious acting, the remarkably bad lighting to the unsettling, nonsensical plot this film fails on all cylinders. My wife commented that she wished everyone in this movie would die except the turtle. It's easy to understand her feelings. There is one scene with an obese man who is supposed to be a giant that is especially disconcerting. But most harmful to any child who is unfortunate enough to view this is the message (if one can really be derived). It seems in the end that a satanic Christmas tree, brought into existence by black magic is to be desired by children on the night of Christs birth because it can grant the child awesome, evil powers over mankind and even help him to kidnap large jolly fat men. Unsettling.It's even more odd in that it takes place with in that classic 1950's nuclear house hold. Very unsettling, though often funny for it's extreme inability to get anything right.

Boy gets wishes granted from the Magic Christmastree

Author: CharCharpi from United States
28 March 2010

If you like scary Halloween movies and joyful Christmas movies, you will love this film. This film opens in black-&-white. It is late afternoon on Halloween in a small Western town. Three boys are walking home from school when they pass a spooky, ugly old house. The townspeople say that an evil witch lives there. The boys are terrified but curious.

One of the boys summons the courage to actually sneak into the yard. Suddenly, an old woman grabs him by the arm and he yells in terror! However, the old woman just wants him to help her get her cat out of a tree. He climbs the tree to get the cat out but he slips and falls on his head and is knocked unconscious. The cat then jumps out of the tree at which point, the film switches to color.

When the boy awakens, he sees that the spooky, ugly old house is now a beautiful mansion in the midst of a lush, green tropical paradise. The old woman is a beautiful young woman who really is a witch! The witch gives the boy a magic ring which has a secret compartment. In that compartment is a seed that will grow a magic Christmas tree. The witch explains that when he wears the ring, the Christmas tree will grant him three wishes.

Late one night, he plants the seed and by sunrise the next morning, a large, magnificent Christmas tree had grown. He then makes his three wishes.

His first wish is to have power. When the Christmas tree grants him the power, he gains the ability to turn objects into completely different objects, make cars and trucks move in any direction he wants them to move and to make people do whatever he wants just by pointing his finger at them.

However, he is not satisfied so, he makes his second wish. He wishes to have Santa Claus all to himself. When the Christmas tree grants this wish, he makes Santa his slave and forces him to give him more presents than he had ever dreamed of having before. Meanwhile, others are wondering what happened to Santa Claus. People all over the world from the New York Police Department to the Sacramento National Guard start looking for Santa Claus but because the boy has enslaved Santa, no one can find him.

However, despite his great powers and his control over Santa Claus, the boy is still not satisfied and he has only one wish left! What is his final wish? Watch this film to find out.

I liked the way this film uses black-&-white and color film to distinguish between the ordinary small town life and the Land of Magic. It reminded me of how the movie Wizard of Oz used black-&-white and color film to distinguish between ordinary Kansas farm life and the Land of Oz.

It is a cute story....

Author: Sean Richard McCarthy (srmccarthy1000@gmail.com) from United States
16 July 2000

I know it is silly and hard to believe, but (speaking from my childhood) I LIKED IT!!! I watched it when I was young (and liked it) and I watched it a couple weeks ago AND LIKED IT!! It is silly and SHOULD BE, because IT IS A KIDS MOVIE!!!!!! I liked its "Leave It To Beaver" beginning, and the 1960's style performance. I might be wrong, as I am 34 years old.

Perhaps this movie can only be judged perspectively by a child.