IMDb > It's Tough to Be a Bug (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

It's Tough to Be a Bug More at IMDbPro »

Great special effects, great theater they show this in!!!

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
27 February 2007

Voices of Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Cheech Marin and French Stewart.

This is a really entertaining 3-D movie. Where some other 3-D attractions are better in the movie portion, this one is good for many reasons. The plot for this is Flik is showing us, the humans, why bugs are our friends and not just pests. The movie itself I's give a 7 out of 10, but it gets an extra one for the great theater it's shown in resembling the inside of an ant hill. The wait for the ride is also in an ant hill with popular show tunes song by bugs. It's a really entertaining show and it's rather "cute." It can be seen at Florida's Animal Kingdom or Anaheim's California Adventure.

My rating: *** out of ****. 11 mins.

Great show!!

Author: twist1980 from Seattle, WA
24 June 2001

My family and I have seen a lot of 3-D shows through the years, and this has got to be one of my favorites! Even as you walk down the queue to the theater, everything is in character. You feel like your starting to go underground. Once you get to the theater, you are given bug eyes (3-D glasses, that look just like bug eyes). The show is great, and all of us from ages 5-55 just loved it. There are lots of surprises and once again Disney puts on a quality show! You can't miss this one if you go to California Adventure or Animal Kingdom!

I thought it was superb!!!

Author: Richard M. Smith from Leaminton, England
31 January 2000

When my girlfriend and I went to Disney World last September, Animal Kingdom was, like all the others, a fantastic theme park. The safari was incredible...to see such wonderful animals close (without going to Africa) was great!

The tree of life was a wonderful creation and...(yes I'm getting to it)...."It's tough to be a bug" was superb! The "Extra" special effects during the show were totally unexpected and very well done. I recommend it to anyone...even if you have already seen other 3D shows at the other parks...this one stands out in our memory!!

It's buggin' cute!

Author: pbscores from USA
23 October 1999

Only someone who goes to Disney World and expects short lines could find this adorable cartoon silly. I thought the special effects were adorable (and I didn't hear the crying baby one...think some people are just a little too cynical) and the bugs were hilarious! And Kevin Spacey is a voice, to boot! Can't beat that!

It's Tough not to Love a Bug

Author: Figment-23 from Orlando, Fl
7 July 1999

It's Tough to Be a Bug is the latest 3-D attraction at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fl. It has some of the same characters as A Bug's Life, the Pixar-Disney collaboration that was released recently. It shows how hard it is to get noticed as a bug and how hard life can be when you are chased, swatted, or sprayed. The best place to sit is the very back middle; here the 3-D effects are at their best. Before you enter the theater, be sure to read the posters in the lobby, they are quite funny.

Highly amusing and more than just 3D.

Author: anonymous from Orlando, Florida
22 May 1999

"It's Tough to Be a Bug" is a very funny look at how bugs deal with the world. The only problem with this attraction is the audience.

It's Tough to Tolerate a Bug

Author: Jorge Montes (senorweird@aol.com) from Miami, Florida
9 May 1999

Every Disney World theme park either has or had a 3D extravaganza. So, it makes sense that when they opened a new part, Animal Kingdon, they should have another one based on their upcoming Pixar film, "A Bug's Life". I mean, how could you go wrong with a computer generated 3D effects-fest? Oh, let me count the ways.

First, let me begin by saying what probably hurt the show the most: the park itself. With Countdown to Extinction being the only other half decent thing in the park, expectations are already borderline very low. Plus, the show is inside the main attraction of the park, a giant cement tree. Ooh, Disney made a fake tree! Like I can't buy one at a K-mart. It's not that the tree itself is boring, but in order to get to the theatre, you half to walk through the largest line on Earth (and I mean large by Disney's standards). When me and my friends saw the sign that said "15 wait from here", we didn't expect to walk the entire 15 minutes. And it's not as if there was a large crowd either. The only smart thing they did was offer free water half way through. Hey, it beat the monotony.

As for the show itself, not much better. Here's a concept: try making the effects work. The opening stars with a cute surprise, the theater "curtain" is actually a huge group of butterflies. Suddenly, one flies out at you. At least, I assume that's what it was doing. All I saw were two butterflies which should have merged into one to create 3D. My friend even leaned over to me and said "Hey! My glasses are broken!"

Even worse was the spider scene. Giant rubber spiders are lowered to about 5 feet above the audience. They're so cheesey and glow in the dark, that you want to laugh at them. But you assume it's scary cause there's the sound of a baby crying behind you. Of course, I look around, no baby in the entire theater. Youngest person was probably 13 years old. Come on, Disney. We know you fake it in the rides, but why the shows? Do you really think we're that dumb.

And as for plot? It's just a lame twist at the insect circus. Each one as obvious as the next. "Gee, look at the acid-spitting tarantula! I wonder what's going to happen next? Duh-huh-huh-huh!"'

Now, I will admit that there are two pleasant surprises in the show. First, the bee scene. I won't say what happens but let's just use a little of the logic I mentioned in my past paragraph. As for the end of the show, ok, I bought the bugs crawling under the seat too. Of course, any doof who's seen "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience" at Epcot (and chances are, if you're at Animal Kingdom, you've seen all the other parks enough) knows that Disney will do this to you. It's just expected rehashed material.

Bottom line: Even Captain EO was better than this waste of time. I'll take "Honey", or "Muppet-Vision 3D" over this anyday!

Only if you're a big fan of the movie.

Author: emasterslake from United States
14 May 2006

This 3-D show is pretty good to see. Has the same character designs and look from the 1998 Hit "A Bug's Life". It doesn't follow the movie but it does have the same dude who portrayed Hopper and Flick.

The whole show is done in Computer animation just like the movie it self.

Flick is your host, who'll show you that it's tough to be a bug.

Throughout the show you get to see Stinkbugs, Spiders, Hornets, and a giant Chameleon.

You're able to see this show at Disney's California Adventure or Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Just to let you know that it might frighten the little kids due to a part where it look like your getting stung by hornets.